The dead zone on the 360 controller makes it awful for FPS games

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts

I have a 360 and PS3 and love them both, but I buy all FPS games on the PS3 because the 360 controller sucks for FPS games due to its dead zone.

The dead zone is related to the sensitively of the left stick. With the left stick on controllers in FPS games, if you move it a tiny bit, nothing happens (this is the dead zone) and if you move it a little more, it only creates a little movement (and progressively more as you move it further). This is done so that your character doesn't swing around like crazy with just a small movement of the stick.

The problem is that the dead zone on the 360 is way too large, so that you can't make quick, fine movements and are limited to much bigger broad movements.

The PS3 dead zone is much smaller, allowing very quick and fine movements.

The result is that on the 360, FPS games play really noobish for everyone, whereas on the PS3, if you are good, you can really dominate and play well.

The playing field basically gets really levelled out on the 360 as no one can make quick fine movements and be really good compared to others, while on the PS3, if you are really good, you can make quick, fine movements and dominate.

For example, zooming in on a scope attachment, you can precisly get a head shot at a long distance (if you have stable hands and good focus) to an extent that is simply not possible on the 360.

I bet if you take any really good FPS player and have him play online on the 360 and then on the PS3, he/she will do way better on the PS3.

Before anyone gets too upset at this opinion, try playing the same FPS on both systems.

I think this should be getting more attention and reviewers should mention it when reviewing a FPS that is avaialble on both system.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Bu, bu, but... teh triggers!

Nah, I agree, the sticks on the 360 controller, along with every other input save the triggers, are pretty lousy when compared to the ds3.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I disagree, I find the 360 sticks and triggers to be far superior.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I'll give you some points for creativity, but that's about it.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

I disagree, I find the 360 sticks and triggers to be far superior.locopatho

I agree

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

this has never been a problem for me. i use the 360 controller on the PC too for racing games and TPS and its excellent.

Blake-007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blake-007
Member since 2005 • 209 Posts

The dead zones on the dual shock is actually bigger than that of he 360's, lol.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Bu, bu, but... teh triggers!

Nah, I agree, the sticks on the 360 controller, along with every other input save the triggers, are pretty lousy when compared to the ds3.

Pug-Nasty
pretty much, i cant stand the controller.. even the triggers (and yes the triggers for the dualshock arent any better) BUMPERS FOR LIFE
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
Isn't the deadzone being used game specific?
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I have extenders on my 360 analogs & prefer that controller over my PS3 ones.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Never had any kind of problem with the 360 controller for FPS's.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

I thought perhaps Dead Zone was a game :o and the 360 controller is teh bestest evah and hope it returns with the next MS console. :P

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I haven't use a stock 360 controller for any decent amount of time but the 3rd party 360 controller(hori turbo pad ex2) I use I have to agree on the sticks when it comes to fps the loser sticks of the dualshock 3 and smaller deadzone make it better for precision aiming but when it comes to every other genre i far prefer my 360 controller as everything about the 360 controller design is better the ds3 even the analogs and d-pad is one of the best i've used on the hori the only flaw is the tension of the sticks not being adjustable like the razer 360 controller (Which brings alot of innovations that should be standard in controllers) and the deadzone being to large and besides m/kb is the best control method for fps why play an fps on ps3 if you can play it on the pc? I mean really your entire argument could be applied to fps on pc vs consoles only it would ring true to much much larger degree.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ_Headshot

shawn7324
Do they really work with enhancing precision aiming and fine movements? And it a pain to get used to them and is it good for every genre in general or just fps?
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shawn7324
[QUOTE="shawn7324"]

DJ_Headshot
Do they really work with enhancing precision aiming and fine movements? And it a pain to get used to them and is it good for every genre in general or just fps?

It is better in every genre & I loved it the moment I started using them. I even took gel tabz and put them on top the extenders. Not only is movement & aiming much better, but increased comfort level as well.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"][QUOTE="shawn7324"]

shawn7324

It is better in every genre & I loved it the moment I started using them. I even took gel tabz and put them on top the extenders. Not only is movement & aiming much better, but increased comfort level as well.

yeah, i need to get these.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
Me too. I don't have that problem for some reason. Maybe he's using a old controller. You should change out your controller at least once a year. The triggers on the XBox 360 blow the PS3 ones away by a mile. The problem I have with the PS3 controller is it's too small for one, so using the analog sticks are already a choir. The analog sticks are too lose. I wish they could be tightened about 30-35%. I like a little more tension on them. The triggers suck. Everyone has their favorite controllers though, so it's not a big deal. The PS3 controller is definitely better for fighting games like SSFIV and Mortal Kombat. I don't even use my XBox 360 controller for fighting games. I use either a Madcatz Profession stick or d-pad for those games.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shawn7324

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=kontrol+freek&_sacat=See-All-Categories

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_13?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=kontrol+freek&sprefix=kontrol+freek

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_13?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=kontrol+freek&sprefix=kontrol+freek

shawn7324

is there a big difference between the $10.99 ones and the $14.99 ones?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I thought perhaps Dead Zone was a game :o and the 360 controller is teh bestest evah and hope it returns with the next MS console. :P

SecretPolice
I agree. The S-Controller from the original XBox 360 was very good, but Microsoft improved upon it, making it slight larger and smoother. It's perfect. Not to big and not too small for the average hands of gamers. Sony is still using the same size controller from the PS1. Maybe it's a little bigger, but it's still too small. I think they cater more to Japanese gamers since their hands are usually smaller then the rest of the worlds.
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shawn7324

[QUOTE="shawn7324"]

lazerface216

is there a big difference between the $10.99 ones and the $14.99 ones?

$14.99 will have larger head more cushion, but I prefer slapping gel tabz on the cheaper ones. That Prestige one looks only to have a design carved in extra thats it.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
Didn't you already post this on the 360 boards? Why repeat yourself? We get you don't like the 360 controller but there's no point repeating yourself over and over
Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
I prefer the 360 controller for pretty much everything especially FPS. The only thing that the PS3 pad is better for are fighting games, at least in my opinion.
sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2063 Posts
all i will say is lol, a greater dead zone actually allows for finer movements, I.E if you steadily increase pressure on a stick and you immediately begin moving due to a minimal dead zone you will over rotate and be forced into sweeping movements, if you have a slightly larger dead zone you are able to more accurately recognise not only when you begin movement but also when your on target, it's a case of slow is smooth and smooth is fast. surprised no one else has pointed this out.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

[QUOTE="SecretPolice"]

blackace

I agree. The S-Controller from the original XBox 360 was very good, but Microsoft improved upon it, making it slight larger and smoother. It's perfect. Not to big and not too small for the average hands of gamers. Sony is still using the same size controller from the PS1. Maybe it's a little bigger, but it's still too small. I think they cater more to Japanese gamers since their hands are usually smaller then the rest of the worlds.

What's funny is I was one of the few I guess who sorta like the Xbox Big Dukes :lol: but I do have rather large extremities :o but the 360 controller is head & shoulders above those. :P

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

i've never really noticed dead zones on the 360 controller. I just dont like the inferior battery compartment. the ps3 built in battery is so much better. the wired xbox360 controller seems to be higher quality than the wireless too. but deadzones? never been an issue. my cousin has a ps3 and he likes the 360 controller just as much. It's like coke vs pepsi nowadays. I personally like the triggers on the 360 controller better, but thats really about it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I think most people agree the 360 controller is better for the majority of games, of course if you only own a PS3 then you'll think differently. Despite the PS3 being a shooter console I hate its controller for shooters.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I agree, but my main problem with the 360 controller is that for me it didn't feel like the stick could move as much either. Maybe i'm wrong but from playing on my friend's 360 it felt like it.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I don't know about FPS, but i do know that the 360controller is awful for figthing games, i couldn't even mark fireballs consintently in SF2 HD.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#32 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The 360 controller is clearly designed better, but I don't really like controllers anymore. They feel pretty clunky. I prefer the Wiimote/numchuck.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#33 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts
Agreed. No problem here. So even if it leveled the field as you say tc, it somehow prevents the innate human ability to get better at something the more its done? Some act as if being accessible to many means that they cant learn to dominate with practice. Sounds like cry baby-ism.
hywel69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hywel69
Member since 2002 • 1086 Posts

I have a 360 and PS3 and love them both, but I buy all FPS games on the PS3 because the 360 controller sucks for FPS games due to its dead zone.

The dead zone is related to the sensitively of the left stick. With the left stick on controllers in FPS games, if you move it a tiny bit, nothing happens (this is the dead zone) and if you move it a little more, it only creates a little movement (and progressively more as you move it further). This is done so that your character doesn't swing around like crazy with just a small movement of the stick.

The problem is that the dead zone on the 360 is way too large, so that you can't make quick, fine movements and are limited to much bigger broad movements.

The result is that on the 360, FPS games play really noobish for everyone, whereas on the PS3, if you are good, you can really dominate and play well.

The playing field basically gets really levelled out on the 360 as no one can make quick fine movements and be really good compared to others, while on the PS3, if you are really good, you can make quick, fine movements and dominate.

For example, zooming in on a scope attachment, you can precisly get a head shot at a long distance (if you have stable hands and good focus) to an extent that is simply not possible on the 360.

I bet if you take any really good FPS player and have him play online on the 360 and then on the PS3, he/she will do way better on the PS3.

Before anyone gets too upset at this opinion, try playing the same FPS on both systems.

I think this should be getting more attention and reviewers should mention it when reviewing a FPS that is avaialble on both system.

Jason_A

YOu Sir, deserve a big Cigar. I've been thinking of this for months. I used to play PC FPS, and the lame dead zone on the 360 has been driving me nuts!

Imagine a mouse where it lags out for a whole square inch in between moving up/down/left/right; you'd throw said mouse in the bin.

The "dead zone" on the 360 controller is HUGE. Funny though I notice I can't seem to miss on Halo Reach, auto-aim FTL!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
I've not experienced any instances of the Xbox 360 controller not responding, if I move the left analog slightly in one direction the character moves slowly and if I move it farther in that direction the person moves faster, the analogs also have better ergonomic placement on the controller and I'm a bigger fan of the concave analog tops than the convex ones on the DS3, the triggers also are much better placed and have a nice strong spring to them, the DS3 triggers are so horribly designed developers don't even bother using them and instead map buttons to L1/R1, I myself much prefer playing FPSs on the Xbox 360 than the PS3.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Umm.. Isn't it up to the ones making the game what kind of dead zone the game has? I don't think the 360 controller itself has a specific dead zone..

iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

Oh god no! The 360 controller is far better for shooters. (and most other genres) This is my opinion so im stating it like fact. oh yeeeaaaaa!

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Point taken, but I still prefer the ergonomic design of the 360 controllers and its triggers over the DS3. However, the bumper buttons on the 360 aren't great, hopefully MS addresses that with the next console design (they a bit flimsy and can break pretty easily. Much prefer DS3's shoulder buttons in comparison).

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

My favorite controller was the gamecubes, the different sized buttons made more sense because you used certain ones more.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

I disagree, imho 360 sticks are perfectly placed with perfect sensitivity along with perfect triggers and perfect overall controller shape and weight making it the best controller ever especially for FPS. As for DS3 ,the sticks are too light, the placement of left stick sucks, the grip of the sticks sucks tooand the triggers are half assed pos making DS3 an awful controller for FPS.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jason_A
[QUOTE="Funconsole"]Didn't you already post this on the 360 boards? Why repeat yourself? We get you don't like the 360 controller but there's no point repeating yourself over and over

My 360 topic was closed and I was told to post it in the system wars section.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jason_A
all i will say is lol, a greater dead zone actually allows for finer movements, I.E if you steadily increase pressure on a stick and you immediately begin moving due to a minimal dead zone you will over rotate and be forced into sweeping movements, if you have a slightly larger dead zone you are able to more accurately recognise not only when you begin movement but also when your on target, it's a case of slow is smooth and smooth is fast. surprised no one else has pointed this out.sonny2dap
You are missing the point in saying "if you steadily increase pressure on a stick and you immediately begin moving due to a minimal dead zone you will over rotate and be forced into sweeping movements". The point is that if you are more stable and precise (i.e. a better player), this will not happen and you will be better than players who can't handle the smaller deadzone (i.e. people who are not good players). With the larger deadzone on the 360, this difference between players is diminished and it becomes a big noobfest for everyone.
gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
having played both 360 and PS3 extensively as its my job, the only thing the DS3 has over the 360 controller is the Dpad.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jason_A

[QUOTE="Jason_A"]

hywel69

YOu Sir, deserve a big Cigar. I've been thinking of this for months. I used to play PC FPS, and the lame dead zone on the 360 has been driving me nuts!

Imagine a mouse where it lags out for a whole square inch in between moving up/down/left/right; you'd throw said mouse in the bin.

The "dead zone" on the 360 controller is HUGE. Funny though I notice I can't seem to miss on Halo Reach, auto-aim FTL!

Thanks for the support - most people don't seem to get it.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jason_A

I am the topic poster.

I think that people who just don't get it are people who fall into one of these categories:

1) They have not played FPS games on both systems so they don't realize how bad the 360 controller is for FPS games, or

2) They have played FPS games on both systems but they are not good players and so they can't appreciate the benefits of more fine movement on the PS3

I think that anyone who has played FPS games on both systems and is a good player will definitely agree that the PS3 controller is much better.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
[QUOTE="sonny2dap"]all i will say is lol, a greater dead zone actually allows for finer movements, I.E if you steadily increase pressure on a stick and you immediately begin moving due to a minimal dead zone you will over rotate and be forced into sweeping movements, if you have a slightly larger dead zone you are able to more accurately recognise not only when you begin movement but also when your on target, it's a case of slow is smooth and smooth is fast. surprised no one else has pointed this out.Jason_A
You are missing the point in saying "if you steadily increase pressure on a stick and you immediately begin moving due to a minimal dead zone you will over rotate and be forced into sweeping movements". The point is that if you are more stable and precise (i.e. a better player), this will not happen and you will be better than players who can't handle the smaller deadzone (i.e. people who are not good players). With the larger deadzone on the 360, this difference between players is diminished and it becomes a big noobfest for everyone.

If it bothers you that much, get these
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#47 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I think you have an old or defective controller and you're overly sensitive. Two of my 360 controllers from around launch have the dead zone issue - one more than the other - but my newer one is night and tight. It's not hard to play a shooter on the old ones, as you just have to move your finger an extra millimeter to spur movement. It's the same deal with high level racing play without assists, as that tiny bit of motion can throw you up. But it doesn't take long to get used to. I think the length, the shape, and the looseness of the PS3 analog sticks are a bigger issue than any potential dead zone on the 360 pad. Plus, my old PS3 controller has the same dead zone problem as the 360 and triggers like goiters.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DJ_Headshot

The 360 controller is clearly designed better, but I don't really like controllers anymore. They feel pretty clunky. I prefer the Wiimote/numchuck.

GreySeal9
and those are still controllers just motion controllers :P But what genre's do you say this about?
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts
This. Not to mention that the 360 controller has superior ergonomics and the offset analog stick placement.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Deadzone is somewhat allowed by developers, on PS3 on CoD games and BF2 the deadzones are very similar but on GT5 there is virtually no deadzone, i think a few people will agree that very subtle movements are registered on GT5. So i'm led to believe the deadzone is down to developer implementation of the controller inputs.