Switch is doing more damage to the industry than the Wii

• 66 results
FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Switch is doing more damage to the industry than the Wii (59 votes)

Agree 24%
Disagree 76%

Whereas the Wii didn't get ports of gamer exclusives, the Switch does and is now actively holding them back.

Persona 6 will probably be made with the Switch in mind when it released in 2029.

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

Can you explain how the Switch is damaging the industry?

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Naylord  Online
Member since 2006 • 1110 Posts

@Pedro said:

He just said: "

Whereas the Wii didn't get ports of gamer exclusives, the Switch does and is now actively holding them back."

It's actually not a bad point. I clicked assuming this would be a bullshit topic but that's a decent point. Not sure if the overall idea is true though.

Simonthekid7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#3 Simonthekid7
Member since 2014 • 981 Posts

Most games are not for Switch though. It does not get a lot of ports. NBA 2K and FIFA, and a few more. But they tend to be worse. More low resolution or worse frame rate and other things. I remember how Gamespot gave Wolfenstein Youngblood a kind of bad review for the Switch port when they reviewed the Switch port.

I think the Witcher III got a port which was like 600 p. And i think Witcher III was not developed with Switch in mind at all. It was like an afterthought: "Hey, maybe we could port it to Switch if we make it more low resolution?"

Like, how many Switch ports are there anyway? Resident Evil 8? Nope. GTA VI? Probably not? Street Fighter VI? No way! Any of the latest call of duties or assassins creeds? Hardly. There was a "coroudo vesoon" of some AC game only released in japan. (A cloud version, like Xbox Game Cloud or Google Stadia) Cyberpunk? Nope. Watch Dogs? skull & bones? no, no. NHL? No, poor switch owners do not even get to play NHL. But they DO get a whole bunch of awesome exclusive nintendo games.

I think if any console are holding them back, it would be Xbox Series S. Or Xbox One / PS4 still.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Disagree that the Wii had a negative effect on the industry as a whole.

Only made for some shit controls in Nintendo games during that era. If anything the Switch is the answer to the question "Did we need motion controls as the primary interface for a console?". And the answer is no, no we did not.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

Disagree that the Wii had a negative effect on the industry as a whole.

Only made for some shit controls in Nintendo games during that era. If anything the Switch is the answer to the question "Did we need motion controls as the primary interface for a console?". And the answer is no, no we did not.

This is the correct post here folks.

The Wii felt more innovative due to motion controls and when both Sony & MS saw what the Wii had to offer, Sony copied the Wii for most parts and MS did its own thing with Kinect without the wand. The Switch is what the Wii U should have been.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Agree. I cant ever see buying another Nintendo Product. Even @FireEmblem_Man agrees with me. I see him on PSN every time I'm on, he knows where the real world class gaming can be found out and that sure the hell ain't Nintendo.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@FirstDiscovery: please take a business class! Learn more how the gaming business works before making a stupid claim!

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

I feel like the Wii was worse. Japanese gaming really hit a slump that generation and I think the Wii had much to do with that.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Nope

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

Not seeing how Switch is damaging the industry, other than being successful and making over a hundred million gamers happy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Disagree. If you don’t like how a port of a game performs then you can always get it on a system where it performs better. Problem solved. 🤷‍♂️

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

The Switch isn't the reason the games you keep playing suck. It's called corporate greed.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Which games have been held back?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Persona games haven't ever really been graphic powerhouse titles. Their visual flair comes from artistic design and style, not necessarily the taxing game builds that jam as many high polygon models with high resolution textures attempting to achieve photo realism.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

The wii didn't do any damage to the industry: It was great. A treasure trove of hidden gems.

The biggest problem at the moment is the sheer cost of production, combined with a market that isn't expanding much, that is making devs/publishers highly risk averse.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Agree. I cant ever see buying another Nintendo Product. Even @FireEmblem_Man agrees with me. I see him on PSN every time I'm on, he knows where the real world class gaming can be found out and that sure the hell ain't Nintendo.

ooff, he betrayed nintendo, a long time fan, but even worse than that is he went to sony for his gaming lol. Thats a big downgrade, he should have went to the xbox, that might have made sense.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Would love to agree, but I think AAA companies focusing on loot boxes and garbage games is worse.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Pedro said:

Doubtful he can w/o out some hyperbole.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

....what?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

If I understood your argument correctly, then I disagree strongly.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Persona games haven't ever really been graphic powerhouse titles. Their visual flair comes from artistic design and style, not necessarily the taxing game builds that jam as many high polygon models with high resolution textures attempting to achieve photo realism.

Not to mention the fact that P5 is a PS3 game from 2016...

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Neither is/was damaging for the industry.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

What's happening is that the Switch is holding Nintendo's talent back. A Mario is just a mario. Its simple colors with lighting from the ps2 era and textures... what textures? Its just colors. But if we're talking about Zelda, and especially games with a thick atmosphere such as Metroid, Nintendo is completely clapping their own developers by not giving them what's needed in 2022. They're literally developing for WiiU hardware during the 9th gen. Who does that?

Why is Nintendo torturing their own developers? Why? And people are praising them lol facepalm facepalm facepalm, guys.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

Graphics are gimmicks, thats why Switch is number one and Sony is slowly going third party.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

I don’t know what “ports of gamer exclusives” even means. Are you referring to how Zelda BoTW is a Wii U game being ported to Switch? Wii had some ports too in that sense.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#26 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

The damage has already been done with mobile. Casual gamers are used to trash tier gaming.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Litchie
@BassMan said:

The damage has already been done with mobile. Casual gamers are used to trash tier gaming.

If anything has damaged the industry, mobile is definitely it.

Companies are currently trying to incorporate mobile business models in non mobile games you've already payed full price for. And people seem generally ok with that, so I see no reason why it won't continue and get even worse.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Litchie

@lavamelon said:

I don’t know what “ports of gamer exclusives” even means. Are you referring to how Zelda BoTW is a Wii U game being ported to Switch? Wii had some ports too in that sense.

Yeah, I'm surprised other posters are able to answer something that doesn't mean anything. Also find it weird to create a really dumb thread and then abandon it.

@hardwenzen said:

What's happening is that the Switch is holding Nintendo's talent back. A Mario is just a mario. Its simple colors with lighting from the ps2 era and textures... what textures? Its just colors. But if we're talking about Zelda, and especially games with a thick atmosphere such as Metroid, Nintendo is completely clapping their own developers by not giving them what's needed in 2022. They're literally developing for WiiU hardware during the 9th gen. Who does that?

Why is Nintendo torturing their own developers? Why? And people are praising them lol facepalm facepalm facepalm, guys.

Because last time they didn't do that (GameCube), people hated their stuff. Why create good shit that doesn't sell when you can make crap and get rich?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

The Portal companion collection held back development of Portal 3.

Damn you Switch!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Darn that Wii, responsible for all the things that went wrong with gen 7, including,

• Paid Online
  • Bastardization of old IPs (XCOM, Syndicate, TES, Devil May Cry)
  • Cover Based Shooters
  • Flash Over Substance
  • The Ubisoft formula.
  • Massive Dev Teams leading a Design By Committee culture.
  • Release it now, patch it later mentality
  • Attempts to rely on online multiplayer as a crutch
  • Achievements
  • Putting RPG elements into everything (including Competitive Multiplayer games)
  • The whole consolization fiasco. Where several prominent PC games were watered down to fit the 360/PS3 specs. Control Schemes and UI were severely hurt too.
  • Bamham combat

Seriously the Wii and Indie PC games were the only redeeming features of Gen 7. Mostly the latter. Gen 7 was sooooooo bad.

As for the Switch. Same situation as the Wii. Where it existed mostly outside the unsustainable overproduced soulless garbage that plagued its competitors.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Switch ports tend to be too late to truly effect the other platforms, unless you’re referring to Switch exclusives which later come to PC, a la MHR or Rune Factory 5.

If you want a real case of ports being held back, look at the PS360 late 2000’s/early 2010’s. Established PC franchises were being dumbed down left and right to fit console limitations, both hardware-wise and controller-wise. I still haven’t forgotten the insults that were Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, or FEAR 2.

kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

@Postosuchus said:

If you want a real case of ports being held back, look at the PS360 late 2000’s/early 2010’s. Established PC franchises were being dumbed down left and right to fit console limitations, both hardware-wise and controller-wise. I still haven’t forgotten the insults that were Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2, or FEAR 2.

Careful who you say that too around here cause apparently 512mb of RAM along with a hope and a prayer was enough to make sure those games weren't held back at all.

There's no way the simplistic dumbed down design of sequel games to PC franchises had anything to do with difficult to work with platforms that were lacking in the hardware department before they even launched.

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 254 Posts

You're acting like current gen games aren't just Xbox 360 games with HD texture packs. BoTW has better physics tha any PC game. FEAR from 2005 has better AI than any game released today ffs. Switch ain't holding gaming back, shitty developers are

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

A lot of people itt are blaming lousy developers. But I would argue that to be more specific, it is a terrible development culture. Right now, game devs are seriously discouraged from being game devs, with extensive crunch time. Which causes the industry to be saturated with greens. An endless pursuit for visuals, even though it is abundantly clear most gamers couldnt care less. And simply put, too many patents being flown around turning game development into a minefield.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts
@Naylord said:
@Pedro said:

Whereas the Wii didn't get ports of gamer exclusives, the Switch does and is now actively holding them back."

It's actually not a bad point. I clicked assuming this would be a bullshit topic but that's a decent point. Not sure if the overall idea is true though.

So, this is a graphics wh**e thread? Hasn't Nintendo proven you can make innovative, fun games without having cutting edge graphics?

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Agreed look at the recent games releasing on switch there worse than wii shovel ware there was calculator on there for like 10 bux i mean wtf is going on with the switch market place is anyone defending it seems 70% disagree why? LOOK AT THE Switch E-SHOP recent "games"

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Naylord said:
@Pedro said:

It is a bad point. Look at the majority of Switch ports of 3rd party games. They are developed AFTER the games are released. How is the Switch holding back the production of games AFTER they release? There's usually a 3rd party dev like Panic Button that is doing the ports... The premise of this thread isn't based on any sort of reality.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

Sony is damaging the industry by only allowing their big studios to make 3rd person action games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@templecow90999 said:

Sony is damaging the industry by only allowing their big studios to make 3rd person action games.

I’m not sure I agree with this either. It’s not good for PS variety, but it leaves the door open for other studios to make different games. If Sony floods the 3rd person action/movie game genre, that means there’s opportunities elsewhere

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Because last time they didn't do that (GameCube), people hated their stuff. Why create good shit that doesn't sell when you can make crap and get rich?

Yes, but lets not pretend like the GC didn't have its fair share of issues. Mini discs or whatever its called was a poor decision on their end. Missing out on all 3rd party is a big problem to someone who's looking for just one system per generation. The controller was made for a t-rex. Many liked it, but its not even in the same dimension as the S controller from the og xbox. And it looking like a launch box of a kid going to the kindergarten is just dumb af. Technically, the SNES was the last Nintendo system that didn't fail at anything.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen
@templecow90999 said:

The same games they've always made and won shitload of goty with? Oh so damaging btw.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Graphics are gimmicks, thats why Switch is number one and Sony is slowly going third party.

Number one how? Top handheld? Shouldn't be hard when it's the only mass market handheld out? It's been out 5 years, the consoles haven't been out for 2 yet and supply constrainted. Their not in competition but congrats?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

More complaints about how Nintendo hardware is "behind"? Take it away, Scott (starts at 1:03:46)...

Loading Video...

And no, it didn't do damage to the industry. Sony and Microsoft's moneyhatting and acquisitions have done WAY more.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen

@nintendoboy16 said:

More complaints about how Nintendo hardware is "behind"? Take it away, Scott (starts at 1:03:46)...

Loading Video...

And no, it didn't do damage to the industry. Sony and Microsoft's moneyhatting and acquisitions have done WAY more.

You keep posting this dude's videos. He even looks like a mega sheep.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Hes amazing. Sir Scott the Woz dont play.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Hes amazing. Sir Scott the Woz dont play.

His face is how i imagine you. Very sheep-looking. Probably wears Nintendo related tshirts everywhere he goes

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#47 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

You keep posting this dude's videos. He even looks like a mega sheep.

At least he has plenty of criticisms of them (he hates Chibi-Robo Zip-Lash). And doesn't revise history because "current thing sucks" (like he did on Virtual Console).

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: He does look like my twin. But we wear suits though, we’re not allowed to wear T-shirt’s.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: He does look like my twin. But we wear suits though, we’re not allowed to wear T-shirt’s.

Liar. You both wear tshirts with with a purple gamecube on it.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

@simonthekid7:

Yeah, that's been happening since the gen from PS2/Xbox to PS3/360. Games on next gen started to be held back that were on both gens but they eventually stop making new games after a year or so and just focus on current gen. Unfortunately some great games have suffered because of that. Pretty big list as well if you do some research. I believe they should drop the practice. When a new console is out make the damn game on it only.