The Best RPG on both PSP & DS!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

I am trying to getting into this whole RPG craze. What is the best game that exist on both Handhelds?? I was told Disgaea is there any others that top this one??

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
The best RPGs are on the PC and Consoles.
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I am trying to getting into this whole RPG craze. What is the best game that exist on both Handhelds?? I was told Disgaea is there any others that top this one??

Coolyfett
If you want Disgaea I suggest you buying it for your Ps2, and if you want me to tell you some games I want to know what sub-genre you like first.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

TWEWY, SMT: Devil Survivor and Knights in Nightmare.

You won't hear about the last much because of its unconventional merits and unique take on the genre, but it's really worth checking out... Especially for people who claimthe genre is sstagnating (they just need to stop playing mainstream JRPG's :|).

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Oh yes, another thing is if you want to play ported games.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#6 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am not sure about the PSP but on the DS that award goes to The World Ends With You.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

some of the better RPG's on DS:

TWEWY, Pokemon D/P, Pokemon Platinum, Final Fantasy 2-4, Chrono Trigger

some of the better RPG's on PSP:

Final Fantasy Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness, etc.

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
The World Ends With You on the DS for sure, don't know about the PSP..
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

besides the above mentioned... lunar knights, super robot taisen, soma bringer(although you'll have to go extra measures if u want it in english, though its worth it), chrono trigger if you've never playd it, the dragon quests/ff remakes, pokemon platinum and some more i cant think of at the moment

^^all for DS

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts

The best RPGs are on the PC and Consoles.SparkyProtocol

:lol: consoles? no

in answer to the op i would recommentd twewy, FF3, FF4, DQ4, DQ5, FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance 2, Devil Survivor, crystal chronicles, knights in the nightmare, mario and luigi 2, pokemon platinum, fire emblem

disgaea and jean de arc are ok too

edit: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET CRISIS CORE. IT IS ONE OF THE WORST RPGS EVER MADE.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts

The World Ends With You is my favorite DS RPG, I hear Devil Survivor is pretty good too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I disagree about Crisis Core. It certainly wasn't and isn't the best RPG on the PSP, but it's very good and I enjoyed playing it twice through. Disgaea and Jeanne D'arc are the best SRPGs on the PSP. I've yet to come across a really good JRPG, though I hear good things about Crimson Gem Saga.

I'm surprised that no one has said Mario and Luigi for the DS. I thought it was great.

karriston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 karriston
Member since 2005 • 3631 Posts
[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"]The best RPGs are on the PC and Consoles.hy4k

You're perhaps the only person in the world to think this.
Avatar image for deactivated-59da85d821feb
deactivated-59da85d821feb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-59da85d821feb
Member since 2006 • 2075 Posts
Crisis Core on the PSP. But only if you've played and like Final Fantasy VII, otherwise you won't appreciate it as much.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

You're all wrong. It's Ys. Ys VII is on PSP and Ys I & II are on DS. I win.

Avatar image for freakbabyblues-
freakbabyblues-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freakbabyblues-
Member since 2009 • 665 Posts

in answer to the op i would recommentd twewy, FF3, FF4, DQ4, DQ5, FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance 2, Devil Survivor, crystal chronicles, knights in the nightmare, mario and luigi 2, pokemon platinum, fire emblem

edit: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GET CRISIS CORE. IT IS ONE OF THE WORST RPGS EVER MADE.

I agree. Play it for the epic cutscenes, not the game itself. Gameplay is awful.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="hy4k"][QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"]The best RPGs are on the PC and Consoles.karriston

Agreed, consoles have some of the best RPGs. PSP? I'd say Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Final Fantasy Tactics DS? I'd go with Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Quest 4, Dragon Quest 5. There are a lot more, but those were some of my favorites.
double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
I'd also pitch in Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean: Second evolution for the PSP. :P Oh and Tales of Eternia (only available in EU) and Crimson Gem Saga too. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
[QUOTE="double_heist"]I'd also pitch in Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean: Second evolution for the PSP. :P Oh and Tales of Eternia (only available in EU) and Crimson Gem Saga too. :P

Damn, forgot about those. Well except Crimson Gem Saga, haven't played that.
tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
Advance Dual Strike or something like that.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Phoenix534

I'd also pitch in Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean: Second evolution for the PSP. :P Oh and Tales of Eternia (only available in EU) and Crimson Gem Saga too. :Pdouble_heist

How could I forget Star Ocean? Great games.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is awesome. TWEWY is awesome. Knights in the Nightmare is awesome. Suikoden is awesome.....
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
Advance Dual Strike or something like that.tirralirra
Not really an RPG, but an amazing game indeed.
hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hy4k
[QUOTE="hy4k"][QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"]The best RPGs are on the PC and Consoles.karriston

actually no, no i am not in terms of japanese rpgs handhelds (particularly the DS) absolutely smoke consoles. what exactly have consoles got? valkyria chronicles and tales of vesparia. a good a srpg and a good arpg. how impressive :roll: in terms of wrpgs there's nothing but inferior versions of pc games. even still the pc has games like the witcher, kings bounty and motb. good rpgs that you'd never see on your crappy consoles so all in all consoles are garbage handhelds are awesome, the pc is awesome. educate yourself
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
on the DS, i don't think you can go wrong with titles like The World Ends With You, Pokemon platinum, Fire Emblem: Shadow dragon, or Final Fantasy. all are top rated titles. as for PSP, another poster will have to help you there, i haven't tried any RPGs on mine
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

The best RPGs are on the PC and Consoles.SparkyProtocol
^ This although Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions (FFT port) is one of the best SRPGs around. also this gen the PSP and DS do offer the better choices of JRPGs.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Well in general the best RPGs for both handhelds are...

DS: Devil Survivor,TWEWY, Dragon Quest 4-5 and Chrono Trigger

PSP: Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, Final Fantasy Tactics: WOTL, and Final Fantasy VII: CC.

Note: The ones bolded I dont agree with.

Although my personal favorite DS and PSP RPGs are 7th Dragon for the DS, and Brandish for PSP.... soon to be Ys 7.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="karriston"][QUOTE="hy4k"]:lol: consoles? nohy4k

actually no, no i am not in terms of japanese rpgs handhelds (particularly the DS) absolutely smoke consoles. what exactly have consoles got? valkyria chronicles and tales of vesparia. a good a srpg and a good arpg. how impressive :roll: in terms of wrpgs there's nothing but inferior versions of pc games. even still the pc has games like the witcher, kings bounty and motb. good rpgs that you'd never see on your crappy consoles so all in all consoles are garbage handhelds are awesome, the pc is awesome. educate yourself

Consoles also have Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, Star Ocean, II, III, IV, Demon's Soul, White Knight Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant, Monster Hunter, II, III, Shin Megami Tensei(to many to list), Tales series(to many to list), and so many more.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

[QUOTE="hy4k"][QUOTE="karriston"] You're perhaps the only person in the world to think this.Phoenix534

Consoles also have Lost Odyssey, Final Fantasy, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, Star Ocean, II, III, IV, Demon's Soul, White Knight Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant, Monster Hunter, II, III, Shin Megami Tensei(to many to list), Tales series(to many to list), and so many more.

i think its obvious he is referring to current gen consoles ;)
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="hy4k"] actually no, no i am not in terms of japanese rpgs handhelds (particularly the DS) absolutely smoke consoles. what exactly have consoles got? valkyria chronicles and tales of vesparia. a good a srpg and a good arpg. how impressive :roll: in terms of wrpgs there's nothing but inferior versions of pc games. even still the pc has games like the witcher, kings bounty and motb. good rpgs that you'd never see on your crappy consoles so all in all consoles are garbage handhelds are awesome, the pc is awesome. educate yourselfkidcool189

i think its obvious he is referring to current gen consoles ;)

Well fine. Lost Odysset, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Demon's Soul, White Knight Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, The Last Remnant, Monster Hunter Tri, Tales of Vesperia, and more.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#31 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Devil Survivor.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Coolyfett

Here is my deal. I am a PSP gamer my wife is DS gamer...she is alway telling me that RPGs are the better games, so I figured Id try one out. Now I have never really played one in total. I would like to get the same game for both her and me.

Phantasy Star, Disgaea, Final Fantasy Titles etc...you guys are the experts on this...So what is the best RPG that is on both handhelds?? Ill pick up both versions.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cherokee_Jack

Here is my deal. I am a PSP gamer my wife is DS gamer...she is alway telling me that RPGs are the better games, so I figured Id try one out. Now I have never really played one in total. I would like to get the same game for both her and me.

Phantasy Star, Disgaea, Final Fantasy Titles etc...you guys are the experts on this...So what is the best RPG that is on both handhelds?? Ill pick up both versions.

Coolyfett
The only game I can think of that's on both is Disgaea...but that's more of a strategy RPG and the versions would probably be quite different.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

Cherokee_Jack

The only game I can think of that's on both is Disgaea...but that's more of a strategy RPG and the versions would probably be quite different.

Do they have the same story? If so that is what I am interested in buying us. Phantasy Star is also on both hand helds...I think everyone got confused with what I was asking....maybe it was worded wrong.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hy4k

Phoenix534

sorry i thought you were talking current gen consoles, as long as we can agree that those are garbage we're fine

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

Coolyfett

Do they have the same story? If so that is what I am interested in buying us. Phantasy Star is also on both hand helds...I think everyone got confused with what I was asking....maybe it was worded wrong.

Yes, Disgaea DS and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness (PSP) apparently have the same story. Phantasy Star Zero is coming to DS this year, but I doubt it will have much to do with Phantasy Star Portable on PSP.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

It's actually the best game for PSP so do get it, ignore this guy.

TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

Chrono Trigger.

It will make you a better person.

rwbojorquez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rwbojorquez
Member since 2003 • 1031 Posts

Try the legend of heroes for the psp. There are 3 games. I liked them.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I'm not sure, neither of them have anything particularly "amazing."

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Coolyfett

I think I will go with the Final Fantasy Tactics titles on both systems. I heard those are interesting. How are those two games related?

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cherokee_Jack

I think I will go with the Final Fantasy Tactics titles on both systems. I heard those are interesting. How are those two games related?

Coolyfett
The PSP version is a remake of the original Tactics on Playstation, and the DS game, A2: Grimoire of the Rift, is a sequel to Tactics Advance on the GBA. So the stories and such are probably quite different.
bubbleboyii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 bubbleboyii
Member since 2005 • 550 Posts

TWEWY, SMT: Devil Survivor and Knights in Nightmare.

You won't hear about the last much because of its unconventional merits and unique take on the genre, but it's really worth checking out... Especially for people who claimthe genre is sstagnating (they just need to stop playing mainstream JRPG's :|).

WAIW

Knights in the Nightmare is definitely recommended, but have some patience, because the tutorial will probably take some time to get through. Actually, a lot of time to get through. As far as PSP goes... I haven't finished the Star Ocean ports, but they seem alright so far. I'm going to start a little controversy here and say the Crisis Core is complete crap unless you're interested in FF7 backstory. The story itself was interesting, but gameplay is just terrible. The missions are all just monster killing, and everything can be defeated by swinging your sword and occasionally dodging. It's just not fun.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

PSP: Crisis Core SRPG: Final Fantasy Tactics

DS: The World Ends With You SRPG: Fire Emblem

if you have to choose which handheld has the RPGs you need, the DS may be a better fit

if you want RPGs that look more like pS2 games like Crisis Core, Monster Hunter then go for PSP

DS has more RPGs as a whole, in more genres it seems and more quality ones