The future of Sony and Gaikai

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

Cliché topic, I know. However, I have a question. Will Gaikai help the next Sony systems to support Backwards Compatibility via cloud gaming?

#2 Posted by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

Maybe, we don't know.

BC has been theorized many times among other things regarding Gaikai and Sony. Whatever is brewing with Sony and their new acquisition Gaikai is something we all can consider until we are BLU(-Ray )in the face.

To be honest, we are unsure about this deal until Sony officially announce it. The speculation threads keep coming in though.

Even if some users did know, there are NDA's blocking them from speaking up...not to mention people wouldn't believe them as Sony's Gaikai implementation plans could potentially be years away.

I don't care about Cloudgaming and Gaming Steaming services anyways. Perhaps Sony will roll it into a PS+ sort of deal.

Honestly, I also don't like the idea of wearing out my machine playing older gen games. That's why I don't trade in my older gen machines.

#3 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1058 posts) -

Cliché topic, I know. However, I have a question. Will Gaikai help the next Sony systems to support Backwards Compatibility via cloud gaming?

Ricardomz

I hope so but man I'm so confused as to what there gonna do with Gaikai so much speculation going on different rumours etc

#4 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Z-Fatalis

I hope so but man I'm so confused as to what there gonna do with Gaikai so much speculation going on different rumours etc

I guess, whatever they do it will be for better and not for worst.

#5 Posted by KiZZo1 (3978 posts) -

Backward compatibility, at least to me, means that you're able to play previous gen games you own for free.

Gaikai will almost certainly not be free, because it requires a server to run the game and a considerable bandwidth for streaming.

#6 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

Streaming is becoming a big thing, so Sony made a smart move buying them. However it's Sony and their Company is run by monkey's..at least in their TV and Marketing sections sooo..idk how it will turn out.

#7 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

Sony has no future, Nintendo will finish of microsoft next gen and sony will struggle to keep up with nintendo, as soon as the next gen ends! BAM!!! Pokemon On the Wii U, it sells 2000m copys in 1 day, sends sony bankrupt and kaz hirai joins bill gates on the unemployment line

NDC

#8 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

Sony has no future, Nintendo will finish of microsoft next gen and sony will struggle to keep up with nintendo, as soon as the next gen ends! BAM!!! Pokemon On the Wii U, it sells 2000m copys in 1 day, sends sony bankrupt and kaz hirai joins bill gates on the unemployment line

NDC

Meeeper282

Begone fanboy, do you really think that could possibly end up being true? What a fool.

#9 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

NDC

Ricardomz

Begone fanboy, do you really think that could possibly end up being true? What a fool.

Xbox has no gamezz and sony is poor, nintendo is our only hope

#10 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

NDC

Meeeper282

Nintendo's target audience is different from Sony's. Nintendo creates games that are fun to play with friends, Sony creates games that have a good story, good characters and fun to play aswell. Sony tries to please a more mature audience.

#11 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Ricardomz

Nintendo's target audience is different from Sony's. Nintendo creates games that are fun to play with friends, Sony creates games that have a good story, good characters and fun to play aswell. Sony tries to please a more mature audience.

That's because nintendo's target audience isn't raging nerds

#12 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Meeeper282

Whatever, it's no use talking to you.

#13 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Ricardomz

NDC

#14 Posted by GoneRabbid (148 posts) -

Everytime i hear the word Gaikai i think its some DBZ character lol

Anyway only thing i know is Sony paid like 375 million more then they had to as Onlive was sold for 5 million lol

#15 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

Anyway only thing i know is Sony paid like 375 million more then they had to as Onlive was sold for 5 million lol

GoneRabbid

But I think Gaikai is more effective than Onlive, therefore imo it was a smart move by Sony.

#16 Posted by GoneRabbid (148 posts) -

[QUOTE="GoneRabbid"]

Ricardomz

But I think Gaikai is more effective than Onlive, therefore imo it was a smart move by Sony.

I never heard of Gaikai before until Sony bought them so I'm not sure there all that affective but they are a japan company so yeah will see if the west takes to it i know Onlive didn't do so hot

#17 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Meeeper282

NDC

you are making sheeps look bad worse then me when i used to be sheep. are you pikachu69er?
#18 Posted by Cheleman (8197 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

free_milk

NDC

you are making sheeps look bad worse then me when i used to be sheep. are you pikachu69er?

he's ezcaping his fate;)

#19 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

free_milk

NDC

Ahahahaha, st106mat tried linking to that account, failed though!

try again sunshine

#20 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

[QUOTE="free_milk"][QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

NDC

Cheleman

he's ezcaping his fate;)

escapethefate has alot of time on his hands.trying to make every faction look bad that is my job :P
#21 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

[QUOTE="free_milk"][QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

NDC

Meeeper282

try again sunshine

you dont even own PS B&W2 you are the sheep version of me :P
#22 Posted by Meeeper282 (1597 posts) -

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="free_milk"] you are making sheeps look bad worse then me when i used to be sheep. are you pikachu69er?free_milk

try again sunshine

you dont even own PS B&W2 you are the sheep version of me :P

:)

#23 Posted by funsohng (29905 posts) -
What does cloud gaming has to do with backward compatibility? Really, I don't see how it will make it easier.
#24 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

What does cloud gaming has to do with backward compatibility? Really, I don't see how it will make it easier.funsohng

You see cloud gaming is the act of streaming games to internet connected devices. Therefore, no need for any kind of PS1/PS2/PS3 compatible "chip" on the PS4 in order to play those old games.

#25 Posted by GarGx1 (9563 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"]What does cloud gaming has to do with backward compatibility? Really, I don't see how it will make it easier.Ricardomz

You see cloud gaming is the act of streaming games to internet connected devices. Therefore, no need for any kind of PS1/PS2/PS3 compatible "chip" on the PS4 in order to play those old games.

All you need is small box that allows you to stream and use a controller in the game.

It's more likely a reason not to have any backward compatibility at all as Sony will push old PS games on Gaikai to intice people to buy a subscription. Hmmm...thinking on those lines....That's providing they are even going to release a Playstation 4 at all, they may decide to go Gaikai all the way and ditch the home console market. They do have some good I.P's and developers in their pockets, they could easilly make games using PC's and Sony keeps them as Gaikai exclusives! Set top boxes are far cheaper to produce than a full blown console and they could even integrate in with titles like Planet Scape 2.

#26 Posted by spiderluck (2405 posts) -

Ricardomz
Hmm if cloud gaming is sony's idea of BC and it is not integrated into the hardware then they are in for a world of hurt at retail...considering the low level of high speed internet access still in mainstream North America the huge bandwidth necessary for any kind of acceptable performance...and if MS go a different route and it is in hardware, then I think there would most certainly be a backlash of sufficient size to hurt sony financially
#27 Posted by RR360DD (13731 posts) -
Eh, Sony paid like $380 million for Gakai, so they certainly didn't spend that much just for BC. It may be one aspect of it, but I'm sure they have something else, something bigger planned.
#28 Posted by funsohng (29905 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"]What does cloud gaming has to do with backward compatibility? Really, I don't see how it will make it easier.Ricardomz

But we still have to buy those games again -_- Then, it's as same as just putting them on online store.
#29 Posted by delta3074 (19951 posts) -

NDC

Meeeper282
Bill gates has already retired so thats not gonna happen,lol
#30 Posted by Heil68 (57913 posts) -
It should be interesting to say the least, I like the idea of being able to play games on any device, I just think that latency will be an issue just like it was with Onlive and I have a pretty good ISP.
#31 Posted by santoron (8583 posts) -
Streaming old games isn't backwards compatibility, it's selling me my old games again. Do not want.
#32 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"]What does cloud gaming has to do with backward compatibility? Really, I don't see how it will make it easier.GarGx1

All you need is small box that allows you to stream and use a controller in the game.

It's more likely a reason not to have any backward compatibility at all as Sony will push old PS games on Gaikai to intice people to buy a subscription. Hmmm...thinking on those lines....That's providing they are even going to release a Playstation 4 at all, they may decide to go Gaikai all the way and ditch the home console market. They do have some good I.P's and developers in their pockets, they could easilly make games using PC's and Sony keeps them as Gaikai exclusives! Set top boxes are far cheaper to produce than a full blown console and they could even integrate in with titles like Planet Scape 2.

Nah, I don't think Sony would bet on the PC gaming market. I mean, what am I saying, they already are with Planetside but what I really mean is that they WILL release a console. I bet my ass on that.

#33 Posted by GarGx1 (9563 posts) -

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Ricardomz

Nah, I don't think Sony would bet on the PC gaming market. I mean, what am I saying, they already are with Planetside but what I really mean is that they WILL release a console. I bet my ass on that.

I don't think that Sony will place all their eggs in the PC market but with Gaikai, they don't actually need a console just a small box.

To be honest I don't like the idea of streaming games at all, you have absolutely no off line capability and the internet today isn't exactly stable for everyone nor are the average bandwidths sufficient for the service, so it would be an utterly crazy thing to do today.... but by the time next gen comes along? Maybe they are just trying to position themselves in a place where they can go all out on this kind of model. (I truely hope that day is a long way off)