Take a look at what this guy had to say

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

http://www.eyecaptureimages.com/TNT_Gaming_Voice/Blog/Entries/2011/4/23_We_Are_NOT_Anonymous.html

About hackers...It was a good read...

deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

Yeah pretty good read, and a good rebuttle to the "OMG they are fighting for your rights" guys on SW. Reality check they just want free games.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Promised_Trini

Yeah pretty good read, and a good rebuttle to the "OMG they are fighting for your rights" guys on SW. Reality check they just want free games.

deangallop

I am waiting to see who going to try and spin what he has said...

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

"My name is Trevor and I'm a gamer who's sick and tired of these selfish, entitled little punks pulling **** in the name of "making things better" for the rest of us. We don't want your help. Seems to me things were working just fine 15 years ago before jailbroken iPhones and hacked 360s that can play every game for free." Pretty awesome quote :P

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

Promised_Trini

Off topic, but your avatar is epic!

TheKing012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheKing012
Member since 2011 • 1191 Posts

they won't respond to him.

they only target individuals when they feel they are somehow vulnerable. he obviously isn't.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Promised_Trini

[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

SwagSurf

Yes it is epic8)

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

Promised_Trini

Yes it is epic8)

A bit too epic for SW dont you think? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Well, that man speaks for me.

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Promised_Trini

[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

[QUOTE="SwagSurf"]

SwagSurf

Yes it is epic8)

A bit too epic for SW dont you think? :P

It needs to been shown:D

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Hacking = ok Pirating = bad Nothing more to say on this matter.
Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Promised_Trini

"My name is Trevor and I'm a gamer who's sick and tired of these selfish, entitled little punks pulling **** in the name of "making things better" for the rest of us. We don't want your help. Seems to me things were working just fine 15 years ago before jailbroken iPhones and hacked 360s that can play every game for free." Pretty awesome quote :P

locopatho

Yup was like best part I read...

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts

Hacking = ok When it isn't done for illegal or evil intentions

Pirating = bad

Nothing more to say on this matter.SaltyMeatballs

I think he comes on a little strong, but I generally agree with him.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Yes finally someone else who sees the big picture. We don't need hackers. All it has caused is just a load of s***. Nothing great came out of it just lots of bad stuff.

XcoyoteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XcoyoteX
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

I agree with what he had to say in general, but the fact is you DO own the hardware portion of the PS3 once you buy it, and you are allowed to open it up and mod it, whatever you want. What you're not allowed to do is circumvent the copy protection (according to the DMCA). So he's wrong on that count, I suppose. I didn't really like his attitude though. For all his talk about the law he seemed somewhat ignorant about it.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

I agree with what he had to say in general, but the fact is you DO own the hardware portion of the PS3 once you buy it, and you are allowed to open it up and mod it, whatever you want. What you're not allowed to do is circumvent the copy protection (according to the DMCA). So he's wrong on that count, I suppose. I didn't really like his attitude though. For all his talk about the law he seemed somewhat ignorant about it.

XcoyoteX

Can I mount a rail gun to the top of my car and drive around in public?

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Hacking = ok Pirating = bad Nothing more to say on this matter.SaltyMeatballs

Probley without piracy, companies would grossly overcharge for games, and do a ton of more crazy things.

Well it may seem bad hacking and pirating keep companies in check

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

People stereotype. Big whoop. Welcome to your seat in the real world, hackers.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

XcoyoteX

Ehh, not exactly, your not allowed to do any mods to the console, its in the eula, thats how micrsoft got away with all the bricking

Superbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Superbored
Member since 2008 • 1187 Posts

[QUOTE="XcoyoteX"]

fusionhunter

Can I mount a rail gun to the top of my car and drive around in public?

For one, mounting a weapon capable of killing someone on your car isn't equivalant to circumventing security measures on a video game console.

Second, no you can't. Again, it's dangerous. But you could install a turbo or a muffler, maybe even new rims if you wanted.

Avatar image for TheAcountantMan
TheAcountantMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheAcountantMan
Member since 2011 • 1281 Posts

Boo that guy!! :x

Hackers, Hotz & Anon FTW. :D

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

The guy who wrote that article is a ****ing douche, flat-out.

"you're showing your immaturity" followed by "I would love nothing more than to shove the business end of a Barret .50 Cal up the ass of every single member of Anonymous and pull the trigger" and yeah, just like that, he's a confirmed moron.

Cyber-terrorism? Seriously? What a bunch of DoHS pipe-fed propaganda bull ****.

Comparing hackers to Al-Qaeda? Give me a ****ing break. Anonymous is not a terrorist organisation. Not everyone who commits a crime against a corporation or a government entity is a terrorist. :|

BanMido76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BanMido76
Member since 2011 • 200 Posts

locopatho
I think he forgets that pirating and hacks for games have been around pretty much since gaming has been around.
Superbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Superbored
Member since 2008 • 1187 Posts

"you're showing your immaturity" followed by "I would love nothing more than to shove the business end of a Barret .50 Cal up the ass of every single member of Anonymous and pull the trigger" and yeah, just like that, he's a confirmed moron.

Comparing hackers to Al-Qaeda? Give me a ****ing break. Anonymous is not a terrorist organisation. Not everyone who commits a crime against a corporation or a government entity is a terrorist. :|

jethrovegas

He's defending Sony? The same company that installed rootkits into their own customers computers?

What is it called when someone installs or modifys a person's system without permission? Oh right, hacking.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Hacking = ok Pirating = bad Nothing more to say on this matter.James161324

Probley without piracy, companies would grossly overcharge for games, and do a ton of more crazy things.

Well it may seem bad hacking and pirating keep companies in check

No they wouldn't. If people were upset about something to do with a game, they could simply NOT buy it, developers would get the message. When you pirate it's because you want the game and therefore you should buy whatever game you want.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

jethrovegas

Got any arguments or are you just feeling insulted because it hurts your anonymous feelings?

Strong language yes, immature? explain. A moron? He just explained that although he strongly feelsa certain way, he realizes that abiding to the set rules of societyis enforced by authorities for a reason: Protecting us from ourselves in a certain sense.

What is it then? Overly harsh cyber pranks? Do you know what the definition of terrorism is?

Why not? is there any difference in method and action besides it being virtual? Actually there is, Al Qaeda has significantly larger balls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

That man speaks the undeniable truth.

Avatar image for LucidJubilation
LucidJubilation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LucidJubilation
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

Promised_Trini

its a blog...who cares what this guy thinks. its just one opinion of many by someone that no one should really care about anyway. the only reason the TC posted it is because what he wrote about fits what he wants others to believe in to...biased post.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

That is the most RIGHT I have ever seen anyone. Its impossible for him to be more right, oh I rather like the idea of being able to mount a rail gun on my car

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

[QUOTE="deangallop"]

LucidJubilation

its a blog...who cares what this guy thinks. its just one opinion of many by someone that no one should really care about anyway. the only reason the TC posted it is because what he wrote about fits what he wants others to believe in to...biased post.

Actually I'd take this one guys opinion over anything Anonymous has said ever. He speaks more for gamers than Anonymous ever will.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

The world is going to need hackers, you all just don't realise it yet.

That said it doesn't need the kind of hackers we have nowdoing the things they are doing.

There's no point explaining more, the people that understand what I mean understand and everyone else will just scratch their heads and argue against anything you say in some kneejerk reaction to the word hacker.

Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

sony made a mistake, did something wrong and unethical.

geohotz exploited it for his own benefit and to be popular.

anon guys jumped into the fray to liberate the ignorant peasants and make them aware of their rights while actually they don't give a bloody f*** about rights and just wanted to feel important for once.

Nobody did the right thing, so why are people only hating on anon? Because PSN is down becoz of them. That irritates me. Basically everyone here is singling out anon to hate on because they took 'teh PSN' away.

All three deserve equal hate. Sony is just as responsible for this as geohotz as anon imo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Sony didn't make any mistake at all. They where just protecting their product. That is 100% within their rights and the law is on their side. If you want to fight Sony you're going to have to fight the law aswell.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Comes down to integrity. Can you do the right, lawful thing all the time? Or do you fall into self serving? This is why militaries exist. People cant be counted on to not cross boundaries.
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Another-World

Sony didn't make any mistake at all. They where just protecting their product. That is 100% within their rights and the law is on their side. If you want to fight Sony you're going to have to fight the law aswell.

Crossel777
Sorry but I wasn't talking about what Sony did AFTER geohotz hacked the ps3...i am talking what sony did BEFORE that. (otherOS blah). They denied a fraction(however small) of people an advertised feature by removing the otherOS feature. I don't know what the law says about that, but it sure as hell ain't right in my eyes.
XcoyoteX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XcoyoteX
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

The world is going to need hackers, you all just don't realise it yet.

That said it doesn't need the kind of hackers we have nowdoing the things they are doing.

There's no point explaining more, the people that understand what I mean understand and everyone else will just scratch their heads and argue against anything you say in some kneejerk reaction to the word hacker.

1080pOnly

:)

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Crossel777

Or fight Sony legally if you're that confident you have the moral and legal high ground;) Hiding behind maskspretty much says everything about how right you know you are.

It's actually amazing what you're allowed to do if you bother reading up on it (or know someone studying law as I do :))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Another-World
Sorry but I wasn't talking about what Sony did AFTER geohotz hacked the ps3...i am talking what sony did BEFORE that. (otherOS blah). They denied a fraction(however small) of people an advertised feature by removing the otherOS feature. I don't know what the law says about that, but it sure as hell ain't right in my eyes.

Where was it advertised? And even if it was, the ToS clearly states it can be taken out at any time. Fail on their part for not reading simple guidelines. They also took it out cause hackers found a potential exploit with it that would of led to the same state the PS3 is in now. It's completely within their rights. You don't 100% own the PS3. Freedom doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you please and thats final. Can't follow that? Jail time brah.
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Another-World
[QUOTE="Another-World"][QUOTE="Crossel777"]

Crossel777

Where was it advertised? And even if it was, the ToS clearly states it can be taken out at any time. Fail on their part for not reading simple guidelines. They also took it out cause hackers found a potential exploit with it that would of led to the same state the PS3 is in now. It's completely within their rights. You don't 100% own the PS3. Freedom doesn't mean you can do whatever the hell you please and thats final. Can't follow that? Jail time brah.

The TOS basically states that sony has the right to take away any service. PSN falls in that category. yet I don't think people would care much for the TOS should sony decide to stop PSN. hypocrisy? BTW, a TOS is much like a no-copyright-infringement-intended disclaimer. Everybody uses it, but it doesn't stand very well in the court of law, as many copyright infringment cases tell you. If the otherOS feature had a hole in it, then it should have been patched or corrected or updated. Not done away with. EVEN if I sony was lawfully within their rights to do what they did, it was clearly unethical. Imagine urself as somebody who bought it for the otherOS feature, or at least somebody for whom the otherOS feature was pretty important. ARE you telling me you wouldn't be angry if they just left you high and dry? Bascially, you paid your money for nothing, your only mistake being that you didn't read the Terms of use. Which hardly anybody reads anyway. Answer truthfully, did you read the TOS from page to page when you bought the ps3? Do you read the long as hell EULA whenever you install a software? Please don't lie.
skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts

I'm sure whoever is responsible for the "outside intrusion" was "inspired" by people like "Anonymous" which makes you culpable in my books.

My... what a very Jack Thompson-like argument...

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

I agree with this guy.

Why people think they can jailbreak the PS3 and not have it lead to piracy and online cheaters are morons.

NOBODY payed for other OS. MANY payed for a free online gameing experience. I think its silly that people are trying to profit off of something they never cared about and I think its idiotic that this all led to bringing down a service 90% of users do care about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Answer truthfully, did you read the TOS from page to page when you bought the ps3? Do you read the long as hell EULA whenever you install a software? Please don't lie.Another-World

You might be right, I didn't read that TOS/EULA and I never have and many people probably haven't as well but that doesn't mean those rules don't exist. I'm willing to accept them either way. I realize that I don't fully own that console, I only own it to a certain extent. If someone bought the PS3 solely for Linux then I don't know what to say. PS3 is a gaming console more than it is a personal computer. There are plenty of other better options out there and perhaps even cheaper to install linux onto.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]

Filthybastrd

Got any arguments or are you just feeling insulted because it hurts your anonymous feelings?

Strong language yes, immature? explain. A moron? He just explained that although he strongly feelsa certain way, he realizes that abiding to the set rules of societyis enforced by authorities for a reason: Protecting us from ourselves in a certain sense.

What is it then? Overly harsh cyber pranks? Do you know what the definition of terrorism is?

Why not? is there any difference in method and action besides it being virtual? Actually there is, Al Qaeda has significantly larger balls.

Ok, I'm going to run through this carefully, since you asked for arguments whilst someohow completely missing the ones I'd already made. I'll skip the color coding, also.

So, once again:

This guy is a prick He wants really badly to shove a gun-barrel up the ass of some members of a certain group, oh but wait, there's a law against that, and err, I can't, and you guys sure are lucky, etc.

It's a pathetic attempt on his part to appear "badass" (hurr durr, I could just kill these ****ers if not for the law) whilst simultaneously imparting a moral lesson, which isn't based in morals at all, but rather on the idea that we should follow the law because it is there, and it is good for us. That's childish, idiot thinking.

If you follow a law simply because the law exists, without considering the reasoning behind it, without testing it against your own sense of morality, then you aren't a free moral agent, you're a tool.

For example, let's say I driving down the road I want to turn around, so I go up to a red light and get in the left-hand turn lane. Now let's say that the light remains red for some time, and no traffic is coming from the opposite direction.

Following this guy's reasoning, it makes perfect sense to sit and wait at that red light for five, even ten minutes, because there is a law against turning left at a red light, and it hasn't turned green yet. No matter that the light may be broken, or glitched, it's the law, man, and clearly it's there for my protection, to protect me from myself, even.

I don't know about you, but I'm not waiting. I'm going to check for cops, make sure no traffic is coming, and then I'm going to go, because I'm not a moron and I don't feel like waiting around for a light that isn't going to change. I'm not bound by the law, and I don't bind myself to the law; I choose to obey the law, and I choose to disobey the law, as I will. I make my own free, moral decisions, and I see that as being my responsibility, not the government's.

This metaphor applies nicely to the rest of our discussion.

Who is a terrorist? Does the government decide? Does Sony decide?

You want to tell me that a bunch of hackers taking down the network service of a private corporation are comparable to men who strap bombs to themselves and walk into the front doors of embassies, or onto city buses, and kill themselves and dozens of other people?

Is there a difference in method and action? Are you serious? Not even in a virtual realm are the two acts remotely similar.

Enemies of the state and of corporations are not automatically terrorists. Terms like "cyber-terrorist" are just propaganda phrases used to seperate "undesirables" from the rest of the populace.

Why, they're not regular citizens, they're bloody terrorists!

Almost makes it seem reasonable to imprison them, or shove rifles up their asses, doesn't it?

That's what happens when you allow the paranoid, fear-fueling vocabulary of Homeland Security departments (or secret police for that matter) to enter into your mind and claim a spot.

This guy, this tool who wrote that article, he's completely in line with that feed, he's tuned into it, to the degree that he seems incapable of thinking for himself.

Hell, look at you, man. One comment from me, and you've already accused me of being a member of "anonymous", despite not knowing me, and despite the fact that I'm a fairly regular poster on these forums, and at the very least am not some sort of fiend or obvious troll.

You tell me which of us is more gulity of hive-think.