Ten Years of Halo: What Bungie Did Right and What Bungie Did Wrong (1up)

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#51 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Same guy who wrote that Quarter to three review? Fail.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#52 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]What are you guys even talking about? What the f*ck do any of those titles even mean, besides Fall of Reach. That extended universe is so ga...lame.

I don't like it much either. I still stand by the idea that Master Chief is the only remaining spartan alive. Halo 4, 5, and 6 saying otherwise be damned.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"] I've got a backlog of Halo books to read, but I dunno if I wanna read 'em coz I just don't like bad prose. A lot of the novels felt like the written version of Bungie level story telling. I might try again. I'll start with Ghosts of Onyx and then I have Contact Harvest. I wanna try Joseph Staten, coz he wrote the original Halo game pretty well in my opinion.

Ghosts of Onyx is so good. Probably my favorite Halo book. Well, that or Fall of Reach. I haven't read Contact Harvest, though. And I'd recommend staying away from Cole Protocol. It's just not interesting.

They made a book out of a backstory's plot device? :?

I don't think it has much to do with the actual Cole Protocol, but it's a boring book nonetheless.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#54 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Same guy who wrote that Quarter to three review? Fail.Stevo_the_gamer

Wait.... it's THAT GUY? Man, that dude's Halo 4 review was a joke.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Same guy who wrote that Quarter to three review? Fail.NeonNinja

Wait.... it's THAT GUY? Man, that dude's Halo 4 review was a joke.

Yeah. I did say that in the OP, you know.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

Disagree with all the "bad" characters they mentioned. How the hell was Guilty Spark derivative? None of the characters were bad, they just wern't given enough screentime, as is customary with any Halo game.

Though I'm having mixed feelings with how they've handled MC's "expanded character" in Halo 4. One one side I like hearing him speak (because Steve Downes has an awesome voice), but on the other, he didn't really say much of anything. Although he does utter the word "Cortana!" about seven dozen times. When he did speak, he never said anything particularly remarkable. I'm not expecting him to be a poet, but write a few decent one liners for him, at least.

Actually, I just had a look at the whole article and I have to say, I don't agree with any of it. :lol: Bungie didn't "do DLC wrong". The SP campaigns always wrapped up, it would have been stupid to duct tape a missing chapter or something to that. So what's the next avenue for DLC? Map packs, naturally. Not sure what his problem is.

NeonNinja

The author did a poor job with a lot of it.

I will say though that the DLC was done wrong in terms of pricing. $10 for three maps or whatever it came out to was a ripoff.

And storytelling could have been handled better on the whole, but yeah, this is a pretty poor article.

Agreed, but to be fair, that was probably MS breathing down their necks.

They had no problem giving away the numerous Halo 2 map packs for free. Different times, I know, they had originally slapped a price on them, but then removed them after the first month(?).

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yeah I disagree with anything where they say they didn't tell the story right...I loved halo's story it was good enough that it made me go out and buy the halo books which expand the universe and story even more.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Oh yeah, and also, I like the Chief as a silent character. Dammit he is so annoying in Halo 4 when he constantly yaps to Cortana. Inane dialogue is not character development.FrozenLiquid

I've enjoyed his banter so far from the little I've played. It sounds natural now. Before Chiefs lack of concern to anything seemed overly Rambo

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

yeah I disagree with anything where they say they didn't tell the story right...I loved halo's story it was good enough that it made me go out and buy the halo books which expand the universe and story even more.

WilliamRLBaker

You probablyloved the potential the story had. Just stepping out of the crashed lifeboat on the second level inspired awe. ungie never really got across the narrative well in a traditional sense. It was told visually a lot of the time.

I remember not having a f*cking notion what was goign on in Halo:CE.

You're a big green robot, aliens don't like you, you crash on a ring world, drive around in a jeep with your little blue friend, blow up some stuff, walk in grey rooms, find more aliens that don't like you and want to eat you, run away from them and then blow up the ship that you were originally on. Fly away somewhere.

I had to play it a couple more times to clinch what the actual premise was. Didn't stop me loving the story anyway, simply because of how brutally strong it was/could have been. Stroytelling has always been Nungie's weakpopint. They improved a little with time, but the lore kept getting more and more convoluted. Which isn't their fault really. Halo CE was meant to end the "series". Then Halo 2 was. 7 years later and we have like 7 Halo games.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#60 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="catfishmoon23"]

To be fair, the second book in the "Kilo-five" trilogy seems to have garnered a much better reputation.

I can't vouch for it because I'm still reading Glasslands, which definitely does have flaws, but is still enjoyable enough to read. Really though, I'm trudging throught so I can start on the Thursday War.

DarkLink77
I've got a backlog of Halo books to read, but I dunno if I wanna read 'em coz I just don't like bad prose. A lot of the novels felt like the written version of Bungie level story telling. I might try again. I'll start with Ghosts of Onyx and then I have Contact Harvest. I wanna try Joseph Staten, coz he wrote the original Halo game pretty well in my opinion.

Ghosts of Onyx is so good. Probably my favorite Halo book. Well, that or Fall of Reach. I haven't read Contact Harvest, though. And I'd recommend staying away from Cole Protocol. It's just not interesting.

I'll need to check that out as well. Also, Halo Evolutions isn't so bad..
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

balfe1990

You probablyloved the potential the story had. Just stepping out of the crashed lifeboat on the second level inspired awe. ungie never really got across the narrative well in a traditional sense. It was told visually a lot of the time.

I remember not having a f*cking notion what was goign on in Halo:CE.

You're a big green robot, aliens don't like you, you crash on a ring world, drive around in a jeep with your little blue friend, blow up some stuff, walk in grey rooms, find more aliens that don't like you and want to eat you, run away from them and then blow up the ship that you were originally on. Fly away somewhere.

I had to play it a couple more times to clinch what the actual premise was. Didn't stop me loving the story anyway, simply because of how brutally strong it was/could have been. Stroytelling has always been Nungie's weakpopint. They improved a little with time, but the lore kept getting more and more convoluted. Which isn't their fault really. Halo CE was meant to end the "series". Then Halo 2 was. 7 years later and we have like 7 Halo games.

I don't remember the story in Combat Evolved being hard to understand at all. You're at war, you've run away from a big battle, the enemy is chasing you, you're a super-soldier, and you have to protect this AI because if the enemy captures her they'll learn where Earth is. You crash land on this ring, and then all hell breaks loose.

You can level a lot of criticism against Bungie in terms of storytelling (most of which I think is unjustified because you don't need all of the series backstory to enjoy the story in the games, and it's really not that complicated or poorly portrayed), but poor storytelling in Combat Evolved is not one of them. It's arguably one of the best games in that regard.

I think they always wanted to make Halo 2, though. I think CE's ending made that pretty obvious. Halo 3 and beyond? Not so much. Though they were noticably more excited when freed from the constraints of the Chief in ODST and Reach, and I think the stories in those games improved significantly because of that.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Reach's story sucked. ODST was the most interesting on that side of the game because of how they decided to tell it.
GamerZem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 GamerZem
Member since 2012 • 526 Posts

Bungie did a hell of a job making Halo games.

343 just came along and perfected what Bungie had started.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

I disagree with his hate for MC's character. I think the silence suits him well. It make him seem like a disturbed veteran who's seen alot of things and has a troubled past, and has a heart of iron. Although in Halo 4 he talks too much. He was the best in 2 and 3.

Agree with the arbiter. The elites are the coolest fictional characters ever. They sound epic, they are super intelligent and wise, they talk like medieval knights, and have zealot-like views. I was psyched when I could play as the arbiter in halo 2.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#65 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
Reach's story sucked. ODST was the most interesting on that side of the game because of how they decided to tell it.jg4xchamp
Reach really wasn't a story anyone needed to tell. It was just interesting to if the opportunity came up. In my opinion, it worked best as a reason for the Pillar of Autumn to jump randomly into space and discover an ancient ring world. Anything more than that and well...... Halo: Reach. Honestly, they could've made a story about Reach absolutely amazing, but it had to be the right place in the timeline. You know what would have been the perfect set up for a trip to reach? Halo 2. You get all the epic Covenant apocalypse setting without jumping the gun to Earth until Halo 3.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm curious to hear what Mac users from back then think of Bungie now. There's bound to be some bad blood still.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#67 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Some good points. When I think of what I love about Halo it's the music and the giant, epic levels. The weapons are awesome as well, and the gameplay has that awesome floaty feel to it. Like everything is effortless for Chief.

Bungie was always industry leading at their feature set. Vehicles, online, splitscreen, co-op sp, forge, theater, firefight, bungie.net. Come on. So much goodness to be had in a Halo game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
what they did wrong was trying to make a PS3 game... while many companies years back went through the learning curve of catering to the Cell's special needs in terms of cost and resources just to get functioning ports, Bungie starting from scratch so late in the game that it'll be a miracle if their new game published under Activision will even make it to current gen systems before the Xbox 720 and PS4 release, they should just switch platforms to next gen systems already so that they've a more impressive game to debut or people are so going to be over them when next gen titles effortlessly outshine, then nobody will want to publish a Bungie game and they'll have to crawl back to MS and beg for forgiveness and a second chance