Tales of Zestiria PS4 and PC info, 30fps lock all around

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So the devs have released info on PC and PS4 settings in the newest entry in the Tales JRPG series. The most disappointing aspect is a 30fps cap on all platforms. They do sound like they put some effort into the PC version though.

Both the PC and PS4 version will run at a 1920×1080 resolution with PC supporting resolutions up to 4K. Full HD here we come! They also benefit from many other graphical improvements: the draw distance is 2x times what it is on PS3, with the PC version having a “far” option improving it even more. Shadows, anti-aliasing and textures also got upgraded. The PC version will allow you to switch between low, medium and high for all the preceding options.

It’s now time to talk about the framerate; all versions of Tales of Zestiria will run at a constant 30 frames per second. Before you run off to the comment section, hear us out! The Tales of battle system has always been an integral part of the gameplay experience, and changing the framerate proved to have profound consequences on things like: animation, balance, difficulty, and overall fighting mechanics tuning. We do this in the best interest for the players’ experience!

Sucks that they didn't make the game work at 60fps, probably because it's coming from a PS3 release (?)

The game is set to release in the West in October on PS3/PS4/PC...no X1 version because JRPG

Source

Oh and here is a first 15 minutes of gameplay video (PS4)

RMCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By RMCP
Member since 2015 • 69 Posts

No idea what this game is, but most likely there will be a fix for the 30 FPS on PC. One of many advantages of being a PC gamer.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

O hells no you dont, ill have my 4K 120fps. You shall feel the wraith of Lord Gaben soon enough, descend my dear Angels, free the locked souls once again.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Is it me but Japanese developer seem to have this issue with the whole frame rate being tied with their animation

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib

@rmcp said:

No idea what this game is, but most likely there will be a fix for the 30 FPS on PC. One of many advantages of being a PC gamer.

Depends how much 60fps may screw with the game

RMCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RMCP

@lostrib said:
@rmcp said:

True. Although if it was originally envisioned for 60 and they brought it down to 30 fps just because of last gen consoles as you suggested; then it shouldn't be much of an issue I would assume.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lostrib

@rmcp said:
@lostrib said:
@rmcp said:

True. Although if it was originally envisioned for 60 and they brought it down to 30 fps just because of last gen consoles as you suggested; then it shouldn't be much of an issue I would assume.

it was originally released in japan on PS3 earlier this year

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

**** off.

@blueeyedcasva said:

Is it me but Japanese developer seem to have this issue with the whole frame rate being tied with their animation

JP devs have an issue with pc development all over.

Locked frame rates, low amount of options, fucked up k/m controls, graphics being worse than their console counterparts.

Seriously, go check One Piece Pirate Warriros gfx comparisons between pc and ps4.

Jesus, Ubisoft has a problem with optimization, but their games are atleast filled with options all around.

In contrast, japanese devs are a fucking nightmare in pc ports. Square Enix, Tecmo, Namco, Arc System Works, etc.

Just go look up FF Type.0's k/m controls system. WTF?! They're awful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#9 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

If it's locked at 30, I'll just buy it for the PS4...

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

**** off.

@blueeyedcasva said:

JP devs have an issue with pc development all over.

Locked frame rates, low amount of options, fucked up k/m controls, graphics being worse than their console counterparts.

Seriously, go check One Piece Pirate Warriros gfx comparisons between pc and ps4.

Jesus, Ubisoft has a problem with optimization, but their games are atleast filled with options all around.

In contrast, japanese devs are a fucking nightmare in pc ports. Square Enix, Tecmo, Namco, Arc System Works, etc.

Just go look up FF Type.0's k/m controls system. WTF?! They're awful.

I think a lot of this has do with inexperience and rushing the game to meet deadline but games like VC showed JP developer can do a port well if they put effort into them.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@rmcp said:

Oh look,a new alt.

-God- ?

RMCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RMCP

@MonsieurX said:
@rmcp said:

Oh look,a new alt.

-God- ?

Nope. A new guy browsing these ridiculous threads putting braggy console plebs in their place.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX

@rmcp said:
@MonsieurX said:
@rmcp said:

Oh look,a new alt.

-God- ?

Nope. A new guy browsing these ridiculous threads putting braggy console plebs in their place.

Sure.

RMCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RMCP

@MonsieurX said:
@rmcp said:

Sure.

Oh man. Some random internet guy doesn't believe me.....I'm dooooooooomed!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@rmcp: don't be a goofus

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX

@lostrib said:

I'll need the source on that.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@blueeyedcasva: To be fair, that's SEGA, who has put alot of effort into pc development. Also, there are indeed others like KOji pro with MGS 5.

Still, the majority of them are indeed inexperienced. I loved Dark Souls, but that was one shit port, and DS2 still has issues.

Regardless, jp devs should actually take some time to learn pc development all around before porting their games.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

i think its going to dawn on the japanese sooner rather than later that tying elemets of the games mecahnics directly to the framerate is just going to be a non runner. did they always know this was going to be on the PS4 too or was it a late decision? in console development it can make sense to tie some systems to framerate (fixed platform) but its all about multiplat development now.

im sure there will be a patch/mod to unlock the framerate but i suspect its going to just lead to some silly youtube videos :P. i wouldnt expect an official fix as i dont think fixing it properly would be trivial.

in fairness there are some japanese developers that are very good with PC and multiplat development, like capcom. whatever about the quality of their actual games, the tech underlying it is robust stuff. capcom started approaching everything with a multiplat mindset last gen and thats paid off.

i hear from software have also come on leaps and bounds. the first dark souls was pretty rough (similar issues to this: unlocked framerate means messed up mechanics) but dark souls 2 was a lot better.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lostrib

@MonsieurX said:
@lostrib said:

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX

@lostrib said:
@MonsieurX said:
@lostrib said:

10/10

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#21 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Does it really matter with a game like this? I don't know, but I don't think I'd care too much.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Grabbing it on the PS4. I can't see it being a huge deal with the PC version considering it's a JRPG.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Looks like a PS2 game.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Seriously guys, have any of you even looked at this game? It looks like shit on a fucking shovel on every platform. The PS4 version is a STRAIGHT port of the PS3 version which for its part looks like a PS2 game remastered for PS3.

The PC version lol, you can play it in 1440p or 4k with ridiculously low res textures and ugly artwork whoop de do.

If you want to get excited for a JRPG check out the Star Ocean 5 trailer which looks amazing (though no PC version announced, not yet anyway). This shit belongs on PS2.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Not really a huge issue since it's an RPG, but wasn't Tales of Symphonia 60fps?

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Another best on PC.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blueinheaven

@-God- said:

Another best on PC.

I remember when trolls were intelligent, creative and amusing and not a tedious, boring complete waste of oxygen like you.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -God-

@blueinheaven said:
@-God- said:

Another best on PC.

I remember when trolls were intelligent, creative and amusing and not a tedious, boring complete waste of oxygen like you.

Can you factually and objectively refute that statement?

I'm sure that 4k > 1080p, and the insatiable 60fps .ini trick for topping on the butthurt cake.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blueinheaven

@-God- said:
@blueinheaven said:
@-God- said:

Another best on PC.

Can you factually and objectively refute that statement?

I'm sure that 4k > 1080p, and the insatiable 60fps .ini trick for topping on the butthurt cake.

As I have already explained, you can't polish a turd. The graphics absolutely suck donkey balls because the textures are all what you might expect from two gens ago. Running that junk in 4k improves nothing, not that you have a 4k TV or even a PC so I don't know why you're getting involved other than desperately seeking attention again

Some people (not you) might have a 4k monitor so they are recreating the experience of playing on a small screen again which to me is equally hilarious and yes INFERIOR even to 1080p on a large screen HDTV.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -God-

I'll wait for digital foundry to open ure butthurt all over the floor.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@-God- said:

Another best on PC.

Yeah that never was the case. Trolls were just more subtle.

rabih55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rabih55555
Member since 2006 • 336 Posts

30fps never bothered me. I'm ok with a that as long it has proper keyboard and mouse support

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@-God- said:

Another best on PC.

Trolls are successful if they get people asshurt.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I believe the GCN was 60fps, but the PS2 version and PS3 HD version are both 30fps

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

@blueinheaven said:

Seriously guys, have any of you even looked at this game? It looks like shit on a fucking shovel on every platform. The PS4 version is a STRAIGHT port of the PS3 version which for its part looks like a PS2 game remastered for PS3.

The PC version lol, you can play it in 1440p or 4k with ridiculously low res textures and ugly artwork whoop de do.

If you want to get excited for a JRPG check out the Star Ocean 5 trailer which looks amazing (though no PC version announced, not yet anyway). This shit belongs on PS2.

...wasn't really claiming it had good graphics. Just info on the settings and frame cap on all platforms

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

What's the fuss about this game? It looks like utter shit.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

@IgGy621985 said:

it's part of the Tales JRPG series, which some people like. And it's another JRPG being brought over to PC.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blueinheaven

@lostrib said:
@blueinheaven said:

...wasn't really claiming it had good graphics. Just info on the settings and frame cap on all platforms

I realise that, just pointing out it's probably not worth the time spent thinking about it, IMO obviously.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I'm fine with this since this wasn't a native PS4 game to begin with; just happy we have it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@lostrib said:
@IgGy621985 said:

it's part of the Tales JRPG series, which some people like. And it's another JRPG being brought over to PC.

Granted, but where's the point with the support for 4K resolutions with those low quality textures?

But if people like the series, cool, I have nothing against it's coming to PC. But I found it kind of weird when the system wars went somewhat mental when it was announced.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@lostrib said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

I believe the GCN was 60fps, but the PS2 version and PS3 HD version are both 30fps

Oh alright, I thought it was 60.

I guesss this is a total nonissue then.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Who cares about the visuals of this games?

It's another tales game, which will play like every other Tales game, it's freakin jrpg call of duty, which I'm sure some jrpg pleb would like to defend with "but the story", of which is like 3rd grade anime tier crap.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178811 Posts

@lostrib said:
@IgGy621985 said:

Interesting. I hope it wasn't PC gamers slagging off PS4 owners that were excited for JRPGs then.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lostrib

@jg4xchamp said:

Who cares about the visuals of this games?

It's another tales game, which will play like every other Tales game, it's freakin jrpg call of duty, which I'm sure some jrpg pleb would like to defend with "but the story", of which is like 3rd grade anime tier crap.

Probably people interested in purchasing it

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

So begins our collective inability to outgrow the "buy X so Y can't be on PC" mentality...

It get that people are upset that they're stuck with sub-optimal performance on a sub-$1K machine, though i feel that it is necessary to explain that there's a much bigger picture than 60FPS and more Tales games on Steam combined.

Because of the creators of Disgaea testing the waters of PC gaming with an unrelated PSP dungeon crawler and failed spectacularly, there has been the fear that if you don't support a Japanese developer on Steam, they'll never make a PC game. This pretty much allowed Arc System Works to prey on the demand for the newest BlazBlue game, release anything other than newest BlazBlue and get away with it. A year after Calamity Trigger's release and being drip-fed dotEmu ports of ASW fighters from the PS2, we see Final Fantasy XIII, which similarly had people clamor around the game so that FF Type 0 and/or XV can be on Steam.

Fast forward to early 2015, Rise of Incarnates leaves its closed beta and enters Early Access. At the time of Tales of Zestiria's PC announcement, RoI was looking like an excuse to never bring a Tales game to Steam a la Cladun X2 to Disgaea. the fact that said announcement happened is an indication that we can eventually stop being expected to like one game out of the vain hope that we might get the one we want, provided that Tales of Zestiria catches on.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Last one I played was Vesperia on 360. Might pick it up on PC if its decent.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

@lostrib: As long as it is a consistent 30 fps, I don't care. This game is on my radar though. Been a while since I got a good JRPG. Can't decide whether to get it for PS4 or PC though.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

It's sad to see the Tales series gone to shit after Symphonia. I heard Vesperia was good but I never got to play it. At least it's coming to PC so the game will be dirt cheap in a couple of months or a year.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I'm OK with that TBH, will be cheaper on PC and helps delay the need to buy a PS4 a bit longer. :P

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
@p3anut said:

It's sad to see the Tales series gone to shit after Symphonia. I heard Vesperia was good but I never got to play it. At least it's coming to PC so the game will be dirt cheap in a couple of months or a year.

That is assuming that Bandai Namco Studios aren't as dumb as Nippon Ichi Software. Then again, the former's parent company thinks that we prefer Spike Chunsoft's crappy Gundam wannabe over a game that's actually made by the Gundam VS team.