The Generational Leap

• 46 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

The above is a true showcase of the general leap between PS3 and PS4. I'd say that comparing one of the last games that what is considered the best developer on the platform released versus the newest game on the new platform and still considered one of the best developers is the way to truly compare the generational leap.

This image was taken directly from Gamespot and uploaded to my photobucket account. No tampering with Photoshop on my end. This is the kind of generational leap that I'm used too and what I've come to expect and with at the very least, Sony first party studios seeming to reach that a couple years in, I'm pretty damn happy.

So many people on this forum are saying there is very little graphics difference between last gen and the current gen, especially PC users who don't have proper gens, but I'd say the difference is significant enough and everyone who bought a PS4 should be happy with their purchase.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

but its still looks boring as **** to play. how is that a generational leap?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I don't consider that a huge leap

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Telekill

@mems_1224: I've always had fun with it. That's all that matters to me.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

its too hard for me to tell from those photographs because the art style's changed. its not like one's drake and one's a high res drake.

but basically my answer is yes there's a big enough difference for me to go 'oh yip that's quite a bit better than last gen'.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Inb4 this is a photo-mode res of drakes face.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Nah. All the fancy graphics are doing is hiding that the gameplay hasn't really improved. Its just a upgraded skin on the same game. Which is a shame. All the power in the world and the same games are still happening.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

lol wth he had egyptian eyes or something in UC3?

Well, sure, more polygons. Lighting in UC4 is still very rudimentary which is why I'm not impressed yet.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Not a fair comparison. The UC3 drake is an IN GAME drake, while the UC4 drake is a full render.

Cutscene UC3 drake looks better than that image. And gameplay UC4 drake will look worse than that image.. here's cutscene UC3 drake.. maybe in game UC4 drake will look this good

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Nah. All the fancy graphics are doing is hiding that the gameplay hasn't really improved. Its just a upgraded skin on the same game. Which is a shame. All the power in the world and the same games are still happening.

Did you not watch the demo? It has improved somewhat. AI is smarter. Levels are less corridor-ish.

Maybe it'll be a bit better than previous iterations.

Still sticking with the shitty shooting mechanics though.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Telekill

I forgot how many system wars users had their heads so far up their ass that all they know how to do is hate anymore.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Telekill said:

I forgot how many system wars users had their heads so far up their ass that all they know how to do is hate anymore.

...well that didn't take long

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

LOL that's a cut-scene Drake vs a gameplay Drake out of UC3. At least do a proper comparison....but then again most people probably think the face shot at the beginning of the UC4 gameplay counts as a gameplay model of the face. Turn the camera around and zoom in during gameplay, I guarantee he won't be that detailed.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Telekill

@lostrib: I'm just kind of sick of all the bullshit. They shouldn't call this the system wars forum, they should call it the bullshit forum.

I took a six year break from system wars last gen. I'm guessing there was no point in coming back as nothing has changed.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

-dupe post

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

There's definitely a substantial difference. BTW, the screenshot the TC has is taken from Maya, which doesn't properly display the shaders.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Couth_:

@Couth_ said:

Not a fair comparison. The UC3 drake is an IN GAME drake, while the UC4 drake is a full render.

Cutscene UC3 drake looks better than that image. And gameplay UC4 drake will look worse than that image.. here's cutscene UC3 drake.. maybe in game UC4 drake will look this good

No it wont, we have already seen the game and thats what he looks like. Did you miss the video?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@Couth_:

@Couth_ said:

No it wont, we have already seen the game and thats what he looks like. Did you miss the video?

The shitty compressed stream video? Yeah i saw it.. it doesn't help that the OPs image is low res also.. upon further inspection though it might be in game drake. Can't tell with a 10x10 pixel image

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Telekill: Some People are saying that because they are comparing cross generational games instead of waiting for true blue next gen titles.

Some people are just saying it because they hope it's true (I know specifically some die hard sheep and hermits that sing this song). I saw it last gen with the Wii vs. PS360. It's the same old song and dance. It's just a way to justify current decisions, but you'll see a few years from now, those same users will have bit the bullet and bought and Xbone or PS4.

Some get angry when you call out their troll tactics. I wouldn't even bother. It's a wait and see who's talking BS game. I saw so many converts last gen and I'll see it again this gen.

We'll see when the AAA new gen games come out. This year is terrible in how many ports and cross gen garbage is on the PS4/Xbone.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@AM-Gamer said:

@Couth_:

@Couth_ said:

The shitty compressed stream video? Yeah i saw it.. it doesn't help that the OPs image is low res also.. upon further inspection though it might be in game drake. Can't tell with a 10x10 pixel image

They are not doing pre-rendered scenes this time according to the dev, as you could see the cutscene went right into gameplay. Regardless im sure the LOD is diffrent on the model depending on the distance the camera is from him. But from what I saw thats what he looks like. Which I say is pretty impressive leap. Although its about what id expect

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

From Wii to the WiiU the leap has been huge

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

My favorite part of the demo was that Naughty Dog showed us that they achieved next gen gameplay. Glad to see the core gameplay is excellent, we'll probably be getting a big set piece next time and the demo probably won't be as rushed so it'll be even more impressive on the technical side.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lostrib

@kratosyoloswag said:

My favorite part of the demo was that Naughty Dog showed us that they achieved next gen gameplay. Glad to see the core gameplay is excellent, we'll probably be getting a big set piece next time and the demo probably won't be as rushed so it'll be even more impressive on the technical side.

what constitutes next gen gameplay?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

One seems like a render, and the other a poor in-game model. I'll wait for a full release, but i'm not all that excited about the leap.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

From Wii to the WiiU the leap has been huge

yes. That was a great leap. I don't think the leap from ps3 to ps4 has been all that impressive.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

In game model from TLOU remastered are the same models they used for the cutscenes on the PS3 version so it's not that hard to believe. Some hermits are skeptical because they still only have X360 ports to compare and don't know what an actual 8th gen game looks like.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KratosYOLOSwag
@lostrib said:

Next gen gameplay is relative of course. It'll be different for different games and genres.

In Uncharted 4's case, they've managed to seamlessly blend stealth, shooting, and platforming to the extent few games before it have done (if any at all). Compared to past Uncharted games we're looking at better gunplay, better melee, new tools for fighting and traversal, smarter AI, improved stealth (we finally aren't forced to kill everyone), better and more open level design that allows for more dynamic encounters, and best of all is that all of this is combined together. We still have to see how set pieces will play out.

Digital Foundry seems to share my views that the gameplay is Uncharted 4's real generational leap.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib
@kratosyoloswag said:
@lostrib said:

Next gen gameplay is relative of course. It'll be different for different games and genres.

In Uncharted 4's case, they've managed to seamlessly blend stealth, shooting, and platforming to the extent few games before it have done (if any at all). Compared to past Uncharted games we're looking at better gunplay, better melee, new tools for fighting and traversal, smarter AI, improved stealth (we finally aren't forced to kill everyone), better and more open level design that allows for more dynamic encounters, and best of all is that all of this is combined together. We still have to see how set pieces will play out.

Digital Foundry seems to share my views that the gameplay is Uncharted 4's real generational leap.

Makes it sound like they borrowed/learned from TLOU

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KratosYOLOSwag
@lostrib said:

Makes it sound like they borrowed/learned from TLOU

Yeah, their idea going into this was to take what they learned from TLoU, apply it to Uncharted, and expand on it.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@kratosyoloswag said:
@lostrib said:

Dont feed the trolls.

UC4 looked amazing to say the least and its blend of different gameplay aspects its amazing. Let trolls troll and haters hate. Thats all they can do for now.

UC4 graphically also looked a level above anything weve seen on any console as of now. Period. Physics were amazing , AI , lighting , depth of feild , textures , character models , voice acting , action elements, platforms elements , camera , shooting elements etc etc .. What else fans of Drake should ask for ? Everyone in PS experience event were with their mouths open when demo was playing. Period.

UC4 looks like a next-gen game. The only game that made me feel like its next-gen also was Witcher 3 and nothing else up till now. Let em talk about gameplay only ... Are the same guys that shit their pants with Zelda Wii Us graphics when it first revealed ( i mean lol ) and praised it all over net ( they still are ) without even see how it plays and are the same guys that were praising a 5-6 score game , Ryse , because of its graphics.

But graphics dont matter now that UC4 shut everyone up. Typical hypocrites im telling you.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

@AzatiS said:

@kratosyoloswag said:
@lostrib said:

Dont feed the trolls.

UC4 looked amazing to say the least and its blend of different gameplay aspects its amazing. Let trolls troll and haters hate. Thats all they can do for now.

UC4 graphically also looked a level above anything weve seen on any console as of now. Period. Physics were amazing , AI , lighting , depth of feild , textures , character models , voice acting , action elements, platforms elements , camera , shooting elements etc etc .. What else fans of Drake should ask for ? Everyone in PS experience event were with their mouths open when demo was playing. Period.

UC4 looks like a next-gen game. The only game that made me feel like its next-gen also was Witcher 3 and nothing else up till now. Let em talk about gameplay only ... It the same guys that shit their pants with Zelda Wii Us graphics when it first revealed ( i mean lol ) and praised it like the best Zelda without even see how it plays and are the same guys that were praising a 5-6 score game , Ryse , because of its graphics.

But graphics dont matter now that UC4 shut everyone up. Typical hypocrites im telling you.

?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

In terms of graphics, probably yes.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lol....no

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

We're at a point in 3D graphics where there will no longer be any more 'revolutions' in terms of visuals. The 'big' steps are far behind us. Graphics will always continue to look better but not at the rate they use to. Its all about refining the visuals and starting to go into the little details that separate CG from real life. Think Hollywood CGI. Has it gotten dramatically better over the past 10 years? No. But we expect consoles to continually blow away everything from just 5 years ago? Its unrealistic.

The jump from PS1 to PS2 was the greatest leap in 3D visuals ever that will never be replicated. We went from a low res 2D texture for character faces to full 3D moving eyes and mouths. Most kids on this site wont remember that or werent even around to experience it. All they know is PS3 and that PS4, to them at least, isnt producing much better looking games. For anyone sound in mind who has been around for all the jumps in console graphics you understand the 'wow' factor has been diminishing with each new console.

And I dont want to hear crap about how the PS4 is underpowered. The jump from PS2 to PS3 was no bigger then the jump from PS3 to PS4. If anything the jump from PS3 to PS4 is bigger because of how much easier it is to make games on the PS4. Even if the PS4 was 2x more powerful then it is now you wouldnt see a huge difference in graphics. Maybe a few more games run at 1080p maybe a few more games run at 60fps. Thats it.

People who can appreciate detail will be happy with next gen visuals. People who think games like Mario Kart on Wii U look as good as anything on PS4 will continue to be disappointed.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Actually, even with Wolfenstein: The New Order, I noticed a nice step up from the PS3, and it's still early days.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

What Generational Leap.... :p

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Sure there is a technical difference, but the main thing that sets those images apart is the character art itself. Either they hired a much better character modeler, or it's the same modeler and he improved a lot over the past few years.

@Telekill said:

So many people on this forum are saying there is very little graphics difference between last gen and the current gen, especially PC users who don't have proper gens, but I'd say the difference is significant enough and everyone who bought a PS4 should be happy with their purchase.

I'll be happy with my PS4 as the games start rolling in. It's a Sony console, so as long as history repeats itself for a 4th time, it'll have a great library. I don't buy consoles for their leaps in specs anymore. And really, these generational "leaps" are more like baby steps nowadays. Diminishing returns, gotta love em.

The last time I was impressed by a jump was when I got my PS2. The last time I was blown away by a true leap was with my N64.

These new consoles will eventually showcase some impressive stuff, but it'll take some time and for anyone that's been gaming long enough, there really won't be a wow factor.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42  Edited By carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

@bldgirsh: That pic is seriously funny... but the CGI trailer never said it was gameplay. There's been a billion CGI reveal trailers through the years.... bottom line, UC4 will probably be the best looking next gen game, as Uncharted was a last gen graphics king.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By lostrib

@carljohnson3456: I believe it was specifically stated to be captured in real time, in engine, from a real level in the game on a PS4 at 1080p 60fps. It was not a CGI pre render

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AzatiS

@Lulu_Lulu said:

What Generational Leap.... :p

Graphically speaking UC4 is the first game you can call next-gen. The only one i can think other than UC4 is Witcher 3. And thats it for now. Thats what TC meant i bet.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AzatiS
@kratosyoloswag said:
@lostrib said:

+1

Well said , exactly what i think also.

To blend so many different genre elements gameplay wise in such great way while maintain such strong graphical values let alone everything else is ridiculous to say the least.

Uc4/Bloodborne !!That duo will kick ass.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@AzatiS

No its not.... And its for one simple reason... Its not out yet.... Every 8th Gen game looks like that before it releases.... Combine that with how hard Cows are going to be hyping this game and theres literally no reliable info about this game, even when the reviews role in. I mean the fact that you still say "Next-Gen" should atleast make you pause and reevaluate all the information.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Lol, so true

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

The gap has been pretty generous, in my opinion. Another great example is Infamous Second Son vs Infamous 2.

And this generation has just started.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

unfortunately the gameplay will remain super medicore. Enjoy your overhyped QTE fest though. Personally it's not for me.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

He looks like a) he's wearing less make up now and b) Nathan Fillion.

The fact that he looks a lot more like a living, breathing person seems to me about as good as a generational leap we're gonna get with graphics as advanced as they are these days. Don't know why anyone would be expecting more, and I don't know why anyone would laugh either.