The company that puts out the best quality out of the big three.

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The company that puts out the best quality out of the big three. (130 votes)

Nintendo 38%
Microsoft 6%
Sony 48%
N64DD has more polls than a strip club. 8%

What does everybody think?

You know i'm going with Nintendo.

• 
Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

What does the Xbox put out, I wonder?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

MS by a light-year or three. Xbox Won. :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Sony has the exclusives I enjoy.

Nintendo has the exclusives I enjoy playing with my family.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Sony for me.

Nintendo does too but in a more family friendly way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Quality of what Hardware, Software, Life...

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Nintendo produces high quality games with a focus on gameplay over flash.
Sony has really high quality as well, but most of their games play and feel the same, and lack in the gameplay department.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

I mean, Microsoft has the best hardware (for now), but Sony has the best games. Nintendo isn't even in the discussion nor should they be because they keep making flop after flop when it comes to consoles with only the original Wii and handhelds being successful. I grew up playing the NES and SNES, but if you look at Nintendo, they really haven't evolved as a company.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Sony because they actually have new IP's instead of just rinsing old ones ala Nintendo.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sgt_Crow

@mighty-lu-bu said:

I mean, Microsoft has the best hardware (for now), but Sony has the best games. Nintendo isn't even in the discussion nor should they be because they keep making flop after flop when it comes to consoles with only the original Wii and handhelds being successful. I grew up playing the NES and SNES, but if you look at Nintendo, they really haven't evolved as a company.

How big was the rock you've been under for the past year?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu said:

LOL wut?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by quality. For instance, I believe Sony put out quality video games with fantastic production values, but in some instances, I'm not fond of their design.

Whereas the production values on Nintendo games can be hit and miss but I usually find are more interestingly designed video games, or simply more unique.

I went with who's games I prefer and so I voted for Nintendo as generally speaking, their games wow on the fun-factor of gameplay; Especially when they're at the top of their game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
@Sgt_Crow said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Last I checked pal, Sony was still crushing it with sales and they have released the best exclusives. I don't live in Narnia, I live in the real world where there are things called "sales figures". Sony knocked it out of the park this generation.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Nintendo has been on a roll lately

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sgt_Crow

@scatteh316 said:

Sony because they actually have new IP's instead of just rinsing old ones ala Nintendo.

A different skin doesn't make it new.
Most Sony exclusives play and feel the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mighty-lu-bu said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

Last I checked pal, Sony was still crushing it with sales and they have released the best exclusives. I don't live in Narnia, I live in the real world where there are things called "sales figures". Sony knocked it out of the park this generation.

That's a subjective statement that folk would argue on. Do you feel it is absolutely fair to say Nintendo's first party offerings do not rival Sony's?

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Is it difficult to master last gen tech instead of pushing the envelope? Asking for a friend.

WoodenStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WoodenStick
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

Oh yeah, Horizon, Uncharted and God of War, they are so unique that they all are 3rd person, plays the same and... whoops.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

Sony, as they are constantly making new high quality IPs... Nintendo is good, don't get me wrong... but they desperately need to create NEW stuff.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rafaelmsoares

@WoodenStick said:
@scatteh316 said:

Oh yeah, Horizon, Uncharted and God of War, they are so unique that they all are 3rd person, plays the same and... whoops.

Well... Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokémon have played basically the same since the N64/SNES/GB days... so, what's your point?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@rafaelmsoares said:
@WoodenStick said:
@scatteh316 said:

Well... Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokémon have played almost the same since the N64/SNES/GB days... so, what's your point?

Ummmm...Actually they're quite different. With Mario, Nintendo probably could have released M64 clones and gotten away with it, but instead they chose to experiment with different mechanics for Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey. Galaxy is the only Mario game since the SNES era to get a direct sequel. Breath of the Wild outright tears down most of what had become standard for Zelda games. Kirby has tried different mechanics with Planet Robobot and Epic Yarn, not to mention all the minigame themed side titles. Pokemon Sun and Moon explicitly set out to differentiate itself from previous Pokemon titles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
@jumpaction said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@mighty-lu-bu said:

That's a subjective statement that folk would argue on. Do you feel it is absolutely fair to say Nintendo's first party offerings do not rival Sony's?

It's not subjective- go look a the metacritic ratings and sales figures for PS4 exclusives, then come back to me. I think Nintendo crushed it with the latest Mario game and with latest Zelda installment, but that is about it.

What exclusives does Sony have? God of War, which is shaping up to be the most critically acclaimed game of this generation, the Shadow of the Colossus remake, the Ratchet and Clank remake, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Remastered, Until Dawn, The Last Guardian, Nioh, Yakuza Kimwami, Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6, Drive club, which had a rough launch, but is awesome now, Persona 5, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Street Fighter V, Nier, Automata and the list goes on and on.

How does XBox compete? With Halo, another Gears of War game, Ryse, Forza and Sea of Thieves?

How does Nintendo compete? With Mario, and Zelda?

There is a clear winner this generation and it is Sony.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mighty-lu-bu: How is it not subjective? :P You're metric is one based on subjective thought. Metacritic is not an objective metric. Frankly, I don't even think game critics are particularly great authorities on video games. Most of them can't effectively explain a game and the standard for criticism in this medium is rather low, if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't trust a Metacritic rating regarding video games to give me a valuable citation on a game's quality. Not in the medium where gamers and critics alike are constantly flip-flopping between acclaim and damnation in titles like Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

Game reviews are too emotionally driven, and haven't really any firm clutch in game design or even level-headed feedback. It's all very fluffly and hyperbolic.

I understood the topic to be the company that puts out the best games; Which I took to mean games published by them, not someone else. A number of the listed games here are not exclusive titles...

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rafaelmsoares

@theone86 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:
@WoodenStick said:
@scatteh316 said:

Well... Mario, Zelda, Kirby and Pokémon have played almost the same since the N64/SNES/GB days... so, what's your point?

Ummmm...Actually they're quite different. With Mario, Nintendo probably could have released M64 clones and gotten away with it, but instead they chose to experiment with different mechanics for Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey. Galaxy is the only Mario game since the SNES era to get a direct sequel. Breath of the Wild outright tears down most of what had become standard for Zelda games. Kirby has tried different mechanics with Planet Robobot and Epic Yarn, not to mention all the minigame themed side titles. Pokemon Sun and Moon explicitly set out to differentiate itself from previous Pokemon titles.

Mario is still a 3d platformer where Mario runs and jumps like he did on 64. Zelda is still an item based 3d actio-adventure game that plays basically like it did on Ocarina. Kirby... let's be honest, they even use that damn tree on every single game. Pokémon has had the same battle system for 30 years.

Adding new mechanics and gimmicks do little to prove that they do not play the same as they did 20 years ago... specially since every third person movie game from sony also has different mechanics and gimmicks in place so they all play at least marginally differently from each other.

It's basically the same... But at least sony have been doing this for only two generations, unlike Nintendo, who's done it for 5.

Also, saying Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy play entirely different is kinda hypocritital coming from the same fingers that typed that God of War, Horizon and Uncharted play the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@rafaelmsoares: Breath of the Wild is completely different to Ocarina of Time.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts
@rafaelmsoares said:
@theone86 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:
@WoodenStick said:
@scatteh316 said:

Mario is still a 3d platformer where Mario runs and jumps like he did on 64. Zelda is still an item based 3d actio-adventure game that plays basically like it did on Ocarina. Kirby... let's be honest, they even use that damn tree on every single game. Pokémon has had the same battle system for 30 years.

Adding new mechanics and gimmicks do little to prove that they do not play the same as they did 20 years ago... specially since every third person movie game from sony also has different mechanics and gimmicks in place so they all play at least marginally differently from each other.

It's basically the same... But at least sony have been doing this for only two generations, unlike Nintendo, who's done it for 5.

So you're criticizing a platformer for being a platformer?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
@jumpaction said:

@mighty-lu-bu: How is it not subjective? :P You're metric is one based on subjective thought. Metacritic is not an objective metric. Frankly, I don't even think game critics are particularly great authorities on video games. Most of them can't effectively explain a game and the standard for criticism in this medium is rather low, if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't trust a Metacritic rating regarding video games to give me a valuable citation on a game's quality. Not in the medium where gamers and critics alike are constantly flip-flopping between acclaim and damnation in titles like Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3 and Bioshock Infinite.

Game reviews are too emotionally driven, and haven't really any firm clutch in game design or even level-headed feedback. It's all very fluffly and hyperbolic.

I understood the topic to be the company that puts out the best games; Which I took to mean games published by them, not someone else. A number of the listed games here are not exclusive titles...

Now you are just talking nonsense- the reason metacritic scores are important because it actually gives some indication of how good a game actually is. If there are 50+ critics and most of them are saying the same thing then we can only assume that the game is good / bad.

Also, everything I listed is a Sony exclusive so I am not sure what you are trying to argue. Sony has had the best exclusives this generation- end of discussion.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rafaelmsoares
@theone86 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:
@theone86 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

Not in the slightest... just pointing out the hypocrisy of saying a shooter, an action game and an RPG are the same game and play the same just because they have a 3rd person perspective and are all made by Sony's first party studios.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rafaelmsoares

@jumpaction said:

@rafaelmsoares: Breath of the Wild is completely different to Ocarina of Time.

The only changes it made actually made it play worse... like the awful lock-on mechanic they have in place. I mean, Zelda invented this type of mechanic and perfected it on their very first 3d game... how they were able to eff that up on their most recent one still baffles me.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I enjoy Sony's exclusives but my favorites are on Nintendos platform. I feel Nintendos exclusives have more creativity. I like the worlds they created with Mario Galaxy Metroid Prime Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess Mario Odyssey. I still enjoy Sony though just not as much.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Microsoft put out Sea of Thieves, which bombed. This is their only AAA exclusive besides an annual Forza game every year since early last year with Halo Wars 2.

Cuphead and Super Lucky’s Tale were indies with the latter bombing. PUBG is coming to PS4. Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 have been announced for years with no release date and both are being directly published by Microsoft. Both games look average to mediocre with Crackdown 3 having a possibility of cancellation. Oh yeah. And some sort of rumor of a Fable reboot.

Nintendo had Breath of the Wild and then Super Mario Odyssey with nothing relevant since. No info or release dates on the next Smash, Pokémon, Metroid Prime 4 or mainline Fire Emblem title.

Sony has had Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted Lost Legacy, GT Sport, Horizon Frozen Wildlands, God of War tomorrow, Detroit Become Human next month, Spider-Man in September, and then Dreams, Days Gone and The Last of Us Part II coming next year. Other games with no confirmed release dates include Concrete Genie, WiLd, FF7 Remake, Death Stranding, Shenmue III and Ghost of Tsushima.

I think the winner is clear obvious.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@mighty-lu-bu: your post was a good laugh

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

The company with the by the gamers, for the gamers mantra.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@rafaelmsoares: Can you explain how they messed it up? It seems relatively the same to me. Regardless, the way many core elements of past Zelda games operated have been totally changed in Breath of the Wild. Items and their primary functions are different, as is the progression system and gameplay loop. They are in no way similar games other than general references and aesthetics close to the series and its lore. Gameplay wise, they are vastly different games.

@MightyLubu:

Game critics are writers who like video games. The majority have no formal education in game design or game development; evident to anyone who had studied or read about the practice and further exemplified in the body of their reviews. Game criticism is fairly slap-dash, typically with very vague, top-level points that are poorly explored or exemplified with any really tangible examples in the game or subject. They are also heavily emotionally based and hyperbolic.

It's not uncommon for a critic to be extremely indulgent in the flavor of the month in games like Skyward Sword, only to realize a couple of months later that it's not all that great. Careful consideration of a game and its design would prevent this reactionary and flip-fop form of writing that is so prevalent in this medium. Frankly, there is better. People like Chris Wagar, Mark Brown, Youtube's Turbo Button and even game designers like David Sirlin write and produce content that has substance. Agree or disagree with what they put out, it's a level beyond the fashion-mag stuff you see on Metacritic. Thankfully, because video games are growing up with the Internet, it has meant many of our designers themselves are open to talking about their games. Plenty of resources can be found on Youtube channels such as panel talks on GDC to give players a more visible discussion of gameplay mechanics that I don't think the common video game critic is capable of offering.

I don't care how many critics are saying the same thing, I don't hold their opinion as authoritative on the subject matter; certainly not high enough to suggest their opinion is objective fact like you suggest. I don't want this to act as any reflection on you or how you value video games, or a reflection on any one critic personally but I don't think the quality of criticism in this medium is good enough to use as it is being used; instead I think this medium is really frightened of relying on ones own opinion, and uses the opinions of others (not even the opinion but rather an abstract number supposed to represent it) as a metric of quality, a quality that not even these critics are consistent with.

Regarding exclusivity, you could have fooled me because I'm playing Nioh, Street Fighter V and Nier Automata on PC.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is on Xbox One and PC.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rafaelmsoares

@jumpaction said:

@rafaelmsoares: Can you explain how they messed it up? It seems relatively the same to me.

The camera not actually targeting the enemy is one way they messed it up.

WoodenStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WoodenStick
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

@theone86 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:
@theone86 said:
@rafaelmsoares said:

Zelda changed a lot in the 80's to the 90's, Zelda's top down action and art style is all different to Zelda II Adventure of Link and A Link To The Past changed it back to top down but can you recall ALTTP's gameplay similar to Zelda I? Just the slightest.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rafaelmsoares

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

The company with the by the gamers, for the gamers mantra.

SEGA?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

MS shouldn't even be in this poll. Putting out basically multiplats only has made them lose their status as one of the "big three". It's more like the big two now.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Sgt_Crow said:

Nintendo produces high quality games with a focus on gameplay over flash.

Sony has really high quality as well, but most of their games play and feel the same, and lack in the gameplay department.

Reminds me of that pic of all the sony exclusives having the same look, style, tone, and taking place in the woods.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sgt_Crow

@mighty-lu-bu: You’re saying Nintendo should be left out of the discussion since they only make flops, yet the Switch has been a massive succes so far.

So, how big of a rock was it?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sgt_Crow

@Bread_or_Decide: I wanted to include that in my comment but could’nt find it. :(

Extremely accurate picture though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@rafaelmsoares: What? The camera does target the enemy. There is a lock-on system just as there was in previous Zelda games. The drawback it has to contemporary lock on systems is the inability to change the enemy you are focusing on by switching the analog stick. This is something you can do in Nioh, for example.

It still focuses on the enemy, but the player is free to sway the camera, and this is done, I believe because AI can flank in BoTW.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I wish there was an option for both nintendo/Sony, because they are the only two putting out quality games this gen. but we i must say that Xb1x is the most powerful xbox 360 emulator ever created

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rafaelmsoares

@jumpaction said:

@rafaelmsoares: What? The camera does target the enemy. There is a lock-on system just as there was in previous Zelda games. The drawback it has to contemporary lock on systems is the inability to change the enemy you are focusing on by switching the analog stick. This is something you can do in Nioh, for example.

The camera doesn't stay fixed on the enemy, it's kinda free in a way. That's what mostly bother me.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@calvincfb said:

What does the Xbox put out, I wonder?

Old games in 4K.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@rafaelmsoares: Oh! Now I understand you. This was added because AI now have the behavior to flank the player. I think it would have been better to include the ability to jump between targets while locked, but I definitely think allowing freedom of control even when locked avoids situations where AI attack you from behind without your knowing.

Given that UI elements are entirely optionally in BoTW, the game couldn't depend on the mini-map to convey this information as not all players are liable to have this switched on. Of course, there could have been other clues to express this, but I think having an auto-lock and re-snap was better than no system at all to compensate for the improved AI behavior over the previous games. I definitely don't think they mistakenly effed it up; It was a design decision made to compensate for changes made to enemies.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

This thread is basically belong to Nintendo VS Sony.. lol at MS when it comes to first party games (beside their annual racer.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@ni6htmare01: They have published some pretty good games. Ori and the Blind Forest for example.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rafaelmsoares

@jumpaction said:

@rafaelmsoares: Oh! Now I understand you. This was added because AI now have the behavior to flank the player. I think it would have been better to include the ability to jump between targets while locked, but I definitely think allowing freedom of control even when locked avoids situations where AI attack you from behind without your knowing.

Given that UI elements are entirely optionally in BoTW, the game couldn't depend on the mini-map to convey this information as not all players are liable to have this switched on. Of course, there could have been other clues to express this, but I think having an auto-lock and re-snap was better than no system at all to compensate for the improved AI behavior over the previous games. I definitely don't think they mistakenly effed it up; It was a design decision made to compensate for changes made to enemies.

It still doesn't click with me... I would've kinda preferred the option to play it like it was before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@rafaelmsoares: I get that. It can be hard to adjust to a new system when something is familiar that you feel works fine the way it is.

That being said, Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild are still not remotely similar. :P

One of the crucial elements of the typical Zelda game, items, saw such a reinvention that it should be a big waving flag that the game has changed.

Note: This video is highlighting the differences in design. I'm not trying to make a point regarding which design choice is better.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rafaelmsoares

@jumpaction said:

@rafaelmsoares: I get that. It can be hard to adjust to a new system when something is familiar that you feel works fine the way it is.

That being said, Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild are still not remotely similar. :P

That was my point the whole time... they are not... just like God of War and freaking Uncharted aren't.