System wars are back, but only on PC, which are you? Team epic or team steam?

• 64 results
Posted by Ant_17 (11736 posts) 28 days, 20 hours ago

Poll: System wars are back, but only on PC, which are you? Team epic or team steam? (81 votes)

Have both 40%
Only stean 49%
Only epic 9%

We all have a PC so let's see where we stand.

I'm steam only cause I have some games on it and epic has nothing for me right.

#1 Posted by lundy86_4 (52338 posts) -

I only get the free games on Epic. As a storefront, it's being seen more and more as a trojan. It queries a lot of stuff that it really shouldn't, and it's why i'm not uploading any payment info to them.

#2 Posted by watercrack445 (1334 posts) -

team chaos

#3 Edited by sakaiXx (5159 posts) -

Only Epic cause why not.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#4 Posted by SuperfluousReal (88 posts) -

Team Sega.

#5 Posted by ahmedkhan1994 (712 posts) -

Both, i dont care how many launchers try to "compete" with steam, as long as the game is still playable on PC.

#6 Posted by XVision84 (15572 posts) -

I'd rather flush my PC down my toilet than join team epic.

#7 Edited by Gatygun (1385 posts) -

Not on any of those boats.

I only use steam if there is absolute no other way to get it. Same will count for Epic.

#8 Posted by with_teeth26 (9425 posts) -

ah yes, Stean, that famous PC gaming platform.

seriously though, I think competition is good for Valve, but Epic are being pretty shitty in their methods. so far I've only played Exodus on the Epic launcher and I got a review copy so they haven't seen a cent from me. I'll probably break down for Outer Worlds though.

I'm not boycotting the Epic launcher but I really hope Valve get their shit together and find a way to stop Epic eating their lunch.

#9 Posted by mazuiface (776 posts) -

I have epic because Unreal Tournament is a fantastic game. I use Steam for pretty much everything else besides indie games that get an individual distribution.

#10 Posted by I_P_Daily (11023 posts) -

I'm on team Console and we're just sitting back laughing at hermits :)

#11 Edited by uninspiredcup (32121 posts) -

Valve -

• Created the greatest FPS of all time -
  • Supported modding to an unprecedented extent -
  • Spent decades building up the most feature rich store in existence -
  • Champions free-speech -
  • Supported pc gaming when everyone declared it dead or dying -
  • Allows fans to profit of their own work -
  • Innovative technoligy -
  • Revolutionized indie gaming -
  • Listens to user feedback -
  • Attractive leader -

Epic -

• Declared pc gaming dead and abandoned it on a whim for Xbox -
  • Stopped development of Unreal Tournament 4 at the drop of a hat when Fortnite made money -
  • Specifically said they don't give a shit about the consumer -
  • Instead of years of and years of building a service is trying to win quick, easy and dirty by bribing morally dubious Publishers -
  • Claims consumers don't matter, when said game (Fortnite) that got them to where they are now, was a ripoff, of a Arma 2 mod -
  • No features -
  • Spyware -
  • Get's praised by Polygon for being against freespeech -
  • No sex games (regressive) -
  • Not actually a competition to Steam, as it's aims are completely different, do not add, reduce the consumers options -
  • Leader looks like Jeffrey Dahmer -

Overall, Valve is the best in the world. And supporting Epic, is supporting evil.

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (27345 posts) -

Neither. I’m a console gamer.

#13 Edited by Ant_17 (11736 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: some people want to see the world burn I guess?

#14 Edited by Juub1990 (8385 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Lol Xbox gamers aren’t in a position to laugh at anyone.

#15 Posted by Vaidream45 (1761 posts) -

Team Steam/GOG here

#16 Edited by DrLostRib (4734 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

I only get the free games on Epic. As a storefront, it's being seen more and more as a trojan. It queries a lot of stuff that it really shouldn't, and it's why i'm not uploading any payment info to them.

Yeah, i've only used it for the free PC games, and luckily checking out for the free game doesn't require any payment on record or I probably wouldn't even do it

Only really played subnautica out of the games they've given out

#17 Posted by SOedipus (11357 posts) -

GOG mostly now. I haven’t launched Steam in months. But I’ll take Steam over Epic any day.

#18 Edited by I_P_Daily (11023 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:

@i_p_daily: Lol Xbox gamers aren’t in a position to laugh at anyone.

Actually we do, because all the complaints from you hermits over the Epic store and the games that are going over to it, that you guys are so mad that to teach Epic a lesson you are going to pirate the games & punish the devs instead, its downright fucking hilarious :)

#19 Posted by I_P_Daily (11023 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Valve -

• Created the greatest FPS of all time -
  • Supported modding to an unprecedented extent -
  • Spent decades building up the most feature rich store in existence -
  • Champions free-speech -
  • Supported pc gaming when everyone declared it dead or dying -
  • Allows fans to profit of their own work -
  • Innovative technoligy -
  • Revolutionized indie gaming -
  • Listens to user feedback -
  • Attractive leader -

Epic -

• Declared pc gaming dead and abandoned it on a whim for Xbox -
  • Stopped development of Unreal Tournament 4 at the drop of a hat when Fortnite made money -
  • Specifically said they don't give a shit about the consumer -
  • Instead of years of and years of building a service is trying to win quick, easy and dirty by bribing morally dubious Publishers -
  • Claims consumers don't matter, when said game (Fortnite) that got them to where they are now, was a ripoff, of a Arma 2 mod -
  • No features -
  • Spyware -
  • Get's praised by Polygon for being against freespeech -
  • No sex games (regressive) -
  • Not actually a competition to Steam, as it's aims are completely different, do not add, reduce the consumers options -
  • Leader looks like Jeffrey Dahmer -

Overall, Valve is the best in the world. And supporting Epic, is supporting evil.

Oh shit it would be funny if Epic bests Steam as where would you herms go then?

#20 Posted by Juub1990 (8385 posts) -

@i_p_daily: That’s rich coming from a guy who’s bought a system that’s been worthless for over 5 years lol. Maybe one day PC will stop getting its own exclusives along with better versions of Xbox One games.

By all means keep "laughing" at this fabrication that is of no consequence though.

#21 Posted by NoodleFighter (10066 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: You also add in Tim Sweeney being a hypocrite when 2 years ago he talked about being against exclusives and here we are with him trying to snag as many games as possible.

I remember years back when Epic was ending their exclusivity with Xbox and started making Fortnite PC gamer made an article with this edited picture of Marcus and the Brumak with Marcus being PC gamers and Epic being the Brumak and the Brumak saying "Sorry can we be friends".

I think that picture perfectly fits whats going on right now. Shame I can't find it.

#22 Edited by jeezers (2438 posts) -

I have both, but I hope Epic keeps pushing, steam has gotten lazy and needs a little kick in the ass, I dont care that the epic launcher doesnt have some features steam does, the only features I use anyway on launchers are friends list, messenger, and rarely refunds. Everything else steam offers idgaf about.

I only downloaded steam 15 years ago because they made me if I wanted to play valve games, which I did because valve made great games.

They dont really make great games now.

Source 2 what happened to it?

I'm pretty sure whats left of valve is making dota 2 and 200$ CSGO knife skins fulltime.

I look at steam the same way I look at Wal-Mart or EA, just another money hungry souless corporation.

Epic might be that too, but they are offering a better cut to developers, If epic can push to stop valve from killing its self that would be great. Gaben really screwed the pooch, its disgusting

#23 Posted by speedytimsi (868 posts) -

I have both but I barely logged onto Epic after I stopped playing Fortnite

#24 Posted by Jag85 (13248 posts) -

Epic fail!

Team Steam all the way!

#25 Edited by madrocketeer (6183 posts) -

Neither. Right now, they both suck - just in different ways. Steam is full of garbage, Epic IS garbage.

@jeezers said:
Source 2 what happened to it?

It's already here. It's just wasted on a MOBA and a card game.

#26 Posted by jeezers (2438 posts) -

@madrocketeer: wow dota 2 and artifact are using source 2... Did not realize that and I played a good 500 hours of dota 2, thats pathetic

I wish pc went back to physical, these digital stores are a waste imo

#27 Posted by madrocketeer (6183 posts) -
@jeezers said:

@madrocketeer: wow dota 2 and artifact are using source 2... Did not realize that and I played a good 500 hours of dota 2, thats pathetic

I wish pc went back to physical, these digital stores are a waste imo

Nah, I don't miss physical. For me, the digital stores just need to not be garbage.

#28 Posted by Yams1980 (3371 posts) -

I think Gabe Newell could probably beat up whoevers in charge over there at Epic so my choice is Steam.

#29 Edited by WitIsWisdom (5125 posts) -

No one cares about where you download your game from.

#30 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14920 posts) -

Both are digital stores. Don't give a damn from where I'm getting the game. Just wanna have some fun as gamers are supposed to do.

#31 Posted by rmpumper (504 posts) -

**** Epic, I just hope that this will push Gabe into making games again, after all, Valve has announced Source 2 years ago (Gabe said that HL3 would be the first S2 game back when HL2 was released) and then just forgot all about it for some reason.

#32 Posted by jahnee (3980 posts) -

Cyberpunk 2077 won't be on Epic Store so what's the point :P Shit wait, Metro Exodus is still on the Epic Store. Good thing I play it on my Xbox one X, even if Raytracing and PC settings look very inviting.

#33 Posted by jeezers (2438 posts) -

@Yams1980: gabe couldnt even beat his own meat if he wanted too

#34 Edited by Dark_sageX (3357 posts) -

I'm in neither "Teams", however Steam is undeniably the better service, they have far more features and a far greater library of games. I don't mind epic getting exclusivity deals its just that epic is not as good as steam and the reason why developers are making their games exclusive to epic is because of greed, and I'm always consumer first.

#35 Posted by I_P_Daily (11023 posts) -

@Juub1990 said:

@i_p_daily: That’s rich coming from a guy who’s bought a system that’s been worthless for over 5 years lol. Maybe one day PC will stop getting its own exclusives along with better versions of Xbox One games.

By all means keep "laughing" at this fabrication that is of no consequence though.

LOL you seem frustrated that I like Xbox and your opinion means nothing to me, I will be here laughing at you like I am now.

Don't forget to wear your pirate hat when you steal games lol.

#36 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6616 posts) -

Team both.... ON A MAC Muhahahahhaaha

#37 Posted by Howmakewood (5754 posts) -
@jahnee said:

Cyberpunk 2077 won't be on Epic Store so what's the point :P Shit wait, Metro Exodus is still on the Epic Store. Good thing I play it on my Xbox one X, even if Raytracing and PC settings look very inviting.

Cyberpunk might be on Epic Store, it just wont exclusively be there

#38 Posted by IgGy621985 (5486 posts) -

I have both. Bought Metro Exodus on Epic Store. Sure, the store is missing some features, but I don't use a majority of those missing features on Steam anyway...

#39 Edited by R4gn4r0k (30519 posts) -

Store Wars

#40 Posted by Juub1990 (8385 posts) -

@i_p_daily:

>Your opinion means nothing to me

>Spends time spouting his own opinion

You like what you like. I just find the hypocrisy very puzzling.

#41 Edited by Kali-B1rd (1921 posts) -

They're shops... why would I give a shit either way?

Anyone call this a "war" is an absolute dumbass... and a hypocrit.

60% voted for steam really? BOTH is the only sensible answer, grow up.

#42 Posted by gameofthering (11251 posts) -

I have both but only use Steam (and GoG)

#43 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43539 posts) -

Both, but boycotting Epic (have not bought anything, and I installed it before they went all exclusive on us) for the time being. I use GoG, EA Origin, and Ubisoft store (for Division 2).

I've made my stance on Tencent-Epic's corrupt, dishonest, dirty, mean, and deceitful business tactics pretty clear on these boards I think.

For the record, Steam doesn't have a monopoly, it's just the most popular (probably because it's the best option we have). People love to hate on winners, though. Underdog syndrome or something.

I would love to see something even better than Steam come out because, while I like Steam, better is better and I owe them no loyalty. But Tencent-Epic is not going about this the right way.

#44 Posted by True_Link (243 posts) -

Only epic so PC fannies can cry

#45 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (703 posts) -

I've bought games for most of the major launchers from most of the big stores at some point, and I'm not keen to turn this into a question of taking one of two sides. Basically I'll go first to whoever's acting in my interests, and that includes not moneyhatting exclusives. Competition's good and PC could probably do with more of it, but that s*&^ doesn't help me one bit. Epic probably has enough backing to compete on prices alone, and the fact that they don't tells me what I need to know, for now.

#46 Edited by DaVillain- (35463 posts) -

I "Have both" Epic & Steam running on my PC and just about Origin, Uplay, Bethesda, GoG, Blizzard.Net. Steam, Epic, I buy games to play and I have no love for Steam anyways despite Steam is my main HQ of games though. Look, if I see a game I cannot buy anywhere else but only through Epic, I'll go to Epic and that's all you need to know.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#47 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4210 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

Store Wars

Steam = Galactic Empire

Epic = The First Order

Pirates = Rebel Alliance

#48 Edited by Pedro (33568 posts) -

Its a PC so I have both. People bitching about this is going to have rough time when streaming games become the norm.

#49 Posted by phbz (4212 posts) -

The great App Wars.

#50 Edited by sovkhan (1233 posts) -

None of them!!!

Both suck big time!!!