The Last of Us Part 2 wins record breaking 6 awards at the Golden Joystick Awards

• 178 results
R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts
@ghost_of_phobos said:

gameplay and cut scenes, both ways that are part of videogame storytelling for at the very least 40 years.

Cutscenes were a storytelling method in videogames 40 years ago? Sorry I might've missed those Pacman cutscenes, you might wanna jog my memory there. TLOU 2 is ~20 hours long, ~9 hours of that is cutscenes. That's almost half of the game. That's a big yikes. People meme on Kojumbo all the time, but he's nowhere near that gameplay-to-movieshit ratio.

Cutscenes are a cop-out for videogames, just as a text crawl is for movies. It's what you fall back to when you're either out of budget or out of ideas.

Peak Videogaming here fellas:

Loading Video...
@ghost_of_phobos said:

Then your example of text crawl adds another layer of dumb into your argumentation as it would make much more sense to compare it with theatre, and guess what...

No it wouldn't.

Videogames are a medium that has a dimension to it that movies don't: Interactivity.

Movies have a dimension to them that books don't: Visual story-telling. And movies share that dimension with theater. So your proposed analogy yet again confirms your fails at comprehension.

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Cinema does share a lot with theatre when it comes to writing and storytelling and no, it doesn't need to abandon it's roots because it's a newer medium.

And since videogames don't share any roots with movies, your analogy falls on its face yet again. And if you think replicating movie storytelling makes for a good, let alone award-winning, videogame storytelling you're as dumb as the clowns who voted for these lame-ass awards.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@R10nu: Pac-Man (or it might have been Ms Pac-Man) did have small cutscenes between stages. It might be the first game to do this (at least from my memory).

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@vfighter: interesting, I never known (or realized) this.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 sakaiXx

@i_p_daily: too bad for you then IP, gamespot has a pretty weak stance on spoiler discussions.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@R10nu: lol dude you can't get one right. It's funny.

Yes, cutscenes have been part of video games storytelling since "forever".

Books absolutely can have a visual element. They do so for centuries.

Theatre and music have interactive elements for millennia. It's not exclusive for videogames.

Any the correlation between games and cinema dates at the very least since the early 90s.

So yeah, your ignorance is hilarious. But don't stop please. Can't wait to read your next reply.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

@MirkoS77: I can agree with Tommy being all over the place. They should of did more to hone on what he was thinking cause it’s as you said in beginning he wants revenge but wants Elle to stay out of it, you come across him torturing people, sniping people but then is willing to walk away? Then after that wants Elle to take revenge because he can’t? I doubt Tommy will be important to part 3 but who knows.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

TLOU2's story is among the worst in the history of entertainment. It's a real shame that Ghost of Tsushima and FF7R will get snubbed just so some blue checkmark weirdos can circle jerk to wokeness.

This really is the video game equivalent to TLJ.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@i_p_daily: too bad for you then IP, gamespot has a pretty weak stance on spoiler discussions.

No too bad for you, like i said its been nearly 6 months since its been out, and nearly what 9 months or so since its dopey story had been plastered all over the net for people to see.

Build a bridge & get over it :)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#159 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Zidaneski said:

@MirkoS77: I can agree with Tommy being all over the place. They should of did more to hone on what he was thinking cause it’s as you said in beginning he wants revenge but wants Elle to stay out of it, you come across him torturing people, sniping people but then is willing to walk away? Then after that wants Elle to take revenge because he can’t? I doubt Tommy will be important to part 3 but who knows.

What bothers me is I saw absolutely no reason for Tommy's shift. I try to place it in the narrative to some purpose but can't. He just seemed to do it completely arbitrarily which was 100% contrary not only the effort he'd put out previously to get there, but to the driving force of his decision, revenge, which isn't a fleeting motive. Abby was literally a day or two hunt away, and they were on her trail.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@Zidaneski said:

What bothers me is I saw absolutely no reason for Tommy's shift. I try to place it in the narrative to some purpose but can't. He just seemed to do it completely arbitrarily which was 100% contrary not only the effort he'd put out previously to get there, but to the driving force of his decision, revenge, which isn't a fleeting motive. Abby was literally a day or two hunt away, and they were on her trail.

Getting knocked off a pier and into rapid waters below may make you think twice about continuing your journey.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#161 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

@vfighter said:

@R10nu: Pac-Man (or it might have been Ms Pac-Man) did have small cutscenes between stages. It might be the first game to do this (at least from my memory).

After remembering Pac-Man in the arcades (and on the Atari 5200) during the 1980s, I did remember the small cutscenes. At the time, they were things I never seen in a video game before and I found them entertaining.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

TLOU2 is certainly one of the best games this year. I just can't for the life of me figure out what people see in Death Stranding though....but best PC game? LOL I'd personally give a nod to Visage on PC. The scariest game I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of playing. The final build was released several weeks ago. I can only imagine playing it in VR as a form of self harm.

I do see a lot of Ghost of Tsushima talk in here too. Just finished the game and it is a solid 8. The combat system is great but it's flaws definitely detract from it's strengths. Outside of the main storyline and a couple character stories, the game is flat and dull (not to mention the motivation between Jin and his Uncle's rift is fairly stupid). The shrines, fox dens, etc., are all boring and too plentiful. There's simply nothing interesting to find in the world like you would in RDR2 or GTA. It feels empty. Pretty, but empty. By the end of the game you're so powerful it's laughable. I had to turn it to the highest difficulty just to make it interesting. It didn't need to be Sekiro hard but the AI is so brain dead dumb that there's little challenge once you unlock final tier ghost abilities and gear. If Sucker Punch does decide on making a follow up they have a solid kernel to work with.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#163 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

Did anyone seriously think the Game of the Decade wasn't going to snatch up all the GOTY awards?

I really wished Cyberpunk 2077 released on time, just to see it win zero GOTY awards because of TLOU2.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#164 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11266 Posts

Also Death Stranding winning PC GOTY is quite hilarious. enjoy the sloppy seconds.

But should not come as a surprise. Death Stranding is vastly superior to any other PC game of 2020.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 R10nu

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Yes, cutscenes have been part of video games storytelling since "forever".

And the point you're trying to make here is? Sounds ludditic, but do go on.

@ghost_of_phobos said:
Books absolutely can have a visual element. They do so for centuries.

Jesus, now we're bundling in covers and illustrations as "book storytelling", huh? Books (not comics) rely on neither for their storytelling. They're completely optional fluff that may and will differ depending on the publisher.

@ghost_of_phobos said:
Theatre and music have interactive elements for millennia. It's not exclusive for videogames.

And the weasel word of the day is "element". I'm getting second-hand embarrassment from you having to put yourself through this. None of your faff correlates to the "text crawl movies getting Oscars" hypothetical or the fact that movie storytelling doesn't make a good videogame storytelling.

Have some decency to make one good faith argument for a change.

@ghost_of_phobos said:
Any the correlation between games and cinema dates at the very least since the early 90s.

So odd 20 years after their inception. Thanks for confirming my point.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

Can't deny the game's a technical marvel, but storywise, I've seen better.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 sakaiXx

@HoolaHoopMan: probably the popularity. Its probably the most high profile PC release alongside Horizon Zero Dawn and later, Cyberpunk 2077 this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe

@R10nu: Dude stop being ignorant. Your whole point was comparing the storytelling in TLoU2 to a movie using text crawl as a primary way of storytelling. (Could have pointed star wars as a joke too tbh)

I took it as an exaggeration and made a joke.

Then you took offence for some reason and been showing off your ignorance since then. And you still insist on doing so.

TLoU2 does its storytelling through cutscenes, through interactivity and through the environments. Basically like games since they've been technically able have been doing. So all your reasoning is idiotic.

I'm not ever arguing about the quality of the writing,. At this point I'm just pointing out your ignorance.

And yes dude, book illustrations are 100% a form of storytelling in books. Even if was just comics, it would absolutely count as so. But I was actually thinking on the work of William Blake when I mentioned it. But coming from someone who thought that there were no cut scenes in the 80s it's not surprising that you're ignorant about everything else.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By R10nu

@ghost_of_phobos said:

Your whole point was comparing the storytelling in TLoU2 to a movie using text crawl as a primary way of storytelling. (Could have pointed star wars as a joke too tbh)

Would still fit the hypothetical. SW didn't get any Oscars for its storytelling, did it?

Now imagine if it wasn't just the intro sequence, but half of the film. Would that be award-winning storytelling?

@ghost_of_phobos said:
TLoU2 does its storytelling through cutscenes, through interactivity and through the environments.

Like what, doing a QTE? What's interactive about me not being able to kill Abby, save Jessie, stop the Wolfs' attack on Scar village, etc, etc? You've already conceded that TLOU 2 overly relies on cutscenes. So don't try and walk that back like you didn't understand my point.

Here, I'll spell it out for you: Storytelling (not story, that a different thing, get it?) in TLOU 2 is as pedestrian and backwards-thinking as it gets.

Argue with that instead of weaseling round in circles while publicly self-fellating over how allegedly smart and educated you are.

@ghost_of_phobos said:

And yes dude, book illustrations are 100% a form of storytelling in books.

Examples of illustrations telling key parts of the story not present in the text itself?

@ghost_of_phobos said:
But coming from someone who thought that there were no cut scenes in the 80s it's not surprising that you're ignorant about everything else.

Is this another one of your "jokes", or just you being a regular twat again?

Pardon me, hard to separate the two since both are equally dismissive and patronizing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe

@R10nu: Stop embarrassing yourself please.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 R10nu

@ghost_of_phobos said:

@R10nu: Stop embarrassing me please.

Since you're asking nicely.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@R10nu: Jebus you're a complete moron.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

You notice PC's game of the year is sloppy seconds from PS4? LOL!

@sakaixx said:

Congratulations to Naughty Dogs team bringing home 6 awards!

One of my personal fav new game of 2020 tied with FF7R and Ghost of Tsushima. Many voted for it even though there is a bit of outrage by certain section of fans and salty console warriors showing how small yet vocal that crowd is. Seen so many publishers link this award show and request fans to vote so it seems quite a relevant award. Nintendo and surprising entry this year, Microsot awarded a token award for their contributions for their game efforts releasing games on their respective consoles. Congratulations!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of winners below;

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Death Stranding got PC GOTY? Lol wut...?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 sakaiXx

@PernicioEnigma: it is also still one of Steam top 10 best sellers of the month. Game is more popular than this forum would suggest.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

‘Best storytelling - The Last of Us 2’

The story even fans of the first game hated with a passion?

Yea, ok...

Just another marketing event. Probably with Sony as the primary sponsor.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 sakaiXx

@Sevenizz: Nice of Sony to give Ori the win for xbox platform, enjoy. Next year MLB 21 and on will be dominating that category 😂😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#178 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

‘Best storytelling - The Last of Us 2’

The story even fans of the first game hated with a passion?

Yea, ok...

Just another marketing event. Probably with Sony as the primary sponsor.

BS. The story was awesome. The ones that couldn't get over Joel's death are the ones that consider the whole thing being bad because their daddy Joel died. I fund it to be one of the best and most intriguing stories in a game in years. I can't even remember the last time a story in a video game got me this intrigued to see what happens next.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@PernicioEnigma: it is also still one of Steam top 10 best sellers of the month. Game is more popular than this forum would suggest.

True, but there are so many PC exclusives in genres unique to PC that would've been more deserving of the title PC GOTY. Giving the award to Death Stranding is just lazy IMO.

I'm not hating on Death Stranding. From what I've read it's a really good port, which is to be commended because good ports are far from an assurance, even with big publishers.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 sakaiXx

@PernicioEnigma: this award is based on people's choice so you know, the majority voted for it instead of whatever else.