Technology Behind Star Citizen and Squadron 42 Explained; Digital Foundry.

• 86 results
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15142 Posts

Star Citizen and Squadron 42 share same technology. The latter is over 15 hours long single player game set in Star Citizen universe ready to enter beta later this year and probably release in its entirety the next year. Star Citizen itself will follow couple of years afterwards. Sq42 will get two direct sequels called Behind Enemy Lines and [Not titled yet]. Will feature branching narrative and cutting edge technology that's finally coming together, some of which was seen in incredibly impressive 1 hour of gameplay footage from 1.5 years ago.

This first part of the video series focuses on the scale. It's a good watch for any avid gamer whether he is interested in the title and PC or not. It shows how far video games have come in terms of tech and where we are about to go next. These are exciting times. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXZhnrkBdo

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 37126 Posts

Star Citizen has to start delivering and stop promising.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 11864 Posts

Will never release. will be always be in beta.

SplendidCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 SplendidCoffee
Member since 2020 • 69 Posts

I have more interest in watching paint dry, at least when you paint you know it's a complete job.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 2991 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: Haha, knew you would be on top of this, I had just saw it go up on youtube.

These casual instant gratification derps can go elsewhere and enjoy their toilet games. Ambition and going places no game has gone before takes time.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@dxmcat: At least we "instant gratification derps" have games to play. You would have waited 10 years to play a 15 hour game and have to wait even longer for the initially promised games. That's assuming they actually release the game.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6015 Posts

Yawn...boring.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40531 Posts

@vfighter said:

Yawn...boring.

Then why tell us this?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 32565 Posts

Achieved with Cryengine

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dxmcat

@Pedro said:

@dxmcat: At least we "instant gratification derps" have games to play. You would have waited 10 years to play a 15 hour game and have to wait even longer for the initially promised games. That's assuming they actually release the game.

wow. assume much? I have plenty of games to play in the mean time. good things are worth waiting for. 100% troll confirmed. Get fucked.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@dxmcat said:

@Cloud_imperium: Haha, knew you would be on top of this, I had just saw it go up on youtube.

These casual instant gratification derps can go elsewhere and enjoy their toilet games. Ambition and going places no game has gone before takes time.

I was excited for this game at one point. the squadron 42 single player one. not mmo star citizen. but that is also never released and its 2020. i was excited for this in 2014. and i have given up.

it will never going to release. atleast we have games to play. not games that will forever stay in pre alpha.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pedro

@dxmcat said:

wow. assume much? I have plenty of games to play in the mean time. good things are worth waiting for. 100% troll confirmed. Get fucked.

Exactly. Just like you have plenty of good games to play we "instant gratification derps" also have plenty of good games to play making this game irrelevant until its actually released. Don't be mad with us for pointing out reality. :)

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dxmcat

@Pedro: Yea the reality is......I can't play it now? Game is crap.

Fast food mentality, like most of this forum.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@dxmcat said:

@Pedro: Yea the reality is......I can't play it now? Game is crap.

Fast food mentality, like most of this forum.

Kind of an odd thing to say on a forum like this. You have to consider using that train of thought somewhere else.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dxmcat

Nah, you've just made it beyond apparent you are a biased troll. I don't see you shitting on all game preview posts left and right or things of "will be coming soon"

@ghosts4ever said:
@dxmcat said:

I was excited for this game at one point. the squadron 42 single player one. not mmo star citizen. but that is also never released and its 2020. i was excited for this in 2014. and i have given up.

it will never going to release. atleast we have games to play. not games that will forever stay in pre alpha.

SQ42 beta still on schedule for Q3 of this year so.........whatever.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever

@dxmcat said:

Nah, you've just made it beyond apparent you are a biased troll. I don't see you shitting on all game preview posts left and right or things of "will be coming soon"

@ghosts4ever said:
@dxmcat said:

SQ42 beta still on schedule for Q3 of this year so.........whatever.

Just like it was in 2016, not, 2017, not, its a 2020. watch out they will delay it further. they will keep delay and delay.

this game will never going to release.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@dxmcat said:

Star Citizen is the only announced game that has been in development for the past 9 years and promises perpetually broken. Just calling it for what it is.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dxmcat

You mongoloids are a waste of time. Their current development roadmap structure didnt even exist in 2016. Yea, RDR2 took almost 9 years to dev too, but you wouldnt know that because they didnt have an open development process.

Entitled asshats.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19  Edited By phbz
Member since 2009 • 5030 Posts

It's an interesting game hope it comes out eventually. Meanwhile it's not like there isn't plenty of other stuff to play.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@dxmcat: You decided to be racist now? Not sure what mongoloid has to do with anything.

All of that rage doesn't change the fact that the game has been perpetually pushed and a final game has not been delivered.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dxmcat

@Pedro: There is not rage nor racism. The fact that you are nitpicking so much shows how shallow your bullshit is.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator

@Pedro: If you wanna play it that badly, you can play SC now. Sure it's still in Alpha but at least you can play it.

@phbz said:

It's an interesting game hope it comes out eventually. Meanwhile it's not like there isn't plenty of other stuff to play.

No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous, to name a few. I'm totally okay waiting another 10 years if needed to make this the best crowdfunding game of all time. Hell, I got more games to play anyways.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pedro

@dxmcat: What does the mentioning of mongoloids has to do with anything besides using a group of people who has absolutely nothing to do with the topic in a negative manner?

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 14464 Posts

Real Star Citizen fans be like

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@davillain-: The point is that the game has been perpetually in alpha stage for years and deadlines missed what now? 3 or 4 times?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain-  Moderator

@Pedro: I won't denied it's been in alpha for a decade now, and while Chris is still adding more and more stuff to it, I'm fine waiting another 10 years if needed. I mean, there's nothing I can do to force and tell Chris to stop and take SC into development stage. I got no choice but to wait.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

#27  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11405 Posts

@Pedro said:

They deliver builds on a regular basis. Star Citizen is not vaporware like some people like to make it seem.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pedro

@davillain-:The last time a game underwent this much production mis management was Duke Nukem Forever(Daikatana). Waiting is the only option for those interested in the game without a doubt. However, each passing decade makes its relevance more irrelevant.

If it turns out to be the greatest game ever made then the folks who looking forward to it would feel vindicated. But history doesn't show such a promising outcome.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@BassMan said:
@Pedro said:

They deliver builds on a regular basis. Star Citizen is not vaporware like some people like to make it seem.

vaporware: software or hardware that has been advertised but is not yet available to buy, either because it is only a concept or because it is still being written or designed.

:is a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually manufactured nor officially cancelled.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 14464 Posts

@dxmcat said:

You mongoloids are a waste of time. Their current development roadmap structure didnt even exist in 2016. Yea, RDR2 took almost 9 years to dev too, but you wouldnt know that because they didnt have an open development process.

Entitled asshats.

RDR2 wasn't crowd funded, and didn't miss multiple release dates to not having one at all.

"their current development roadmap structure didn't even exist in 2016" yeah because a certain individual keeps changing it allowing him to continue to delay the game. Maybe that $4 million dollar mansion he bought recently doesn't have a pool and he needs more money lol.

Apologist much???

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dxmcat

@Pedro: Primitive thinking.....if even that far. You are not thinking at all. Whatever, with how rapid your responses are, obvious SW is the only game you play, so I feel bad for you.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BassMan

@Pedro: It is in active development and people can play it. It is basically an early access game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@dxmcat said:

@Pedro: Primitive thinking.....if even that far. You are not thinking at all. Whatever, with how rapid your responses are, obvious SW is the only game you play, so I feel bad for you.

When you can't argue against the facts ad hominem is the only way out. Refer to you first two words, it being effectively reflected in your general comments. :)

@BassMan said:

@Pedro: It is in active development and people can play it. It is basically an early access game.

It falls under the clause of vaporware. It is what it is.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BassMan

@Pedro said:

@BassMan said:

It falls under the clause of vaporware. It is what it is.

No, it doesn't. You can buy it and play it. So, it is not vaporware.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@BassMan said:

I will concede on the purchasing portion of your claim. :)

NO RELEASE DATE :P

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

I will concede on the purchasing portion of your claim. :)

NO RELEASE DATE :P

That is the nature of early access. It will never be fully complete anyway. It will just be a service game with constant updates.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@BassMan said:

That is the nature of early access. It will never be fully complete anyway. It will just be a service game with constant updates.

Then they should officially release the game then.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BassMan

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

Then they should officially release the game then.

In time, when more of the core features are developed.

SplendidCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SplendidCoffee

@dxmcat said:

Entitled asshats.

Rockstar have brains unlike the devs to SC.

I can't stand anyone who brings out an unfinished product, simple keep it under wraps until you are close to finished, it's not that hard to do.

They are living off honey dew fantasy and marketing right now, it's why it has gone on for so long, smoke and mirrors, easy money.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54906 Posts

@splendidcoffee said:

...simple keep it under wraps until you are close to finished, it's not that hard to do....

How could you do that when also trying to Kickstart your project? Kickstarters likely operate the same way pitches do to publishers and larger devs. You have to show something, and as consumers are largely idiots, you actually have to show more than a concept.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dxmcat

I love all the vitriol in this thread. You asshats are the reason games do not have open development processes.

Pretty obv none have even watched the vid in the OP. just a bunch of angry shitbirds who are jealous someone is doing something they can't.

SplendidCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SplendidCoffee

@lundy86_4 said:
@splendidcoffee said:

...simple keep it under wraps until you are close to finished, it's not that hard to do....

How could you do that when also trying to Kickstart your project? Kickstarters likely operate the same way pitches do to publishers and larger devs. You have to show something, and as consumers are largely idiots, you actually have to show more than a concept.

Good point, however as it goes, this project has turned into this ordeal, i would rather have no game than an incomplete one.

I hope it all works out and it releases actually complete, but with this track record, capacity wise of thinking, i think most of it's fans are just tied to the wishful thinking and dreams at this point.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54906 Posts

@splendidcoffee said:

Good point, however as it goes, this project has turned into this ordeal, i would rather have no game than an incomplete one.

I hope it all works out and it releases actually complete, but with this track record, capacity wise of thinking, i think most of it's fans are just tied to the wishful thinking and dreams at this point.

It's an ordeal due to an open development cycle. @dxmcat stated that RDR2 took nigh on 9 years to complete, and they are correct... Nelson stated that the game began development after the release of RDR in 2010, and also that it took ~2,000 employees to complete. There is a disconnect with regards to this game due to exposure, as opposed to games that keep development under wrap until comfortable showing their game.

SplendidCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SplendidCoffee

@lundy86_4 said:
@splendidcoffee said:

It's an ordeal due to an open development cycle. @dxmcat stated that RDR2 took nigh on 9 years to complete, and they are correct... Nelson stated that the game began development after the release of RDR in 2010, and also that it took ~2,000 employees to complete. There is a disconnect with regards to this game due to exposure, as opposed to games that keep development under wrap until comfortable showing their game.

I think you are right and you have a respectable side to this, i like that, thank you.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45657 Posts

Neat video; only watched a few minutes, will watch the rest when I get back.

Star Citizen continues to be mired in controversy and I imagine it will never escape it entirely, but you cannot deny that it is an impressive piece of software.

@Pedro said:

It's hard to reply to statements like this.

On one hand, you're right; it's been in production for a long time, so it needs to ship.

On the other hand, if you've played it, you would know it has already delivered. Even in it's alpha form it remains one of my favorite games, and it is arguably THE MOST IMPRESSIVE game I have ever witnessed from a technological standpoint.

@dxmcat said:

I love all the vitriol in this thread. You asshats are the reason games do not have open development processes.

Pretty obv none have even watched the vid in the OP. just a bunch of angry shitbirds who are jealous someone is doing something they can't.

Pretty much how I feel. I mean, if there is one thing in life a person should be optimistic, kind, and open-minded about, it should be with fun and play.

And games are fun. We lose nothing hoping for the best and being open.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dxmcat

@lundy86_4 said:
@splendidcoffee said:

Logical thinking not allowed here!!!! :P

SplendidCoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SplendidCoffee

@dxmcat said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@splendidcoffee said:

Logical thinking not allowed here!!!! :P

It is, he made great points.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 2899 Posts

If all games were in the public eye throughout the course of it's entire development then obviously there are going to be some that take more than just a few years to develop and no shortage of complaints from gamers tired of waiting. The Elder Scrolls Online was in development for 7 yrs before release so what do you guys expect from a huge multiplayer online game?

You guys are better off not knowing about any upcoming releases until the year of release as there is apparently some patience issues.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:

It's hard to reply to statements like this.

On one hand, you're right; it's been in production for a long time, so it needs to ship.

On the other hand, if you've played it, you would know it has already delivered. Even in it's alpha form it remains one of my favorite games, and it is arguably THE MOST IMPRESSIVE game I have ever witnessed from a technological standpoint.

Well I don't invest in unfinished games. Most people prefer to play finished products than pay for a game that would be in perpetual development. You said you are impressed by the game but not from a gameplay standpoint but a technological standpoint. That says a lot to me.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 3008 Posts

@Pedro said:

You have waited more than 10 years for a turd known as TLG. You have waited more than 20 years to replay a shitty JRPG and are still waiting. You have waited 6 years for a turd like Crackdown 3. You have waited 10+ years for DNF You guys are still waiting for BG&E 2. The list goes on.

As for Star Citizen, it has the ambition all the biggest console games combined wouldn't come close to.