The Last Guardian Was Never on Hiatus (IGN article)

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/03/the-last-guardian-was-never-on-hiatus

Despite rumours to the contrary, it appears that The Last Guardian was never actually on hiatus.

That's according to Sony's Shuhei Yoshida, who pointed the finger at Sony America's Jack Tretton during an interview with Games Industry for putting the idea out there earlier this year.

"Hiatus, I never... It was Jack Tretton!" he explained. "He used that term, and I said no, hiatus is misleading. It was a hiatus in terms of releasing new information. The game has never stopped - the team has always been here. They're going through the re-engineering of the game, so the team size is smaller, because it's more engineering focused right now."

"We're waiting for the right time to re-introduce The Last Guardian in an appropriate way," he said. "I can't... Well, the game is in development, and it's well staffed, and Ueda-san is here, working - even though he's not a Sony employee, he's dedicated to the product. But we're not ready to update yet."

Shuhei Yoshida sounds like he's in Denial of the Game's Actual Progress.

It's looking like we will see Half Life 3 before we see anything from The Last Guardian.

cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

It was Jack Tretton! Whatever you say mayne. Either way, if it ever comes out, it's a first day purchase for me.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

After so many years and missed opportunities to show the game (E3 / TGS etc) I lost 99% of my hope in ever seeing this game getting released... However I'll keep that 1% alive deep within my gaming heart :(

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

So... is this another FF 13 Versus scenario where it just migrates to the PS4?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.
NexApex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 NexApex
Member since 2012 • 225 Posts

It's just a little disappointing how Sony gaves the boot to Liverpool and Zipper Interactive but keep around a team who hasn't released a single game in the past 9 years.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts
People should just stop bringing up this game until actually show that it's in development.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

StrifeDelivery
As soon as they brought in a second studio and pulled the curtains on the game it was pretty obvious what they were doing, the game could be a big system seller on PS4 or at least something new and next gen. I'm guessing just like GT5 the largest amount of time will be engine related hence the small team working on "engineering" so maybe by the time January comes we'll see a release date and a new trailer.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
It is amazing this game is still being hyped in any form at all. The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. Can you imagine if this game was a multiplate and being vaporware the way it is? It would be a joke on the level of Duke Nukem.
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts
It's never coming ... Sony duped you guys in e3 3 years ago
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. CanYouDiglt
yea... it's definitely not hyped because ICO and SOTC were both incredible games, critically acclaimed, well received by gamers.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
I'm curious how many millions have gone into this game so far, at some point if Sony can't finish it they're going to pull the plug. I mean how much do they actually expect to make off of it?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Could of fooled me.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
It is amazing this game is still being hyped in any form at all. The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. Can you imagine if this game was a multiplate and being vaporware the way it is? It would be a joke on the level of Duke Nukem.CanYouDiglt
Like Half Life 3?
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

It's just a little disappointing how Sony gaves the boot to Liverpool and Zipper Interactive but keep around a team who hasn't released a single game in the past 9 years.

NexApex

I agree it is a shame but, Team Ico is one of, if not the best dev of all time...imo.

I can see why they don't want to lose them, but releasing no games for an entire gen is ridiculous.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

It was Jack Tretton! Whatever you say mayne. Either way, if it ever comes out, it's a first day purchase for me.

cloudff7tm

I preordered it like 2 or 3 years ago. :lol:

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Waitstation: The Probably Next Next Gen Gaming Experience
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Don't care, I lost hope for the game. Even if it comes out I don't think it will wow me like it could have when my anticipation was high. Hopefully it's still decent at least but if they said in the morning it was canned I wouldn't really be upset

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

At this point i just hope it doesn't become another duke nukem forever

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Re-engineering? Perhaps that means they've moved the title to the PS4... I mean, by the time this comes out, the PS3 will be long dead.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

cloudff7tm
agreed. love their work
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Re-engineering? Perhaps that means they've moved the title to the PS4... I mean, by the time this comes out, the PS3 will be long dead.

organic_machine

By the time the game comes out, we will probably be hearing about PS5. :P

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

yeah because being on hiatus is worse news than your shytty game was shytty and you had to go back to the drawing board.

tretton was trying to save face and this dude just blew it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Despite rumours to the contrary, it appears that The Last Guardian was never actually on hiatus.

That's according to Sony's Shuhei Yoshida, who pointed the finger at Sony America's Jack Tretton during an interview with Games Industry for putting the idea out there earlier this year.

"Hiatus, I never... It was Jack Tretton!" he explained. "He used that term, and I said no, hiatus is misleading. It was a hiatus in terms of releasing new information. The game has never stopped - the team has always been here. They're going through the re-engineering of the game, so the team size is smaller, because it's more engineering focused right now."

"We're waiting for the right time to re-introduce The Last Guardian in an appropriate way," he said. "I can't... Well, the game is in development, and it's well staffed, and Ueda-san is here, working - even though he's not a Sony employee, he's dedicated to the product. But we're not ready to update yet."

LegatoSkyheart

It's looking like we will see Half Life 3 before we see anything from The Last Guardian.

So it's not on hiatus, there just hasn't been any word or progress for the past 8 years and no word on when the game will ever see the light of day. Or, as normal people would call it...HIATUS!

Hiatus doesn't mean the game was killed. If they are "re-engineering it" (whatever that even means), won't talk about it, have no release date, have let go most of the staff and "waiting for the right time for the game to be re-introduced" then the game is on hiatus. Just like a tv show that isn't technically cancelled but disappears and the networks aren't sure when they will announce when the show will come back.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

I think they are going to rename and put it  on PS4 at this point

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Shuhei Yoshida blaming Jack Tretton... Internal conflict at Sony? 

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.

2009 -2013 is 8 years?
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.Nengo_Flow
2009 -2013 is 8 years?

He must be confusing it with FF Versus XIII?

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Pretty much lost all hype until new footage is shown for PS4 version. What's amazing is that even the original concept is something we haven't seen in any other game similar to how Shadow of the Colossus still has no equal. So if the game ever comes out me and everyone I know will be there to pick it up.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

As much as I hate to say it, Sony should have axed the whole project over a year ago. It's obviously a disaster. The very fact that they haven't been able to show anything of the game--not a trailer, not a five minute gameplay vid, NOTHING--within the span of four years should have tipped the execs off at Sony. 

I know Sony is generally pretty lenient with their devs and don't like to interfere much, but at some point, you have to wake up and pull the plug.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#31 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
this overdevelopment is a sure sign of a terrible game.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.Nengo_Flow
2009 -2013 is 8 years?

SOTC was released 8 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

NexApex

Team ICO is a legend in gaming with only two games released. Liverpool and Zipper were not

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Really?
Then thats even sadder news.

I can understand a hiatus fine you had to stop development to work on other things or to wait till technology caught up to your vision but its still in development? you have no reason for taking 8 years to produce this game you could have limited your vision to produce your vision or split your vision up into multiple games so as to produce something as close to your vision on the available hardware.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.

2009 -2013 is 8 years?

It has been in development since shortly after Shadow of the Colossus released. That was October 2005. And you call yourself a Sony fan.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

The people in charge of making that game are morons.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts
TLG lives on. I can't wait to see some new footage. The only ones who see bad news out of this are the people who look for troubles. That describes most on SW :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Then it'll look even more fantastic on PS4. Come on Team ICO, make it happen! 

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

StrifeDelivery
they should just cancel FF13 versus and the last guardian it's too late they will turn out like DNF.
Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.

2009 -2013 is 8 years?

You thought just because they revealed it in 09, that's when development started? lol. just lol.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

That's according to Sony's Shuhei Yoshida, who pointed the finger at Sony America's Jack Tretton during an interview with Games Industry for putting the idea out there earlier this year.

LegatoSkyheart

Yoshida would know alot more about the game's development than Tretton, who would only know what Yoshida tells him. 

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
Lems don't like to hear this news guys..
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts

It is amazing this game is still being hyped in any form at all. The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. Can you imagine if this game was a multiplate and being vaporware the way it is? It would be a joke on the level of Duke Nukem.CanYouDiglt

pretty much

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]It is amazing this game is still being hyped in any form at all. The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. Can you imagine if this game was a multiplate and being vaporware the way it is? It would be a joke on the level of Duke Nukem.tastetheacidmil

pretty much

So it's not even remotely possible that it's hyped because people just happen to enjoy Shadow of the Colossus ? A game that has inspired other developers.... 

Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]It is amazing this game is still being hyped in any form at all. The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. Can you imagine if this game was a multiplate and being vaporware the way it is? It would be a joke on the level of Duke Nukem.tastetheacidmil

pretty much

No, not pretty much that.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Maybe showing some progress people might be convinced.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
I hope it will be for the PS4.....i don't see any reason to release this game on PS3.
Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts

[QUOTE="tastetheacidmil"]

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]It is amazing this game is still being hyped in any form at all. The only reason this game is hyped is because of Sony fanboys and the game is exclusive. Can you imagine if this game was a multiplate and being vaporware the way it is? It would be a joke on the level of Duke Nukem.Clock-w0rk

pretty much

No, not pretty much that.

to you maybe
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jag85

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]So... it's been in development for eight years. Let's hope this isn't the next DNF.foxhound_fox
2009 -2013 is 8 years?

It has been in development since shortly after Shadow of the Colossus released. That was October 2005.

And you call yourself a Sony fan.

The Last Guardian began development in 2007, six years ago, and was revealed in 2009, four years ago.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jag85

[QUOTE="StrifeDelivery"]

metal_zombie

they should just cancel FF13 versus and the last guardian it's too late they will turn out like DNF.

FF Versus XIII has already been revived as FF XV...

Anyway, I think what was affecting both FF Versus XIII and The Last Guardian is something called "writer's block", a condition often faced by quite a lot of writers/artists/developers.