Technical Achievements: Borderlands 2 PSVita VS The Wither 3 NSwitch

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

Edited By sakaiXx

Poll Technical Achievements: Borderlands 2 PSVita VS The Wither 3 NSwitch (21 votes)

Borderlands 2 Vita (Cross save PS3&PS4, 544p portable, 4gb card) 24%
The Witcher 3 Switch (540p portable, 32gb card) 76%

Its that time again folks, which of the 2 games you think is a bigger technical push on a portable system? Vote and comment on why the games you vote, in your opinion is such a technical achievements.

Witcher 3

Beautifully Blurry
Beautifully Blurry

Borderlands 2

Amazingly Playable, probably
Amazingly Playable, probably

• 
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15868 Posts

BTW

you can Co-op and play together online with Borderlands 2. 2 player only

Witcher 3 comes with all expansions. nice

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

A super demanding game on very underpowered hardware vs. a not so demanding game on not so underpowered hardware.

My vote goes to W3. But to answer this better I'd have to sit down with both. Which I will never do.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

borderlands is a cartoon graphics game lmao.

no comparison.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Borderlands 2 was certainly impressive to see on a handheld, but like a lot of the other console to Vita ports the performance was below par. IIRC, the Borderlands 2 framerate was in some instances sub 20 FPS.

I say let's wait for the full Digital Foundry analysis. Another nice comparison would be Killzone vs Doom, both quite incredible technically.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts
@mandzilla said:

Borderlands 2 was certainly impressive to see on a handheld, but like a lot of the other console to Vita ports the performance was below par. IIRC, the Borderlands 2 framerate was in some instances sub 20 FPS.

Oh really?

If Witcher 3 on Switch runs at a stable 30fps, it wins, even though it would look like shit. A game that runs in 20fps is broken. "Technical achievement" my ass.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Litchie: I agree mostly. But even with the low framerate it was still impressive to me at least to see something like Borderlands 2 on a handheld, especially at that time. Sure, it wasn't the most pleasant way to play it, though I feel if they had more time they could have improved it a bit. Look at Killzone Mercenary, that looked better and ran better than Borderlands 2.

Perhaps calling it a technical achievement is overstating it somewhat, however it's still a decent attempt at making console quality games on the go a thing back in 2013. I'd say Metal Gear Solid 3 on the 3DS was quite an accomplishment too, even though that game also ran at about 20 FPS.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

of those 2 i would give witcher 3 the nod.

the vita had more impressive games like assassins creed (that was amazing it ran at all...on a 444MHz quad core CPU (and i think 1 CPU was reserved for the OS). it had performance problems but still impressive.

even then though the witcher on switch, in any capacity, is amazing. its more the CPU side that impresses me. they have managed to take a workload designed to spread across 6-7 jaguar cores running at a faster clock and get it running in some form on a quad core ARM CPU running around 1GHz. unless they have cut it so far that there are things like extra loading screens....but i doubt that (there are examples of the switch handling big open worlds of course).

its going to be interesting to see how much they had to cut in terms of NPC numbers, draw distance and so on and how close they can get to the other versions. novigrad is going to be tough as it is tough on any hardware.

on a side note: ARM cpus have actually impressed me as gaming CPUs. some of the things devs have managed to squeeze out of even the 3DS and DS. games like moon on the DS and Kid icarus on the 3DS...its actually surprising what them little cores can do. I wonder what someone could do if they really pushed them in terms of clocks and gave them more cooling (and tweaked the architecture to deal better with gaming workloads.)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

PSV has been dead the better part of the last 5 years. Witcher 3 is the better game.

I won't be double dipping on Witcher 3 but I recommend it to any Nintendo fans that have yet to play it. Definitely a contender for game of the generation.

Also, kudos to the dev for fitting it on a Switch cart. Pretty amazing actually.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I really wanted to like Borderlands 2 on PS Vita but it was awful. Due to the back touch screen controls my character was constantly doing melee attacks into thin air. It was so annoying and disappointing that I sold it same day and bought it on PS3. My vote goes to The Switcher lol

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

I'm loving Bioshock on Vita