SW are you worried? Video Games are being blamed for recent violence again (by Trump/GOP).

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Are you scared that this will hurt the video game industry or even your own playing of them fellow SW gamers? Stocks are already dropping, and what if some insane politician (GOP) try to ban video games or something?

Trump, McCarthy cite video games as a driver behind mass shootings

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/politics/kevin-mccarthy-mass-shootings-video-games/index.html

Hopefully this fades away as usual and they stop scapegoating the wrong thing. I do not want my Video Games negatively effected at all.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46192 Posts

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Nope, not worried. Politicians in general blame video games whenever they need an easy scapegoat, nothing ever comes of it because it's quickly debunked for the BS it is.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Keep politics out of System Wars! Post in the Political Gamers forum, please!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

The issue is a lot of things honestly, but blaming video game angle is beyond fucking stupid & video games have been cemented as free speech since 2011. I've played violent video games since I was 7 years old and never committed a crime or become a killer. That part comes in playing GTA & Hatred as well :P

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@zaryia said:

Are you scared that this will hurt the video game industry or even your own playing of them fellow SW gamers? Stocks are already dropping, and what if some insane politician (GOP) try to ban video games or something?

Hahahaha. That's one issue where everyone on this board would agree to fight against. Good luck banning games. Good luck even entertaining the idea. I fail to see how violent games are the scapegoat while ignoring other violent outlets such as movies, television, comics, music, etc.., Society needs to place the blame on the person rather than an inanimate object.

mikecrci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mikecrci
Member since 2017 • 67 Posts

Video games are the problem.

That explains Japan’s high gun violence as well.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zaryia
@onesiphorus said:

Sorry I wanted the opinions of just run of the mill SW gamers and not really those invested in politics.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9  Edited By adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

It was painfully obvious that they would blame videogames; because of the age of the shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I'm all for the constitution and free speech except when the NRA tells me not to.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Is the world going to start looking at the real problem behind mental illnesses yet?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

Adam Jensen himself said it best:

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Wall goes up 10 feet, Chinese tariff goes up 10%, problem solved.

Let them blame, just like gun ban, games ban won't happen cause it brings money.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

No, I’m not worried.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Mainstream murder simulators like Call OF Duty, Battlefield and Assassins Creed have been influencing young people on a mass-scale for some time now, normalising violence as the only way to progress past an obstacle.

Microtransactions and loot-boxes in games like Madden and Fifa have also exploited and exacerbated an already existent compulsion in the vulnerable decimating any semblance of self-control or self-worth.

Websites like Kotaku and Polygon, constantly berating gamers as "alt right" probably have something to do with it as well. A simple search engine block would fix this immediately.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Something needs to drastically change this creatively bankrupt industry... whatever happens will shake it up and hopefully remove the staleness factor.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Nope been through this in the 90's poor Scapegoat he's been through alot of shit.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

Blaming video games is dumb however mass shooting deaths make up a very small % of gun homicides each year. I don't feel the right for me to carry a weapon should be influenced by a few social rejects.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@zaryia: Its classic deflection.

The NRA give generously to campaigns, the gaming industry doesn't. There are other countries on this planet that have people with mental illnesses, play video games but don't come anywhere near the number of mass shooting incidents the US does.

Gee what's different in America?

Maybe coming out of a woman's vagina shouldn't guarantee a person a firearm. Maybe like other countries, all citizens should have healthcare as a right and then mental health is covered in that. This can broaden the social net of treating and identifying troubled people.

Maybe a firearm should be a privilege that one must earn and prove responsibility with in order to keep said privilege. Much like driving a car. You need to pass tests, be licensed, have insurance for a vehicle which is registered. But the gun lovers don't want any kind a universal background checks or registry or psych evaluations to own a gun.

In texas a woman must have a psych eval before she can get an abortion. But a gun buyer doesn't have to have one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

I think videogames do reach an unhealthy addiction moreso now than ever, since there is potential money behind playing games. Some of these young kids are breaking 1000 dollar computers and parts and just losing sight of the fact they are just games.

There have been reported violence in Korea, over Starcraft, and now that the esport scene is in full effect in the states, its perfectly acceptable to at least venture to the conclusion that videogames can have such an effect, as it has been seen before in very similar circumstances.

Blaming the games is still the easy way out, just like blaming guns, but the catch with games is that they appear to be having a psychological effect on the youth, for sure.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cainetao11

@zaryia said:
@onesiphorus said:

Sorry I wanted the opinions of just run of the mill SW gamers and not really those invested in politics.

Don't apologize. Video games have been dragged into this by that lying racist in the white house and the GOP.

Its just an inconvenient truth for him because he is a Trump supporter. They brought gaming into this issue. This is a gaming forum and this thread belongs here as much as any happy birthday or congratulation thread to inanimate pieces of electronics.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I guess the gamers here who support Trump, better listen to their savior and quit gaming for good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

This is actually about video games, so it fits as in games related stuff despite this looks political. This thread is welcome here anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This is just another attempt at misdirection. The Dems and Conservatives do it all the time. Politicians won't do anything about it because $$$. So instead they point the finger at something they don't care about. This time it's video games. Tomorrow it will be music or movies.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Solaryellow

@cainetao11 said:
@zaryia said:
@onesiphorus said:

Don't apologize. Video games have been dragged into this by that lying racist in the white house and the GOP.

Its just an inconvenient truth for him because he is a Trump supporter. They brought gaming into this issue. This is a gaming forum and this thread belongs here as much as any happy birthday or congratulation thread to inanimate pieces of electronics.

Something tells me you don't remember a female named Mary Gore.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

This is just another attempt at misdirection. The Dems and Conservatives do it all the time. Politicians won't do anything about it because $$$. So instead they point the finger at something they don't care about. This time it's video games. Tomorrow it will be music or movies.

1 guy blamed anime. They have lots of shit to blame before they blame guns or stupidity or whatever.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zaryia
@heirren said:

Blaming the games is still the easy way out, just like blaming guns, but the catch with games is that they appear to be having a psychological effect on the youth, for sure.

Guns are far more linked to this violence than video games. By exponential margins.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@goldenelementxl said:

Like I said, the NRA pays for campaigns. How much does the gaming industry lobby and fund campaigns? Obviously they wont go after their cash cow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@zaryia:

Not necessarily. Games have shown to have a proven psychological effect on people. When theres money involved it heightens matters. From murders in korea to people hiring hitmen to eliminate competition in the Olympics(kerrigan and whats her name?)

Again, guns are just the means by which people act. The motivation is the important part.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cainetao11

@Solaryellow said:
@cainetao11 said:
@zaryia said:
@onesiphorus said:

Im going on 47 years old. I know who she is. She didn't blame games after this weekend. The GOP house minority leader, Lt Governor of Texas and POTUS did. This thread is clearly referencing the recent news and blaming.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

This is a slap in the face to his gamergate and 4chan supporters. How could he betray his gamer base like that? They were expecting Trump to be the saviour of gaming from those SJWs, yet here he is trying to destroy video games...

...Not that it will make much difference to his gamer base. We already knew back then that gamergate had little to do with video games to begin with.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Solaryellow

@cainetao11 said:
@Solaryellow said:

Im going on 47 years old. I know who she is. She didn't blame games after this weekend. The GOP house minority leader, Lt Governor of Texas and POTUS did. This thread is clearly referencing the recent news and blaming.

No but she blamed the ills of society on music thirty some years ago. It's a routine you seem to think is based on political affiliation yet there are countless examples of R & D blaming gaming and entertainment. Trump joins the ranks of people like Bill Clinton, Lieberman, Kohl, ole Hilldog, Obama, etc.., but you are 47 years old so you knew that, right?

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

This right here. If video games were that big of a problem they'd pass a bill into law and do away with them entirely. They get taxes on every copy of every game sold so regulations in the industry would also regulate their cashflow.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Nah.

AAA market is fuuuucked regardless.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Like I said, the NRA pays for campaigns. How much does the gaming industry lobby and fund campaigns? Obviously they wont go after their cash cow

Wait until all the baby boomers are gone. The world will be better in some ways and totally bat shit crazy in others. Boomers love guns, the flag and the border. When the millennial's are running things, streaming companies, big energy drink, and vape juice companies will shape legislation.

Off topic: Why do we let such old ass people run the worlds governments? These people making policies are the same people that can't work a DVR and are often times targeted by telemarketing scams. How many people in their late 60's/early 70's do you all know in your personal lives that you would trust with the nations security? I don't know anyone over 60 that I would trust with my children over a weekend...

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Not surprised to see Zaryia posting about this given their leftist position. That said, I agree that videogames aren't the problem and the President is using it as a scapegoat instead of pointing towards the real problem... mental illness.

Mental illness is a huge problem in America. Unfortunately, many that suffer from the condition are in denial about it (I'll skip obvious openings for insults here because it's a very real issue that is having severe consequences), often selling or trading their medications for illegal drugs or alcohol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cainetao11

@Solaryellow said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Solaryellow said:

No but she blamed the ills of society on music thirty some years ago. It's a routine you seem to think is based on political affiliation yet there are countless examples of R & D blaming gaming and entertainment. Trump joins the ranks of people like Bill Clinton, Lieberman, Kohl, ole Hilldog, Obama, etc.., but you are 47 years old so you knew that, right?

You don't know how I think. I spoke against Tipper when she was against Metal and games then, and I speak against the cowards that are scapegoating games NOW. It so happens they are in the GOP right now. So Im going to deal with who with this NOW.

Its quite obvious you think you're enlightening me because I called out one side today because one side right now is trying to blame gaming. I don't live in the past even that which I experienced.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Solaryellow

@cainetao11 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Solaryellow said:

You don't know how I think. I spoke against Tipper when she was against Metal and games then, and I speak against the cowards that are scapegoating games NOW. It so happens they are in the GOP right now. So Im going to deal with who with this NOW.

Then speak up and lose the naivety.

If the Reps are wrong for blaming games, the Dems are wrong for blaming firearms. This is nothing more than a societal issue.

"Video games have been dragged into this by that lying racist in the white house and the GOP." No. Video Games have been the scapegoat for a good four decades.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cainetao11

@goldenelementxl said:
@cainetao11 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Wait until all the baby boomers are gone. The world will be better in some ways and totally bat shit crazy in others. Boomers love guns, the flag and the border. When the millennial's are running things, streaming companies, big energy drink, and vape juice companies will shape legislation.

Off topic: Why do we let such old ass people run the worlds governments? These people making policies are the same people that can't work a DVR and are often times targeted by telemarketing scams. How many people in their late 60's/early 70's do you all know in your personal lives that you would trust with the nations security? I don't know anyone over 60 that I would trust with my children over a weekend...

LOL well I don't know the future so I guess time will tell.

It isn't just old people, its old rich people. A vast majority of them have money, serve money interests above human interests. Im so tired of hearing "that wont change anything" when people voice Ideas. WE WONT KNOW UNLESS WE TRY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zaryia
@heirren said:

@zaryia:

Not necessarily. Games have shown to have a proven psychological effect on people. When theres money involved it heightens matters. From murders in korea to people hiring hitmen to eliminate competition in the Olympics(kerrigan and whats her name?)

Again, guns are just the means by which people act. The motivation is the important part.

Several countries play video games very highly yet have exponentially less violence. The big difference between those countries and USA is the amount of guns.

Guns make it easier.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Video games are 100% the problem. No one shot each other prior to video games. Everyone knows this. :P

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zaryia
@Solaryellow said:
@cainetao11 said:

Then speak up and lose the naivety.If the Reps are wrong for blaming games, the Dems are wrong for blaming firearms. This is nothing more than a societal issue.

But studies show it's not video games, and increasing gun control reduces gun violence.

Republicans are wrong to blame video games. Democrats are correct to blame guns.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#43  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Adam Jensen himself said it best:

That guy is an ignorant idiot. There have been mass shootings in Canada and gun violence is an issue as well. It is not that common, but it is indeed an issue. I personally knew 3 guys from my hometown that were murdered by a psycho with a gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@zaryia:

So this is an anti gun thread in disguise?

What you are saying is that you believe people are evil. You dont believe psychology has anything to do with ones behavior. It is all to blame on an inanimate object.

When bringing up different countries its also to remember the people have different cultures as well.

Im not even a pro gun person, btw.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@BassMan said:

That guy is an ignorant idiot. There have been mass shootings in Canada and gun violence is an issue as well. It is not that common, but it is indeed an issue. I personally knew 3 guys from my hometown that were murdered by a psycho with a gun.

Mass shootings are the new pass time in the US. Is it the new pass time in Canada?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cainetao11

@Solaryellow said:
@cainetao11 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@cainetao11 said:

Then speak up and lose the naivety.

If the Reps are wrong for blaming games, the Dems are wrong for blaming firearms. This is nothing more than a societal issue.

"Video games have been dragged into this by that lying racist in the white house and the GOP." No. Video Games have been the scapegoat for a good four decades.

I'll speak as I want to, not as you direct me too.

The problem is there is a first world of evidence that shows, less guns = less mass shootings. Why did it work in Australia?

Why doesnt any other developed country that doesn't have a population with the easy access to guns, that plays video games, and have mentally ill people yet don't have this mass shooting issue? What do these counties do that we don't?

LOL I never said it never happened in the past. But who is blaming the games now?

There was no internet for me when I was going to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer concerts and arguing with people older than me about Tipper and dems but I did it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@cainetao11 said:

I'll speak as I want to, not as you direct me too.

The problem is there is a first world of evidence that shows, less guns = less mass shootings. Why did it work in Australia?

Why doesnt any other developed country that doesn't have a population with the easy access to guns, that plays video games, and have mentally ill people yet don't have this mass shooting issue? What do these counties do that we don't?

LOL I never said it never happened in the past. But who is blaming the games now?

You speak madness. The fact that the US has 6 times the number of guns per person compared to Europe has nothing to do with mass shootings. :P

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

They're just saying video games as a distraction, same with all the other reasons (ie. mental health etc)... anything but the actual cause.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#49 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

@Pedro said:
@BassMan said:

Mass shootings are the new pass time in the US. Is it the new pass time in Canada?

Seriously dude, don't even go there. This is not something to joke about.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pedro

@BassMan said:

Seriously dude, don't even go there. This is not something to joke about.

You say that but no one is doing anything, so it is a joke. If it wasn't the issue would be taken seriously but its not.