Take Two: We're not making games for Wii U

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

Wii U has not enough customer base

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/02/07/take-two-ceo-tablet-gaming-not-quite-there-yet

"...Following this idea that Take-Two's content goes where the consumer goes, Zelnick spoke about the company's relationship, or lack thereof, with Nintendo and the Wii U console. Take-Two believes that Wii U just doesn't have the consumer base to warrant its attention right now. "Our strategy is to meet consumers where they are," Zelnick elaborated. "If they're buying hardware, we'll be there with software. That said, we make these really big, AAA titles that work on some platforms, but not others."

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I like how people on Neogaf immediately go Grand Theft Auto when they think 2K.

It's sad to know the WiiU will not get another 2K sport game or Bioshock or Borderlands. :(

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Can't blame him.

Shame though.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's okay because Nintendo fans don't want any of those games on their console after all.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ DocSanchez

I'd kill for a Wii U Edition of LA. Noire with Cole's Note book appearing on the controller. They could do the samething With the CellPhone in GTA but I don't like GTA.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Chicken-egg. Install base is small because there aren't many games (need third parties to fill in gaps) vs developers don't support because the install base is small.

This is just one of the many problems Nintendo has.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LegatoSkyheart

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ DocSanchez

I'd kill for a Wii U Edition of LA. Noire with Cole's Note book appearing on the controller. They could do the samething With the CellPhone in GTA but I don't like GTA.

he was more or less talking about how most Nintendo fans say "third party is crap" or "well those games aren't for me" swill.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ LegatoSkyheart

I suppose I can't argue with that. But with alil co-op I'm sure, Sheep will want to jump on it. :p

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It's sad to know the WiiU will not get another 2K sport game or Bioshock or Borderlands. :(

It is their most well known and probably the biggest or second biggest selling game.

Even people who have never played video games have heard of grand theft auto. Its like talking about mcdonalds and not automatically think of a big mac.

Honestly I cant figure out why you would be surprised.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@Gargus said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It is their most well known and probably the biggest or second biggest selling game.

Even people who have never played video games have heard of grand theft auto. Its like talking about mcdonalds and not automatically think of a big mac.

Because Rockstar, not 2K. Wouldn't have known 2K owned Rockstar had it not been for this place.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Gargus said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I think McFlurry. By far their greatest menu item :P

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Not surprising.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Nintendo needs to get their sh** together. NES/SNES era Nintendo wouldn't be having these issues. What the hell happened to that company? The last two consoles have been utter rubbish. Yes, the original Wii sold a lot, but that is because it had a novelty factor going for it. I think we can all agree that regardless of sales the original Wii wasn't a great console and neither is the Wii U.

Time to drop the Wii name and bring back the Nintendo that went for the jugular.

Lastly, I call BS that the main reason why Take-Two won't develop games for it is because of the install base. I mean it might be one factor, but I think there are other factors as well they aren't mentioning. Most likely the totally different architecture and the fact that it is underpowered compared to the XB1/PS4 are other possible reasons why you won't see Take-Two games on the Wii U. I can almost guarantee that the next Take-Two game will be exclusive to the next-gen consoles.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I seriously dont remember who Take-Two is.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

It sucks, but the positive side, at least we won't see crap like Carnival Games on Wii U. Seriously, that's all what 2K (or Take-Two) released for the Wii, a very crappy shovelware series among other shovelware titles.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Really? Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Xcom, Civilization ring any bells?

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

@Nengo_Flow: GTA, Bioshock, and Borderlands.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#18 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Will blame him.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@locopatho said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Really? Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Xcom, Civilization ring any bells?

@locopatho said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

Oh... yeah...

I forgot about the Bioshock games, since I only played the first and didnt like it.

And the GTA RDR have R* name on them and thats the only name you need to know lol

I only played the Demo for Civilization and I downloaded XCOM off of PSN+ but never played it...

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Chicken-egg. Install base is small because there aren't many games (need third parties to fill in gaps) vs developers don't support because the install base is small.

even when the Wii had like 90 millions in sales back in the day most 3rd party games still flopped horribly. Only Nintendo's 1st party's and crappy 3rd party exercise games sold well there. In fact, it's thanks to the Wii (and the X360) that now Mistwalker are now only dedicated to mobile games (well, they don't even have the capital to make games anymore). I mean, even great games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom flopped!

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Gargus said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Because Rockstar, not 2K. Wouldn't have known 2K owned Rockstar had it not been for this place.

2K doesn't own Rockstar. Both 2K and Rockstar are owned by Take-Two.

And Gargus, GTA isn't "probably their biggest or second biggest selling game". There's no probably. It is the best selling game franchise of all time, so I'm pretty sure that also makes it the best selling franchise Take-Two has.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Well that's the WiiU officially fucked then. EA out, Ubisoft out,Warner Bros out, Take-Two out.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Of course not.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lol screw these nerds.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Nobody ever expected them to put their games on a Nintendo platform.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@trugs26 said:

even when the Wii had like 90 millions in sales back in the day most 3rd party games still flopped horribly. Only Nintendo's 1st party's and crappy 3rd party exercise games sold well there. In fact, it's thanks to the Wii (and the X360) that now Mistwalker are now only dedicated to mobile games (well, they don't even have the capital to make games anymore). I mean, even great games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom flopped!

Exactly why it's one of many problems.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LegatoSkyheart

@the_bi99man said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

And Gargus, GTA isn't "probably their biggest or second biggest selling game". There's no probably. It is the best selling game franchise of all time, so I'm pretty sure that also makes it the best selling franchise Take-Two has.

I thought 2K was Take Two?

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Nobody ever expected them to put their games on a Nintendo platform.

This. When have they ever released something on Nintendo platforms?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@emgesp said:

Nintendo needs to get their sh** together. NES/SNES era Nintendo wouldn't be having these issues. What the hell happened to that company? The last two consoles have been utter rubbish. Yes, the original Wii sold a lot, but that is because it had a novelty factor going for it. I think we can all agree that regardless of sales the original Wii wasn't a great console and neither is the Wii U.

Time to drop the Wii name and bring back the Nintendo that went for the jugular.

Lastly, I call BS that the main reason why Take-Two won't develop games for it is because of the install base. I mean it might be one factor, but I think there are other factors as well they aren't mentioning. Most likely the totally different architecture and the fact that it is underpowered compared to the XB1/PS4 are other possible reasons why you won't see Take-Two games on the Wii U. I can almost guarantee that the next Take-Two game will be exclusive to the next-gen consoles.

Gamecube was awful too =(

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nintendoboy16

@edwardecl said:

Well that's the WiiU officially fucked then. EA out, Ubisoft out,Warner Bros out, Take-Two out.

Nope. They are still in. Watch_Dogs and Child of Light are still getting released for the console. And for WB's sake, they are still releasing LEGO games.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Screw EA Activision Konami Square Enix Take Two. They suck anyways. We dont want any of EA'sActivision'sKonami'sSquare Enix's Take Two's crappy games on our system!!! :(

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Another top developer avoiding the Wii U and focusing on X1, PS4 and PC.
All that casual Wii money and sales going down the drain.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I wonder how much longer the WiiU has if things continue at this rate.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@the_bi99man said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Na, Take Two is the parent company. 2K is one of their many, many subsidiaries. Of which Rockstar is also one.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nintendoboy16

@Gue1 said:

@trugs26 said:

Sonic Colors, Monster Hunter Tri, RE4/Umbrella Chronicles, LEGO Adaptations, and CoD are exercise games? News to me

Also, you realize Capcom was happy about the sales for TvsC, right? The sales can't have been that bad if they are pleased with the results. It's only "a flop" because it didn't have the hype the other fighters had and it released the same damn day as Mass Effect 2 (which, ironically EA and Capcom would re-enact that release when ME3 and Street Fighter X Tekken released the same day).

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Damn, the Wii U is getting consumed buy that catch 22.

I'm not buying it without the third party support. And third parties won't support it unless people buy it.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@-Damien-: You can blame Nintendo for that though. They should have sent reps to 3rd party developers to entice them to make games for their system instead of assuming 3rd party would automatically do so because the Wii sold over 100 million units. Nintendo went from top dog to bottom of the barrel from one generation to the next.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@-Damien-: that's stupid. GTA: Chinatown Wars was best on DS because they were so brilliant in implementing the use of the touchscreen. A console GTA with an equally well implemented use of the GamePad would be a breakout success.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Who is still making Wii U games? Nintendo and...?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@emgesp: nah, I can't agree with you on the Wii. The console has some really overlooked, great games on it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@the_bi99man said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

No, the_bi99man is right. Take Two is the parent company. But their relationship with Rockstar is weird, as rockstar pretty much does whatever it likes.

It's not like Take Two can say: so GTA is pretty popular, why don't you make one every year ? and rockstar will do it.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Userbases don't create themselves; publishers and developers have to create an ecosystem that gamers are attracted to before they'll buy the system. I'm amazed that publishers haven't realized this yet.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@Sword-Demon said:

Userbases don't create themselves; publishers and developers have to create an ecosystem that gamers are attracted to before they'll buy the system. I'm amazed that publishers haven't realized this yet.

Publishers and developers don't want to work with Ninty because they are complete shit to work with. Let's not flip this on the publishers.

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@millerlight89: ON top of that why spend millions porting over wiiu game that is not going to sell. Some of the highest rated 3rd party games struggled to sell on the wii.

Nintendo use to be a great company until the wii dropped. They are the laughing stock now and nobody cares about them. The most loyal of nintendo fans are starting to realize Nintendo is out of touch with reality.

They failed the moment they announced the "wiiU" stupid name and stupid device.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nintendoboy16

@gamevet77 said:

@millerlight89: ON top of that why spend millions porting over wiiu game that is not going to sell. Some of the highest rated 3rd party games struggled to sell on the wii.

Nintendo use to be a great company until the wii dropped. They are the laughing stock now and nobody cares about them. The most loyal of nintendo fans are starting to realize Nintendo is out of touch with reality.

They failed the moment they announced the "wiiU" stupid name and stupid device.

Bit of a stretch, don't you think? Lots of people still do even after all the stupid decisions.

Although to be fair, there are some people who call themselves lifelong fans of the company and contradict that WAY too easy *cough*DSP*cough*.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Cant blame him, WiiU is just a secondary console at best for exclusives. No normal person would buy a multiplat for WiiU if they could buy it for Ps4/Xbone/PC...

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

I can see why,seeing as WiiU is last gen . It would be like Take-2 saying they will release Bioshock 5 on PS3/360.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

WiiU is totally fucked now.

D: RIP WiiU

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

@-Damien-: that's stupid. GTA: Chinatown Wars was best on DS because they were so brilliant in implementing the use of the touchscreen. A console GTA with an equally well implemented use of the GamePad would be a breakout success.

The DS had a relevant user base.