The biggest gaming related ripoff you've ever experienced?

• 71 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Probably Sim City in 2013. I remember being super hyped for that game, and even posting about in SW. Then it became this big disaster because EA decided to make it online only and it failed to work at all. The features were also stripped down and it was obvious EA was trying to turn every add on into a DLC opportunity. Come to think of it, it's yet another series EA messed up. I'm sure I can think of other ripoffs too. I remember back in the PS2 era I bought Zone of Enders, and literally beat it within hours of buying it. I felt pretty ripped off, and I was much younger then. What about you, SW? What is the biggest gaming related ripoff you've ever had?

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Probably FFXV. If I'd known it'd be that incomplete I would've just waited and picked up the royal edition. Now I refuse to buy it because of the $ I already spent on the base game and Prompto, Gladio, and Ignis's dlc's too

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

MGS5...... worlds most boring open world.....

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Halo 5 without any shadow of a doubt. I broke my own rule and ordered it day one (massive Halo fan) and I wasn't just hugely disappointed by the shit game with a completely incomprehensible story that was made purely for multiplayer I also thought hang on a minute, this is nothing like the game they advertised in the build up to release.

The marketing campaign presented skull and dagger storylines round the masterchief that never materialised in the game. They even did journalistic episodes building up events that never happened at all in the game. Absolutely shocking release in every sense, not just the worst Halo game by a million zillion miles, one of the worst single player experiences in any genre OF ALL TIME!

Okay that's my little rant out of the way lol.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#5 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

WOW: Battle for Azeroth- Continuing the downhill slide the game has been in since Pandaria. Its clear Acti Blizz only cares about how long everything takes to pad out your sub time rather than quality game design.

Spore- Its DRM destroyed my computer and I had to reformat everything. Only game Ive ever thrown in the garbage.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Spore... definitely Spore.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Xbox One X

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts
@recloud said:

Xbox One X

somehow i just don't believe you

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

Halo 5 without any shadow of a doubt. I broke my own rule and ordered it day one (massive Halo fan) and I wasn't just hugely disappointed by the shit game with a completely incomprehensible story that was made purely for multiplayer I also thought hang on a minute, this is nothing like the game they advertised in the build up to release.

The marketing campaign presented skull and dagger storylines round the masterchief that never materialised in the game. They even did journalistic episodes building up events that never happened at all in the game. Absolutely shocking release in every sense, not just the worst Halo game by a million zillion miles, one of the worst single player experiences in any genre OF ALL TIME!

Yeah, hard to disagree... I pre-ordered the special edition on XBL, which was stupid (at least if I bought a physical copy I could've returned it).

Being a massive Halo fan, I was so disappointed in that campaign. It felt like a COD campaign... ok, but nothing special. It's a bit sad when the lead-up promotional story content they put out (like that Hunt the Truth campaign) was more interesting than the actual game.

But anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic that Infinite will be much better.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ReCloud
@drlostrib said:
@recloud said:

Xbox One X

Give me a good reason for why I should care.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Fallout 4.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Since they fired Brian Reed (the writer for H5) I'd say infinite has a great chance of being far better.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@blueinheaven said:

Yeah, hard to disagree... I pre-ordered the special edition on XBL, which was stupid (at least if I bought a physical copy I could've returned it).

Being a massive Halo fan, I was so disappointed in that campaign. It felt like a COD campaign... ok, but nothing special. It's a bit sad when the lead-up promotional story content they put out (like that Hunt the Truth campaign) was more interesting than the actual game.

They got a lot of grief for the SP element of Halo 5 but they got a lot of praise for the MP element. I don't play Halo MP but it seems to be universally agreed that it's something special which is fine and all but where does that leave us?

There seems to be no reason Infinite shouldn't be a huge improvement on 5 in every way if they learn their lessons but if they go all out MP again with SP as something of a chore that they are contracted to do (which is exactly how 5 felt) Infinite will be fucking awful as well.

I guess we just have to hope they go back to the roots of what makes Halo such an amazing experience. I get the feeling Infinite is their last chance so I wish them well and hope they deliver.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@blueinheaven said:

They got a lot of grief for the SP element of Halo 5 but they got a lot of praise for the MP element. I don't play Halo MP but it seems to be universally agreed that it's something special which is fine and all but where does that leave us?

There seems to be no reason Infinite shouldn't be a huge improvement on 5 in every way if they learn their lessons but if they go all out MP again with SP as something of a chore that they are contracted to do (which is exactly how 5 felt) Infinite will be fucking awful as well.

I guess we just have to hope they go back to the roots of what makes Halo such an amazing experience. I get the feeling Infinite is their last chance so I wish them well and hope they deliver.

Yeah, agreed. They need to give the campaign more time/focus, and not make it all about the fu*king MP.

I think the guys making the campaign need to go back and play through Halo 1-4 again and remind themselves what made those games special. Then expand on it. Some people say it's because Bungie isn't making them anymore and 343 can't make a good Halo game... I say that's bullsh*t because I really enjoyed 4's campaign.

Anyway, fingers crossed.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The Wii

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DrLostRib
@recloud said:
@drlostrib said:
@recloud said:

Xbox One X

Give me a good reason for why I should care.

oh, nvm that seems to confirm it

I'm sure a fanboy troll like you wouldn't miss the chance to go "lolz owned u"

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

The Wii U. Limited 3rd party support (worse than usual) and was shelved quickly. I don't get discounts on the games ported to the Switch. The Wii U was the biggest marketing disaster ever and I'm convinced that there are people that own the Switch that have no clue a Wii U even existed before it.

Evolve is up there too. Probably my worst full price purchase this gen.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7266 Posts

I got Soul Calibur V day one, and while the game gets way more hate than it deserves, there is no denying it has about half the content of SC IV.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

The Order: 1886 without a doubt.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Final Fantasy XV. Probably said this 100 times on this forum.

Paid £40 at launch. The game is essentially not the full package, it took less than 30 hours to beat the game - the shortest main Final Fantasy title I've ever played to date.

Requires season pass 1 (£25) for extra storyline content and online multiplayer. Then Square-Enix releases FFXV: Royal Edition that includes the whole of season pass 1 (£30). And then they announced season pass 2 (£??). At some point they'll release FFXV: Knights Edition featuring season pass 1 and 2 on a single disc (probably £30 at launch). Wouldn't be surprised if they announced season pass 3. Though, I don't know if that's ever been done in the gaming industry.

Just when I thought FF13 was shite, at the least they made sequels to extend the storyline rather than releasing the same game again with additional content.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Biggest would be my initial PS3 purchase. Original 60gb BC version, which wasn't used all that heavily until a little later in the gen when Sony started to turn the PS3 around.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@blueinheaven: agreed re: halo 5. That game made me sell my xbone lol. I could not believe how shitty the experience was. I felt like I was playing a 360 game.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

There was a FIFA game in 2006 I bought. I teamed up with a buddy, we set the difficult to hard, and started a season together. Got all the way to the world cup, and then I found out that you had to buy a world cup-edition of the game to play further. It was a long time ago, but will never be forgotten. That was the last FIFA game I bought.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReCloud

@drlostrib: today you learned that I don't give two shits about you.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

AMY ps3 what a ripoff even at 2 dollars and sacred 3 not worth playing for free

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

Kung Fu for the NES.

Beat it in a hour, my pops spent $40 on that game. Had to play it over and over for a month so he wouldn't bitch about it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44156 Posts

I can’t really recall ever feeling like I was ripped off with a gaming product. If there was a time it was very, very long ago.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

My jaw dropped when I saw a character skin selling for $15 in Gears 4

Something which I actually paid for - Transformers Devastation comes to mind . Very short game, but still recycles the same environments throughout the game and they pad it with rpg elements to make it seem like it has more value. Still enjoyed it though.

The new Super Mario bros series - very enjoyable games to be sure - but should be budget games

Remasters have gotten worse over time. When they first started you got 2 or 3 games usually for under $60. Now you get a single game, some of which I believe cost as much as a new game

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I definitely blew money on stuff that I wound up not getting much use out of that's for sure. Wii U is the first that comes to mind.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

Halo 2. Waited outside in the cold for hours at the midnight release, got Xbox Live for multiplayer, and got my roommate to buy an Xbox so we could practice. Biggest gaming let down of my life.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Probably Battlefront 2: Deluxe edition. Thing costs like 110+ dollars and I only played it enough to determine I hate it. Most boring game ever.

@svaubel said:

WOW: Battle for Azeroth- Continuing the downhill slide the game has been in since Pandaria. Its clear Acti Blizz only cares about how long everything takes to pad out your sub time rather than quality game design.

Spore- Its DRM destroyed my computer and I had to reformat everything. Only game Ive ever thrown in the garbage.

WoW: BfA is actually a pretty decent expansion, what are your issues with it?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@AsadMahdi59: Most remasters cost $30ish or less.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrLostRib
@recloud said:

Thanks, you have no idea how little that means to me

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Surprised no ones said Destiny... I'm actually back into the second version and will be getting Forsaken so I won't claim I felt ripped off yet... They have improved again. So the only game I can think of is FFXV... Only spent $20 on it though, but expected more from the game. Could only play a few hours and gave up.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@recloud said:

Thanks, you have no idea how little that means to me

Recloud's opinion is worth nothing, so i'm right here with ya.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Gaming it self.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

The PS3 at launch.

Sony had to tell people to get a second job to pay for it.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Destiny.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Star Wars Battlefront

The EA one that came out a few years back. I played the beta and wished I could get all of my time back. Immediately downloaded the original BF2 and had a blast.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, my roommate tried to warn me but i said idc love tony hawk, returned that shit the same day i got it

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Buying Crusader Kings 2 and the Sims 4 for about £30, only to find out later down the line that the full game experience costs hundreds of pounds.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@mave198: "Kung Fu for the NES. Beat it in a hour, my pops spent $40 on that game. Had to play it over and over for a month so he wouldn't bitch about it."

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

@jeezers: I might second that. I've seen many dissapointmens in gaming, I started on NES in like '86- but that piece of crap was a lowblow. All they had to do pretty much is re-skin ANY great THPS game, and it would have been a hit. That POS is an insult to the franchise and everyone involved with its existence needs to be shot and pissed on.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I haven't experienced it, but the price of Fallout 4's season pass would be right up there.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@dr_vancouver: I played it for about 2 hours, worse 2 hours of gaming I think I've ever had... was very depressing, had to boot up pro skater on the n64 afterwards lol

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

- Consoles

- Console pay to play online

- Console peripheral prices

- Microsoft prices in the Microsoft game store

- Lootboxes

- Season passes that claim to "offer 100+ bucks of content for only 50 bucks", but in reality they offer 10 bucks worth of content or less

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@vfighter said:

@AsadMahdi59: Most remasters cost $30ish or less.

Most of the PS2 remasters done during the PS3 era were $39.99 MSRP and usually included 2 or 3 games. That was a somewhat fair starting point. Just needed to wait for a sale and they were a fair deal IMO.

I think they've tried to take some PS3/360 era games, and make them full $59.99 MSRP. I guess it isn't THAT egregious, as some of them are "cross gen" games like Last of Us Remastered and GTA V. It's just bad when they take a 10 year old game and do it. With a newer game, you can expect it to be $59.99.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Destiny 2 if you buy everything day 1

60$ base game

40$ Expansion I and II (and really bad expansions at that)

40$ Expansion III

30$ Anual pass

probably 30$ more for the last expansion going by the same system as Destiny 1

Total: 200$ for a fvcking game that is sold to us in pieces, not like the expansions implement anything that wasnt already available in D1.

and with all these money grabbing schemes it still has loot boxes

I used to be a big Destiny fan and defender but this just hasnt an excuse. I went to Warframe and never looked back. I now have more than 7 prime frames and more than 200pl WITHOUT paying a CENT!

After all these time one would expect Bungie to throw a bone to Destiny long time supporters BUT NO, money is all they care about while DE keeps thriving without exploiting gamers wallets

I'm done with Destiny. I wont ever support this POS rip off of a game ever again

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Destiny 2 or MGS V. Both crap azz games that couldn't hold my attention long enough to finish.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@mandzilla said:

Buying Crusader Kings 2 and the Sims 4 for about £30, only to find out later down the line that the full game experience costs hundreds of pounds.

Sims 4, over £300 in fact, the base game got boring in five minutes. One day I probably will, spent way too much in Sims 3.