Take-Two CEO thinks that launching new games into GAMEPASS makes no sense. Is he suffering from 24/7 rent free as well?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

More drama delivery, guys. Microsoft can't catch a break, and lems need to work overtime to damage control the unsustainable Gamepass.

The writing is on the wall. Gamepass makes no sense. Spending 2-5 years to develop a game, millions in marketing alone, to then allow people to play it for $1-15? Not only is it unsustainable, but the games suffer the most.

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has again offered his perspective on subscription services in the gaming business, saying they don't make sense for frontline new releases to launch into on day one.

Speaking during Take-Two's latest earnings call, Zelick said his company has been "very cooperative" with both Microsoft and Sony on their subscription services "when it makes sense for us," but his views regarding subscription services for games as a whole have not changed.

Zelnick maintains that there are major differences between the linear entertainment (TV/film) business and interactive entertainment (video game) business, and while a subscription service may make sense for linear entertainment, Zelnick doesn't see the same viability for games.

"The interactive entertainment business is very different than the linear entertainment business. People consume far fewer hours of interactive entertainment in a given month than they do of linear entertainment," he said. "And within that consumption, there are far fewer titles consumed in interactive entertainment than there are with linear entertainment. So I, at least, pose the question as to whether subscription makes as much sense for interactive entertainment as it does for linear entertainment and registered some skepticism, which I still hold."

As for launching new games into a subscription service, like Microsoft does with first-party games for Xbox Game Pass, Zelnick said this does not make sense for Take-Two.

"I don't think that ever made sense. I still don't think it makes sense. And I believe that it's now becoming obvious that it doesn't make sense. It's just a lost opportunity for the publisher," he said.

Zelnick said he can't speak for Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer, who is very bullish on his own Game Pass subscription service for obvious reasons, but Take-Two's stance remains unchanged. For Take-Two, adding its games to a subscription service might make sense for older titles, Zelnick said, but don't expect to see Take-Two's big new releases coming to a subscription service on day one.

"There probably is a subscription business. It's a catalog business. It's probably best aimed at very avid consumers because those are the consumers who are interested in playing catalog titles, and playing a whole bunch of different titles in a given month," he said. "But I don't think it's a mass market service that supplants the interactive entertainment business as we know it at all. And I don't think there's any evidence to the contrary so far."

Zelnick has been echoing these comments for years. In 2021, the executive said a subscription service needs to make sense, economically, for the developers/publishers as well as the consumers. For older titles, the math might work, but it doesn't for new releases, Zelnick said.

"I think catalog can make sense for the publishers, it can make sense for the consumers who are avid, who really want access to a lot of product. But if you're getting into frontline product, then the economics are much more difficult to make sense of," he said.

One high-profile example of a Rockstar Games-developed title that went into a subscription service is Grand Theft Auto V. It was added and then removed from Xbox Game Pass.

While Microsoft launches all of its first-party games into Xbox Game Pass on day one, Sony doesn't do this with its own PlayStation Plus membership program. PlayStation's Jim Ryan seems to agree with Zelnick and believes this doesn't make economic sense.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12951 Posts

Weird. He said that 5 months ago in June.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

If a game is good I’m willing to pay for it. I don’t want day one and I like how Sony is doing it with Plus and Premium.

I would rather pay full price or on sale price for good games than have more bargain game games. Especially if devs suffer or aren’t motivated to make a quality product.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen

Wouldn't surprise me that within the next two years, gamepass will only get indie and niche titles on day one, while all first party and third party will be available at least six months (after the sales have dried up) after launch. This would make sense as a business.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

@hardwenzen: no way MS would walk back there promises of all first party day 1

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Ugh, Take-Two already talk about this like months ago and this isn't new to anyone. Someone has been sleeping under a rock😏

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Bro this news is so old.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@hardwenzen: thankfully you moved on from halo infinite after such a long time. Everyone here in SW deserves a break, so this is refreshing.

As for this guy, I agree with him. Why would a big AAA studio put their game on gamepass, it makes no sense. Heck, if I were a shareholder, I wouldn't want MS to put the latest cod on the platform either, not until 2 years has passed. Got to milk the crowd after all.

As a consumer I'm happy with the games already on the platform. Persona5 Royale looks fantastic. Halo infinite is amazing. Tons of great games, I got no complaints. A lot of these developers don't have complaints either. They send their older games, maybe 5 or 6 month old AAA games to gamepass and that gives extra boost in recognition. MS gives them a bag too. Everyone wins.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

That’s because they’re third party and don’t own Game Pass. It’s the fact that Microsoft first party games go into the service that is the big draw. I don’t think people are expecting third party games to be hitting the service day one all the time. I feel like we’ve already gone through this before.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hardwenzen
@randy_lahey said:

@hardwenzen: no way MS would walk back there promises of all first party day 1

Remember how they woke up one day, and decided to charge twice the cost for XBL? Ever since that happened, you really don't know what to expect from this company.

And Halo Infinite was most likely their big test to see how profitable it could be. I don't need to tell you that it blew in their face, so plans might be changing sooner rather than later.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@hardwenzen: your title is misleading.. he said it made no sense for take two

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

Not sure the guy who thinks Take-Two is doing the world a favor by not charging more for shit like GTA Online is someone whose opinion I overtly give a **** about.

This is also the same guy who approved dumping GTA Trilogy out there while having it on offer on subscription services. Nothing like a quick rental to see how little they fucking care. Of course it doesn't make sense to him.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@regnaston said:

"Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has again offered his perspective on subscription services in the gaming business, saying they don't make sense for frontline new releases to launch into on day one."

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Is this new? He’s on record saying that at least twice already.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@regnaston said:

"Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick has again offered his perspective on subscription services in the gaming business, saying they don't make sense for frontline new releases to launch into on day one."

And you are aware this isn't really new news right? Take-Two has said this like months ago and not once, but twice to say the least. (Not the 3rd time we need to hear this) How is this exactly new news?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@davillain said:
@hardwenzen said:
@regnaston said:

And you are aware this isn't really new news right? Take-Two has said this like months ago and not once, but twice to say the least. (Not the 3rd time we need to hear this) How is this exactly new news?

I do believe hearing this before. You know what? Ragnarok is coming, and we don't need to put more weight on lems shoulders. Its better to just lock the thread since its not really new news, anyways.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3398 Posts

I think Nintendo is about to launch a new console named Switch. I got a good feeling about this.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Another day and another desperate failure by hardwenzen

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Own up, you actually did a search to find something against GamePass so you can post in here.

Oh how it backfired.

So desperate.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

Look at the lems running away from the truth. Gamepass is only for trash. Starfield hence will be trash.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

That’s a bummer. I was expecting them to release GTA 6 day one on gamepass and to donate the earnings from other platforms to children in need.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

I don't care about what a CEO from Take Two has to say about anything.

@Syn_Valence said:

Look at the lems running away from the truth. Gamepass is only for trash. Starfield hence will be trash.

There's a lot of good stuff on game pass. Starfield will most likely be trash though, yeah. Even if the game was to be released on a Sony platform, which would make you guys hype it up instead of talking shit about it, since your taste in games is terrible.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Rent free even in fake cows heads

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Good news for MS showing Xbox barely hanging on in the VG biz. ;o

Act/Bliz deal is gonna sail through now, baby!! ;)

Way to head fake'em MS. You win!! lol :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58301 Posts

CEO is thinking what is best for his business, stock prices, and shareholders. Not the customers.

So I'd ignore this 😁Maybe support the opposite.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

He's not saying GamePass doesn't make any sense. All he's saying is that it's not a replacement of the status quo.