The Big Secret To Nintendo NX May Be AR

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Okay, before we proceed, let's first take a look at what The Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki, a well known analyst, reporter, and Nintendo stock holder and insider, had to say about Nintendo's financial briefing later today, and what they might discuss there:

In general, it appears as though he, and most other analysts who have some inside track on what Nintendo is planning, are expecting AR to be the big gimmick here.

That's not all, either. I did some digging, and guess what I found-

[0085] FIGS. 4A-4C show different non-limiting options for devices that can be worn on the head and can support a marker or emitter for tracking purposes. Such devices can include for example a hat, a headband, glasses, or anything that is wearable or supportable on the head or other part of the body to provide possible mounting opportunities. For camera based tracking, it is possible for example to wear a marker 56b on the head and provide a camera 56a in a stationary position such as on the display 52. A visible band light camera can be used in conjunction with face detection software to determine the location of the head and to extrapolate the position of the eyes. To improve detection, it is possible to decrease the signal-to-noise ratio by wearing a marker. In the case of an IR camera, the infrared spectrum detection can be enhanced by ignoring all visible spectrum. Infrared (IR) emitters such as IR LEDs can be used to illuminate a scene with retroreflector markers. An IR emitter can be worn directly as markers providing high signal-to-noise ratio. Other arrangements can include a camera on the player's head and a marker on the display 52 or other fixed location in the room, or multiple cameras or other imaging devices to divide the field of view. Ultrasonic, magnetic, electromagnetic or any other suitable tracking technology can be used.

[0095] Further example enhancements:

[0096] Augmented Reality. Some synthetic picture intermixed with the real world can be used. This is a quick and realistic possibility to e.g., project certain types of images such as robots or to play a chess game. If we can locate in the real world where a planar surface is, we could each look through this object and see the same virtual object augmented into the real world. A display that is 50% real world, 50% synthetic, with positioning techniques and way to possibly detect motion or position is possible.

[0097] It is possible to use goggles to accommodate eye glasses. If used, then it is possible to handle see-through. An alternative is to capture the real world with a camera. Resolution is less, but we get the benefit of providing a hyper stereo view and enhancement of real world view.

[0098] It is possible to Invite your Curiosity by displaying the "inside" image on a screen that everyone could see. One way: cupped mirror could be half-reflective, one-way so observers can see an image of what the user is seeing. This gets a larger group involvement. Another way is to provide multiple head sets.

[0099] Enhancing the VR experience Additional output devices that enhance the experience can be provided. For example, we can put light out that is correlated to the image to provide "ultra wide field of view correlated lighting." Given that your eye does not see clearly in the periphery, this could still be useful and interesting.

[0100] Additionally, smell is a very strong sense. There may be some ways to produce aromas for a very strong experience.

[0101] Virtual wind could enhance the experience.

[0102] Temperature: blowing cool air on your face.

[0103] Physiologically comfortable stereo viewing is a way to prevent headaches. If you find a little spec on your windshield, focus on that and then far field and then back again. Eye strain happens quite quickly. Lots of folks in the past require the users to focus far field and close up, but this can cause headaches. We can stay on one side of the focal point cone, to provide higher level of comfort.

[0104] Detect Emotions via monitoring mental state. Brain wave detection, detect eye movement, heart rate monitor or the like can be used. If we provide goggles, we can also provide detectors (electrodes) fairly easily.

[0105] Shroud Possible to filtering out the real world by using a shroud

[0106] While the technology herein has been described in connection with exemplary illustrative non-limiting embodiments, the invention is not to be limited by the disclosure. The invention is intended to be defined by the claims and to cover all corresponding and equivalent arrangements whether or not specifically disclosed herein.

[0032] Number of Markers [0033] 1 point provides viewpoint movement along a spherical shell [0034] 2 markers provides position in 3D space of the viewpoint assuming eye is looking at the screen. [0035] >=3 points provide position in 3D space of the viewpoint as well as eye viewing orientation. [0036] 1 point provides the greatest physical presence as player normally moves head side to side to view an object or scene to understand the spatial structure. [0037] 2 point adds the ability to move viewpoint closer or further from the display assuming the eye remain looking at the display (reasonable assumption) [0038] 3 points provide viewpoint orientation. Game can become aware of player's viewing direction (e.g. other game characters might say "hey look at me")

[0039] Wearable Mount [0040] Hat [0041] Headband [0042] Glasses [0043] Anything wearable on head or even other part of the body represents possible mounting opportunity

[0044] Options [0045] Camera on head, marker on TV [0046] Multiple cameras to divide field of view

[0047] Other Tracking Technologies [0048] Magnetic [0049] Ultrasonic

Example Usage

[0050] Viewing:

[0051] The illusion of physical presence

[0052] Players natural movement as viewing input

[0053] Dodging

Game Character Awareness

[0054] E.g. Game character becoming aware when the player looks away

Physical Presence Visual Enhancement

[0055] These techniques maximize the 3D object's physical presence illusion: [0056] View point change results in view frustum change [0057] Objects modeled in real world coordinates and placed near the physical TV screen [0058] Increase parallax--introduce near field and far field objects in view to maximize parallax motion [0059] Enhance movement by scaling and offsets of marked points or marker placement [0060] 3D data can be modeled in real world space coordinates (e.g., a 3D character such as a football player can be 15'' tall placed near the plane of the display) [0061] As user eye position moves, appropriately rotate and translate in 3D characters to match the proper viewing from new eye position

Then, too, there are Nintendo's insistences that the Nintendo NX is something entirely new, and a clean break from what the DS and Wii lines have provided so far:

NX Will Not Be A Continuation of 3DS Or Wii U, Says Iwata

Nintendo NX is “Dedicated Video Game Platform With Brand New Concept”

Nintendo NX: Nintendo President Promises Totally New Gaming Experience With The Console

Nintendo NX Isn’t Next Version Of Wii U or Wii

Nintendo NX Will Have A Brand New Concept

Nintendo NX Will Provide “New Experience”, Different From Wii U/3DS

Nintendo NX Will Surprise Fans With New Ideas And Not Build On Old Ones

(I've used links to the website I write for here, mostly because internally for me, it is easier to manage, index, and organize information this way, and it was easier for me to find all of these instances by doing so; none of these pieces but one was written by me, however, and you are free to not click on any of them)

Anyway, does it not sound like there is something completely new in the works here? It's pretty clear that motion, touch screens, 3D, and whatever the f*ck Wii U was is not the gimmick with the NX- does AR sound so unlikely? Especially since it can indeed be 'social' (the way Nintendo defines it anyway)? Especially when you consider Nintendo already experimented with a rudimentary form of the technology on the 3DS?

What do you think is the secret to the Nintendo NX? Could it be AR?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

So they are going for a more hololens type system? It seems like a lot to put in one system if its also going to be a hybrid which is crazy enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

How do they intend to do this without the dreaded "dorky glasses" or a very high priced system, which they've traditionally avoided?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

This goes somewhat in line with an MMO project from a third party I've been hearing about. Wasn't fully sure if it was going VR/AR or if the title was just getting a release for updated hardware.

It could all be bologna but I was led to believe something like this was in the works. Might have been for the PS4 as well.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Ehh, I'm not really optimistic about it...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Lame.... I don't need another Virtual Boy......

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts
@darkspineslayer said:

How do they intend to do this without the dreaded "dorky glasses" or a very high priced system, which they've traditionally avoided?

They dont. Its nonsense speculation. MS AR solution costs at the moment 3000$ and still has a long way to go before they can bring it to the consumer. There is no way nintendo has a better headset at an acceptable price.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I can see a better form of whats in the 3ds, but nothing at all like that image. Maybe the will go big on Sony's PS Camera AR and take that to the next level.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

annnnndddd there's your gimmick!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

I be surprise if this is better then what MS are doing for AR. So were looking at MS vs Nintendo AR huh?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@davillain- said:

I be surprise if this is better then what MS are doing for AR. So were looking at MS vs Nintendo AR huh?

I don't think so. Hololens is a small lightweight computer you wear like a hat.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#12 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

No way in hell they build it around a headset. I refuse to accept that reality.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

That seems like the worst gimmick ever!

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

It will probably be small like the AR they did on 3DS. The stuff is fun for just quick plays, but it does get old. Maybe someone can make a fun game using the new AR tech.