Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sets new launch month sales record for a platform exclusive

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best-selling game of December 2018 and the fifth best-selling game of 2018, despite digital sales not currently being tracked by The NPD Group. Packaged software launch month dollar sales of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate exceeded those of the previous best in franchise history, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, by over 70 percent."

The previous record for launch month dollar sales was held by Halo: Reach, which originally released back in 2010. Moving beyond this record, Red Dead Redemption 2 managed to squeak away with the honor of being the best-selling game of 2018, while Smash Ultimate came in number five overall. Keeping with Nintendo accomplishments, Mario Kart 8 now ranks as the second best-selling racing game of all time, just barely behind Mario Kart Wii in overall dollar sales. These games and other Switch exclusives like Mario Tennis Aces also helped Nintendo claim the highest software revenue the company has seen since 2009.

"NICHE FRANCHISE"

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Fantastic game. Well deserved.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 93BlackHawk93

@ajstyles

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

It IS a niche franchise.

The only reason it sold well is because Nintendo switch has no games. Nintendo fans suffer massive game droughts all year so when a niche 7/10 game like smash comes out, everyone buys it.

When a person is dying from starvation, they will gladly spend money on ANY type of food regardless of the terrible quality.

I have long held the belief that Nintendo fans aren’t even real gamers. They refuse to buy anything non-Nintendo and they seem to have no problem playing nothing but 1 game all year.

They are the very definition of “casual”.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 93BlackHawk93

The very definition of delusional, amirite?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts

The game is incredible, and if you disagree it's probably because you didn't play it but love to talk about it (going to your cousin's house to play 15 minute sessions does not count).

I was always excited to play Smash Ultimate, but I'll admit prior to its release my excitement was rather lukewarm over the fact I've played every other Smash game.

The game managed to sink its claws in me and exceed my expectations. It took me a minute to dive into World of Light, but once I jumped into the single-player content I realized Ultimate has by far the most compelling single-player content of all Smash games (sorry Subspace fans). I can actually see myself playing through World of Light and enjoying it all over again, and that's something Subspace Emissary failed to do for me.

The gameplay and mechanics are incredibly fine-tuned and nuanced, this might be the best feeling Smash game to date. Upon reading all the reviews that came out for the game, I didn't fully understand the praise of "quality of life improvements" most reviewers were saying until many of these details started to positively effect my experience with the game.

I think Melee has been dethroned finally and that's a big deal.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8437 Posts
@ajstyles said:

It IS a niche franchise.

The only reason it sold well is because Nintendo switch has no games. Nintendo fans suffer massive game droughts all year so when a niche 7/10 game like smash comes out, everyone buys it.

When a person is dying from starvation, they will gladly spend money on ANY type of food regardless of the terrible quality.

I have long held the belief that Nintendo fans aren’t even real gamers. They refuse to buy anything non-Nintendo and they seem to have no problem playing nothing but 1 game all year.

@93BlackHawk93 said:

The very definition of delusional, amirite?

Troll-boy @ajstyles took the bait. :P

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

Game is absolutely fantastic ... it totally deserves all the praise is getting, no doubt one of the best games last year and a must have for pretty much everyone who loves fun.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ajstyles: Too much salt in your diet is bad for you friend.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Extremely impressive and very well deserved indeed. The game is fantastic.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p  Online
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

So great, there's a troll in this thread jelly of the game's success.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ajstyles said:

It IS a niche franchise.

0/10

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

These two threads cover this nicely.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/december-2018-npd-results-switch-xb1-ps4-xb1-ps4-s-33450636/

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/smash-bros-fucked-both-spider-man-and-god-of-war-w-33450629/

basically lol dad of war

and lol spiderman

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

This game is like fortnite to me, popular but I don't get what's all the hoopla.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@ajstyles said:

It IS a niche franchise.