SWTOR is EA's "largest ever" project

This topic is locked from further discussion.

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

"BioWare's Star Wars: The Old Republic is the most expensive game ever created at EA.

The publisher's chief banker Eric Brown described the MMO as the "largest ever development project, period, in the history of the company".

He said a packaged game usually costs around $30m to make at EA, but "any MMO costs significantly more than that".

When asked by a member of the Wedbush Morgan Securities audience in New York today how the cost compared to World of Warcraft, Brown said Blizzard spent "$100 million, perhaps more" to ship the game in 2004.

"That's lifetime [research and development] to actually ship it and obviously then there's maintenance subsequent to ship and expansion packs," Brown added.

These days, WOW makes around $100m a month from subscriptions. EA no doubt hopes SWTOR will recoup costs in a similar fashion.

"MMOs are sizeable undertakings," quipped Brown.

EA is steering Star Wars: The Old Republic towards a spring 2011 release. Take that with a pinch of salt, as these things slip."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/swtor-is-eas-largest-ever-project

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

I hope it's gonna be succesful.That's a lot of money.

I do remember playing SW:Galaxies though :P

Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
There is a LOT riding on this game. I have extremely high hopes for it, it's an MMO I will actually play.
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]I hope it's gonna be succesful.That's a lot of money. I do remember playing SW:Galaxies though :P

Boooo, you can't compare Galaxies and this.....booooooo I'm on the hope train right now, lets see where it goes.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

I'm excited for this game. It looks to be very interesting, so hopefully it does well.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lto_thaG
[QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]I hope it's gonna be succesful.That's a lot of money. I do remember playing SW:Galaxies though :P

Boooo, you can't compare Galaxies and this.....booooooo I'm on the hope train right now, lets see where it goes.

You can't compare Galaxies to anything,it was thrash in its own league. Just saying it's also a MMO in the SW universe.
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
I hope they pull it off. The whole "fully voiced" MMO idea was something I thought was great about levels 1-20 of Age of Conan.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 doobie1975

WoW taking around $100 million a month is insane. no wonder they want a slice of that big fat juicy money pie

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ibacai
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="Ibacai"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]I hope it's gonna be succesful.That's a lot of money. I do remember playing SW:Galaxies though :P

You can't compare Galaxies to anything,it was thrash in its own league. Just saying it's also a MMO in the SW universe.

Yeah, I understand. I'd just not like this game to launch with the stigma that is Galaxies.
solidgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 solidgamer
Member since 2005 • 7542 Posts
I guess that Blizz will release news of there new MMO in 2011.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
Let's hope they will upgrade the graphical engine with that kind of money. For a 100+ millions mmo, it looks terrible, worst than WoW at release...
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lto_thaG

Yeah, I understand. I'd just not like this game to launch with the stigma that is Galaxies.Ibacai

I think the whole Galaxy can agree with that.

Hur hur.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ibacai
Let's hope they will upgrade the graphical engine with that kind of money. For a 100+ millions mmo, it looks terrible, worst than WoW at release...Franko_3
Are you talking art style or technical? Because one is subjective and the other means you're blind.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
so about the same cost as GTA4. its a big gamble. obhiously any company would kill for blizzards success. roughly 10 million people paying 14 quid a month or so.....its not only a hell of alot of income..its also reliable and predictable and constant. its good to see that EA are taking this very seriously. they also have alot of experience with MMOs (ultima online..which is still going) so they will be able to help bioware with the design (in this case..the publisher will actually proove useful for dvelopment....now theres a first :P) and business end of things. if this works and works well then EAs future is essentially assured. will it work? well before WOW was released.....everyone thought SOE would remian the alpha dog with everquest and everquest 2. they were supposed to remain the biggest player in the western MMO scene. look what happened. so thers a chance itll work.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
This might be the first MMO that I give an honest shot. Co-Op dialog trees seems interesting and Bio-Ware still has yet to put out a crappy game imo.
moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
Hopefully the dough gets racked in to conclude the KOTOR storyline then :D (no TOR =/= KOTOR 3 >:( )
Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ibacai
Hopefully the dough gets racked in to conclude the KOTOR storyline then :D (no TOR =/= KOTOR 3 >:( )moose_knuckler
They are going back to Taris and hinted heavily at tying in the first two games to this one.
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

Well it is the only game in the near future that has the recipe to be able to take on WoW.

They just better not release it right after Cataclysm comes out, that would only hurt em.

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts

[QUOTE="moose_knuckler"]Hopefully the dough gets racked in to conclude the KOTOR storyline then :D (no TOR =/= KOTOR 3 >:( )Ibacai
They are going back to Taris and hinted heavily at tying in the first two games to this one.

Don't kill the dream, man. :'(

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
Every new thing I see about this game looks so promising. I want it sooooooo bad. Could change the current mmo model forever.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#21 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
Oblivion MMO > KOTOR MMO
KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KristoffBrujah
Member since 2005 • 1860 Posts

So far, so good. I probably won't be picking it up, but hope for Bioware's success in bringing down the evil empire (Activision).

Even just the halving of WoW's revenues, combined with ruin of their band games and bastardization of CoD, could be enough to severely damage Activision.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
Let's hope they will upgrade the graphical engine with that kind of money. For a 100+ millions mmo, it looks terrible, worst than WoW at release...Franko_3
you realize that the more graphically intense the mmo the fewer ppl will actually be able to play it. this is why all blizzard games are technologically primitive. technical graphics are one of the least important things to long term mmorpgers.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
Oblivion MMO > KOTOR MMODiviniuz
honestly there's way too many generic fantasy setting mmorpgs. at least SW:TOR will have it's own niche.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
I do hope that this game will be able to compete against WoW in the long-term, since it's nearly impossible that any game can kill WoW.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Have they showed raiding? Or pvp yet? I haven't seen anything special about this game yet, the whole VO thing is really not going to make an MMO great it needs awesome pvp/pve. I hope it owns but It'll prbably fail, Blizz's next MMO is going to be beast for sure.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Oblivion MMO > KOTOR MMODiviniuz

HAHAHA good joke.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

We'll see.

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning didnt realy do all that well.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Have they showed raiding? Or pvp yet? I haven't seen anything special about this game yet, the whole VO thing is really not going to make an MMO great it needs awesome pvp/pve. I hope it owns but It'll prbably fail, Blizz's next MMO is going to be beast for sure.

Eddie-Vedder
If it showed raiding and PvP just like any other MMO, and focuses blindly on PvP and PvE just like any other MMO, what would be special about that? Blizzard's next MMO, while it may be attractive to some people, will more likely than not just be a copy of WoW. BioWare has stated since the beginning and throughout all the demonstrations that this game will be focused on storyline. I'm not exactly sure how that may work, but it sounds interesting and definitely unique.
Racer_XLR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Racer_XLR
Member since 2008 • 21664 Posts

Have they showed raiding? Eddie-Vedder

No.

They have talked about it but they haven't shown anything yet. As far as I know. . .

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

GhoX
If it showed raiding and PvP just like any other MMO, and focuses blindly on PvP and PvE just like any other MMO, what would be special about that? Blizzard's next MMO, while it may be attractive to some people, will more likely than not just be a copy of WoW. BioWare has stated since the beginning and throughout all the demonstrations that this game will be focused on storyline. I'm not exactly sure how that may work, but it sounds interesting and definitely unique.

Dude do you play MMO's? How is a good storyline going to hold gamers interest? MMO gamers spend a boat load of hours in those virtual worlds, they need a really good base for pvp and pve, the storytelling aspect even if amazing won't be enough. My first year playing WoW I'd play like 8 hours a day, I had like 3 months playtime in 1 year, this because of how much the community sucked you in in terms of pvp, pve and just plain fooling around, this game will need great gameplay ideas, focusing too much on story will probably backfire on them. I hope they release an awesome vid showing pvp and pve tho. I'd be happy to get "owned" :P
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

I just hope the playerbase is like EQ and nothing like WoW. I view WoW as a quarantine zone for the slow people of the world.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

I do remember playing SW:Galaxies though :P

Lto_thaG
Which version......they revamped it so many times it was so different (and horrible at that) everytime they changed it. They better pray it's nothing like Galaxies (at least when they completely revamped everything for casual gamers (making Jedi a starting class.......that alone has to be the biggest goof I've ever seen)
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#34 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

We'll see.

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning didnt realy do all that well.

chaplainDMK
That's because it was rushed by EA so they had to cut content and the coding was sloppy.
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
If this game flops, then Bioware will be done for.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Every new thing I see about this game looks so promising. I want it sooooooo bad. Could change the current mmo model forever.WithoutGraceXII
How will voices change the MMO model forever?
OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

and it will still get creamed by wow

not saying its a good thing but its just fact

doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 doobie1975

I just hope the playerbase is like EQ and nothing like WoW. I view WoW as a quarantine zone for the slow people of the world.

Fizzman
so your saying im a moron for playing WoW
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
There is a LOT riding on this game. I have extremely high hopes for it, it's an MMO I will actually play.Hahadouken
Agreed