Switch exclusive Splatoon 2 hits 10 million copies sold!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45092 Posts

https://www.destructoid.com/splatoon-2-has-sold-over-10-million-copies-to-date-590310.phtml

Wowza, looks like Nintendo can do shooters. I wonder if it outsold Ghost's beloved Doom 2016, and that game is multiplat. But I digress.. your thoughts, SW? Have you played Splatoon? Enjoyed it? I tried it a while back and thought it was ok. I'm willing to give the next one a try if they expand the concept more.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

See Nintendo. This is what happens when you make new IPs.

Especially innovative ones with a good concept and a good execution.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

@Maroxad: I wish ARMS would get the same respect. ARMS was wasted and I happen to enjoy it.

Kudos to Splatoon 2 and its been almost a year since I played it.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I enjoyed splatoon.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

Congrats. This is one of the very, very few Nintendo games that I couldn’t really get into though so I passed on it.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I never understood the appeal of the Splatoon games. There's some downright stupid design philosophies in the series.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Sony and Nintendo have been killing it this gen. A lot of their exclusives are selling 10 million+

Meanwhile Boobiesoft has to give their games for free on Lamepass because they don't sell anymore, lol - ROLF.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@jaydan: I'll take the bait. Go ahead and explain in detail what you mean by this.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaydan

@wiiboxstation: You can't play the game the way you want to play it. You are forced to play the game the way it wants you to. You can't just choose your favorite stage or your favorite modes at any given time, you can only enjoy stages and modes on the game's watch.

It's a stupid design choice to limit players on what they can enjoy in the game at any given time, and that should never exist in games like these.

That is among the major reasons I'll never support this series. Imagine I was interested in giving this series a try at one point and this single-handedly killed any and all interest I could have potentially had in the series.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Maroxad said:

You tell them that when their existing IP's sell in excess of 15M.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I wish I had a demographic breakdown of who’s buying this game, but my guess is it actually did very well with the up-and-coming generation as opposed to the shut-in neckbeards driving its success.

Not my cup of tea, seeing that it’s very much baby’s first competitive shooter, but commendations to the team who made a new IP that both fans and HQ embraced and is now one of Nintendo’s most promising IPs moving forward.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

@virusvaccine21 said:

Sony and Nintendo have been killing it this gen. A lot of their exclusives are selling 10 million+

Meanwhile Boobiesoft has to give their games for free on Lamepass because they don't sell anymore, lol - ROLF.

I laughed because it's true. There's nothing like being able to sell 10 million copies of a AAA game at retail price as opposed to giving it away on a $1 sub service. Dunno why MS fans vigorously defend MS at every turn when they always failed them at retail.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@jaydan said:

@wiiboxstation: You can't play the game the way you want to play it. You are forced to play the game the way it wants you to. You can't just choose your favorite stage or your favorite modes at any given time, you can only enjoy stages and modes on the game's watch.

It's a stupid design choice to limit players on what they can enjoy in the game at any given time, and that should never exist in games like these.

That is among the major reasons I'll never support this series. Imagine I was interested in giving this series a try at one point and this single-handedly killed any and all interest I could have potentially had in the series.

My main issue is the map rotation lock, you can only choose from two maps per game mode every 4 hours. Makes no sense to me.

Also, no custom loadouts so you get a lot of pre-made loadouts that are almost identical except for the sub weapon, or the same weapon renamed 2 or 3 times. No loadout swapping during matches is annoying too.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad

@Juub1990 said:
@Maroxad said:

You tell them that when their existing IP's sell in excess of 15M.

Some of them, sure.

But even in those established franchises. Several of them took enormous leaps.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

A few small changes could make this franchise so much better...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38803 Posts

So many sales but nobody ever talks about the series. This confirms that the ones that are playing it are too young to even post comments on the web. A children's game.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

So many sales but nobody ever talks about the series. This confirms that the ones that are playing it are too young to even post comments on the web. A children's game.

Loading Video...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

My main issue is the map rotation lock, you can only choose from two maps per game mode every 4 hours. Makes no sense to me.

Also, no custom loadouts so you get a lot of pre-made loadouts that are almost identical except for the sub weapon, or the same weapon renamed 2 or 3 times. No loadout swapping during matches is annoying too.

Some of the things Nintendo enacts are unexplainable. I'd love to hear Nintendo's b.s. excuse why every map is not available all of the time. I can understand the salmon run being unavailable all of the time but not every map in turf war, splat zones, etc..,

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Impossible exclusives dont sell.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

@Solaryellow: It's so people aren't just playing one map to farm. It also makes finding a match quick cause tons are playing the same map.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wiiboxstation

@BenjaminBanklin: Sony exclusives are heavily discounted and end up being PlayStation Hits. Nintendo is the gaming company selling games at full retail price and maximum profit, not Sony.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wiiboxstation

@jaydan: I figured you were a troll but you have made legitimate points.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

congrats to the last of us multiplayer killer

sony almost had a decent exclusive multiplayer game besides uncharted. but of course nintendo had to trump them again.

GG nintendo

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Eh, i own the game but only played for a couple hours and never touched it again..its more of a competitive shooter for children.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

When Splatoon first appeared, shooter fans thought Nintendo were crazy for trying to make a shooter in an overcrowded shooter market. And on top of that, it was a family-friendly shooter in a market flooded with ultra-violent games.

But Splatoon went on to pull COD-like sales numbers. And since Splatoon, there has been a flood of family-friendly shooters, e.g. Overwatch, Fortnite, etc. Look at 'em now. Who woulda thought?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

@davillain- said:

@Maroxad: I wish ARMS would get the same respect. ARMS was wasted and I happen to enjoy it.

Kudos to Splatoon 2 and its been almost a year since I played it.

ARMS sold 2 million copies, it will probably get a sequel someday. I love it, but there really isn't enough content for the average gamer, especially at full price. Would probably sell another million copies if Nintendo cut the price to $20 when they release the DLC for Smash.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts

Wow it looks like Animal Crossing a non shooter game has some competition for best selling game at the moment.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Wow. That's pretty impressive.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Basinboy said:

Not my cup of tea, seeing that it’s very much baby’s first competitive shooter, \

This description really wouldn't fly to its ranked mode compared to any tps, much less most of the popular fps games. Unlike a good chunk of them Splatoon actually has some depth to how its movement works, players actually have to worry about leading shots as opposed to having aim assist carry the day, and the speed at which players have to play its objective modes is a lot quicker than the likes of CoD n shit.

And that's without getting into the fact that outside of Siege n CS, most of the main stream darlings are already a bunch of glorified babys first competitive shooter as far as depth is concerned.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jg4xchamp

On topic, the gameplay is great and high level splatoon objective modes are a ton of fun n tense. I can not stand how Nintendo controls the fun tho, shit is mad off putting.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

This description really wouldn't fly to its ranked mode compared to any tps, much less most of the popular fps games. Unlike a good chunk of them Splatoon actually has some depth to how its movement works, players actually have to worry about leading shots as opposed to having aim assist carry the day, and the speed at which players have to play its objective modes is a lot quicker than the likes of CoD n shit.

And that's without getting into the fact that outside of Siege n CS, most of the main stream darlings are already a bunch of glorified babys first competitive shooter as far as depth is concerned.

Funny how people judge it by its looks when the likes of ghost would absolutely suck in its multiplayer mode despite thinking they're hardcore for beating Max Payne 3.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Juub1990 said:

Funny how people judge it by its looks when the likes of ghost would absolutely suck in its multiplayer mode despite thinking they're hardcore for beating Max Payne 3.

Part of it is Nintendo's fault. They control what modes you can play and what maps you can play. IF you want to play quick play, you can't play with your friends on your team. Other mp games have an active twitch audience/youtube audience/esports scene as well. So you have actual high level players highlighting the strengths of the game.

Splatoon 1 n 2 are every bit as strong gameplay wise as a lot of present day multiplayer shooter, arguably stronger, it just needs Nintendo to get the **** out of the way.

Some people have to be guided towards to the fun, a lot of people need to be guided towards the fun tbh.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

@wiiboxstation said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Sony exclusives are heavily discounted and end up being PlayStation Hits. Nintendo is the gaming company selling games at full retail price and maximum profit, not Sony.

Who said anything about Nintendo? This is about MS not being able to move copies of games anymore and having to resort to putting them on Game Pass. Besides, PSN and digital games are HUGE for Sony.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jcrame10

@mesome713 said:

@Solaryellow: It's so people aren't just playing one map to farm. It also makes finding a match quick cause tons are playing the same map.

If your multiplayer game somehow encourages people to farm one map then you're a bad game designer

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jcrame10
@Solaryellow said:
@jcrame10 said:

Some of the things Nintendo enacts are unexplainable. I'd love to hear Nintendo's b.s. excuse why every map is not available all of the time. I can understand the salmon run being unavailable all of the time but not every map in turf war, splat zones, etc..,

Yeah, awful decisions by Nintendo.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

@jcrame10 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@jcrame10 said:

Can't wrap my head around it either. Do Nintendo think their players are too dumb to choose map and mode? Are Nintendo worried the players would only play one map all the time and wants to take away their ability to choose favourites? Is it easier for them to continue supporting the game when players only have access to a few maps at a time?

I simply have no clue.. Thought it was weird in the first game and was hoping the sequel would be better in this regard, but no siree bob. Splatoon is fun, but it would be so easy to make it much better. Let us choose map, mode and time limit. There. From a 7/10 to a 9/10 game. smh

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcrame10

@Litchie said:
@jcrame10 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@jcrame10 said:

Can't wrap my head around it either. Do Nintendo think their players are too dumb to choose map and mode? Are Nintendo worried the players would only play one map all the time and wants to take away their ability to choose favourites? Is it easier for them to continue supporting the game when players only have access to a few maps at a time?

I simply have no clue.. Thought it was weird in the first game and was hoping the sequel would be better in this regard, but no siree bob. Splatoon is fun, but it would be so easy to make it much better. Let us choose map, mode and time limit. There. From a 7/10 to a 9/10 game. smh

No idea, it's just how Nintendo is they've always been big on the handholding. I can't play Splatoon for more than 15 minutes without getting bored because it's the same maps over and over again.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Solaryellow

@jcrame10 said:
@mesome713 said:

If your multiplayer game somehow encourages people to farm one map then you're a bad game designer

Only having the same two maps or whatever in the rotation for a set time still offers the ability to farm, does it not? If the computer picked the map (from an entire complete rotation rather than two) a match would still be found quickly. This is just Nintendo being Nintendo for the sake of being Nintendo.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp

@Litchie said:

Can't wrap my head around it either.

What's there to wrap your head around? Nintendo always has to control the fun. For everything good and respectable about how they design games, they will go the extra fucking mile to control a specific experience, make no mistake.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jcrame10

@Solaryellow said:
@jcrame10 said:
@mesome713 said:

Only having the same two maps or whatever in the rotation for a set time still offers the ability to farm, does it not? If the computer picked the map (from an entire complete rotation rather than two) a match would still be found quickly. This is just Nintendo being Nintendo for the sake of being Nintendo.

Yeah lol his argument makes no sense

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Solaryellow

Mesome (I believe he had another name on here too) is a fight till the end Nintendo guy.

Anyway, I'm trying to remember Goldeneye Wii and if it had specific rotations. Yes it was 3rd party so I'm fairly certain the babysitter was told to go home.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Maroxad

I just got back from playing Splatoon 2.

I just came out of a battle. where my team was losing the whole time. Then in the last 20 seconds we finally made a comeback where I engaged 3 enemies in a 1v3. Giving my team enough time to ink enough turf to carry us to victory.

I came out victorious as well, but that was just icing on the cake. We won, thanks to my latch ditch effort to win the game. :D

I vastly prefer Turf War over Conquest which every other MP game seems to have.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jaydan

@Solaryellow said:

Mesome (I believe he had another name on here too) is a fight till the end Nintendo guy.

Anyway, I'm trying to remember Goldeneye Wii and if it had specific rotations. Yes it was 3rd party so I'm fairly certain the babysitter was told to go home.

Goldeneye 007 for the Wii honestly was one of the greatest Wii titles no one played.