Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

The Steam Machine aka gimped PCs which games are unoptimized for has sold less than 500,000 units based on the gamepad sales figure which is in the ballpark of 500,000. Can we concur that the Steam Machine is a flop?

The original article

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

There's been multiple threads on this apparently. Shame, but the initiative was botched as it was so this was expected.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Guess you could say...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

...they ran out of steam.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Basinboy:

You win.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

"Based on gamepad sales" ... err.... its probably ALOT lower than that then, as people are buying the gamepad seperatlyt.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Damn Valve really needs to put in a better Ad campaign, limit the number of Steam Machines from different brands to no more than 3 so less confusion for people that are not as tech savvy the overpriced/expensive ones need to get the boot, I think even some exclusives would be alright, they also need to get more media like a Netflix or Hulu app, and overall better driver support. With Vulkan out now all Valve needs to do is work with developers and linux porting teams like Feral and Aspyr to help create proper linux ports and give them some incentives to do it like more marketing on the front page of steam.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Basinboy: Whelp... Thread's over. Came for the pun, and wasn't disappointed.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Yeah, the steam machine is worthless trash, you are better off building your own pc.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

There is a thread about the controller selling that. What a misleading title you have.

Shawty_Beatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Shawty_Beatz
Member since 2014 • 1269 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

"Based on gamepad sales" ... err.... its probably ALOT lower than that then, as people are buying the gamepad seperatlyt.

Oh look, someone else with a brain figured this out. It's like the OP turned their brain off when they made this thread.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Neo will be a steam machine. one that actually sells.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I wonder how much money valve put into this? All those big PC makers have them all over there site and only that little sold?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I didn't even know it was out

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@NoodleFighter: Forget it! All of Valve are nothing but engineers and programmers, they have no experience in marketing at all. Also, Steam OS is dead in the water so don't expect Valve to keep supporting it long as more PC gamers are switching to Windows 10.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:

I wonder how much money valve put into this? All those big PC makers have them all over there site and only that little sold?

Well all it is as a version of Debian/Ubuntu with the Linux version of steam pre installed, so I guess not much. They don't actually make the hardware.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@ten_pints said:
@ProtossRushX said:

Well all it is as a version of Ubuntu with the Linux version of steam pre installed, so I guess not much. They don't actually make the hardware.

Yeah but they have to pay for the advertisement why would the PC makers put them up on the front page if they don't sell?

Also they put in stores too and if they didn't sell in the stores the store would get mad at them.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I saw this coming based on prices of the various Steam Machines alone.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Barely none, they ran around working with other companies and getting them to help invest. They fixed the pricing and adjusted it like PC parts usually do due to low sales. These PC companies are good at pricing hardware to cover themselves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@iandizion713: good point but I doubt they will work with valve ever again after being burned hard here. You really don't want to burn your bridges console gamers are huge and that was bridge that valve should not have burned.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@ProtossRushX: I doubt it, for them it was low risk high reward. They just getting started. Steammachine is a chance to stand out and make a name for yourself. And in the PC market, its crazy, companies rise from the ashes everyday.

If a company can make a nice Steammachine that destroys PS4 for same price, they could sell a million +. With the new cards coming out, its possible. We just watched the $1K Titan get beat by a $500 card.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Basinboy said:

Guess you could say...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Epic.

I knew it would flop. No self respecting PC gamer would buy those gimped PCs and they are also too overpriced for consolites.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Considering how overpriced those boxes are it's no surprise that sales are low. And that controller, while I appreciate the attempt at innovation, is useless because KB/M>>> all for nearly every genre and what is left is best suited for an X360 pad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@quadknight said:
@Basinboy said:

Guess you could say...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Epic.

I knew it would flop. No self respecting PC gamer would buy those gimped PCs and they are also too overpriced for consolites.

hahaha

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I don't even know what a Steam Machine is supposed to be, to be honest. I thought it was just a new form factor for small performance PCs, and actually considered getting one as an upgrade, but since then it's just been a muddled mess with no clear target consumer.

Valve want Steam to become a hardware-independent gaming platform, that was clear from the start. I just don't think they were as clear about what they wanted from Steam Machines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I remember I was calling it would flop on this very board, and multiple Valve fanboys were convinced it would not. The entire initiative was always botched- the product is a half assed solution to a problem with a far cleaner solution, using a model that already failed 20 years ago with the 3D0, and with no commitment or seriousness shown by Valve whatsoever. Hardware requires focus and commitment, two things that Valve very clearly lack.

Steam Machines are basically gimped PCs with no value, SteamOS is terrible, I think the one good thing we got out of the transaction was the Steam Controller. So, yay I guess?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

I remember I was calling it would flop on this very board, and multiple Valve fanboys were convinced it would not. The entire initiative was always botched- the product is a half assed solution to a problem with a far cleaner solution, using a model that already failed 20 years ago with the 3D0, and with no commitment or seriousness shown by Valve whatsoever. Hardware requires focus and commitment, two things that Valve very clearly lack.

Steam Machines are basically gimped PCs with no value, SteamOS is terrible, I think the one good thing we got out of the transaction was the Steam Controller. So, yay I guess?

I was the one that brought up the similarities of the 3DO. Actually, even the great Malstrom knew this would flop as well.

Edit: I do agree with the controller part, everything else lacks support from Steam Machines and Steam OS. Shame that @NoodleFighter is the only one that believes in Steam OS and Steam Machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@charizard1605 said:

I was the one that brought up the similarities of the 3DO. Actually, even the great Malstrom knew this would flop as well.

Edit: I do agree with the controller part, everything else lacks support from Steam Machines and Steam OS. Shame that @NoodleFighter is the only one that believes in Steam OS and Steam Machine.

Well, you can chalk this up as one of the few times that you, Malstrom, and I all agreed on something then lol

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

Valve lack of dedication to even try to market the steam machine was already a sign of failure before launch

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

it was more than just that, it was an attempt to get people to abandon Windows over fear mongering that Windows was going to be a closed platform that wasn't going to allow third party game distribution services like Steam, was bullshit though, people are still pushing that bullshit too

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

that's cause "steamos"(aka linux) is trash

steam controller sucks too

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#31 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

When people can make superior pcs, or buy superior pcs, for much less, why in the hell would anyone buy a Steam Machine?

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts
@MBirdy88 said:

Actually, Alienware Alpha Steam Machine (with Windows) comes with an Xbox 360 controller instead of Steam controller, and has been for some time. I don't think the Steam controller has been released here in Australia. Yet Alienware has been selling their Steam machine here with Xbox 360 controller for a while now. So the number is likely higher.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

It was a stupid idea to begin with.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NoodleFighter

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@charizard1605 said:

At first I thought the Steam Machines and SteamOS were a dumb idea but after seeing progress over the years in terms of support for Linux I actually believed in it. Even if SteamOS flops I'll still believe in Linux gaming and I am grateful for Valve helping Linux gaming get more traction. In the next 5 years Linux could be a major platform for PC at the rate it is going.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@charizard1605 said:

At first I thought the Steam Machines and SteamOS were a dumb idea but after seeing progress over the years in terms of support for Linux I actually believed in it. Even if SteamOS flops I'll still believe in Linux gaming and I am grateful for Valve helping Linux gaming get more traction. In the next 5 years Linux could be a major platform for PC at the rate it is going.

1 percent of the desktop/laptop PC market is not a major force for the PC.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

Did anyone even think that steam machines would be popular when it was announced? I'm not surprised hearing those potential sales numbers ( I figure probably 40% of those controller sales are from people just getting the controller, so it's probably closer to 300k sales).

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@Basinboy said:

Guess you could say...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

lol

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Well as most people who are PC gamers build their own steam machines there's little reason to buy a pre-built one.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#40  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Consoles are also just gimped PCs but they have dedicated companies behind them and they are standardized.

just saying, people need to realize that consoles are just a sub category of a PC they have no value besides the exclusives tied to them

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

lol

"Death of consoles"

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Poor marketing.

Sony and Microsoft are doing it better.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Same here. We already have prebuilt PC's they are called consoles. People who actually want a PC rig for gaming will just build one themselves.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Hmm I am going to look up how their sales look compared to xbox one sales at its time of penetrating the market, keeping in mind that Steam Machines probably haven't cost their manufacturers a couple billion in losses to help them to sell better.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

this was suppose to kill off consoles according to herms

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#46 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The only way it would work was I valved consolised those machines.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NoodleFighter
@ronvalencia said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@charizard1605 said:

A major platform for games I should say

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Never saw the appeal for these bastardisation of a PC, so not really surprised.

Just build your own damn PC, more fun that way (and it's not really hard).

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

That's too bad I thought it would sell well. I liked the idea and almost bought one at some point because I found myself enjoying many games that started out on Steam like Sheltered and Binding of Isaac, which came to XOne later. I guess if I really want in on more Steam I'll need a gaming PC, but now is not the time for that for me .

It would have been nice to play some of the higher profile pc games obviously, that too

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:
@ronvalencia said:
@NoodleFighter said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@charizard1605 said:

A major platform for games I should say

Major platform for games? Steam machine's result is worst than Wii U.