System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition dev confirms fully fledged VR mode after earlier tease

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Wonderful news for the growing and around forever VR enthusiast community that is 100% not a gimmick, classic horror title System Shock 2 will get bla blaing. VR.

System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition dev confirms fully fledged VR mode after earlier tease

Aiming for "really remarkable" VR experience.

Nightdive Studios has confirmed its upcoming enhanced edition of seminal sci-fi adventure System Shock 2 will include a fully fledged VR mode, after the developer teased virtual reality support for the game earlier this year.

Nightdive initially announced System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition back in 2019, and while the studio is yet to confirm the exact enhancements it'll feature on release, we do know it'll include improvements to co-op play and employ the same engine used to create its enhanced version of System Shock 1 - which added the likes of 4K support, achievements, and improved controls.

As for VR support, that was teased back in January, when, after a period of silence regarding System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition's progress, Nightdive finally popped up on Twitter to assure fans of the project's continued existence, and, more surprisingly, to reveal video footage of what appeared to be work-in-progress VR support.

And now, speaking to IGN, the developer has finally confirmed a VR version is not only in the works, it's being handled by its own VR-focussed development team.

The studio says it initially began exploring VR for its new Enhanced Edition during the process of reverse-engineering the missing libraries for System Shock 2. When it was clear the idea was viable, the studio began development in earnest, drawing inspiration from Valve's Half-Life: Alyx, which it says has "just become essential in creating that feeling that you're there".

Nightdive's ultimate goal is to deliver a "really remarkable, built from the ground up VR experience" for System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition, and the studio says both single-player and multiplayer modes will be fully playable in VR. Addtionally, cross-platform play means one person will be able to tackle the challenges in VR while playing co-operatively, and another can join in using a traditional screen on a different machine.

Currently, Nightdive's VR mode is still at the prototype stage and the studio anticipates it'll be added to System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition sometime after launch.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

🤮🤮🤮

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

🤮🤮🤮

Quite literally.

I'm sure I'll have to get used to VR at some point, but right now, a churning stomach isn't all that immersive for me.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Okay, this and HL: Alyx are starting to make me seriously want to buy a headset.

System Shock 2 VR. It's either going to make me poo my pants or puke my lunch. Either way, something's coming out of one orifice or another.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Just another reason to stay away from this garbage heap of a game.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

One of my favourite games in VR, oh my. I hope they do a proper good job on the VR and not half arsed effort like Skyrim/FO are.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup

@pelvist said:

One of my favourite games in VR, oh my. I hope they do a proper good job on the VR and not half arsed effort like Skyrim/FO are.

Yea. Shit like that (and Borderlands VR) are what give it a bad rep. Lazy ass cash-grabs with minimal effort. Reselling a game you already bought with shit that could be patched in.

Thankfully the community turned it around, it's them, not Bethesda that basically made the VR elements. Even updated it to replicate Alyx.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

It's always funny to see the VR haters cry it's ok to dislike it obviously but I find it silly how quick people are to dismiss it without even trying it. I love reading those VR reddits from hater to believer after their first VR experience.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@warmblur: I've tried VR more then once, nice gimmick and had 5 minutes of fun with it before I wanted to go back to real gaming.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

holy moly, even better yet, I have never played this game

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 commander
@vfighter said:

@warmblur: I've tried VR more then once, nice gimmick and had 5 minutes of fun with it before I wanted to go back to real gaming.

did you try any big games (like skyrim) , with a playspace that's setup right, and a good headset (like not psvr)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By commander
@uninspiredcup said:
@pelvist said:

Yea. Shit like that (and Borderlands VR) are what give it a bad rep. Lazy ass cash-grabs with minimal effort. Reselling a game you already bought with shit that could be patched in.

Thankfully the community turned it around, it's them, not Bethesda that basically made the VR elements. Even updated it to replicate Alyx.

yeah right, those are simply my two favourite games in vr, skyrim and fallout and yes borderlands 2 vr. I don't understand what the problem is with it, these are big production games.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By commander

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@i_p_daily said:

🤮🤮🤮

Quite literally.

I'm sure I'll have to get used to VR at some point, but right now, a churning stomach isn't all that immersive for me.

you're not doing it right, you need a headset with proper tracking, proper framerate, and use teleport to move, don't use free locomotion (which is just the same as how you run around in an fps on a console/pc)

since the whole world is moving aroudn with you, it's only normal you get motion sick, well normal for about half the population, some are immune, some are easily trained.

I can't be trained and I'm not immune, moving around with an analog stick in a vr game means I get uncomfortable in my stomach in seconds, 1 minute and it's starts to get really annoying.

3 minutes is close to barfing for me and having to lay down for a halfhour

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup

I hope thief 1/2 get the same treatment. That would be very morish.

Eidos own the rights to it though.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46276 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I just came in to say this. There are no other real fps stealth games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

Cool cool. Hope VR wont be their focus though.

How's the game coming along, btw? Can we play it soon?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

And there wont be for a long time, it seems. Makes me wonder why no indie dev takes up the torch.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Litchie said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

And there wont be for a long time, it seems. Makes me wonder why no indie dev takes up the torch.

There is Gloomwood, which looks to be made by a competent dev.

But yeah the stealth genre has vanished in AAA gaming. In AAA games stealth means pressing the crouch button.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@vfighter said:

What headset did you try?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I just realised, coop SS2 in VR 😮

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Wait they are working on SS2 Remake? What the hell happened to SS Remake? Seems like they give up on it after multiple failed attempts.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online

@pc_rocks said:

Wait they are working on SS2 Remake? What the hell happened to SS Remake? Seems like they give up on it after multiple failed attempts.

SS remake will be getting a demo soon.

SS2 is getting a remaster, which Nightdive is famous for, their work on remasters has received universal praise so far.

Both projects seem to be going fine.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@pc_rocks said:

I lost interested in SS remake. it seem a fan made remake with very low budget. I liked earlier version that was dark and gritty and based on UE5 but fans criticize it so much they back to blue color again.

lost interest in SS3 to be ever released.