System Wars Lounge v76 -- The Haunted and Holidays Edition!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#451 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@XVision84 said:
@drlostrib said:
@XVision84 said:

@zappat: That's what happens when you ban people for having an individual opinion. Free speech is a beautiful thing, folks ;).

...i mean we don't have free speech here either

GameSpot forums are as close to free speech as is reasonably possible for a mediated gaming forum. I haven't seen anybody get banned for simply disagreeing or stating their thoughts. It's gotten to the point where many users want mods to ban certain people but they won't do so because the trolls aren't committing any ban-worthy offenses. I would much rather have that than the alternative. After seeing how other forums operate, I definitely give the GS mods credit for being so reasonable and not power hungry.

Which is why we see shitposter like HenryTheFifth keeps making troll threads and yeah, I'm surprise he lasted this long. I guess the Cows are getting desperate for attention these days. It's really hard to get banned around here. The user gotta go to extreme measures to warrant a banned.

#452 Posted by DrLostRib (5005 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@XVision84 said:
@drlostrib said:
@XVision84 said:

@zappat: That's what happens when you ban people for having an individual opinion. Free speech is a beautiful thing, folks ;).

GameSpot forums are as close to free speech as is reasonably possible for a mediated gaming forum. I haven't seen anybody get banned for simply disagreeing or stating their thoughts. It's gotten to the point where many users want mods to ban certain people but they won't do so because the trolls aren't committing any ban-worthy offenses. I would much rather have that than the alternative. After seeing how other forums operate, I definitely give the GS mods credit for being so reasonable and not power hungry.

Which is why we see shitposter like HenryTheFifth keeps making troll threads and yeah, I'm surprise he lasted this long. I guess the Cows are getting desperate for attention these days. It's really hard to get banned around here. The user gotta go to extreme measures to warrant a banned.

That may be more due to a lack of mods, or mods that care to moderate. And I think a lot of them gave a lot of leeway to SW, even before it died

But read the actual SW rules, and there are a lot of things that are moderatable offenses, as well as in the GS code of conduct

Example:

Fanboy nicknames besides hermit, sheep, cow: These terms are the only accepted ones in System Wars as far a defining factions go. Anything else (ie, xbots, sheens, etc) will be moderated.

personal attacks are [ ] not allowed and will be moderated accordingly.

#453 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (19746 posts) -
@davillain- said:
@XVision84 said:
@drlostrib said:
@XVision84 said:

Despite HenryTheFifth making dumb threads, what can we do? Just flag him and then it will get the mods attention. I notice that some mods have been long absent (Chaz). I can understand this week as they do have daily lives. I could have been banned after my spat with Indzman and calling out his biased hatred of Nintendo. Also, the BS excuse of that pic of Brock Lesnar reading a hentai mag? I thought it was clean but was quietly erased.

#454 Posted by Mandzilla (4112 posts) -

Borg lined housecoats are the best!

#455 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@drlostrib: @FireEmblem_Man: Only active mods I always see here is just Xantufrog for the most parts and sometimes AbobeArtist. I guess all the most active mods just decided to call it quits and yeah, we all have daily life outside of gaming after all. I could never tell if flagging actually works or not, but I do know Henry has 12 karma (at the time of this post) though lol.

#456 Edited by uninspiredcup (33754 posts) -

**** me. Have to be off your tits to crowd-fund this guy.

Arrest

On December 10, 2018, O'Brien was arrested in Tampa for burglary on a house in the 4700 block of Windflower Circle near the Northdale Golf and Country and for assaulting a responding deputy. Reports showed that around 6:57 p.m., he entered a home without permission from its two occupants, who remain unidentified. After one occupant told him to leave, O'Brien pushed a woman to the ground, left the house and hid in the property's backyard until police arrived. A responding deputy gave him orders; instead of complying, O'Brien charged at the deputy with a knife. The deputy then tased him, taking him into custody afterward. He was booked into the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office on charges of burglary with assault or battery and aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, and was being held without bail. The burglarized home is in the same area of a golf course where a house fire broke out about the same time at 16311 Norwood Dr. where O'Brien was renting. It was not immediately clear if the fire was connected to his arrest.[17][18]

At O'Brien's court appearance on the morning of December 11, he wore an anti-suicide vest, with his wrists and ankles chained together. His bail was set at $50,000 and was told by a judge that he would need to pass a drug test to see if he could be bonded out of jail. O'Brien could face up to 30 years in prison just on the charge of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer with a deadly weapon. The burglary charge could see a fine of up to $10,000 and a maximum of life in prison.[19]

Flamethrowers and numerous weapons and ammunition were recovered inside O'Brien's home that had exploded. One neighbor said that he seemed "just like a regular neighbor. Get out of the car, go right into the house. That's about it." Another neighbor was terrified by the incident, but was thankful that the fire crew came in time to put the flames out before spreading to other homes. The owner of the home that O'Brien broke into, who did not want to be shown on camera, said that he thought that O'Brien was hallucinating when he spoke to him about the "rapture" and claimed, "someone was after him." The homeowner added that O'Brien seemed scared and at one point even hid in his closet.[20][21]

A crowdfunding campaign for O'Brien was launched by drummer Paul Mazurkiewicz's wife Deana. She stated that he "does not have insurance, and lost everything that he owns. These funds will help him get back on his feet with the regular much-needed necessities like clothing, a roof over his head, and other daily life necessities that are needed."[22]

O'Brien was released from jail on December 14 after posting bond.[23] The day after the fire subsided, fire marshals found a massive amount of weapons, locked safes and potential explosive devices in O'Brien's possession. The list of weapons found included 50 shotguns, 10 semi-automatic rifles (including a couple variants of AK-47s), two Uzi-style rifles and 20 handguns. Other materials found were a number of locked safes, two flamethrowers, thousands of rounds of ammunition that were stored in boxes, several other weapons with their parts and three skulls. One of the weapons in particular was a sawed-off shotgun (off to about an inch past the stock) that was illegal to possess. The search warrant that was issued did not say that O'Brien had the proper paperwork for his cache.[24]

Cannibal Corpse issued a statement on their Facebook page expressing their respects for O'Brien, but would not release any further information regarding the incident, and that he "is getting the help he needs and appreciates the love and support from Cannibal Corpse fans around the world." They then said that O'Brien is looking forward to a future return to the band and that their tours and shows would continue as planned.[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_O%27Brien_(guitarist)#Arrest

#457 Edited by XVision84 (16252 posts) -

@drlostrib: @davillain-: Those could be contributing factors and yes that rule does seem rather unnecessary. Despite this, the way the mods are implementing the rules is something I like.

Henry, at worst, is an annoyance. I have fun with it so I don't mind. He isn't doing any harm, but the alternative (Resetera) I would argue does harm.

#458 Edited by watercrack445 (1675 posts) -

In red dead 2 online this guy kills me. Later I look at his username to see who killed me and I found out he has a whole posse with him. After getting killed again, I start to revenge kill. I think I got at least 2 or 3 players killed. There were bunch of npc in the way so it was hard to tell. I wished I could've killed more of them.

Another time, this player killed me and so I hunt him down and kill him two times.

Always carry a shotgun with you.

#459 Posted by UItravioIence (1201 posts) -

So hyped for the choose your own adventure Black Mirror movie on Netflix in an hour!

#460 Posted by uninspiredcup (33754 posts) -
Loading Video...

#461 Edited by super600 (32453 posts) -
@davillain- said:

@drlostrib: @FireEmblem_Man: Only active mods I always see here is just Xantufrog for the most parts and sometimes AbobeArtist. I guess all the most active mods just decided to call it quits and yeah, we all have daily life outside of gaming after all. I could never tell if flagging actually works or not, but I do know Henry has 12 karma (at the time of this post) though lol.

I am still around. I mostly mod in the background now whenever I am not busy with school. I don't usually go digging through system wars for something to moderate it. Sometimes something might pop up while browsing system wars that I need to moderate. I have not been focusing much on SW recently also.

#462 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@super600: Hey welcome back Super. Dude, you need to be more active here on SW again, I always enjoy you're post for the most parts. But in any case, how ya doing?

#463 Posted by uninspiredcup (33754 posts) -

God wish they'd just end the Simpsons, at this point it's just sad.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
#464 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45188 posts) -

We bagging on the mods who don't come to System Wars anymore? :(

I've been trying to increase my gaming time but on average this year I probably only spent 0-2 hours a week playing games.

#465 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer: Life isn't fare is it Stevo?

#466 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19746 posts) -
@davillain- said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: Life isn't fare is it Stevo?

Davillain- if you want to be a mod, be a mod. Just as long as you don't abuse your power

#467 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45188 posts) -

@davillain-: Nope.

Especially when I arrest someone for assualt with a deadly weapon (brass knuckles), and they do less than two weeks in jail.

#468 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19746 posts) -
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I've been trying to increase my gaming time but on average this year I probably only spent 0-2 hours a week playing games.

That's why you get a Nintendo Switch ;)

#469 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: What makes you think I want to be a Mod?

#470 Edited by uninspiredcup (33754 posts) -
@davillain- said:

If you select an image, hit ctrl+T, then hold shift+alt and drag the edge, your signatures will no longer be elongated.

#471 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45188 posts) -

@FireEmblem_Man: I'd hate to have it end up collecting dust like my PS4.

#472 Edited by super600 (32453 posts) -
@davillain- said:

@super600: Hey welcome back Super. Dude, you need to be more active here on SW again, I always enjoy you're post for the most parts. But in any case, how ya doing?

Got into a business program at a university I am now going to and have been busy mostly with that. I seem to do meh so far in that program because one ridiculous hard class and one class I did okay in. I do browse reddit a lot more but I do still come on here

#473 Posted by Horgen (120645 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I hardly get any time to play games the week I got my son. Not that I care that much, as I prioritize going to the gym above it.

However with Mini SNES that might change.

#474 Posted by verbtex (9155 posts) -

We need a new lounge. Anyone have ideas? I'm pretty retired.

#475 Posted by XVision84 (16252 posts) -

@verbtex: System Wars Lounge v77 -- The Verbtex Is Pretty Retired Edition? :P

#476 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19746 posts) -
@XVision84 said:

I second this

#477 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19746 posts) -
@davillain- said:

Well, you're complaining that the Mods are never here. You're always active, and you're at least balanced and follow the rules. I nominate you as a mod, you can takeover Chaz's place since he's not here anymore.

#478 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

Hey I like that! Make it happen Verbtex.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#479 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (13659 posts) -

Happy new year!

#480 Posted by DaVillain- (36969 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Happy new year!

#481 Posted by uninspiredcup (33754 posts) -

Some guy on the front-page suggested Hollywood might be abit racist, and now everyone is defending racism lol

#482 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (45188 posts) -
@horgen said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I hardly get any time to play games the week I got my son. Not that I care that much, as I prioritize going to the gym above it.

However with Mini SNES that might change.

Glad I have my own equipment, this is the worst time of the year to go to the gym. Haha

#483 Posted by Horgen (120645 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Glad I have my own equipment, this is the worst time of the year to go to the gym. Haha

I am somewhat social at the gym. Getting a few gym bros there now. No idea what their names are, neither do I care. We talk only about lifting :P

#484 Posted by Chutebox (44666 posts) -

@horgen: ugh, you're one of those who take up equipment because you're yapping too much

#485 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19746 posts) -

@Stevo_the_gamer: Every time I go to a gym, the bench press is always full. Glad that I got a set at home now.

#486 Posted by verbtex (9155 posts) -
@XVision84 said:

Ask and you shall receive, this lounge is going to be retired.

#487 Posted by Horgen (120645 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@horgen: ugh, you're one of those who take up equipment because you're yapping too much

You're always welcome to lift while I rest in between sets. Switching between different weights during bench and squat is easy. There is room enough for two set ups on the dead lift platform.