NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14799 Posts

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/the-intellivision-amico-release-has-been-delayed-until-autumn-2021/

Sorry Intellivision fanboys but yall will have to wait a little bit longer!

But on a serious note who the hell are they expecting to sell this thing to?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 30006 Posts

Lol, I remember they originally wanted to launch it against the next gen consoles.

Not sure what their plan is really. They wanted to go after the non Sony/Xbox market but Nintendo has that under lock and key.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1900 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: You must live under a rock, there are tons of people still playing, desiging games and hardware for most all the old consoles and computers.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2964 Posts

Intellivision fanboys? Lmfao, like those exist. It's a failed console anyway, it doesn't even have to release to be declared such. The one reason the Intellivision didn't make it to the generation after what because of how stupid and awkward that controller was. So Tallarico's bright idea is to make that same controller breed with a Wiimote and a cell phone. Right, because to use a touchscreen to play some lame ass flash games, I totally want to spend $300+ on a console when I could just use a phone.

Like seriously, who is this crap even marketed to? Retro gamers? Not really, the Intellivision wasn't that popular, and the few people with some kind of nostalgia for it are over 40. Kids have absolutely no interest in it either, yet games are being marketed towards children. So who is this even for?

I ain't touching this system.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 38398 Posts

Why not just do a collection and release it as a game? Maybe they could stand to sell hardware by making those classic controllers and selling it with games in a bundle for existing consoles.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Eoten

@lamprey263 said:

Why not just do a collection and release it as a game? Maybe they could stand to sell hardware by making those classic controllers and selling it with games in a bundle for existing consoles.

Controller? You mean that iPod?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 6078 Posts

The intellivision wasn't THAT popular? Although it didn't achieve A2600 heights, it made a mark.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10318 Posts

Wasn't that the system that was getting the new Earthworm Jim exclusively?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Eoten

@Telekill said:

Wasn't that the system that was getting the new Earthworm Jim exclusively?

Supposedly, assuming it ever actually materializes as a system and just doesn't keep getting delayed until Tallarico runs out of money. But to be perfectly honest, there's no way I care to play a 2D platform with a frickin touchscreen. If instead of that stupid Intellivision controller they went with a more conventional retro-themes controller, you know, something with a d-pad and face buttons, maybe a couple shoulder buttons, and games were being developed around that, I'd probably buy one. I wouldn't mind a retro-oriented console with some good exclusives, but there ain't shit "retro" about touchscreens.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15455 Posts

It's probably targeted towards the 40+ crowd. I can't imagine this thing selling to the under-40 crowd. The Atari 2600 is even older, but that had the benefit of the 2600 Jr extending its lifespan into the NES era. Whereas the Intellivision died with the crash.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7216 Posts
@Jag85 said:

It's probably targeted towards the 40+ crowd. I can't imagine this thing selling to the under-40 crowd. The Atari 2600 is even older, but that had the benefit of the 2600 Jr extending its lifespan into the NES era. Whereas the Intellivision died with the crash.

If they wanted to attract that nostalgia crowd they should have just done a retro console. That's what i assumed this was (I was coming in to wonder "why does a retro console keep getting delayed, and why does anybody care". But this thing is apparently an all new console. Seems like it's probably about Nintendo Switch level of power? It's a bit delusional of them to think they could get $299 for it. Nintendo has that pricing power, realistically this thing has no chance IMO.

That being said, I'm not even sure anyone would want a retro intellivision. Those controllers were whack. My parents had one, before my time, and I remember busting it out as a kid. There were probably some OK games in it's era, but stuff like that is just TOO retro for me and I don't think anybody would want a retro version of those controllers LOL.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 7095 Posts

I'll be getting one and the Atari at some point. I was going to get the Atari for a make shift Steam box, but just decided to go bigger and buy a PC tower that I'll be using as a console hooked up to my TV.

I'm looking to get a top of the line or damn near that prebuilt (I'm lazy.. sue me) that I don't need to update for a few years. I'm looking in the $2,000-$3,000 range and just the tower, so if anyone has any ideas, well, I'm all ears.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8860 Posts

Were talking about earthworm jim exclusivity what is this the 1995's?