The best Metal Gear Solid game (original release)? Rank them too

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The best Metal Gear Solid game (original release)? Rank them too (79 votes)

MGS 1 34%
MGS 2 20%
MGS 3 28%
MGS 4 18%

I'm going to keep this real simple and just include the original 4. For me, it's MGS 1, my favorite game of all time. There was nothing quite like it back then. For me, it had everything: great gameplay, story, characters, setting, boss fights, etc. A plot that kept you interested until the very end. And then you got ending bonuses depending what you did with Meryl, which gave incentive to play again. I really haven't enjoyed the other Metal Gears nearly as much. I just finished Ground Zeroes (lol it really does have an hour of gameplay) and I like it, but the story won't grab me the same as the original.

As for my ranking it's:

MGS 1
MGS 4
MGS 2
MGS 3

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

3 = 2 > 1 > PW > 4 > MG2 > PO > MG

@freedomfreak said:

Ground Zeroes is where this franchise needs to go, and it makes me excited for The Phantom Pain.

Definitely so. After playing GZ, I'm pretty much certain that TPP will be my favorite in the series.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib what?? u need a ps3 as well?? bro its ok, i know it must have taken courage to ask, i will send u one no problem. no need to tell me ur po box number ill just get it from @amazonangry

cool then he can have two ps3s

Time to hack the NSA! Power of teh Cell!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#53 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

2. Love them all

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By lostrib
@amazonangry said:

@lostrib: show your legacy box or something with name somewhere. Standard proving operation.

You work? I find that hard to believe

TA-DA!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

jake the dog

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 lostrib

@CrownKingArthur said:

jake the dog

yeah, it's from last months loot crate. The theme was Adventure

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Splinter Cell better. -5 to all of them.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 CrownKingArthur

@lostrib: a loot crate? what's that for?

my mrs has that same mouse.

that little ... looks like an amplifier. is that for singing?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lostrib

@CrownKingArthur said:

@lostrib: a loot crate? what's that for?

my mrs has that same mouse.

that little ... looks like an amplifier. is that for singing?

http://www.lootcrate.com/

Amp is to power the speakers which you can kind of see on the right behind my monitor

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  1. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence
  3. Metal Gear Solid
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 CrownKingArthur

@lostrib: ok so that's what a loot crate is.

shit, that's a cool little amp. it looks like it has a high build quality. did you go for that for any reason?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lostrib

@CrownKingArthur said:

@lostrib: ok so that's what a loot crate is.

shit, that's a cool little amp. it looks like it has a high build quality. did you go for that for any reason?

It's actually a pretty cheap amp. But it's well known as a good budget option for powering bookshelf speakers. It's a lepai T-Amp (http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI). I've had one start to fail on me after a year or so, but for 20 bucks it's not that big a deal

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

GAMEPLAY

1. Ground Zeroes
  2. MGS2
  3. MGS3
  4. Peace Walker
  5. MGS4
  6. MGS
  7. Portable Ops

STORY

1. MGS2
  2. MGS3
  3. MGS
  4. Porable Ops
  5. Peace Walker
  6. MGS4
  7. Ground Zeroes

(I would be willing to put Ground Zeroes story above MGS4, but there is just so little of it. Then again, the story in MGS4 is just that bad.)

OVERALL PACKAGE (twss)

1. MGS2 = MGS3
  2. Peace Walker
  3. MGS
  4. MGS4
  5. Ground Zeroes
  6. Portable Ops
Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Wiimotefan

Also a bit shocked at the vote results. Good on you SW.

MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS by only slight margins? That's about how the poll results would turn out in a core MGS forum. Only difference being that MGS4 would have almost no votes.

@uninspiredcup:

If only the series were more consistent.

Splinter Cell was alright.

Pandora Tomorrow was good.

Chaos Theory was excellent. Amazing single player and online modes. Right up there with the best of what MGS has to offer and even better in some ways.

Double Agent. Meh

Conviction was alright for an action game.

Have yet to play Blacklist, but I'll give it a try soon.

---

Now that the MGS series has basically assimilated the best aspects of SC while at the same time refining the best aspects of MGS and putting them into play in a highly systemic open world game, I'm not really seeing what SC has going for it anymore.

I really do hope Ubisoft can make SC something to get excited over again. Chaos Theory was 9 years ago. They have the funds, they have the talent and they've been working on plenty of large scale games in recent years. Hopefully Splinter Cell 7 will be the big turn around we've all been waiting for.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#65 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

MGS3>MGS2>MGS1>>>>>>>>>MGS4.

All of them are brilliant except for MGS4, which was good, but not up to par IMO.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

Mgs1- good, mgs3-not crap, mgs2-crap, mgs4-utter crap

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#67  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

The first game. Back then the long dialog moments and limited gameplay weren't as much of an issue. Mixed-multimedia in gaming was rather new and consumers more forgiving. Getting a cinematic experience of a mix of multimedia voice acting along with realtime rendered gameplay was something rather new. I mean, back in Sega CD days they just made movies you had to watch. As gaming at large evolved though MGS series didn't.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Long time fan of the series.

MGS1 comes first, srsly when that game released...incredible. Probably the best game of all time srs.

So MGS1 > (closely followed by) MGS3 >>>> MGS2 (still good but NO where near the level of the first or third) >>>>>MGS4 (Needed much more gameplay and less cinematics)

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Suppaman100

@lostrib said:
@amazonangry said:

@lostrib: show your legacy box or something with name somewhere. Standard proving operation.

TA-DA!

Enjoy man, you will not be dissapointed.

Btw, that collection is getting rare. Check ebay prices.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

3 for me was the best since we already knew big boss and i was curious about his background story and it delivered, dat ending.

That is my combo for my locker at Dah Country Clubz. LOL.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

LOL MGS. The game where story makes no sense at all and the worst gameplay and stupid characters and yet the stupid fanboys regard it as the masterpiece sor story, storytelling and gameplay.

I can bet my ass none of the fanboys can tell me the story of MGS as its stands now. There are so many loop holes. Hell they couldn't evfen tell the story of a single game. So convoluted it is. This series is the biggest joke in gaming. FACT!

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

LOL MGS. The game where story makes no sense at all and the worst gameplay and stupid characters and yet the stupid fanboys regard it as the masterpiece sor story, storytelling and gameplay.

I can bet my ass none of the fanboys can tell me the story of MGS as its stands now. There are so many loop holes. Hell they couldn't evfen tell the story of a single game. So convoluted it is. This series is the biggest joke in gaming. FACT!

Someone doesn't know what a fact is

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 zeeshanhaider

@seanmcloughlin:

Feel free to prove me wrong. Please explain to me the story of MGS without me ripping holes through it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lostrib

@Suppaman100 said:

@lostrib said:
@amazonangry said:

TA-DA!

Enjoy man, you will not be dissapointed.

Btw, that collection is getting rare. Check ebay prices.

Yeah, it was out of stock (i.e. expensive of hell from third party sellers) for a number of months. So when it popped up on Amazon about a month ago for regular price ($50), I jumped on it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By lostrib

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Feel free to prove me wrong. Please explain to me the story of MGS without me ripping holes through it.

...doesn't make what you said a Fact. It was an opinion.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@lostrib said:
@amazonangry said:

TA-DA!

@amazonangry lol owned

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Wiimotefan
@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

I'm pretty sure I could break down the main story in a couple of paragraphs. Of course going into detail would take pages, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sure it's convoluted, no getting around that. But if the guy can't make sense of the story from just one of the games I think that says more about himself than the series.

Personally, I don't find the story to be a masterpiece. I just find it enjoyable especially for a video game story. I do love the gameplay though.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#79 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Have yet to play 4, but I've played the first 3 and...

One was cool since it established everything, three was great since its story was just complex enough and the gameplay was a lot more open ended, and 2 was pretty meh for me. felt like a re skin of the first game in many ways and the plot was just too ridiculous and convoluted.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

2 kinda equal with 1

Although I think 3 has the best writing, 2 and 1 are a duo which have the most groundbreaking artistic relationship to the gamer (shit that had never been done before). Yeah, it's postmodernist philosophy which is ugh, but it's brilliantly done; the experience continues even after you reach the title screen following completing the game.

4 was still very good imo.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I've played MGS 1 - 3 in a marathon of sorts not to long ago, for the first time. MGS 1 is my favorite because it has the best balance between cutscenes and gameplay, my favorite soundtrack and my favorite bosses. I also feel that the gameplay has aged the best of these three, for the simple fact that it's the most simplistic, it's easy to get into, and the camera is a top down view which assures that it never gets in the way. The story is simple and to the point, sort of like a hybrid between 80s action flicks and japanese manga. I loved it.

On the other hand, MGS3 i feel has aged gameplay-wise, the worst. It's convoluted beyond measure, crippled by a poor framerate and a terrible camera. The story is the best tho.

MGS2.. i liked it. The framerate was solid, the plot was interesting, the gameplay was great and a pure joy to play. Tho i didn't enjoy any of the characters or how bland and boring the visuals where. Nor did i enjoy the ridiculously long cutscenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

2 >3>4>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

I put 2 on top because of how it completely changes the story of Metal Gear forever and makes it about the metaphors and messages more than the characters.

1 at the bottom because it wasn't a good game EVEN when it came out. Thief: The Dark Project came out a month after its release.

So it was thoroughly outclassed and outdated in every way. Remembered only because of the PS1.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By zeeshanhaider

@lostrib said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Nope it's a fact that the stories are downright ridiculous, doesn't make sense at all. The whole premise for a game doesn't make any sense at all. Nothing that you do/forced to do/ led to do/ or shown happened just or whatever you wanna call it just doesn't make sense at all. This is indeed a fact.

@Wiimotefan said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

I'm pretty sure I could break down the main story in a couple of paragraphs. Of course going into detail would take pages, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sure it's convoluted, no getting around that. But if the guy can't make sense of the story from just one of the games I think that says more about himself than the series.

Personally, I don't find the story to be a masterpiece. I just find it enjoyable especially for a video game story. I do love the gameplay though.

Seriously? You want me to give examples of stupid writing and nonsense characters of MGS. Should we start at MGS 3? The one most MGS fans consider the best in series? Please tell me what exactly happened in MGS 3 and why did it happen? CAUTION: I may use the dialogue or character personality or premise of game era to scrutinize your narration. Be careful my friend.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

well this is the internet:p.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Suppaman100

@faizanhd said:

2 >3>4>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

I put 2 on top because of how it completely changes the story of Metal Gear forever and makes it about the metaphors and messages more than the characters.

1 at the bottom because it wasn't a good game EVEN when it came out. Thief: The Dark Project came out a month after its release.

So it was thoroughly outclassed and outdated in every way. Remembered only because of the PS1.

You're probably the first I ever encountered to say that MGS1 is outclassed and outdated.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

@lostrib said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

@seanmcloughlin:

Nope it's a fact that the stories are downright ridiculous, doesn't make sense at all. The whole premise for a game doesn't make any sense at all. Nothing that you do/forced to do/ led to do/ or shown happened just or whatever you wanna call it just doesn't make sense at all. This is indeed a fact.

@Wiimotefan said:
@seanmcloughlin said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

Seriously? You want me to give examples of stupid writing and nonse characters of MGS. Should we start at MGS 3? The one most MGS fans consider the best in series? Please tell me what exactly happened in MGS 3 and why did it happen? CAUTION: I may use the dialogue or character personality or premise of game era to scrutinize your narration. Be careful my friend.

3 is not considered the best; it's between 1 and 2 from the fans of the series.

2 is meant to have weird writing for a reason.

This is Kojima's message with MGS2: http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

Enjoy.

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

Snake Eater was the best there ever was.Guns of Patriots on the other hand was the worst ever.Hollow.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#88 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

3>1>2>4

4 is a pile of shite compared to the rest

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#89 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

1. MGS4

2. MGS2

3. MGS1

4. MGS3

But I love all 4 of them so much so it doesn't really matter, the worst is like a 9.8/10 and the best (MGS4) is a 10/10 so yeah. Marginal differences at best.

I'm totally looking forward to Phantom Pain.

ChristianGmr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#90  Edited By ChristianGmr14
Member since 2014 • 157 Posts

Snake Eater remains my favorite to this day, some of the mechanics haven't aged well but it's still one of the best stealth games I have ever played. Plus the cold-war story line is simply powerful, Hideo Kojima at his best!

The rest would be MGS 4>MGS>MGS 2

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#91 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@Wiimotefan said:

Also a bit shocked at the vote results. Good on you SW.

MGS2 > MGS3 > MGS by only slight margins? That's about how the poll results would turn out in a core MGS forum. Only difference being that MGS4 would have almost no votes.

@uninspiredcup:

If only the series were more consistent.

Splinter Cell was alright.

Pandora Tomorrow was good.

Chaos Theory was excellent. Amazing single player and online modes. Right up there with the best of what MGS has to offer and even better in some ways.

Double Agent. Meh

Conviction was alright for an action game.

Have yet to play Blacklist, but I'll give it a try soon.

---

Now that the MGS series has basically assimilated the best aspects of SC while at the same time refining the best aspects of MGS and putting them into play in a highly systemic open world game, I'm not really seeing what SC has going for it anymore.

I really do hope Ubisoft can make SC something to get excited over again. Chaos Theory was 9 years ago. They have the funds, they have the talent and they've been working on plenty of large scale games in recent years. Hopefully Splinter Cell 7 will be the big turn around we've all been waiting for.

Blacklist is surprisingly great. Story-wise, pish. But gameplay wise, it sort of rocks, abit.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 zeeshanhaider

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

3 is not considered the best; it's between 1 and 2 from the fans of the series.

2 is meant to have weird writing for a reason.

This is Kojima's message with MGS2: http://www.deltaheadtranslation.com/MGS2/DOTM_TOC.htm

Enjoy.

Wow....a crazy MGS fanboy going out of his way to defend his false god Kojima by writing 10 pages of shit which still doesn't make any sense and arrive at the conclusion: The key to MGS2 isn’t its script or its narrative, but the form that both ultimately serve. In his defense all he did was make comparison to MGS 1 but never at once did he try to make sense of the story on its own that's presented in the game or how the **** does it fit into the narrative.

Fact is none of the MGS games make sense. And the way I see it, most people seems to like MGS 3 way more than the rest.

allthatdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 allthatdown
Member since 2008 • 1229 Posts

I only got around to playing 1-4 a couple of months ago when I bought the Legacy Collection. I still thought the first was the best game because it had the best boss fights, fewer and shorter cutscenes and possessed the best narrative of the 4. 2 and 4's narrative I found to be too convoluted.

So my list would be

I also want to shout out to Peacewalker, it's a worthy addition to the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@faizanhd said:

2 >3>4>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

You're probably the first I ever encountered to say that MGS1 is outclassed and outdated.

Because I wasn't raised by an N64 or PS1.

I got to use a monster of a machine used by a professional( father).

Remember, I'm comparing it to Thief: TDP.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Suppaman100

@faizanhd said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@faizanhd said:

2 >3>4>>>>>>>>>>>> 1

Because I wasn't raised by an N64 or PS1.

I got to use a monster of a machine used by a professional( father).

Remember, I'm comparing it to Thief: TDP.

I also played Thief when it came out. Although both are not really comparable, MGS is in another league imo.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I was always partial to Metal Gear Solidz: Sons of the Darpa Chief Guz o' Patriots Liquid Raiden

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I have thoroughly enjoyed every entry in the series (to include Portable Ops 1 & 2, PW) but I would put MGS 3 at the top of the list.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

2 > 3 > Peace Walker> Portable Ops Plus > Portable Ops > 4 >>>>>> 1

Top two can switch in order; I liked 3's story more, but I liked 2's gameplay and setting more.

Peace Walker is pretty fun but man is that game simplistic in level design and **** that button mashing shit. Portable Ops Plus was fun back in the day and I'm enjoying it more than I did Portable Ops. Only played an hour of 4, but it was better than 1 easily. The latter is dated and sections that make it just not fun to play.

Getting Ground Zeroes soon.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#99 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Suppaman100: Thief is a much, much better stealth game. The AI is very reactive, actual stealth is not a suggestion, but a necessity. In MGS, on all but the highest of difficulties you can typically fight your way out of a jam fairly easily. In Thief, fighting more than one enemy (two if you're really good) is a death sentence.

I'm talking Thief 1 here, BTW, not the remake.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

2, 1, 3, 4

2 was my fav. Just the mind **** last 5% of the game aboard arsenal gear is one of my most thought about and memorable moments ever.

1 was amazing for the time and still holds up.

3 dat ending. For videogame standards it was Shakespearean.

4 was also great but too much fan service. 1 and 2 were stores kojima wanted to tell but after that he worried too much about what the fans would want.