Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#151 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@ad1x2 said:

Unless it offers the option to switch saves back and forth between the OG one and the Lite, I don’t see myself getting one. That’s one thing I liked about having two Xbox Ones, with cloud saves being useable on both of them.

As for no TV mode, while it may be disappointing to some, I wouldn’t put it past people figuring out a way to get TV mode working anyway depending assuming it’s not an outright hardware limitation preventing it. A software limitation could be overcome by the right people.

If you have a Nintendo Online Subscription, your backups should be able to transfer over.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I like the Switch, but that thing looks ultra cheap and generic.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#153 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: not for every game though. Nintendo considers that cheating.

AJuiceMatts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#154 AJuiceMatts
Member since 2019 • 88 Posts

surprised people on this board arent loosing their shit at the price, thinking it should be like 50$

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#155 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I don't really get the point with the Switch Lite, other than that it's cheaper.

If the Switch is too big to bring with you, so is the Lite as the difference in size is very little. If anything, I think they should've gone with even smaller, like PSP size or something.

I don't know.. guess this is a good option for those who want a slightly smaller version and never plan to play on a TV.. I'm just not sure there's many out there who want such a thing.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

I think Nintendo have looked at it with Pokemon to launch this year it definitely will sell bucket loads.

I'm sure a 3rd party company will release some kind of dock at some point.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

This seems...unnecessary.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Cows are afraid now! This price will sell hotcakes like mad!

Honestly, I don't see how Cows will be afraid of this cause it's kinda of a downgrade, but it's clearly for those who was waiting for a good reason to go buy a Switch for the right price and for the lowest price, they got their wish. Now, if this was all about "Switch Pro" then I can clearly see why Cows would be afraid lol.

I already love my original Switch, no point in buying this cause it's not aiming for me.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: For the games without cloud saves, you can move them via WiFi. Note that it's moving, not copying, but you can do it as much as you want.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

Not for me, but this is gonna sell like crazy during the holidays. I'm still waiting for the "Pro" Switch, if that is even still a thing.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#161 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@boxrekt said:
@blackfiragas said:

They should also make another lite that is only the dock. I'm not interested in buying a switch, but if I was I would only care about having it to a screen since I don't care about the mobility aspect.

Removing the docking functionality is kind of a blow to people who only care about playing the traditional way.

Portability is cool for trips or taking a plane somewhere, not something I really want to do while relaxing at home with access to my nice 50' 4k TV.

Obviously, the Switch Lite is intended for people who want to play exclusively handheld, but it does kinda defeat the entire point of the Switch brand.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

I'm sure they will. It's pretty typical of the Nintendo handheld's lifespan to have the cheaper/gimped alternative as their second revision. The second iteration is typically not for those that already own the system, but for those that are looking for a budget and "lite" features. The regular Switch is also not being discontinued. These versions will be sold side-by-side.

By the time they get to the final/definitive iteration, they're going to be going back to the hybrid setup. When there are certain game experiences that beg to played on a big screen, like Smash Bros., they're certainly not going to abandon it. Switch Lite will merely be the cheaper alternative for those who don't want to spend $300 on the regular one, and for those who just want a handheld. It does not mean the hybrid is going away.

You have cemented the point I was making. You described behavior that is typical for Nintendo's handheld. When Nintendo was given the opportunity for a revision the first thing they cut is the home console feature making exceptional clear that the handheld functionality is the core of their business. Home consoles are dead for Nintendo, because this Switch Lite is going to dominate officially replacing the 3Ds and the Switch. Mainly due to price factor and functionality.

I HIGHLY doubt they are going to scrap the hybrid premise. What I see is they're going to follow the 3DS lifespan. The 3DS had a cheaper model as well that stripped away the core gimmick of the 3DS - the 3D. They never discontinued the actual 3DS just because the 2DS was selling, it was just a cheaper alternative for those who did not care to use the 3D effect.

That is more or less what I'm seeing here, this is just a cheaper alternative that strips away the core gimmick of the Switch, for those that don't care to play in docked mode. I do agree that the Switch on a business standpoint, is being treated as a handheld, and with that said we are likely to get one or maybe a couple more iterations of the Switch down the road, and I'm certain one of the later models will be received as the definitive Switch model with full hybrid capabilities.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#163 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@jaydan said:

I HIGHLY doubt they are going to scrap the hybrid premise. What I see is they're going to follow the 3DS lifespan. The 3DS had a cheaper model as well that stripped away the core gimmick of the 3DS, the 3D. They never discontinued the actual 3DS just because the 2DS was selling, it was just a cheaper alternative for those who did not care to use the 3D effect.

That is more or less what I'm seeing here, this is just a cheaper alternative that strips away the core gimmick of the Switch, for those that don't care to play in docked mode. I do agree that the Switch on a business standpoint, is being treated as a handheld, and with that said we are likely to get one or maybe a couple more iterations of the Switch down the road, and I'm certain one of the later models will be received as the definitive Switch model with full hybrid capabilities.

The success of the hybrid will determine the fate of the Switch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@jaydan:

A means to phase out the disconnect between 3ds and switch, so that the next gen hardwares can be 100% unified.

What if they made this Switch Lite compatible with 3DS software. How many would sell.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 jaydan
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

I HIGHLY doubt they are going to scrap the hybrid premise. What I see is they're going to follow the 3DS lifespan. The 3DS had a cheaper model as well that stripped away the core gimmick of the 3DS, the 3D. They never discontinued the actual 3DS just because the 2DS was selling, it was just a cheaper alternative for those who did not care to use the 3D effect.

The success of the hybrid will determine the fate of the Switch.

Let's not forget that the Switch Lite was heavily rumored to be released this year based on leaks, and these rumors ran strong for the entire year. These rumors also stated a "Pro" Switch coming later on after the release of the Lite version.

A "pro" or definitive version of the Switch is something to expect, especially when you look at Nintendo's past handheld lineups, but a definitive version of the Switch can't come without the hybrid function.

I know rumors must be taken with a grain of salt, but many Nintendo rumors have come true recently too. Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash is a big one, and so far the Switch Lite rumor that specifically said it won't have TV function, is also now true. So let's see how the Pro version turns out when they decide to announce it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Pedro

@jaydan said:

Let's not forget that the Switch Lite was heavily rumored to be released this year based on leaks, and these rumors ran strong for the entire year. These rumors also stated a "Pro" Switch coming later on after the release of the Lite version.

A "pro" or definitive version of the Switch is something to expect, especially when you look at Nintendo's past handheld lineups, but a definitive version of the Switch can't come without the hybrid function.

I know rumors must be taken with a grain of salt, but many Nintendo rumors have come true recently too. Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash is a big one, and so far the Switch Lite rumor that specifically said it won't have TV function, is also now true. So let's see how the Pro version turns out when they decide to announce it.

The problem I see with a Pro version is that Nintendo would have three versions of the same console. If the newer one is stronger and remains hybrid, its going to equate to four platform configurations because of the dock and undocked modes of the original Switch. While I would like a stronger home console from Nintendo, a stronger Switch just seems more unlikely with the Switch Lite. The Switch Lite is a much stronger business decision than a stronger and newer Switch.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Pedro:

I think an updated core switch would just phase out the launch model.

Theres ps4 Pro and the Slim. Is the launch model even still available?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Pedro

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

I think an updated core switch would just phase out the launch model.

Theres ps4 Pro and the Slim. Is the launch model even still available?

Updated in the sense that its just a newer version with the same specs or like the Pro and X?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 jaydan
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

The problem I see with a Pro version is that Nintendo would have three versions of the same console. If the newer one is stronger and remains hybrid, its going to equate to four platform configurations because of the dock and undocked modes of the original Switch. While I would like a stronger home console from Nintendo, a stronger Switch just seems more unlikely with the Switch Lite. The Switch Lite is a much stronger business decision than a stronger and newer Switch.

But see, that is not the history of the Nintendo handheld. Nintendo handhelds generally push out 3+ versions before the end of its lifespan. A "Pro" Switch could be a matter of having better battery lifespan, loading power and internal memory for downloading. A Pro-Switch can come if/when they revamp the online store. A Pro Switch does not have to boil down to being a more powerful machine, but at least an improvement to certain to quality-of-life details that a Switch would definitely benefit. There's definitely room for a better Switch more than just making it more powerful.

I think a more powerful Nintendo console won't come until next gen.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Pedro

@jaydan said:

But see, that is not the history of the Nintendo handheld. Nintendo handhelds generally push out 3+ versions before the end of its lifespan. A "Pro" Switch could be a matter of having better battery lifespan, loading power and internal memory for downloading. A Pro-Switch can come if/when they revamp the online store. A Pro Switch does not have to boil down to being a more powerful machine, but at least an improvement to certain to quality-of-life details that a Switch would definitely benefit. There's definitely room for a better Switch more than just making it more powerful.

I think a more powerful Nintendo console won't come until next gen.

Fair enough. Still don't see it happening but I can be wrong. :)

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#172 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Nintendo is a handheld company first and foremost. Anyone that thinks the Switch is not a handheld is an idiot. Switch being a handheld is perfectly fine. Nintendo rules that space. They have more handhelds then anyone and no one has beat them at it. They should continue to produce handhelds with docking stations for home use.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Ohh, a portable machine is becoming more portable.... Ohh, the innovation!!!!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

I think a switch pro will launch next year alongside the new systems. Maybe spring/summer time depending on what new games come out.

My interest in the switch has always been portability rather than a home console so is perfect for what I want out of it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Pedro

@2mrw said:

Ohh, a portable machine is becoming more portable.... Ohh, the innovation!!!!

You make it sound as if someone said this move was innovative.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#176 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

This has owned all the sheep who claimed Switch was a handheld in graphics threads....... THIS Switch is a handheld..lmao

It truly is and ALWAYS was a handheld device. Just like an iPad or Samsung Tab. It is the same type of hardware. Consoles do not have screens or internal power supplies. Handhelds do. Nintendo fans should not feel embarrassed about this fact. Nintendo, Apple & Android smart devices are the reason no one else wants to enter this space. Both Microsoft and Sony has been ran out of it. The Switch IS a handheld.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 DaVillain  Moderator

@Coolyfett said:

Nintendo is a handheld company first and foremost. Anyone that thinks the Switch is not a handheld is an idiot. Switch being a handheld is perfectly fine. Nintendo rules that space. They have more handhelds then anyone and no one has beat them at it. They should continue to produce handhelds with docking stations for home use.

DaVillain still says it's still a console, taking it everywhere was just a nice bonus by Nintendo and even Nintendo themselves even said the Switch is still a console. Nintendo said it, not me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Pedro:

Improved with maybe a 1080p screen, with slightly more performance.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Pedro

@davillain- said:

DaVillain still says it's still a console, taking it everywhere was just a nice bonus by Nintendo and even Nintendo themselves even said the Switch is still a console. Nintendo said it, not me.

The Switch Lite isn't. :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro: Hey, I'm just going by Nintendo said about the original Switch and as for the Lite, it's just another option for those who want to buy Switch for dirt cheap.

Edit: i think Switch Lite is okay...ish, it's not something I wouldn't bother with though but I'm not the target consumer Nintendo is looking for.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@ajuicematts said:

surprised people on this board arent loosing their shit at the price, thinking it should be like 50$

Seeing as its only $50 more than a 2DS XL... These are not overpriced at all. I can see this being the handheld Christmas gift of choice this year thrown in a bundled game with it and it will make a killing.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#182 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@davillain- said:

@Pedro: Hey, I'm just going by Nintendo said about the original Switch and as for the Lite, it's just another option for those who want to buy Switch for dirt cheap.

Edit: i think Switch Lite is okay...ish, it's not something I wouldn't bother with though but I'm not the target consumer Nintendo is looking for.

Definitely it was designed for Japan, as well for kids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@FireEmblem_Man:

I disagree. I think Nintendo saw the demographic they hit with Pokemon GO and may try and bank off that. I know theres a convenience factor in that its on the cell phone, but it also is not uncommon for people to carry a phone + tablet/kindle.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#184 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I am actually more interested in buying a switch now because of the lite.The regular switch still costs like 380 dollars + tax in Canada,

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#185 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44106 Posts

I think it’s reasonably priced myself although I think it probably should have had $10 shaved off here in Canada as it’s $259.99 but that’s really too bad.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

Now release one that has no screen, no rumble, and no battery for 150 plz.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 R4gn4r0k

@faponte13 said:

Now release one that has no screen, no rumble, and no battery for 150 plz.

They already did, it was called Nintendo labo

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 dzimm
@Litchie said:
If the Switch is too big to bring with you, so is the Lite as the difference in size is very little. If anything, I think they should've gone with even smaller, like PSP size or something.

The screen on the standard Switch is on the verge of being too small. I think the Switch Lite crosses that line. Anything smaller, and onscreen text and icons would become illegible.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By dzimm
@davillain- said:
@Coolyfett said:

The whole point of the Switch is that it's not one or the other, it's both depending on how you use it.

Obviously the Switch Lite kicks that notion to the curb.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@dzimm said:
@Litchie said:

The screen on the standard Switch is on the verge of being too small. I think the Switch Lite crosses that line. Anything smaller, and onscreen text and icons would become illegible.

Nah, 5.5 is ok for a mobile. Though the 720p isn't the best, it is what it is. The Switch Lite form-factor looks basically like a slightly larger Vita (5.5 inch screen vs. 5.0 inch screen, 720p resolution vs. 544p resolution). The Vita actually felt sorta bulky too, maybe the Switch-lite being more modern will feel a bit lighter.

That being said, I really have no use for this thing. They need to announce a Switch-pro that can do 1080p and has a better screen, not a downgrade.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

The PS4 might not win another NPD until the PS5 launches.

Of course the salty Cows will say but, bu the Xbone will never win another one. Who cares because Xbox will be making the most money.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DaVillain  Moderator

@dzimm said:

The whole point of the Switch is that it's not one or the other, it's both depending on how you use it.

Obviously the Switch Lite kicks that notion to the curb.

I only if ever use the Dock mode if I was on vacation staying in a nice hotel is the only time I'll use Dock. Since it's launch, I been playing Switch on the go, but with the Lite, it's nice and all but I like having more options when it's presented and I'm not in the mood for buying another console I already have anyways. I would have bought the Lite if I didn't have a Switch already to be honest.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By 2Chalupas

@ajuicematts said:

Nintendo are cheap as shit, so of course this thing is probably overpriced relative to the components costs. That goes without saying with Nintendo. The Switch itself actually wasn't that outlandish at it's launch (price vs. performance not great, but not bad for a "gaming" tablet). But most likely Nintendo is positioning the Lite so they don't have to drop the price of the Switch. It seemed about that time in a console's life people probably start realizing that the Switch hasn't had a price cut. Now they push this cheaper version instead of a price cut. Not bad business so long as there are suckers willing to overpay for hardware.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

Meh. Is this the first time Nintendo announced a new hardware iteration that was actually a stripped down version of the original?

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@ajuicematts: agreed the price is way too high. No TV hook up, no detachable joy cons, no dock, no HD sound, smaller screen. Thing should be $150 at most and that’s still a little high.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#196  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Meh. Is this the first time Nintendo announced a new hardware iteration that was actually a stripped down version of the original?

it has better battery life and more RAM i think... plus a DpaD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Funny how on nintendos website they say, "...would make a great second switch for the household..."(something to that effect) yet what are the chances of letting users download their library to that second switch?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#198 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@heirren said:

Funny how on nintendos website they say, "...would make a great second switch for the household..."(something to that effect) yet what are the chances of letting users download their library to that second switch?

you can transfer your account plus your saves to another switch. however you cant have the same account on 2 switches at the same time.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 R4gn4r0k

@xxyetixx said:

@ajuicematts: agreed the price is way too high. No TV hook up, no detachable joy cons, no dock, no HD sound, smaller screen. Thing should be $150 at most and that’s still a little high.

What do you mean with no HD sound?

Is the sound on the regular Switch bad or something?

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By 2Chalupas

@R4gn4r0k said:
@xxyetixx said:

What do you mean with no HD sound?

Is the sound on the regular Switch bad or something?

No HDMI out, so the only sound is either through the portable built-in speakers or the headphone jack. Presumably this limits it to stereo output, no multi-channel surround.

Assuming that's what he means, the complaint is a bit duplicative to the "no TV hook up" argument, because it's not like you are going to hook your portable up to your home theater.