Thanks to hackers, the 360's HD-DVD add-on is DOOMED. TLHBO?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
the 360's HD-DVD drive is DOOMED.

A bit dramatic, but perhaps not far from the truth. Why do I say this? You guys know I'm not big into prognostication. I have no proof. Only conjecture and anecdotal evidence that supposes it so. But it's looking more and more real. Thought I'd comment here and get thoughts:

What is my basis?
The 360's HD-DVD solution is one a quality one (one that I've invested in), but it is dependent upon HD-DVD's basic copyright protections not being hacked for awhile. Why? Because the player (or 360 console) do not support HDCP. A decent amount of time without being hacked would, in turn, mean less pressure for the industry to feel like they need to implement HDCP (HD copy protection) tokens to further attempt to protect their content from piracy.

Now it all has changed. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD have been fully cracked (link). Industry am cry.

Now let's think: If you were an industry business, who's priority was to protect your content from frivilous copy and the loss of billions of dollars associated, would you not ramp up the timeline for HDCP's implementation? Of course you would. You can bet your sweet *ss that they're in board rooms right now trying to figure out how soon they can reasonably do it.

How does this impact 360 owners?
360's HD-DVD setup does not support HDCP. In fact, HDCP is only supported via digital outputs, of which (HDMI, DVI) the 360 has none. So when HD-DVD movies are launched that require the HDCP token to be sent, the movies will fail to pass the test, and the resolution will be downgraded from 1080p/i or 720p all the way down to 480p (or slightly better). Worst part is, I don't really see a way around it. The 360 was designed and released before the HDCP details were finalized, so the hardware probably isn't compatible with it at its core. Perhaps the new 360's (the HDMI systems) coming in the summer can handle the job...but I don't see how today's can.

Ultimately, the 360 add-on may become worthless for all movies that have HDCP enabled on them.

Couldn't this affect PS3 owners too?
Damn straight. Blu-Ray has been cracked too, meaning all movie studios will probably start their implementation of HDCP earlier than expected. Which means if you're not using you PS3's HDMI connection, prepare for your movies to be downsampled to 480p. PS3 owners are in a slightly better position because at least they won't have to go out and buy a whole new system. Still, TCHBO too. Just to a lesser extent.

What about the HDTV owners that don't have an HDMI port?
Sorry for ya. Thank the hackers. They forced the industries hand.

TLMBO. Discuss (or clarify for me if I'm wrong).
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
Do lemmings play games or watch movies?
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
Damn! Now I can't watch movies.......o wait I still gota a DVD, which is the thing to own.
daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts

thanks for the info!

did you know that you dont need a hd-dvd add on to view film in hd?

all you need to do is download wmv's at either 720p, 1080i or even 1080p and the 360 alone with its normal drive plays them..ive done it!

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
If HDDVD fails M$ loses an addon, if blu-ray fails PS3 is preety much doomed.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]Damn! Now I can't watch movies.......o wait I still gota a DVD, which is the thing to own.

that, my friend is quite true. DVD ftw.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]Damn! Now I can't watch movies.......o wait I still gota a DVD, which is the thing to own.

I watch a lot of movies on my 360. it's really the center of my entertainment experience. Media Center, all that stuff.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
I predict a lot of people trying their best to seperate gaming and movies as much as possible. What, you don't watch movies too? You don't like high definition?
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
I've seen threads about the formats, and they've all been locked in SW. This one could get locked.
flipknoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flipknoc
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
it doesn't help HD-DVD either when MS reps themselves call it the next betamax.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]Damn! Now I can't watch movies.......o wait I still gota a DVD, which is the thing to own.

I watch a lot of movies on my 360. it's really the center of my entertainment experience. Media Center, all that stuff.

me too its the only dvd i have.................and i played back up >_> dvds on it. >_> >>blue ray and HDDVD, just remember, once Blue ray and HDDVD get really che ap, a new media will be out which will pretty much dominate them both. Atleast thast what it hink
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts

it doesn't help HD-DVD either when MS reps themselves call it the next betamax.flipknoc

Wrong, he basically said it could be the next Betamax.

ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
Chances are by the time HD really kicks in so will HDMI-enabled TVs, IMO. This really doesn't effect the core gamers anyways.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
I care not for either format, DVD will most likely to continue to domanate them both. I dont think consumers are ready to change so soon after DVD becmoing the standard.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"][QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]Damn! Now I can't watch movies.......o wait I still gota a DVD, which is the thing to own.

me too its the only dvd i have.................and i played back up >_> dvds on it. >_> >>blue ray and HDDVD, just remember, once Blue ray and HDDVD get really che ap, a new media will be out which will pretty much dominate them both. Atleast thast what it hink

I own all 3. DVD is good enough on my HDTV, to be honest.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dreams-Visions
Chances are by the time HD really kicks in so will HDMI-enabled TVs, IMO. This really doesn't effect the core gamers anyways.ihatebugers
it's really kicking in now. I wonder if we could see a move from the industry as early as next year.
2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
The xbox360 outputs digitally, it's a custom output but it's digital, same with the original xbox, basically all you'd need is a x360 to hdmi cable, or x360 to dvi cable, though that can be solved by getting a x360 to vga cable, and putting a vga to dvi block on that.
Avatar image for phoenixan_akrau
phoenixan_akrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 phoenixan_akrau
Member since 2005 • 401 Posts
The add-on seems like the Sega CD to me anyways...