The amount of shovelware on Steam is astounding

• 100 results
#1 Posted by Juub1990 (8633 posts) -

Just bought a stupid lucky deal for 45$. Had a slim chance of winning several good games but only ended up winning PUBG which I'm happy enough about.

The rest of the 14? Shovelware. On one end Valve's liberal stance on games allow many less known developers to flourish but on the other end it also allows lazy cash grabers to release shoddy products and make a quick profit.

Thoughts on the state of shovelware on Steam?

#2 Posted by Howmakewood (5927 posts) -

There's ridiculous amounts of it, way more than people think as it doesn't really pop out unless you look for it

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31202 posts) -

You need to research what games are good and buy them based on sources and elements outside of steam.

Searching for games on steam, browsing new releases or browsing upcoming releases can be disheartening.

The situation has gotten so bad that good games get absolutely avalanched under bad releases, making it harder for honest devs to sell their games on steam.

Valve needs to get a grip.

#4 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:

Just bought a stupid lucky deal for 45$. Had a slim chance of winning several good games but only ended up winning PUBG which I'm happy enough about.

The rest of the 14? Shovelware. On one end Valve's liberal stance on games allow many less known developers to flourish but on the other end it also allows lazy cash grabers to release shoddy products and make a quick profit.

Thoughts on the state of shovelware on Steam?

Dont buy them, simple as that !

#5 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

You need to research what games are good and buy them based on sources and elements outside of steam.

Searching for games on steam, browsing new releases or browsing upcoming releases can be disheartening.

The situation has gotten so bad that good games get absolutely avalanched under bad releases, making it harder for honest devs to sell their games on steam.

Valve needs to get a grip.

I disagree. I think vastly majority of good games getting way more props in STEAM than in any other platform or media and thats a great thing.

Shovelware is easily avoidable.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31202 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

So why doesn't Valve do anything about it ?

#7 Posted by commander (15378 posts) -

@Juub1990: Isn't PUBG only 30 bucks?

#8 Posted by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@AzatiS said:

They tried with Greenlight to let community have a say for years. Isnt that something ?

#9 Edited by PinkAnimal (2380 posts) -

@AzatiS said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@AzatiS said:

They tried with Greenlight to let community have a say for years. Isnt that something ?

Actually they're discontinuing Greenlight now I believe because of the amount of shovelware it was producing. I think they're going to replace it with something else.

#10 Posted by madrocketeer (6603 posts) -
@pinkanimal said:
@AzatiS said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@AzatiS said:

Actually they're discontinuing Greenlight now I believe because of the amount of shovelware it was producing. I think they're going to replace it with something else.

They did. It's Steam Direct now. You pay them $100, they test the game for a bit, then stick them on their store. Hasn't done them much good so far.

That said, there was this one-time Greenlight "open doors" policy for all games that was on Greenlight at the time of it's closure, so we could just be seeing the effect of that.

#11 Posted by dxmcat (2672 posts) -

"So I was trying to buy apple juice at the store but I bought this strang brand called Clorox. It didnt taste very good."

Basically the logic of this argument. Its the 21st century. Do some homework before you buy.

#12 Posted by thehig1 (7302 posts) -

@dxmcat: spot on.

#13 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Steam is nothing but Shovelware. That's why I try to stay away. It's tiring getting buried in the shit all the time.

#14 Posted by MrYaotubo (2880 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@AzatiS said:

Because it's easily avoidable.

#15 Posted by SecretPolice (35330 posts) -

It's not called a Steaming Pile for nuttin ya know. lol :P

#16 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

That's like saying "the amount of bad TV shows and movies is astounding" , which is very true, but that doesn't prevent people from the enjoying the stuff they really like. As others have mentioned you need to do research, etc. And Steam offers refunds right? I don't see the big deal.

Now I do agree that there should be some standards, if anyone can just quickly assemble a piece of code and try to sell it in the hopes of making quick bucks, it's not a good situation. I don't know the kind of QA system Steam has, and well I don't talk about things I'm not very familiar with so that's all I have to say basically.

#17 Posted by DaVillain- (36919 posts) -

The main reason there's so much Shovelware on Steam is because of their failed policies with regards to Greenlight.

Any game can get through greenlight by promising a free game key to anyone who upvotes it, quality be damned. So, shady developers making games in 1 week and then try to get it through greenlight to prey on unknowing customers. The only way to fix it is to institute manual vetting of games before they go on Greenlight to make sure they aren't unplayable or total garbage. Unfortunately Steam likes to be totally hands off to the detriment of customers/legitimate developers. They have even talked about removing Greenlight and letting anyone go on Steam. That would really ruin Steam forever.

Another potential solution is removing any game that has an overall "negative" rating from Steam after a certain amount of time.

#18 Edited by KungfuKitten (26639 posts) -

The problem being, that it's an avalanche of games. Can Steam curate a hundred games a day, even if they wanted to?

^ @davillain- Removing a game after a period of sustaining a certain percentage of negative reviews could be a solution yes. Interesting. It would require a way to prevent a developer from making a thousand accounts to keep their review rating positive.

#19 Edited by AzatiS (14969 posts) -

@iandizion713 said:

Steam is nothing but Shovelware. That's why I try to stay away. It's tiring getting buried in the shit all the time.

Talks, a fan of Wii. Double standards in effect.

Fan of Steam here since forever. How is that im not affected by stores shovelware at all for more than a decade now and you crying about it like its something you cant avoid ? For sure you were avoiding Wiis shovelware and you didnt mind that much.

If Steam was Nintendos service i bet you wouldnt be tired getting buried in shit.

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (28138 posts) -

This is what happens when there's no quality control. The trash is so easily produced that it just floods the marketplace and buries the quality games.

#21 Posted by freedomfreak (51202 posts) -

Oh yeah, it makes browsing the store a hassle.

#22 Posted by enzyme36 (4223 posts) -

I have to log in anonimously to get banners for all the new games...

If I try to look at the storepage from my account .... all I get are early access, NES graphic pixel games splattered across the front page because I bought and played an indie game before.

#23 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9732 posts) -

I never see the shovelware on my home page. Maybe it's a problem if you are browsing the Steam store looking for a game you want to play. I generally don't even go to the store page unless I have a specific game I'm looking at buying anyway, though.

#24 Posted by Litchie (24036 posts) -

As far as I know, it's not a problem unless you buy stupid mystery bundles.

#25 Posted by Juub1990 (8633 posts) -

@dxmcat said:

"So I was trying to buy apple juice at the store but I bought this strang brand called Clorox. It didnt taste very good."

Basically the logic of this argument. Its the 21st century. Do some homework before you buy.

Are you legit retarded? I didn't go out of my way to buy these games. It was a random selection of 15 games and the fact I only got garbage highlights the fact Steam is full of crap.

Damn idiot.

#26 Posted by Litchie (24036 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@dxmcat said:

Are you legit retarded? I didn't go out of my way to buy these games. It was a random selection of 15 games and the fact I only got garbage highlights the fact Steam is full of crap.

Damn idiot.

You just called someone an idiot after you bought a mystery bundle from a service filled with crap.

#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (33668 posts) -

They're paying Jim Sterlings rent.

#28 Edited by Juub1990 (8633 posts) -
@Litchie said:

You just called someone an idiot after you bought a mystery bundle from a service filled with crap.

And I'm happy enough about what I got so what's the problem here? I knew I wouldn't be getting 15 good games out of 15.

@commander It's in Canadian $ which is 35$ US. Also got Hyper Space Invader II: Pixel Edition which has got a Very Positive rating after 291 reviews. Another game called Glass Masquerade which also has a Very Positive rating after 250 reviews. They're both 4$ so I suppose adding them up with PUBG, the 45$ wasn't so horribly spent but eh, still didn't expect to get so many trash-tier games lol.

#29 Edited by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

One of the worst things ever, trying to dig through that shit to find a fresh new game. Please fix Steam, shit is a joke.

#30 Posted by Wasdie (53592 posts) -

I ignore it. Problem solved.

#31 Posted by demi0227_basic (1940 posts) -

The only thing I find disturbing is all the hentai type crap that floods the store. During the Steam Summer sale, at least. It blew my mind how many lonely little losers that can't get laid there must be out there. Guys need to hit the gym a little more during their 20+hrs a week gaming, and get some social skills. Then they can have a real relationship.

Haha...anyways...yeah. Lot's of tiny little baby games on steam.

#32 Posted by Juub1990 (8633 posts) -

@demi0227_basic said:

The only thing I find disturbing is all the hentai type crap that floods the store. During the Steam Summer sale, at least. It blew my mind how many lonely little losers that can't get laid there must be out there. Guys need to hit the gym a little more during their 20+hrs a week gaming, and get some social skills. Then they can have a real relationship.

I don't know if that's ironic coming from someone who posts on System Wars lol.

#33 Posted by demi0227_basic (1940 posts) -

@Juub1990: Is it? Why?

#34 Posted by Litchie (24036 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@Litchie said:

And I'm happy enough about what I got so what's the problem here? I knew I wouldn't be getting 15 good games out of 15.

It was just that you're complaining about Steam being filled with crap right after you decided to buy crap.

I'd understand complaining about said crap if you said something about all games you're interested in gets lost and never noticed by you from being drowned by all the crap there is, and Steam recommending you 500 ugly games since you played 1 ugly game before.

#35 Edited by Juub1990 (8633 posts) -
@Litchie said:

It was just that you're complaining about Steam being filled with crap right after you decided to buy crap.

I'd understand complaining about said crap if you said something about all games you're interested in gets lost and never noticed by you from being drowned by all the crap there is, and Steam recommending you 500 ugly games since you played 1 ugly game before.

I didn't decide to buy crap. I paid 45$ for a selection of random games. I didn't even know what I would get but the fact I mostly got garbage made me realize Steam is truly in a sorry state. If I had gotten 5 decent games I wouldn't even have made this thread but 12/15 games I got were really bottom of the barrel garbage. One of them doesn't even appear to be finished lol.

#37 Posted by Litchie (24036 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@Litchie said:

I didn't decide to buy crap. I paid 45$ for a selection of random games. I didn't even know what I would get but the fact I mostly got garbage made me realize Steam is truly in a sorry state. If I had gotten 5 decent games I wouldn't even have made this thread but 12/15 games I got were really bottom of the barrel garbage. One of them doesn't even appear to be finished lol.

That does suck. But lesson learnt, right? :P There should be way more crap on Steam than real good games, so you getting 12 crappy games out of 15 games isn't exactly bad.

And yeah, selling games that aren't finished is really fucking shit.

#38 Posted by with_teeth26 (9552 posts) -

yea its terrible, I bet some legitimately good games get lost among all the crap that ends up on that service.

#39 Posted by appariti0n (2783 posts) -

Agreed, I've viewed and clicked "not interested" on at least 600 games in my discovery queue over the years.

TBH, all we really need are better filters for custom queue. If I could filter out games that have shitty reviews, it would be a lot easier.

#40 Posted by uninspiredcup (33668 posts) -

@appariti0n said:

Agreed, I've viewed and clicked "not interested" on at least 600 games in my discovery queue over the years.

TBH, all we really need are better filters for custom queue. If I could filter out games that have shitty reviews, it would be a lot easier.

They had a filter to hide dlc, which they seemed to have removed.

#41 Posted by osan0 (15439 posts) -

just dont buy it.

its vitally important that developers can take a crack at getting a game released and the PC is the platform where they learn their trade at the end of the day. the alternative is for valve to effectively police the PC and no one will come out of that a winner.

#42 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25376 posts) -

Yeah, there's a ton. Luckily, we aren't stuck back in the 90s, where gameplay videos were incredibly rare. Now, you can just pop on over to Youtube and someone has a video of gameplay up, and then you can make an executive decision. I could only imagine having to go through all of these without any gameplay footage to go off of. We also have the 2 hour refund window, so that's nice, too.

#43 Posted by DrLostRib (4994 posts) -

Doesn't bother me.

#44 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25376 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:
@Litchie said:

That's called gambling. They do that because most of the stuff they can give away is, indeed, crap. You can get some decent stuff, so it's not like it's that bad.

If they only had good games on there that were worth some money, there's no way you would be able to buy packs of 20 random games.

So, you either take it or leave it. :P

#45 Posted by GarGx1 (10928 posts) -

Steam refunds. Buy a game if it's crap you'll know pretty quickly, get a refund, simples! Other than don't buy crap, it's not that hard to spot a turkey.

#46 Posted by jg4xchamp (61616 posts) -

Valve can do a significantly better job with the store. But Valve shouldn't say no to any of the games being produced.

It's on the consumer to do a bit of research and I have no little to no sympathy for gamers of all things. Between google, twitch, youtube, metacritic, opencritic, neogaf, reddit, so many individual discords for certain genres of video games, you can wade through the shit to find the gems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#47 Edited by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -

@demi0227_basic said:

That's some great fetish shaming.... makes you look like a real man!

#48 Posted by Techhog89 (3745 posts) -

The amount of shovelware on PS2, PS3, and PS4 combined is astounding

#49 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36340 posts) -

Dude, it's successful, of course it's going to be overflowing with shovelware. Even the ever so worshipped PS1 and PS2 had it.

Man, I remember the days where nobody cared when the top selling console had shovelware galore and DIDN'T slam the console (or in this case, digital distribution platform) for it, those days died with the Wii.

#50 Edited by demi0227_basic (1940 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:
@demi0227_basic said:

That's some great fetish shaming.... makes you look like a real man!

Oh did I hurt your feelings? Sorry guy. I wasn't aware I was fetish "shaming." I was making fun of horny guys that jerk it to weird japanese game porn. I hope that makes you feel better. Lighten up and get a sense of humor. If that describes you, fine. I'm not "shaming" you. I'm just making fun of you. Or you don't get those games. In which case I'm making fun of people that aren't you. Either way, relax.