Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts
@Pedro said:

Home console gaming,abandoned. ?

But it's still the same system, meaning Nintendo is still only developing for one console. That is a victory.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

This has owned all the sheep who claimed Switch was a handheld in graphics threads....... THIS Switch is a handheld..lmao

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

@jcrame10: $200 dedicated handheld Switch + Pokemon Sword & Shield = Massive Holiday Sales

2019 is gonna be an easy win for Nintendo. I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch passes the Xbox One LTD sales this year... (which is a HUGE LOL at Lems)

It will, since i'm sold on this more than the normal Switch.

Put up my Switch for sale right now and getting that for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@goldenelementxl:

Yes but its beeing sold as a portable. It can technically still use all switch accessories, except the dock. It has all the options except tv mode.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts
@scatteh316 said:

This has owned all the sheep who claimed Switch was a handheld in graphics threads....... THIS Switch is a handheld..lmao

TBH it was those like myself, not a sheep, who claims Switch was a handheld mostly because IMO most buy it for the portability.

If that's true this lite could really kill Switch sales. We'll see I guess.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46266 Posts

Oh my word!

It has a D-pad :O

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Might pick up a few for the kids. The switch now is fantastic. They are super durable, even the screen. So hopefully these are just as good.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@Pedro said:

So, with Nintendo making hard push to handheld gaming only with the Switch Lite, are they going to totally abandon the home console market?

Chances are their third iteration will be the grand revision of the Switch, back with the hybrid concept.

Like remember what they did with the 3DS. They did the 2DS before they did the "New" 3DS that ended up being the definitive hardware for that lineup.

I really don't look at this as a console aimed for those that already own a Switch. I see it more as a console for those that are more specifically into handheld gaming. Believe it or not, consumers are really that stupid when it comes to these things. Look at how successful 2DS ended up being, when in reality you could have just turned off the 3D effect on any other 3DS. The same will happen here - even though you can technically play your current Switch handheld, it will be reassuring to know this one is dedicated to playing on handheld.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Not a fan of the colours... BUT this will sell like hot cakes at Christmas. Fingers crossed the Pro model comes out this year if it exists.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

It’s always been a hand held. Why make a cheaper version? Why not just make the real Switch hand held cheaper?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

A real d-pad, that's nice.

Nintendo not making it more comfortable to hold is not nice. Seriously. It's just flat? Do Nintendo's designers have hands?

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#62 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

It was meant to happen; But i have mixed feelings because they removed the features that were the most "revolutionary" things of the switch which was the hybrid thing, the option to detach the controllers to play with others and the hd rumble.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Looks nice, but no thanks. Just got the Switch a few months ago and quite happy with it. And I like the bigger screen.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@heirren: No, that's your confirmation bias. It's called a console whenever they talk about it.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@davillain-: I meant no new games coming to this device that I can’t already buy on my regular Switch I own.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 R4gn4r0k

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Not a fan of the colours... BUT this will sell like hot cakes at Christmas. Fingers crossed the Pro model comes out this year if it exists.

Yellow looks best imho

@adsparky said:

It was meant to happen; But i have mixed feelings because they removed the features that were the most "revolutionary" things of the switch which was the hybrid thing, the option to detach the controllers to play with others and the hd rumble.

I'm thinking it won't just be the HD rumble that was lost, it won't include any rumble.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@techhog89:

Lol no that was precisely the marketing campaign, from the very first ad.

3ds is also a console. It aint like they call it "portable"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#68 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@jaydan said:

Chances are their third iteration will be the grand revision of the Switch, back with the hybrid concept.

Like remember what they did with the 3DS. They did the 2DS before they did the "New" 3DS that ended up being the definitive hardware for that lineup.

I really don't look at this as a console aimed for those that already own a Switch. I see it more as a console for those that are more specifically into handheld gaming. Believe it or not, consumers are really that stupid when it comes to these things. Look at how successful 2DS ended up being, when in reality you could have just turned off the 3D effect on any other 3DS. The same will happen here - even though you can technically play your current Switch handheld, it will be reassuring to know this one is dedicated to playing on handheld.

I don't see Nintendo going back to home console especially with the release of this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 R4gn4r0k

@Pedro said:

I don't see Nintendo going back to home console especially with the release of this.

Their next model will be a more powerful Switch model aimed at TV play.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Definitely what I was looking for hopefully the uk price is near the $199.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Surprising no one yet is calling Doom on Nintendo

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#72 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

nice, but I'll wait for the enhanced version (if there is any)

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I like the turquoise color but as I already have a Switch for the family and use it basically exclusively as a TV based console, there is zero reason for me to buy one of the lite versions.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@scatteh316 said:

TBH it was those like myself, not a sheep, who claims Switch was a handheld mostly because IMO most buy it for the portability.

If that's true this lite could really kill Switch sales. We'll see I guess.

With Pokémon in the horizon and the launch date of the Switch Lite close to Pokémon's? No way, the strategy is on point. This will sell like hotcakes along with the new Pokémon.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Ant_17: why would you give up a device that can be used on TV and handheld for one that can only be used as a handheld??

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Pedro

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

And this is based on?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@jaydan said:

New 3DS was launched before the 2DS.

2DS was the final iteration of the 3DS.

So it looks like they'll do it in reverse order now.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Pedro said:

i wonder if they will go completely the other way: just a console that connects to a TV with more horsepower. but no dock, no screen etc...more just a normal console that can still play the same games.

it would make the switch, as a platform, quite diverse. almost PC like (desktops, laptops, devices like the GPDWin and so on).

as for the switch lite: that price....yeah this is going to sell quite well. get a pokemon bundle going for christmas and it should really shift some units. i was initially reading about it and thinking "that's a lot of cuts" but 199.99 is a nice number to be at.

the big issue is the confusion this may cause with some games that use the OG switches more unique features. i think in mario odyssey the tutorial mentions using motion controls to throw cappy for example...will that still work or are people going to be flicking their switch light and ending up confused?

other than that...and i will probably be in the minority here, but i think they should have made it a bit smaller. it looks like its the same size as a vita roughly which was a pretty big handheld. it's size reduction doesn't really make it any more portable than a normal switch.

or if they made it like the GBA_SP: that would have been cool.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

I'm sure they will. It's pretty typical of the Nintendo handheld's lifespan to have the cheaper/gimped alternative as their second revision. The second iteration is typically not for those that already own the system, but for those that are looking for a budget and "lite" features. The regular Switch is also not being discontinued. These versions will be sold side-by-side.

By the time they get to the final/definitive iteration, they're going to be going back to the hybrid setup. When there are certain game experiences that beg to played on a big screen, like Smash Bros., they're certainly not going to abandon it. Switch Lite will merely be the cheaper alternative for those who don't want to spend $300 on the regular one, and for those who just want a handheld. It does not mean the hybrid is going away.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Surprising no one yet is calling Doom on Nintendo

I think it already came out for the Switch.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Pedro

@jaydan said:

I'm sure they will. It's pretty typical of the Nintendo handheld's lifespan to have the cheaper/gimped alternative as their second revision. The second iteration is typically not for those that already own the system, but for those that are looking for a budget and "lite" features. The regular Switch is also not being discontinued. These versions will be sold side-by-side.

By the time they get to the final/definitive iteration, they're going to be going back to the hybrid setup. When there are certain game experiences that beg to played on a big screen, like Smash Bros., they're certainly not going to abandon it. Switch Lite will merely be the cheaper alternative for those who don't want to spend $300 on the regular one, and for those who just want a handheld. It does not mean the hybrid is going away.

You have cemented the point I was making. You described behavior that is typical for Nintendo's handheld. When Nintendo was given the opportunity for a revision the first thing they cut is the home console feature making exceptional clear that the handheld functionality is the core of their business. Home consoles are dead for Nintendo, because this Switch Lite is going to dominate officially replacing the 3Ds and the Switch. Mainly due to price factor and functionality.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@Pedro said:
@jaydan said:

You have cemented the point I was making. You described behavior that is typical for Nintendo's handheld. When Nintendo was given the opportunity for a revision the first thing they cut is the home console feature making exceptional clear that the handheld functionality is the core of their business. Home consoles are dead for Nintendo, because this Switch Lite is going to dominate officially replacing the 3Ds and the Switch. Mainly due to price factor and functionality.

But it's not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Pedro

@n64dd: It's not what?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Pedro:

I wonder how much a joycon costs to make vs what they sell for.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Pedro

@heirren said:

@Pedro:

I wonder how much a joycon costs to make vs what they sell for.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had a huge mark up.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@heirren: They sell joycons at a loss.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Pedro

@fedor said:

@heirren: They sell joycons at a loss.

Can you provide a link? I am very interested in how they are selling it at a loss at $70.

NerdRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#88 NerdRAGE
Member since 2019 • 35 Posts

I'm not impressed by this. You lose a lot of good features that define the Switch for that $100 you save. If a dedicated Handheld was what we wanted, I think it would have been better to just give us a new DS. That device really has the best formula for dedicated handheld play IMO.

I think what most of us expected/wanted was our current Nintendo Switch with improvements.

And sadly, that's not what this is.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Pedro

@nerdrage said:

I'm not impressed by this. You lose a lot of good features that define the Switch for that $100 you save. If a dedicated Handheld was what we wanted, I think it would have been better to just give us a new DS. That device really has the best formula for dedicated handheld play IMO.

I think what most of us expected/wanted was our current Nintendo Switch with improvements.

The most touted feature of the Switch has been portability. So, its odd reading that you think it loses a lot of good features.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@Pedro: https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-joy-con-cost-make/

2 year old article so maybe manufacturing costs have decreased.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#91  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

@Ant_17: why would you give up a device that can be used on TV and handheld for one that can only be used as a handheld??

Cause i have consoles for my TV and the Switch is shit on TV.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Pedro

@fedor said:

@Pedro: https://gamerant.com/nintendo-switch-joy-con-cost-make/

2 year old article so maybe manufacturing costs have decreased.

That's a bit crazy. From the article the Joy con cost $90 and everything else $167.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Pedro

@Ant_17 said:

Cause i have consoles for my TV and the Switch is shit on TV.

This is true.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#94  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Don't see the point, especially since you can just buy joycons with hori d-pads for $20 or less.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Just noticed it launches the same day as Links Awakening(i believe). Here comes those nintendo fanboys for that zelda limited edition.

NerdRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#96  Edited By NerdRAGE
Member since 2019 • 35 Posts

@Pedro said:
@nerdrage said:

The most touted feature of the Switch has been portability. So, its odd reading that you think it loses a lot of good features.

No, it's Hybrid nature is what's touted. The Switch needs both. Some games need both. Nintendo points this out in their announcement video.

I don't play any of my Switch games purely in TV or Handheld mode. The flexibility of having both is what makes the system what it is and I think it's great. But I feel that if you're going to go the route of a dedicated handheld, then the answer is the DS. If the route is a dedicated TV device, then I feel a pure console is the answer with a form-factor for suited hardware and features.

But as a Hybrid, the Switch absolutely delivers as it is and most of us are/were happy with that.

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#97 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

Slam dunk holiday sale purchase for a lot of parents. This will sell like gangbusters.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#98 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Switch (Original) will be discontinued I reckon, this lite version will vastly outsell it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Pedro

@nerdrage said:

No, it's Hybrid nature is what's touted. The Switch needs both. Some games need both. Nintendo points this out in their announcement video.

I don't play any of my Switch games purely in TV or Handheld mode. The flexibility of having both is what makes the system what it is and I think it's great. But I feel that if you're going to go the route of a dedicated handheld, then the answer is the DS. If the route is a dedicated TV device, then I feel a pure console is the answer with a form-factor for suited hardware and features.

But as a Hybrid, the Switch absolutely delivers as it is and most of us are/were happy with that.

In this forum the portability is touted. Nintendo release of the Switch Lite is most likely closer to their original intentions. The Switch Lite exist to replace the DS and possibly always been the desired replacement. There willingness to drop the hybrid nature and focus on the portability is more proof of this. This version is going to move more units than ever before because its the replacement for the 3DS.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Pedro

@Random_Matt said:

Switch (Original) will be discontinued I reckon, this lite version will vastly outsell it.

I believe this is exactly what is going to happen.