SW Magazine #63 - Countdown to Nintendoom, Most Dumb of 2012, SWG/A's and more!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Willy105 (24746 posts) -

January 2nd, 2013 - Issue 63 - @swm_magazine

swm-5th.png

Letter from the Editor:

It is 2013, the year in which the next-generation Xbox and Playstation will join the Wii U in another half-decade of epic fighting, whining, and dissapointment. Who will win the next-generation System Wars? Not you. THIS IS SYSTEM WARS MAGAZINE!!!

- Willy, Sheep in Charge

3.png?w=160&h=648

Want to write for System Wars Magazine? PM Willy105 or bother the people in this chat.

COUNTDOWN TO NINTENDOOM: Wii U LAUNCH

2.png

The Wii U has launched worldwide, has it flopped yet?

GOOD MUSIC IS A SIGN OF A BAD GAME

2228309-41.jpg?w=640&h=360

Music only distracts you from how awful the game really is.

DUMB MOMENTS IN GAMING 2012

Maintain Dew and Doritos don't even taste all that good together.

RAGE REVIEW

Is this an old game, or an "old" game?

SHEEP WIN THE 2012 SYSTEM WARS GAME

In your face!

2012 SYSTEM WARS AWARDS BEGIN VOTING

It is your duty to vote for the forum user you dislike the least!

screenshot_the-lake-line_47-80463-121-531722309-5.png

legal3.gif

#2 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28915 posts) -

I still don't read the magazine but good job regardless.

#3 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

Here's to a new year of biased video game coverage!

#4 Posted by PatchMaster (6013 posts) -

Wow, the site looks really good.

#5 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

Ummm, why is someone's personal site 1. allowed here and 2. pinned at the top of the forum?

#6 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

Ummm, why is someone's personal site 1. allowed here and 2. pinned at the top of the forum?

Jaysonguy

Because many articles directly cover what goes on on these forums, and a lot of the articles are also featured on community blogs or as user reviews. This site is very connected to Gamespot and has no commercial interests, so I think it's both logical and harmless. Besides, any SW poster is welcome to submit articles.

#7 Posted by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

DraugenCP

Because many articles directly cover what goes on on these forums, and a lot of the articles are also featured on community blogs or as user reviews. This site is very connected to Gamespot and has no commercial interests, so I think it's both logical and harmless. Besides, any SW poster is welcome to submit articles.

I understand all that but it's still Gamespot allowing someone to promote their own site and letting the site become more profitable by gaining traffic.

It's not so much that anyone from Gamespot can add what they would like, it's that it's violating Gamespots TOS on every level yet it's allowed for some reason why I've seen (and reported) countless threads of people doing exactly the same thing.

Hell, offering the ability for submissions to the site? People have been banned for that when promoting their own sites here.

#8 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

I understand all that but it's still Gamespot allowing someone to promote their own site and letting the site become more profitable by gaining traffic.

It's not so much that anyone from Gamespot can add what they would like, it's that it's violating Gamespots TOS on every level yet it's allowed for some reason why I've seen (and reported) countless threads of people doing exactly the same thing.

Hell, offering the ability for submissions to the site? People have been banned for that when promoting their own sites here.Jaysonguy

It's just an external platform on which articles often directly related to this board are placed. In the past, articles were bundled and converted into actual .pdf format magazines and posted on this board, but we regrettably don't have that luxury anymore. Rules are guidelines by which websites protect their interests, and I think anyone can understand that this sort of initiative benefits this community rather than harming it. The fact that it is on an extrernal platform doesn't change that.

And the increase of profitability would have been a valid point, were it not for the fact that SWM is not a commercial website and does not generate money (it actually costs money). It's a simple wordpress blog made for the SW community.

#9 Posted by Willy105 (24746 posts) -

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Hell, offering the ability for submissions to the site? People have been banned for that when promoting their own sites here.

Ha! We have been doing SW Magazine for over 5 years now, and it has always been a community run project like SW Game, SW Awards, Iron Shop, The Lounge, and whichever other stuff we do here to have fun. You are more than welcome to join us if you like.

#10 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

Cool, I liked the articles. Great job, I can tell a lot of work went into this!

#12 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

I was interested up until the "Journey is a boring game with a good soundtrack" part.

#13 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

I was interested up until the "Journey is a boring game with a good soundtrack" part.

ItsEvolution

As the author of that article, I would strongly suggest reading it. It is not what it seems at first sight.

#14 Posted by Jynxzor (9313 posts) -

It's not so much that anyone from Gamespot can add what they would like, it's that it's violating Gamespots TOS on every level yet it's allowed for some reason why I've seen (and reported) countless threads of people doing exactly the same thing.Jaysonguy

I'm pretty sure the gamespot would ban the use of outside media to do something like this...if the forums weren't utterly trash for something like this. We used to post the whole magazine as a forum post, but more often than not getting the damn thing posted was more work than writing the thing. We moved to a downloadable PDF format as well to combat this issue for the readers, but due to massive time investments required to design a whole magazine we only rarely release copies like that. (When we do though it's pretty swanky we even offer a place to order a physical copy of the magazine, no profit to us of course only printing costs for the web-publisher) The website is the best solution, we use it for no other reason than it streamlines the submission and posting of articles and information. Yes it also leaves us with a few other options that may be outside of gamespots control but we have yet to do anything to cause them alarm and generally always get their blessing when doing things that may raise eyebrows (Such as the webpage host in the first place).

#16 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1341 posts) -

[QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

1PMrFister

As the author of that article, I would strongly suggest reading it. It is not what it seems at first sight.

So is it or is it not just another "journey sucks, because it not long, and yew only walk in da sand and dats borin"
#17 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
[QUOTE="1PMrFister"]

[QUOTE="ItsEvolution"]

Granny_Spanked

So is it or is it not just another "journey sucks, because it not long, and yew only walk in da sand and dats borin"

It's more like "Games have good music so the developers can hide the fact that it sucks hardcore." [spoiler] It's satire made for laughs. I actually enjoyed every game I bashed. Yes, that does include Journey. [/spoiler]
#18 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

i'm going to write an article one of these days.

#19 Posted by Jynxzor (9313 posts) -

i'm going to write an article one of these days.

CaseyWegner
You can't imagine how often I half-do a article to scrap it due to time constraints and the story becoming dated... I think my Don't Starve Article will be fine considering the game is still in quasi-beta.
#20 Posted by gorbysantos (25 posts) -
i was just thinking the other day that spyro should be in the game
#21 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1341 posts) -
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"][QUOTE="1PMrFister"] As the author of that article, I would strongly suggest reading it. It is not what it seems at first sight.1PMrFister

It's more like "Games have good music so the developers can hide the fact that it sucks hardcore." [spoiler] It's satire made for laughs. I actually enjoyed every game I bashed. Yes, that does include Journey. [/spoiler]

Do you actually think that people will just play a game for music? A game like journey isn't going to be the years highest rated game on sound alone. I didn't even have the volume on most of the time to avoid waking my family, and it was still an amazing game.
#25 Posted by greaneto (25 posts) -
Here's to a new year of biased video game coverage!