System Shock 2 vs. Half Life

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
yeah this argument has probably been already made long ago but I'm just going to throw it out there. I see a lot of similarities between half life and system shock 2 and can't help but think that someone ripped off the other. If you've played both you might have some idea of what I'm talking about. And don't get me wrong, I love both games, but comon. What do you guys(and gals) thinks?
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
i liked hl more but it's mainly just preferance i don't think either is an overall better
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Personally, I like Half-Life more.
System Shock 2 is by no means bad, but I prefer Half-Life.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts
Half life but SS comes in very close behind. For me they are two totally different games and each were in a class of there own at there respective times.
Avatar image for KrazyKenKutarag
KrazyKenKutarag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 KrazyKenKutarag
Member since 2007 • 1905 Posts
Out of the two, I'd say HL. I felt HL had better pacing, more varied gameplay and more interesting enemies. The atmosphere and dialogue were amazing for both of them.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19063 Posts
Half-Life was a better game, but System Shock 2 had better gameplay...if that makes any sense.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Half life cause it was more fun
Chofee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chofee
Member since 2004 • 194 Posts

This one is a classic example of apples and oranges. But, even so, i'll indulge your curiosity..

For me it's ss2.. Both are perfect in their own way, but the atmosphere itself in ss2 is unparalleled.. The only game that that was able to invoke genuine feelings of fear and anxiety without the use of cheap scares like the ones in doom3.. Even though i find HL the best FPS i've ever played, and 1 of the best games ever, i prefer ss2..

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Half Life in my opinion.

Everything about that game was fantastic.

System Shock was also completely exellent, but its flaws were more noticeable.

Bot genre defining games.

PullTheTricker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 PullTheTricker
Member since 2006 • 4749 Posts
Half-Life
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
id say half life but only because of all the multiplayer mods that came later, the comminity for valve was and still is amazing
Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts

A lot of people here haven't even heard of or played System Shock 2. Maybe that's because Half Life came out before and dominated the FPS. It got so much attention that the awesome game known as SS2 was kind of in HL's shadow.

Both games are pretty damn different and but also amazing.

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
Overall I think Half-life is better. It has more variety and a better story(which revolutionized the fps genre). But the atmosphere and setting of system shock 2 is groudbreaking and surpases half-life(only beaten now by bioshock).
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

System Shock 2.

HatFried

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HatFried
Member since 2006 • 704 Posts

This is a toughie.

I personally felt that System Shock 2 had the better plot and features while Half Life had much more streamlined gameplay. I'm going to say Half Life by the tiniest of fractions.

the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the1stfandb
Member since 2007 • 2397 Posts

Half life but i like ss2 story more.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skrat_01

Gotta say though.

Shodan is a much more memorable character than anything or anyone in Half Life

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
HL is almost unplayable today, it has aged very badly. SS2 on the other hand still is excelent even today. so SS2 easily
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I never got the big deal about Half-Life, probably because I never played it back when it was new. (I did pick up System Shock 2 when it was new, though...best impulse purchase EVER!) Seriously, what's so revolutionary about it? Is it because it wasn't a find-the-keys-and-the-exit affair that FPSs of years past tended to be, but a sort of narrative that unfolded in a first-person perspective? Something I take for granted in modern shooters?
Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
ive never played SS2, but I must say HL is a very amazing game. Also all the mods that came form it make it even more amazing. (CS, TF, DOD etc.)
1q3er5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1q3er5
Member since 2003 • 759 Posts
Love both, they both came out almost around the same time. One was really underrated (SS2) Halflife blew me away. But after playing SS2, halflife didn't seem that great. SS2 one of my alltime favorites. Story, soundtrack, atmosphere, crazed monkeys (lol) zombies, robots, turrets, rpg elements. SS2 was soo ahead of its time.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skrat_01

HL is almost unplayable today, it has aged very badly. SS2 on the other hand still is excelent even today. so SS2 easilyAdrianWerner
I beg to differ.

HL1 still plays well today, its only the visuals that have aged terribly - the quake 1 engine is doing no favours.

Shock 2 didnt age that well visually either, but the confined claustraphoic design of the game seems to cover up the visual weaknesses - in contrast to HLs outdoor areas and flat backgrounds.

Uhcip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Uhcip
Member since 2004 • 1927 Posts

i dont see too many similarities

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

HL is almost unplayable today, it has aged very badly.AdrianWerner

Not true, I just played it for the first time a year ago and got blown away.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]HL is almost unplayable today, it has aged very badly.Gunraidan

Yeah he tried to justify his reason for making his preference seem better. Though I'd also go for System Shock 2. I love the story (almost anything plotwise is better than Half Life), I love the atmosphere, and the gameplay, whilst tedious at times, was awesome. And I don't think anything has been as scary.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Yeah he tried to justify his reason for making his preference seem better.FrozenLiquid

Well he said it aged very badly when I said that I played it and thought it aged very well.

jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts
Damn, that's a tough choice.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I suck at both
dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#29 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts

Look at you, Hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
[QUOTE="Gunraidan"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]HL is almost unplayable today, it has aged very badly.FrozenLiquid

Yeah he tried to justify his reason for making his preference seem better. Though I'd also go for System Shock 2. I love the story (almost anything plotwise is better than Half Life), I love the atmosphere, and the gameplay, whilst tedious at times, was awesome. And I don't think anything has been as scary.

not justification, just lack of rose colored glasses.FPS have evolved like hell since 1998. HL feels awfuly clunky, it has no story and preety bad level design. the gunplay aged like hell also. In comparision we haven't seen many SS2-like games after DeusEx. So that subgenre didn't advance so much as pure FPSes, unlike HL there are no new games of SS2 type that would put it to shame, especialy since the combat relied a lot on stats so it aged less than pure fps like HL

Jenova_Flare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jenova_Flare
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

yeah this argument has probably been already made long ago but I'm just going to throw it out there. I see a lot of similarities between half life and system shock 2 and can't help but think that someone ripped off the other. If you've played both you might have some idea of what I'm talking about. And don't get me wrong, I love both games, but comon. What do you guys(and gals) thinks?Shenmue_Jehuty

Sorry, I fail to see the similarities between both games. Could you list the ones that came to mind (other than the perspective)?

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01

Look at you, Hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

dlindenb2000

Shodan - one of the best characters ever.

I guess GLaDOS is a 'modern day' shodan eh.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"][QUOTE="Gunraidan"]

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]HL is almost unplayable today, it has aged very badly.AdrianWerner

not justification, just lack of rose colored glasses.FPS have evolved like hell since 1998. HL feels awfuly clunky, it has no story and preety bad level design. the gunplay aged like hell also. In comparision we haven't seen many SS2-like games after DeusEx. So that subgenre didn't advance so much as pure FPSes, unlike HL there are no new games of SS2 type that would put it to shame, especialy since the combat relied a lot on stats so it aged less than pure fps like HL

Half Life doesn't feed off story. It feeds off atmosphere. It had no story in 1998, and it didn't magically get one ten years later. Stories don't age. As for level design -- though it has changed recently in modern times, Half Life was at the top back in its heyday, and you can tell it apart easily from the other FPSes that came out at the time. Gunplay aged 'like hell'? I admit though HL has sub-par gunplay, does some sorted of limited weapon system make HL seem aged 'like hell'? Am I wearing rose-coloured glasses for still being amazed at how advanced the A.I was back in the day? How three-way fights happened right when you were there? Or how well orchestrated the scripted events were? If anything, SS2 feels more aged than HL, and I prefer SS2 over HL, or over most any other game for that matter. Just because the subgenre didn't have its own personal progression, does not mean it's not subject to trends. System Shock 2 didn't exist in a vacuum. In fact, the audio/text logs in that game were a spin on the old "text-before-mission" cliche everyone was riding. But don't believe me, seriously. According to one most revered poster, I like to "cover my ears and pretend reality doesn't exist". Might sound familiar, I dunno.
skeleme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#34 skeleme
Member since 2010 • 208 Posts

I must say I enjoyed Half-Life more.

System Shock 2 was still awesome, but Half-Life was more fun.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
I like HL a lot but SS2 is better to me.
hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

Wow, 2008 was over two and a half years ago. Time really does fly.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Two entirely different games. One is a bare-bones cinematic shooter focused on narrative, the other is an in-depth role-playing/shooter hybrid focused on atmosphere and tension. Though, for my preference of the two, see my sig.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
System Shock 2.