onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 2991 Posts

It was previously reported days ago that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has become the best-selling entry in the series. That’s not the only milestone the Switch game has achieved. Interestingly enough, Smash Bros. Ultimate is now the best-selling fighting title of all time.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sales sit at 15.71 million copies based on the latest data provided by Nintendo last week. Street Fighter II, the previous record holder, sold 15.5 million units.

Super Smash Bros. is also the most popular fighting game franchise of all time. The series has shifted 53.03 million copies whereas other heavy hitters like Tekken, Dragon Ball, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat fall short at around the 45 to 47 million mark.

Source

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36726 Posts

@onesiphorus: Be prepared for the massive Zerg-like swarm that is fighting game purists. No... really. They'll consider Powerstone and anime/manga games from a 'behind the character' perspective (Dragon Ball Xenoverse, One Piece: Burning Blood, Naruto UN Storm) as more fighters than Smash.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 5478 Posts

Smash is the Mario Party of fighting games.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 39075 Posts

As it should be. I love fighting games and SSB series has been very good to me.

Sorry Mortal Kombat.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28864 Posts

Incredibly impressive sales numbers for a game on one system and that has been out for a little less then a year. Kudos to Nintendo. It’s an awesome game as well. Truly the ultimate Smash Bros. game to date.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2410 Posts

This is great news

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 13729 Posts

Well deserved.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8672 Posts

Yay?

Add the Ninja Turtles and I'll be excited for them.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5185 Posts

I still don't get Smash Bros, but cool, I guess?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5496 Posts

Its not a fighting game, but cool that it sold so well.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18149 Posts

@vfighter: It isn't a fighting game?

I guess that way the fighters engage on 2d plane (using light and strong attacks, blocks, throws and special moves) kind of threw me off.

It's easily confused with a fighting game, since it has all of the features of a fighting game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54168 Posts

@vfighter said:

What?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendoboy16

@Telekill: TMNT Smash Up for Wii and PS2. There you go.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nintendoboy16

@vfighter: "And here... we... go..." - Joker (Heath Ledger)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24669 Posts

Well deserved. It's huge. And while quite expensive, it costs about 10 times less than any other fighting game for the amount of content you get.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8763 Posts

@nintendoboy16: @lundy86_4: that is correct. Even "pro" players say it, the community agrees. You fight in it though. Doesn't mean it can't be a good game in respects.

Example of the same principle: "The Bouncer" for PS2 is a beat 'em up.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17  Edited By MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 1959 Posts

That's pretty good news.

I don't think Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 will able to dethrone that in terms of reviews and sales too.
Just like how the first PASBR is inferior to Super Smash Bros Brawl in terms of every aspect.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@nintendoboy16: @lundy86_4: that is correct. Even "pro" players say it, the community agrees. You fight in it though. Doesn't mean it can't be a good game in respects.

Since we're playing this, here are "not shooters", yeah there is shooting in them, but...

...one series has deeper melee combat than shooting.

Loading Video...

...and the other doesn't have guns at all, let alone killing.

Loading Video...

Not every game in a genre has to stick to status quo, and it's sad that there are purists in the FGC that know that, but still find a way to exclude Smash from the genre because... reasons?

But anime games that break the rules of the genre in their own way? Nope, it's fine, they can stay.

Loading Video...

Or even ANOTHER party centric IP is better excepted then Smash. *gag me*

Loading Video...

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1032 Posts

Ah, Yes. "Fighting" game.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3549 Posts

Smash is great brawler, that has a formula that sets itself apart from traditional fighters, its also extremely accessible to newcomers yet has a a very high level skill cap allowing pros to have something to try and master as well. It has a good balance of casual and hardcore, which alot of fighting games end up just falling into one or the other.

Also having the option of 4+ now even 8+ players at once makes it one of the best MP fighters for when you have people over.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29505 Posts

Smash Ultimate has an insane amount of content. Well deserved.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18149 Posts

@ocinom: If you're trying to say it isn't a fighting game, then you need to explain why it isn't a fighting game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13812 Posts

It took 27 years for a fighting game to finally topple Street Fighter II as the software sales king. And of all the games, it had to be a Smash Bros game. But at least it features Ryu and Ken, so there's a Street Fighter connection.

However, it's worth noting that SF2 was bundled with the SNES Classic. If we include the SNES Classic sales, then SF2 has shifted over 20 million copies, which would still put it ahead. Although that might be cheating.

It's also worth noting that SF2 still remains the highest-grossing fighting game by a wide margin, with over $10 billion in gross revenue. Not only is it the highest-grossing fighter, but SF2 is one of the top 3 highest-grossing games of all time, along with Space Invaders and Pac-Man.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online

@vfighter said:

Excuse me? Are you joking or what? Super Smash Bros. has always been a fighting game and it says it on the label.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 5449 Posts

I don't consider Smash Brothers to be fighting game.. more like a party brawl or some shit.. it's like it's own genre. It just doesn't fit into the fighting category to me. To each their own, but it is different to me.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11654 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

I don't consider Smash Brothers to be fighting game.. more like a party brawl or some shit.. it's like it's own genre. It just doesn't fit into the fighting category to me. To each their own, but it is different to me.

Same. At the end of the day I don't really give a shit. Some people are really insecure about their labels though.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#27 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6172 Posts

Funny thing about this news is Coolyfett has never played Super Smash Bros at all. Not once. The Mortal Kombat\Injustice series of games have gotten the most play time from Coolyfett. Even way more than Street Fighter. Good for Nintendo. Coolyfett may need to finally check this series out.

@onesiphorus said:

It was previously reported days ago that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has become the best-selling entry in the series. That’s not the only milestone the Switch game has achieved. Interestingly enough, Smash Bros. Ultimate is now the best-selling fighting title of all time.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sales sit at 15.71 million copies based on the latest data provided by Nintendo last week. Street Fighter II, the previous record holder, sold 15.5 million units.

Super Smash Bros. is also the most popular fighting game franchise of all time. The series has shifted 53.03 million copies whereas other heavy hitters like Tekken, Dragon Ball, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat fall short at around the 45 to 47 million mark.

Source

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online

@Coolyfett: DaVillain thinks you need to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate like asap!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24669 Posts

@davillain- said:

@Coolyfett: DaVillain thinks you need to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate like asap!

Litchie too!

If Coolyfett have friends to play with..

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 8175 Posts

@Jag85:

Ummm SSBU was bundled with the switch as well. I know because that's the version of the switch that I currently own.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 2679 Posts

@ermacness: the fact people when buying the consoles show a desire to get the Smash bundle over other bundles or just buying the system alone or the Lite shows this game is a system seller.

‐--------------

And congratulations to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. While being the best selling fighting game is unnecessary, it's a cool merit the game can wear on its sleeve.

I love the game so much. It is easily the greatest Smash game to date. I've played every single Smash game thoroughly and each game is jam packed with content, but I believe the content in Ultimate is among the most refined and balanced. The fact out of an insane growing roster of characters, each and every one of them are packed with detail and personality. If you look at Smash from far back, all you'll probably see is characters bashing into each other and hard to follow, but when you actually get into it and see, you see how much detail and attention they gave to every character and how they express their franchises they come from.

Terry Bogard came out today, as well as his stage and 50 tracks of SNK music. I am absolutely loving this addition. SNK music is a huge welcome to the already amazing and diverse soundtrack of the game. Playing Terry so far feels amazing as well. I'm having an early impression, he might just end up being the best fighting game fighters to the game, and he feels like a natural fit to Smash Bros. I feel like Terry should be a permanent member of the roster for any future releases.

For predictions I'm seeing a lot of leaks closing in on the final Fighter pass character to be either Doom Slayer or Geno. I feel like Doom Slayer would make a lot of sense given the pattern of the Fighter pass, and Doom would be amazing to have in Smash. I feel like Geno could be announced as one of the post-Fighter pass characters.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jag85

@ermacness said:

@Jag85:

Ummm SSBU was bundled with the switch as well. I know because that's the version of the switch that I currently own.

What I mean is that SF2 is part of a large collection of games bundled with the SNES Classic. Which might be why the SNES Classic version isn't included in the SF2 sales.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26909 Posts

Industry: For $10 you can get a new color palette for the main character. Only if you pre-order, though. Art is expensive.

Nintendo: A new fighter with voice work and several colors, a new stage with a new mechanic where we toss in around 20 cameo's, and 50 something songs, oh and a small new solo challenge. $6 please.

The industry cannot compete.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22006 Posts

best selling kart racer franchise is on nintendo (mario kart)

best selling platformer franchise is on nintendo (mario)

best selling fighting game franchise is on nintendo (smash)

best selling adventure game franchise is on nintendo (zelda)

best selling RPG franchise is on nintendo (pokemon)

the only thing left for nintendo to conquer is a shooter. however i dont think splatoon will be able to do that unless the next game is more robust with conent and higher production values. call of duty will never be beat i think. although splatoon is a 3rd person shooter so maybe it can win that category? gears of war is the only real competition i think for 3rd person shooter.

sim racing probably wont win on nintendo either since those games are based on graphics.

i wonder if nintendo will ever conquer stealth? beat kojima at his own game?

i think rockstar has open world games on lock as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 36038 Posts

@Jag85 said:

It took 27 years for a fighting game to finally topple Street Fighter II as the software sales king. And of all the games, it had to be a Smash Bros game. But at least it features Ryu and Ken, so there's a Street Fighter connection.

However, it's worth noting that SF2 was bundled with the SNES Classic. If we include the SNES Classic sales, then SF2 has shifted over 20 million copies, which would still put it ahead. Although that might be cheating.

It's also worth noting that SF2 still remains the highest-grossing fighting game by a wide margin, with over $10 billion in gross revenue. Not only is it the highest-grossing fighter, but SF2 is one of the top 3 highest-grossing games of all time, along with Space Invaders and Pac-Man.

Based Capcom.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 8763 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Since we're playing this, here are "not shooters", yeah there is shooting in them, but...

Not every game in a genre has to stick to status quo, and it's sad that there are purists in the FGC that know that, but still find a way to exclude Smash from the genre because... reasons?

But anime games that break the rules of the genre in their own way? Nope, it's fine, they can stay.

Nah Splatoon is a straight up shooter my dude. Game is an excellent team shooter and people into those games should really give it a look.

Powerstone is not really a fighting game. It has more fighting game mechanics than say, The Bouncer (also 4 players) or Smash bros, but still, not a fg. Good game though.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85

@uninspiredcup: Yup, Capcom sure know how to milk their cash cows.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 uninspiredcup
@Jag85 said:

People complain about DLC nowadays but they seem to forget with fighting games the only option for expansion of refinement was to buy an entirely new version of the product.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ermacness

@KBFloYd:

So BotW beat out The Witcher 3?

Link please?...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Nah Splatoon is a straight up shooter my dude. Game is an excellent team shooter and people into those games should really give it a look.

Powerstone is not really a fighting game. It has more fighting game mechanics than say, The Bouncer (also 4 players) or Smash bros, but still, not a fg. Good game though.

Splatoon ain't a traditional shooter though. Not when the bigger goal is to claim more land by paint than take out more enemies.

Not sure why we're debating this still... it's the "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?" of video game debates.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

People complain about DLC nowadays but they seem to forget with fighting games the only option for expansion of refinement was to buy an entirely new version of the product.

I'm pretty sure Capcom's full-price SF2 updates was the start of the whole DLC trend. But it's worth noting that most of the SF2 money actually came from arcade coins, the original MTX.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VFighter

@ermacness: I'm guessing he means all Zelda games.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ermacness

@vfighter:

Well he needs to specify because the thread title clearly states that SSBU is the highest selling fighter ever. The thread isn't referring to the series.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1377 Posts

It feels like the least liked fighting game, as in, just felt a small group of people actually thought it was good, you know the kind who played the NGC copy for years and refused to give it up.

I guess when they bothered making NGC controllers for people to use in Smash, I should have realized not some little group of Smashies.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

I'm pretty sure Capcom's full-price SF2 updates was the start of the whole DLC trend. But it's worth noting that most of the SF2 money actually came from arcade coins, the original MTX.

Na, PC mission packs and expansions existed before this, although most of them were free.

Generally no problem with season passes in concept, they are basically expansion packs in the majority of cases.

However, (as with SFV) when they are upfront wanting £20 for 4-5 characters, but don't actually explain what we are buying in any shape or form, no thanks. Of course the consumer can buy them separately, but the price incrementally increases.

Still, with abit of patience, it's still a heck of a lot better than rebuying an entire product over again, counter to that though, many games are launching as games as as service, whereby the base product is usually a bare-bones mess to begin with, demanding as much money as humanly possible adopting a now repetitive attitude of "we will fix it later, so so sorry".

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18538 Posts

Own it... Played it... Honestly cannot see why this game is so loved, outside of some friend get-togethers. Just not for me.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VFighter

@uninspiredcup: I always wait and buy the character packs for SFV after they've all been announced and on sale. 4-5 characters isn't a bad deal when they're only $10 on sale.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 uninspiredcup

@vfighter: Yep, same. Tend to find when buying them, they are barely if ever used thanks to a tendency to sticking to 2-3 characters. Not sure if this is the case for most people playing online.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

Na, PC mission packs and expansions existed before this, although most of them were free.

Generally no problem with season passes in concept, they are basically expansion packs in the majority of cases.

However, (as with SFV) when they are upfront wanting £20 for 4-5 characters, but don't actually explain what we are buying in any shape or form, no thanks. Of course the consumer can buy them separately, but the price incrementally increases.

Still, with abit of patience, it's still a heck of a lot better than rebuying an entire product over again, counter to that though, many games are launching as games as as service, whereby the base product is usually a bare-bones mess to begin with, demanding as much money as humanly possible adopting a now repetitive attitude of "we will fix it later, so so sorry".

I meant paid DLC. But almost forgot about those old PC expansion packs. The earliest examples of paid PC expansion packs I can think of is the Wizardry series. Or if we include arcade revisions, then that goes even further back to Space Invaders, although it was the operators who paid for the upgrades rather than the consumers, who instead paid for the arcade credits (the original MTX).

Let's also not forget how expensive cartridge games were back then. SF2 cartridges cost the equivalent of something like £100 today. And the upgraded versions barely cost much less. Capcom may get a lot of hate for DLC, but that's still an improvement over their business practices in the '90s (at least on consoles).