The future of PC graphics. The future is now.

• 130 results
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Today the industry sees tons of various game engine and graphical renders. At each E3 we are bombarded by flashy graphics and technical terms like Physically Based Rendering.

There are some beautiful games out there and some on the near horizon that look even better. Witcher 3 looks absolutely fantastic with the new Need for Speed and Star Wars Battlefront games looking even better.

Though these games all have one thing in common, they are multiplatform games built to be run on the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. Systems with outdated hardware in relation to the current high-end equipment on the PC.

So what would happen if somebody took one of these modern game engines, let's say the Unreal 4 engine and punished top-end PC hardware? Well... we would get a glimpse of the future.

(sorry I've been watching a lot of Top Gear so I wrote kind of like how Jeremy Clarkson would speak, read that all above in his voice like I did when I wrote it)

Anyways kidding aside, somebody did take the Unreal 4 engine and punish modern hardware with it. A user by the name of koooolalala on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/koooolalala The pictures below are all running in real time at 1080p30. He claims that he could hit 60 if he threw some ridiculous hardware at ie (like tri SLI).

Don't believe they are real-time? He's got videos...

He's done a lot of great work with the Unreal 4 engine. See below...

His global illumination demos are very impressive

And he's done some good shader work...

More global illumination

So all of this is running in REAL TIME on a PC. This goes to show you how capable modern PCs really are when you develop graphics for the high end hardware. The gap between the high end PC hardware and the consoles is far larger than many would have you believe.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

INB4 "Uncharted 4 still looks better"

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Uncharted 4 still looks better.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wasdie  Moderator

@Heil68: Oh you...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Star Citezen will look even better.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Don't start the fire bro.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Jebus, that is crazy. I'm still finding myself a bit skeptical though. While AAA is completely console focused, there are some PC centered developers out there that have been known to prioritize graphics, I would think we would have seen something of this caliber in an actual game already if machines could handle it.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wasdie  Moderator

@davillain-: Sadly Star Citizen won't look better. Two things. The first being despite their claims, they need to build the game for a range of hardware. Sliders to turn off and on graphical rendering effects aren't going to cut it due to the second reason.

These scenes are highly tailored for super amazing graphics. It takes a lot of manual work to get these scenes done. As of right now it's really impossible to do a game the size of Star Citizen to that level of quality. In the future, as tools and procedural generation gets better (he actually used PG in theses scenes quite a bit to help him flesh out the details), building games to this level of quality will be possible.

Star Citizen will blow minds when it comes out, that I'm not denying. It'll look far better than any game on the market and will be a tough one to beat. It just won't be this photorealistic.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

wheres GPUking? he needs to see these and then shut the **** up

totally blew my mind to be honest, i knew that PC's where capable of great graphics but Colour me suprised

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Incredible. Games may not actually look that good for quite a while, but it shows just how much of a beast UE4 is when utilized with the right hardware.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@darkmoney52 said:

Jebus, that is crazy. I'm still finding myself a bit skeptical though. While AAA is completely console focused, there are some PC centered developers out there that have been known to prioritize graphics, I would think we would have seen something of this caliber in an actual game already if machines could handle it.

Machines can't handle it yet. Right now this would be like Crysis level stuff, no one would be able to max it out at 60 unless, as mentioned before, they own like 3 980s. No one wants to repeat what Crytek did. They want their game to sell, not impress. The renaissance of PC gaming is over, now we just have this incremental improvement. Something like this will only be standard in maybe 3 or 4 years.

Here is my favorite of his GI demos, the simplest:

Loading Video...

This sort of thing is already feasible for current hardware. This, and any other indoors scenes. My 970 can just about do 50-60 fps in the PAris apartment scene that got somewhat viral a few months ago. It's also possible to bake GI and that is why indoors is easier on hardware, and is totally possible on current gen consoles. It just requires a looot of effort.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

...but it does! D: mud king easily. :3

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Throw a large amount of AI in there and something other then environments and it won't look like that.

I'm tired of people saying consoles hold back gaming. Titles with great visuals require large teams and massive budgets, and the PC Platform isn't strong enough to support them.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@AM-Gamer: I'm thinking the AI would look just fine. It's more along the lines that you could only run this game with the .1% of PC hardware right now. Developers aren't going to pour tens of millions into a game that less than 500,000 people can play.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man

@ladyblue said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Oh, you :P

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think the question is "How do you develop profitable games that look like that?" I think it's still going to be quite some time before we are actually playing games that look that good.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

@PurpleMan5000: That is the question.

This is exciting because these kind of graphics are actually obtainable in real time right now. That's a huge step forward.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4574 Posts

Holy Shi........, that looks amazing. It always surprises me what can be done with the proper hardware being pushed. I hope we actually get a game with that kind of visual fidelity soon.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Great, but making a game for only high end rigs without scalability.

Though i'm interested in seeing how walking sims of the future will look, since there's nothing happening on screen

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wasdie  Moderator

@deadline-zero0: Walking Sim + these graphics + VR.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think the question is "How do you develop profitable games that look like that?" I think it's still going to be quite some time before we are actually playing games that look that good.

Ya! its not ideal at this moment. You'd be making a better move by letting the community mod your games to hell, and back. Though, at that point it stops being the product you developed.

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ladyblue said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Oh, you :P

Someone has to try. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Looks like modern tech, i'm not seeing what's so amazing. Standard UE4 fare. ...Oh yes it's on PC heh PC master race and all that, indeed.

Also even if these were amazing, there's nothing going on.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Looks great! I honestly feel these tools can and are getting dangerously close to CGI "picture perfect" films.

Shame we won't get any sort of game (for now) that looks and plays like that. Hopefully the GPU revolution will help a bit with that!

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

question : so can gaming really achieve something like this? from what im hearing, gaming is so much harder because it is interactive and not static blah blah .

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Wasdie: yep and that's the problem. Until it can run on affordable hardware it won't happen.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Uncharted 4 still looks better though. :P

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

holy shit

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@deadline-zero0: Walking Sim + these graphics + VR.

Don't know if we can keep the fidelity this high if we're targeting VR.

@jsmoke03 said:

question : so can gaming really achieve something like this? from what im hearing, gaming is so much harder because it is interactive and not static blah blah .

Can we? Sure, but the more objects, being ti npc, buildings, etc, have to rendered on screen, the more power is neeeded.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@jsmoke03: Yes it can, just give it time. Right now engineers are coming up with ways to allow people to more quickly build very detailed levels like this. A lot of procedural generation. The small rocks in the first few screenshots here were all made with procedural generation instead of being hand drawn. This allows devs to make stupid high fidelity much more quickly.

The Unreal 4 engine is also a leader in fully dynamic stuff. You can prebake global illumination onto the environment if you want, but you can also run it in real time. The latter takes far more processing power and we'll get there eventually.

This is why these are tech demos of what's to come.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Wasdie said:

@PurpleMan5000: That is the question.

This is exciting because these kind of graphics are actually obtainable in real time right now. That's a huge step forward.

And the answer is simple. When the PS5 and next Xbox come around. But I imagine PS5 games will look even better than what any PC could do right now. New graphics techniques and stuff.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

Er, yeah might as well post that Square Enix demo which ran on quad sli titan x, that's even more impressive than this beach sim but hey it's realtime tho! It makes me laugh when people even raise the thought of having a studio spending an astronomical budget on a pc exclusive aiming for the highend hardware required for this demo. At least not now or any time soon. Like I said earlier, by the time most pc gamers are equipped with hardware that can run this (assuming it's a fully functional game world with this level of detail, that's a big if), we would have PS5 and whatever other nextgen consoles ready to hit the market or already have.

Regardless, UC4 still looks better in fire, smoke, mud and character models..since this demo doesn't even have any lol.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@Wasdie: "(sorry I've been watching a lot of Top Gear so I wrote kind of like how Jeremy Clarkson would speak, read that all above in his voice like I did when I wrote it)"

So can we expect you to punch out some poor bloke and get fired as a mod now too? :P

Those look amazing, but I presume we probably at least 5-10 years away from anyone practically using those in game though?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#33 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

As I said couple of times before... Unreal Engine 4 is mighty impressive.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Looks incredible.

Wonder how much an open world game would cost to develop with those graphics. Although that's a problem in 10+ years, since most high end PC's would have problems running that

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

The only thing that looks (much) better is the lighting. I've said for years its the lack of truly natural lighting in video games thats holding the graphics back.

Avatar image for cinematicgalore
CinematicGalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CinematicGalore
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

I don't get why people are saying catering to the 1% of PC gamers is unprofitable when it's not about that, it's about making people buy machines to play the game itself by showing unreal graphics (like the one in the OP). It's just like Crysis, that sold great and helped the PC market because it made people go out and buy a system to run it.

You show people something unbelievable, something to experience for themselves, they'll go out and buy it.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I wish someone would make a forest like this, inject a more advanced version of Assassin's Creed 3's tree/rock climbing system and then make a Robin Hood game or something. Just moving around a space like this would be incredible though. Well I guess I allready can, that's what forests look like, just need to step outside :).

@cinematicgalore said:

I don't get why people are saying catering to the 1% of PC gamers is unprofitable when it's not about that, it's about making people buy machines to play the game itself by showing unreal graphics (like the one in the OP). It's just like Crysis, that sold great and helped the PC market because it made people go out and buy a system to run it.

You show people something unbelievable, something to experience for themselves, they'll go out and buy it.

Yeah perhaps Nvidia could co-finace it as they have no stake in console anymore?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

The only thing that looks (much) better is the lighting. I've said for years its the lack of truly natural lighting in video games thats holding the graphics back.

I honestly think that this is the only thing that makes Driveclub look realistic, I don't know how they did it, I don't know what their engine is doing but it has the most realistic looking lighting model I've ever seen in a game.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

Graphics look really great.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

Great times to be gamers guys and gals. Imagine that grapghic quality with realistic game animations. Gaming is the entertainment medium of the future. We just need decent stories now lol.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Wasdie: cool let me know when you actually get a game to take advantage of that. for now have fun with Turd Simulator.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#43 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Looks great. Until it's in a game I'm still waiting for something on PC as good looking as The Order.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

My ps4 can't handle this kind of visuals. I asked Sony why, they told me to f*ck off and that graphics aren't important.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

that title sounds like an ad lol. UE4 is a beast like i expected.

DrkeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrkeX
Member since 2003 • 645 Posts

this same topic was posted yesterday

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FireEmblem_Man

I have to admit @Wasdie seems like Epic really have created a 10+ year plan for Unreal Engine 4. Seems like it will be greater than Valve Corporation's Source 2 plan.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Good stuff, very impressive. It's not that for away from being in game, in 3 years single high end cards will be as powerful, if not more so than tri SLI 980ti's

@Sushiglutton said:

I wish someone would make a forest like this, inject a more advanced version of Assassin's Creed 3's tree/rock climbing system and then make a Robin Hood game or something. Just moving around a space like this would be incredible though. Well I guess I allready can, that's what forests look like, just need to step outside :).

@cinematicgalore said:

Yeah perhaps Nvidia could co-finace it as they have no stake in console anymore?

They'd only get shot down for gimping AMD cards

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

That's a good point. Lighting in a game makes or breaks game graphics. Other stuff is important too but lighting is among most important. Not so long ago Vanishing of Ethan Carter devs demonstrated that how lighting can turn PS2 looking into visually spectacular looking one.