Test Drive or Power Drift which IP will be more relevant for Xbox Scarlett/Playstation 5's library of racing games?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) 6 days, 12 hours ago

Poll: Test Drive or Power Drift which IP will be more relevant for Xbox Scarlett/Playstation 5's library of racing games? (6 votes)

Test Drive (Kylotonn) 83%
Power Drive (Sega) 17%

Hello there racers in System Wars.

Time for another odd question in between 2 different type of racing games.

Here are the 2 arcade style racing game IPs: Test Drive (Kylotonn) and Power Drift (Sega), both doesn't seem to have a new installment for ages.

What's the difference in between these 2?

In Test Drive series, this racing game allows players to virtually test drive or purchase a high performance sports car to race against opponents while dodging traffic in street racing.
This franchise's previous owner was Atari, until in late 2016, BigBen Interactive purchased the rights and in 2018, Kylotonn was rumoured that they're working on the next installment.

In Power Drift, this racing game featuring cartoon looking characters driving on their buggies with open cockpit, they race & drift on race tracks with slopes and ramps as they cross to the finish line first.

So which IP you prefer to see it rebooted as you think it will be more relevant for Xbox Scarlett/Playstation 5's library of racing games?

#1 Edited by BassMan (10520 posts) -

I have never even heard of Power Drift before. So, it is irrelevant and won't be making any comeback next-gen. I have enjoyed the Test Drive games over the years and wouldn't mind another.

#2 Edited by Guy_Brohski (1960 posts) -

Power Drift is the grandaddy of kart racers, and the first racing game to feature fully realized courses with bridges and intertwining tracks at a fast framerate.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (37412 posts) -

I'll go with Test Drive only because my first game was Test Drive Unlimited 2 as you can tell, I didn't discover Test Drive series until much later and as for Power Drift, I only played the Arcade version at Dave & Busters (AKA Chuck E' Cheese for Adults) like 9 years ago and for an old game like Power Drift, Test Drive has way better chance making a comeback to PS5/Xbox Scarlet cause the name is more known to the public much like Need for Speed is.

#4 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -
@Guy_Brohski said:

Power Drift is the grandaddy of kart racers, and the first racing game to feature fully realized courses with bridges and intertwining tracks at a fast framerate.

Wait I thought Mario Kart was the one who started the sub-genre: kart racers, because in most kart racers the players can pick up items to attack their opponents.

But yet Power Drift's vehicles doesn't even look like Go-Karts to me plus players cannot attack their opponents.

#5 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -

@davillain-: I hope Kylotonn will do well with Test Drive series and better not to ruin it.

The last Test Drive in the series was called Ferrari Racing Legends by Slightly Mad Studios which has been criticised for being too difficult plus the driving model is exactly same as Need For Speed Shift 1 & 2.

#6 Posted by DaVillain- (37412 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

@davillain-: I hope Kylotonn will do well with Test Drive series and better not to ruin it.

The last Test Drive in the series was called Ferrari Racing Legends by Slightly Mad Studios which has been criticised for being too difficult plus the driving model is exactly same as Need For Speed Shift 1 & 2.

You know, I forgot all about Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends until you brought it up now. Looking at Steam page, it's only $20 at this moment and so with that, I'll add it to my wishlist when it's on sale. And I happened to be a fan of Need for Speed and was totally cool with Shift 1/2 :)

Oh and I'm sure Klyotonn will do justice with Test Drive....I hope.

#7 Posted by Ant_17 (12695 posts) -

Test Drive Off Road was my favorite game, but i don't think the series can come back.

#8 Edited by Guy_Brohski (1960 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Dude, Powerdrift's vehicles are definitely karts. Just watch any Youtube playthrough of the arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast version of the game. It reminds me of the vehicles in Superkart racing series. Even without powerups, that game is surely the definition of "kart racer".

*Edit

The Powerdrift Wiki page lists the game's genre as "kart racing". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Drift

#9 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1616 posts) -

@Guy_Brohski:

Loading Video...

Hmmmm....... I guess you're talking about this game.

Just like how Sonic Drift is a kart racer but without powerups.

#10 Posted by Guy_Brohski (1960 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: I was actually referring to the actual sport called Superkarts..