The "I don't sit at a desk when I game on my PC" club roundup.

• 62 results
Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

So, just so we all are clear about things like broadband connection, and digital downloads are in the same category as not having to game at a desk when playing on PC, being 2016 and all....I wanted to make this roundup thread.

I game on a recliner.

I specifically picked a recliner where the arms were wide enough for the wall against my chair to hold a thin pillow for my mouse pad...which luckily is an old Alienware one that has a hard bottom so it doesn't bend.

My keyboard is across my left leg onto the left arm of the recliner.

This requires a large tv. So I play on a 4K capable 43 inch Sony HDTV that does HDR.

It's the fucking shit and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

I play in front of my TV with a controller when a game does not support 21:9 for some reason, or when it absolutely plays better with a controller.

But most of the games I play are shooters and strategy games, so yeah desk with a comfortable chair all the way !

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I play mouse and keyboard games on desktop, then i switch the screen to my living room TV with one click and grab a gamepad when i play on a couch.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

I also use a recliner, never used a desk or computer chair for years, no intention of going back.

Started using steam link down-stair as well, works perfecto.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I've no problems sitting at a desk and PC game. If the game is best with a controller and my gf doesn't watch TV, I game on the TV while sitting in the sofa.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

Have a great chair for desktop gaming and I tend to do most of my pad gaming on it too, I do rarely game on couch too via steamlink and occasionally play those plastic boxes some refer to as consoles.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I have my PC connected to my Tv and a screen on a table close to it (to use if there's something else on the Tv). It's in the living room and I always play on my couch. For comfortable keyboard / mouse playing I use a Couchmaster:

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I rarely play games that need both mouse and keyboard, I play mostly football manager (mouse only) and other games I'll use a controller for.

So my PC is by my big TV in living room and I game on the couch

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts

I always have my PC connected to a TV.

I used to use a desk and monitor but prefer the comfort of a recliner, especially for 1+ hour plays.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I just use a generic pine wood TV tray to place my wireless mouse and keyboard on. The set up works fine for singleplayer games.

My den is actually the guest bedroom. When a relative stays over, I have to move my PC to the living room.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I have an HTPC couch setup that I use to play on a 50" Panasonic Plasma (the best 50" model). I'll upgrade to the next year's LG OLED when they drop. It has an i5 6600k, 16Gb, and a GTX 1070.

Honestly, I don't know how I'd live without this thing. Boots up instantly, has the capabilitry to do virtually everything, strong as hell gaming machine (1080p, everything 100+ FPS). Can play emulators and has a massive library. Whenever friends comes over I have a million games I can boot up and I can do it instantly. I can also LAN with my main gaming rig, pretty much making for perfect coop gameplay.

The gaming and media capabilities of everything else is kind of a joke by comparison.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I used to have a bullshit setup like that now I just game on console. No need to stress myself out with all kinds of bullshit peripherals just to play console ports.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

I used to have a bullshit setup like that now I just game on console. No need to stress myself out with all kinds of bullshit peripherals just to play console ports.

I R8 8/8^88

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

It depends on what game I'll play, but I mostly use my TV with a gamepad.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I'm not part of that club.

Sitting upright at a desk is basically a requirement for me to play games with a high focus on gameplay that need any sort of precision, accuracy, speed, etc. to play.

But when it comes to console games I'm the same way. I sit on my knees 2-3 feet from the TV.

I just don't really play games where I can slump in a sofa 8 feet away, and turn my brain off while playing.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I like sitting at my desk.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I sit at my desk and game most the time also. I have a nice posture chair to help give me support. Sometimes i game on the couch too, but i mainly watch TV Shows and Movies on the couch. I play my PC, Wii U, and 3DS at the desk most the time.

I use to have issues with my wrist from playing shooters and strategy games too much on PC. But ive been exercising and diversifying my gaming habits more. So i dont have as much problems anymore.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I do both and easily switch between one and the other. I mostly game at the desk though and that is what I prefer.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

I avoid playing with mouse and keyboard, altogether.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I do use a desk for my PC, a nice big pine desk with loads of room. When my mates come round I just change the channel on the TV and use controllers instead.

I used to have a man cave then the twins came along and my man cave became a playroom and then one of the girls bedrooms. I now have a corner in the living room.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Once I can get to the city again I'm going to get steam link and an adapter so I can use my elite controller wirelessly for some games but tbh my desk setup is comfortable and I'm starting to have problems reading off a TV in my old age lel

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I tried the "gaming on the couch" thing for awhile, but really I just prefer the desk.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

I also play console games in a computer chair -- sometimes at a desk.

The people on the couch can spectate (unless we're playing a multiplayer game).

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I have a desktop, but as often as not I use my laptop on the couch and either play on it or on more demanding games stream from the desktop. On occasion I've streamed to my tv, but I tend to prefer to have the TV on while i'm playing, or hang out with the missus while she watches.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Like others in here, I do both. I have my PC hooked up to my TV at all times and if a game plays well with a controller I'll play on the TV sitting on a couch. If it plays better with a mouse I'll play it at my desk.

flexibility is definitely the biggest strength of PC gaming

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Used to do a little of both, but there's just no way I can go back to couch gaming now. Not even for my consoles.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

still looks like easy prey in any fps/tps for someone that plays on a desk.

webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts

My computer is connected to my 4k tv. I open up steam, and play in big picture mode with my xbox controller. I pretty much play my PC the same way I play my xbox.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I have my whole desktop/TV setup around my "desk". Actually it's not even a desk, it's like a tall open cabinet design that simply has a tray that when it comes out forms a pseudo-desk surface. I actually simply put a plank over the arms of my chair and that is my "desk" when I use the TV which is slightly to the left. I would love a fully reclinable one but I'm happy with the mobility my chair has because of my dual setup so I will have to stick with the few degrees it can recline. That said I mostly use my desktop, usually only use the TV when playing with someone else.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I'm normal and game with my desktop PC at my desktop.. Bunch of half-breed console gamers in here masquerading as PC gamers...

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Huggles_dog

@dynamitecop said:

I'm normal and game with my desktop PC at my desktop.. Bunch of half-breed console gamers in here masquerading as PC gamers...

You won't say that when I kick your ass in CS GO!!!!!!!!!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ConanTheStoner  Online

@dynamitecop said:

I think that's the beauty of PC though. You can go about it any way you want. From the desktop, from the couch, on the go, through an arcade cabinet, etc.

I mean, I'm with you. I'm not going to give up my multi monitor set up, my high refresh rates, my fast response times, my wired input devices, my chair that is built specifically for extended periods of sitting, etc. just to slump on a couch and game on a big screen. My couch and TV are there for movies and shows, not for extended periods of concentration.

But that's just me. If someone prefers to veg out on the couch and enjoy their PC, that works too.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I do both with no problems. I usually play single player games (mostly RPGs or third person shooters) with a controller while sitting on the couch , or laying in bed.

Otherwise, I'm playing at my desk with mouse and keyboard with no problems for games like Overwatch, xcom, civ,etc .

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: Xbox controller, TV and pc for the win. I hate gaming at a desk. All games should have gamepad implementation, it's clearly the way games are supposed to be played

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@robokill said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Xbox controller, TV and pc for the win. I hate gaming at a desk. All games should have gamepad implementation, it's clearly the way games are supposed to be played

That is so wrong on so many levels and for so many game genres, especially on PC.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ConanTheStoner  Online
@robokill said:

All games should have gamepad implementation, it's clearly the way games are supposed to be played

Agreed with the bold when it makes sense to do so. I don't think arena shooter devs or RTS devs should trouble themselves with gamepad support. But for most games, sure. Because more options for input is always better.

As for the rest of the post, disagreed. It's clearly just what you're most comfortable with which is why you say that. For some games/genres, certain input devices are going to be objectively superior. Outside of that it's nothing more than preference.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@robokill said:

Just no no no no. Some games this is fine on, but strategy and simulation games absolutely not. Playing games like TW or Civ or FM or Ck2 , etc etc etc would be a nightmare on a controller

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Definitely prefer to lay back in bed with a controller or mouse and keyboard lazily positioned whenever possible, but I find upright at desk the only viable way to play FPS, especially multiplayer. Don't know how full consolites can prefer analog sticks for aiming in those.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@robokill said:

Just no no no no. Some games this is fine on, but strategy and simulation games absolutely not. Playing games like TW or Civ or FM or Ck2 , etc etc etc would be a nightmare on a controller

Playing shooters or strategy games with a controller is just a big no.

On the other hand playing racing games or sports games with a mouse and keyboard is also quite difficult.

Luckily PC allows for any type of input. And if you really want, I guess strategy games can be played with the steam controller :)

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@robokill said:

Steam controller works fine with Civ, tho playing from couch isn't that great with the text sizes etc

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

I like to game on the toilet. My PC is in the bathroom. I can even use it when I'm in the shower, but it gets a little tricky.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#45 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I used to play with a TV but I gave it to my brother (who had more need of it than I did), I'm happy with my current 27inch screen but man I'd LOVE to go back to using a TV, I will eventually get myself a 50inch 4k screen when the time is right, but yeah for now I'm using the good ol desk :)

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

This!

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mr_Huggles_dog

@SOedipus said:
@dynamitecop said:

This!

Why you no want to live in 2016?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I like sitting at my desk.

Same. I prefer sitting at a desk.

With single player games, I also choose to play on the highest difficulty, so slouching back in a couch isn't necessarily the most enjoyable way to game in that sense.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I prefer playing at a desk. I have tried the recliner thing and it was fine... Just not my thing I guess. I even hook consoles up to my monitor to play at my desk instead. And since getting rid of cable a few years ago I watch most shows at my desk too. Unless I'm watching something with the wife, then we lay in bed and watch. Movies are really the only thing we use our main TV for these days.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

I have mine connected to my TV as it's a HTPC/gaming PC. I prefer a controller (sacrilege), so it makes things a lot easier.