mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Yeah I love the PS2, it's my favourite console of all time. Still had a lot of disc read errors and lens problems with it though. Cartridges are the future.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mandzilla said:

@foxhound_fox: Yeah I love the PS2, it's my favourite console of all time. Still had a lot of disc read errors and lens problems with it though. Cartridges are the future.

They should have started with the PS2 Slim top-loader. That was pretty much the best console ever. Small, easily modable (to play imports!) and very quiet.

CrunchyMix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 CrunchyMix
Member since 2018 • 23 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man:

For almost the entire first year it was out, a DVD player was pretty much all it was good for. I bought a PS2 at launch and didn’t own a game until Silent Hill 2 came out in the fall.

CrunchyMix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 CrunchyMix
Member since 2018 • 23 Posts

@foxhound_fox:

A lot of the DREs could be fixed by opening up the sustem and cleaning the laser. I’ve done it twice with my launch PS2 and it still works perfectly to this day.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Amazingly GBA did that much in USA but only sold 82m worldwide compare to NDS 154m. Hopefully consoles in the current gen is not as front loaded as GBA, sold well in all territories and can have long legs like the ps2.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 foxhound_fox

@crunchymix said:

@foxhound_fox:

A lot of the DREs could be fixed by opening up the sustem and cleaning the laser. I’ve done it twice with my launch PS2 and it still works perfectly to this day.

I tried the cleaning method, didn't work. I just relented and bought a Slim. Was the best purchase I could have made.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@davillain-: At the end? The PS2 was on top since day one.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@KBFloYd: the standard PS4 does 1080p at 60fps.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

Maybe it's the early hour, but I read the subject line "Switch tracking PS2" in my best internal "Hollywood stereotypical Native American" voice:

"Hmm...PS2 tracks. Two, three days old."

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#60 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

So, you say that Switch DOES have a chance surpassing PS4?

lol wut? Out of my reply what exactly gave you that idea? Oh, you have a reading comprehension deficit. Color me impressed!

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

I might buy a Switch Pro one day if Nintendo quits bullying little guys in Court.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Vatusus: got it from your corporate slave logic. PS3 was slow out of the gate, then surpassed the 360 prior the beginning of gen 8. So Switch can surpass the PS4 prior the release of PS5 and Scarlet.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@zmanbarzel: lol.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Switch doesn't have long term legs. The PS2 had everything and was also a cheap DVD player

LOL right.... PS2 sold just because it was a cheap DVD player

and the switch doesn't play DVDS, blurays, Netflix, have an internet browser.....so yeah he's still right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Vatusus: got it from your corporate slave logic. PS3 was slow out of the gate, then surpassed the 360 prior the beginning of gen 8. So Switch can surpass the PS4 prior the release of PS5 and Scarlet.

And as I clearly pointed out, the PS3 still had strong 3rd party support, something the Switch definitely wont have. Good luck surpassing the PS4 with only Nintendo exclusives and niche Japanese titles supporting it...

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MarkAndExecute
Member since 2012 • 450 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man:

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@davillain- said:
@svaubel said:
@davillain- said:

Hmmm, didn't the original Wii outsold the PS2, right?

It had a stronger start in the US than the PS2, but Im pretty sure the PS2 outsold it by the end of their lifetimes. Wii dropped off pretty fast for its last couple years on the market. And globally its 101million for Wii vs 155million for PS2

Ain't that something, PS2 at the end turns out to be the most popular gaming console of it's time, I always thought the Wii could actually give PS2 a run for it's money but hey, at least it was close in the end.

Honestly, the real reason to buy a PS2 over the GameCube and OG Xbox was the fact that it was an affordable DVD Player. Especially in Japan, it was the DVD Player to get and ate up the market.

To be fair, the PS2 had a much higher software tie in ratio than the GC and Xbox too, so ppl on average bought more games for PS2 than GC and Xbox. I don't know why ppl keep bringing up the "cheap DVD player" argument...I mean, you could also say the DS sold so well was cuz ppl either kept constantly trying to replace their missing DS's (I've personally lost 2, so I went with the new DS Lite since I may as well upgrade from the old one) or re purchasing new iterations. How many versions of DS's were actually out there so the install base for the DS surely must be a lot less than 150+ mil.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MarkAndExecute

@foxhound_fox said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Switch doesn't have long term legs. The PS2 had everything and was also a cheap DVD player

More like "Disc Read Error"

I myself bought two because my fat PS2 had that problem. I never had to buy a second Nintendo device because of hardware failure.

Well, everytime Nintendo came up with the new version of the 3DS, I went and replaced my old one with the updated one. I actually bought the 3DS like 4 times, one of which cuz I lost mine so I had to buy another one. Also, when the new 3DS came out, I went ahead and replaced my old one, which I'm sure plenty of other ppl did so perhaps the 3DS installed base is a lot lower than what the total lifetime sales suggest.

Same argument can be applied to the original DS and the Switch. A Switch is much easier to lose than a PS4 seeing how its a portable so I wouldn't be surprised if ppl had to replace their lost Switch for a new one, thereby skewing the Switch's install base.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MarkAndExecute

@sakaixx said:

Amazingly GBA did that much in USA but only sold 82m worldwide compare to NDS 154m. Hopefully consoles in the current gen is not as front loaded as GBA, sold well in all territories and can have long legs like the ps2.

But how many people had to replace their GBA's or DS's cuz they lost theirs? Portables are very easy to lose. People want to bring the PS2 only selling cuz it was a cheap DVD player as if that's supposed to make the PS2's sales figures less impressive. Yeah well, I could say the only reason DS sold so well was Nintendo kept rehashing the DS - DS Lite, DS XL, and DSi. I'm sure there are collectors who buy several versions of these systems including the limited edition ones like the Zelda and Pokemon themed ones.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Nice to see Nintendo doing well and it’s healthy for gaming. But I’m still not buying one as it offers me little I want in a gaming console/handheld.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@MarkAndExecute: Back then, DVD's were still new for those who grew up with VHS era, DVD Players only were very expensive compare to PS2 which can play games and play movies at the same time and making the PS2 cheaper to buy mainly for it's DVD drive and trust me, I it was a nice bonus to include it in the system. The same could be said for PS3 Blu-Ray drive.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 FireEmblem_Man
@Vatusus said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

And as I clearly pointed out, the PS3 still had strong 3rd party support, something the Switch definitely wont have. Good luck surpassing the PS4 with only Nintendo exclusives and niche Japanese titles supporting it...

You're right, 3rd party does matter. However, PS3 didn't rely on 3rd parties to catch up the Xbox 360, Sony fully invested in their first party IP's to ensure the PS3 was worth the price, and allowed MS fumble with Mattrick focusing so much on the Kinect and non-gaming related features like Netflix. It was titles like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, God of War, Beyond 2 Souls, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Nintendo did messed up with dropping the Wii too quickly, unable to cater 2 different markets, and failed to differentiate the Wii and Wii U. Yet they did a huge turn around with the Switch, and even if they'll lose Western 3rd party, they still have Japanese 3rd Party to back up with. Also, New Super Mario U Deluxe is coming next January, and 2D Mario has shown it can sell. I have not seen a Sony 1st party go above 30 million copies sold.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Vatusus said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

You're right, 3rd party does matter. However, PS3 didn't rely on 3rd parties to catch up the Xbox 360, Sony fully invested in their first party IP's to ensure the PS3 was worth the price, and allowed MS fumble with Mattrick focusing so much on the Kinect and non-gaming related features like Netflix. It was titles like Uncharted, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain, God of War, Beyond 2 Souls, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Nintendo did messed up with dropping the Wii too quickly, unable to cater 2 different markets, and failed to differentiate the Wii and Wii U. Yet they did a huge turn around with the Switch, and even if they'll lose Western 3rd party, they still have Japanese 3rd Party to back up with. Also, New Super Mario U Deluxe is coming next January, and 2D Mario has shown it can sell. I have not seen a Sony 1st party go above 30 million copies sold.

Dude, seriously... sigh

Both 3rd AND 1st party support matter. Never implied otherwise. The Switch wont live on 1st party alone. Hell we're already seeing a drough period on the Switch side and its sales have been declining as a result

However, in order for a console to sell all over the world, Japanese 3rd party support isnt enough. People want the big western IPs like RDR, GTA, The Witcher, Battlefield, CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc, etc, etc. If you honestly think japanese developers catter to the big market like western developers do, you're definitely delusional. And its not like the PS4 doesnt have big 3rd party japanase support also (Persona, nioh, Nier, etc). Sorry, but the swicth wont sell as much as the PS4 throughout its lifecycle, I predict little over half of its sales. It will win the japanese market, probably yes, but the japanese market is a grand of sand when talking worldwide sales. Hell, currently, in a United states week alone the PS4 sells more then a Switch month in japan, let alone EU, UK, South america, etc, etc.

Again, if you sheep really think the Switch will catch up with the PS4, you're definitely delusional

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 sakaiXx

@MarkAndExecute said:
@sakaixx said:

But how many people had to replace their GBA's or DS's cuz they lost theirs? Portables are very easy to lose. People want to bring the PS2 only selling cuz it was a cheap DVD player as if that's supposed to make the PS2's sales figures less impressive. Yeah well, I could say the only reason DS sold so well was Nintendo kept rehashing the DS - DS Lite, DS XL, and DSi. I'm sure there are collectors who buy several versions of these systems including the limited edition ones like the Zelda and Pokemon themed ones.

I imagine less than 100k at most. Not everyone is as careless as you. Also lets compare ds ds with psp, ds has multiple games selling over 10m compared to psp japan only exclusive MHp3rd at 5-6m. Its easy to see ds being a top console with very attractive games. I mean yeah I will never touch a mario game as I think they are very overmilked like cod but nintendodrones will buy them happily each year.

Also I bought multiple psp & vita systems. I collect them too.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 foxhound_fox

@MarkAndExecute said:

Well, everytime Nintendo came up with the new version of the 3DS, I went and replaced my old one with the updated one. I actually bought the 3DS like 4 times, one of which cuz I lost mine so I had to buy another one. Also, when the new 3DS came out, I went ahead and replaced my old one, which I'm sure plenty of other ppl did so perhaps the 3DS installed base is a lot lower than what the total lifetime sales suggest.

Same argument can be applied to the original DS and the Switch. A Switch is much easier to lose than a PS4 seeing how its a portable so I wouldn't be surprised if ppl had to replace their lost Switch for a new one, thereby skewing the Switch's install base.

But they aren't replacing it BECAUSE OF HARDWARE FAILURE. You clearly didn't read my whole post. Sony gave everyone with DRE a big middle finger and said "hehe, just buy another". Those fat PS2's had the darndest luck of always waiting until the warranty expired before dropping the DRE on the owner.

"Losing your DS" is not equivalent to Sony not replacing units with a fundamental design flaw.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@crunchymix: I had to adjust the white chips that adjusted the lengths height to keep my ps2 working on occasion

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 FireEmblem_Man
@Vatusus said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Dude, seriously... sigh

Both 3rd AND 1st party support matter. Never implied otherwise. The Switch wont live on 1st party alone. Hell we're already seeing a drough period on the Switch side and its sales have been declining as a result

However, in order for a console to sell all over the world, Japanese 3rd party support isnt enough. People want the big western IPs like RDR, GTA, The Witcher, Battlefield, CoD, Assassin's Creed, etc, etc, etc. If you honestly think japanese developers catter to the big market like western developers do, you're definitely delusional. And its not like the PS4 doesnt have big 3rd party japanase support also (Persona, nioh, Nier, etc). Sorry, but the swicth wont sell as much as the PS4 throughout its lifecycle, I predict little over half of its sales. It will win the japanese market, probably yes, but the japanese market is a grand of sand when talking worldwide sales. Hell, currently, in a United states week alone the PS4 sells more then a Switch month in japan, let alone EU, UK, South america, etc, etc.

Again, if you sheep really think the Switch will catch up with the PS4, you're definitely delusional

It certainly was delusional for cows to believe the PS3 would catch up to the Xbox 360, but it did happen.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Steppy_76

@FireEmblem_Man: ms wasn't aggressive enough with pricing and Sony paid a heavy price to break even...I think they were selling the ps3 for a loss nearly the entire gen.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

wierd they left the ps4 off.

still, that looks promising for switch. wii/ps2 both did 100M.

There wasn't a readily available number for PS4.

Also, I love how you're so much of "Nintendo" fanboy that you decided to act like Wii and PS2 sold anything close to similarly.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#79 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Silly sheep, lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Vatusus said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Dude, seriously... sigh

It certainly was delusional for cows to believe the PS3 would catch up to the Xbox 360, but it did happen.

Sigh* I feel like I'm talking to a wall here

No, it wasnt delusional. PS3 still had strong 3rd party support throughout the years to come, the Switch wont. Thats the big difference between both situations

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 xantufrog  Moderator

@Vatusus: clarify why you think the Switch doesn't have 3rd party support? I think you mean it has limited AAA multiplat support. It has great 3rd party support - most of its games are 3rd party games

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

The funny thing is most people don’t realize that the PS2 and Wii were both the weakest consoles power wise of their respective generations yet they won in sales. Power doesn’t sell consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@xantufrog said:

@Vatusus: clarify why you think the Switch doesn't have 3rd party support? I think you mean it has limited AAA multiplat support. It has great 3rd party support - most of its games are 3rd party games

Clearly I mean big AAA releases coming out at the same time as the other platforms do. People buy consoles to play those games as soon as possible. They wont be buying by the droves 3yo ports at full retail price yet with lesser quality, unless they really want portability, wich the vast majority (maybe outside of Japan) dont

Glitch-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Glitch-
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Strange. Everyone I practically know has a PS2. I don't know too many people IRL with a switch.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MarkAndExecute

@sakaixx said:
@MarkAndExecute said:
@sakaixx said:

I imagine less than 100k at most. Not everyone is as careless as you. Also lets compare ds ds with psp, ds has multiple games selling over 10m compared to psp japan only exclusive MHp3rd at 5-6m. Its easy to see ds being a top console with very attractive games. I mean yeah I will never touch a mario game as I think they are very overmilked like cod but nintendodrones will buy them happily each year.

Also I bought multiple psp & vita systems. I collect them too.

Where did you pull that 100k number? Or did you just make it up? Lots of parents buy their kids DSs so it HAS to be a lot more than 100k since kids tend to be very careless with their toys. So the DS install base isn't really impressive when you consider the amount of people careless or ones who repurchased their DSs to replace the obsolete versions. Like I replaced my original DS for the DS Lite since it had a better screen. Therefore there has to be more millions more people who did that same thing.

So? PSP still outperformed better than the 3DS, which sold a lot worse despite having several iterations - New 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS...not to mention several limited edition bundles like Yoshi and Pokemon.

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MarkAndExecute

@foxhound_fox said:

But they aren't replacing it BECAUSE OF HARDWARE FAILURE. You clearly didn't read my whole post. Sony gave everyone with DRE a big middle finger and said "hehe, just buy another". Those fat PS2's had the darndest luck of always waiting until the warranty expired before dropping the DRE on the owner.

"Losing your DS" is not equivalent to Sony not replacing units with a fundamental design flaw.

The reason why is irrelevant. How many people said they were interested in buying a Switch Pro after there were rumors? Many Nintendo fans expressed interest in replacing their Switch's with the newer model, so therefore the same has to be true with DS owners that replaced their obsolete model with the newer one.

For example, when the New 3DS came out. I sold my old 3DS at Gamestop and used the store credit to buy the new one. That means 1 customer = 2 sales. I'm 1000000% sure there's plenty more people that did exact same thing as me. Nintendo fans are very fanatical. Whenever there's a newer Nintendo system that's better, more enhanced, etc. They will in a rush buy the latest one.

I'm starting to believe that the number of DS's sold worldwide is actually a lot smaller than 150 mil...probably half of that, like 75 mil...esp when you take into consideration how many are repeat buyers, ppl who lost their DS's, etc. Kids are careless and they like Nintendo systems, so the number has to be a lot less.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 xantufrog  Moderator

@Vatusus said:
@xantufrog said:

Clearly I mean big AAA releases coming out at the same time as the other platforms do. People buy consoles to play those games as soon as possible. They wont be buying by the droves 3yo ports at full retail price yet with lesser quality, unless they really want portability, wich the vast majority (maybe outside of Japan) dont

you don't understand my point. You're still talking about "lesser" versions of AAA games. I'm saying most of the Switch's NON-AAA games are also 3rd party. It's got 3rd party coming out the wazoo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#88 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Great system doing great, glad to hear that. Hopefully next year has a better lineup than this year though.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#89 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

Recently sold mine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@cainetao11: You should buy it again

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 cainetao11

@charizard1605: hey buddy!!!

I don’t post/read sw much anymore but haven’t come across you in a long time here. How are you buddy? Hope all is well.

I will buy a switch again. I had to sell it while looking for work after finishing school last month. Just got a job at Ft. Hamilton in Brooklyn so I’ll be replacing my switch after Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@cainetao11: I actually came back today after a long time myself lol. Place seems to be a bit dead, sadly. That said, I do follow your Tweets!

and that’s fair, other life considerations always take priority. Grats on the job!

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Steppy_76

@MarkAndExecute said:

@FireEmblem_Man:

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@davillain- said:
@svaubel said:
@davillain- said:

Hmmm, didn't the original Wii outsold the PS2, right?

It had a stronger start in the US than the PS2, but Im pretty sure the PS2 outsold it by the end of their lifetimes. Wii dropped off pretty fast for its last couple years on the market. And globally its 101million for Wii vs 155million for PS2

Ain't that something, PS2 at the end turns out to be the most popular gaming console of it's time, I always thought the Wii could actually give PS2 a run for it's money but hey, at least it was close in the end.

Honestly, the real reason to buy a PS2 over the GameCube and OG Xbox was the fact that it was an affordable DVD Player. Especially in Japan, it was the DVD Player to get and ate up the market.

To be fair, the PS2 had a much higher software tie in ratio than the GC and Xbox too, so ppl on average bought more games for PS2 than GC and Xbox. I don't know why ppl keep bringing up the "cheap DVD player" argument...I mean, you could also say the DS sold so well was cuz ppl either kept constantly trying to replace their missing DS's (I've personally lost 2, so I went with the new DS Lite since I may as well upgrade from the old one) or re purchasing new iterations. How many versions of DS's were actually out there so the install base for the DS surely must be a lot less than 150+ mil.

The PS2 also enjoyed an advantage I doubt any other console ever will again...major 3rd party exclusives. GTA come out much later on xbox over the PS2, the EA sport games had no online until the last couple years. Back then the "exclusives matter" argument had a lot more weight because it wasn't just a handful of first party games, it was some of the biggest 3rd party ones too.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By cainetao11

@charizard1605: thanks brother. Yeah I pop in and lurk more than post these days. Today I’ve wanted to poke the cow in the corner a bit. Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@xantufrog said:
@Vatusus said:
@xantufrog said:

you don't understand my point. You're still talking about "lesser" versions of AAA games. I'm saying most of the Switch's NON-AAA games are also 3rd party. It's got 3rd party coming out the wazoo.

Jesus, must everything be said literaly now? Obviously I meant AAA 3rd party, ya kno, the big boys that sell consoles. As far as I checked, indies and lesser known IPs with A or AA budgets dont drive console sales

Also, the lesser doesnt need quotes. They ARE lesser versions, unless, as I've already said, you really care about portability

MarkAndExecute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MarkAndExecute

@Steppy_76 said:

The PS2 also enjoyed an advantage I doubt any other console ever will again...major 3rd party exclusives. GTA come out much later on xbox over the PS2, the EA sport games had no online until the last couple years. Back then the "exclusives matter" argument had a lot more weight because it wasn't just a handful of first party games, it was some of the biggest 3rd party ones too.

Ditto. If it was the case that loads of people were just simply using their PS2's strictly as DVD players and not for playing games, then why are there so many 3rd party exclusives made exclusively for PS2? Look at some of the best games that the Xbox or GC didn't have - FFXII, MGS3, Silent Hill 3, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari, Okami (at least during the PS2/GC/Xbox era, I know its on other systems now), Odin Sphere, etc. How much PS2 software was sold over its lifetime? Almost a billion.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@sakaixx said:

GBA's life was cut short. If Nintendo didn't panic after finding out about PSP and kept the GBA going, it would have sold well over 100 million.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 sakaiXx

@MarkAndExecute said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Ditto. If it was the case that loads of people were just simply using their PS2's strictly as DVD players and not for playing games, then why are there so many 3rd party exclusives made exclusively for PS2? Look at some of the best games that the Xbox or GC didn't have - FFXII, MGS3, Silent Hill 3, Kingdom Hearts, Katamari, Okami (at least during the PS2/GC/Xbox era, I know its on other systems now), Odin Sphere, etc. How much PS2 software was sold over its lifetime? Almost a billion.

*1.5 billion software sold for ps2

Ps4 is on track to reach 1 billion software sold too