Super Mario U deluxe 7/10 on Gamespot

• 90 results
#1 Posted by TheEroica (18016 posts) -

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-review-its-a-me-agai/1900-6417061/

Pretty sure the very best way to describe this game review is to say it's still a great game, but feeling less "New" Super Mario.

I personally never picked up the game previously so I may give it a shot sometime soon. I really love 2d platformers but I have a few still to play.

#2 Posted by DocSanchez (5011 posts) -

Oof. An incredibly lazy original game gets an incredibly lazy port...for full price. 7 is generous.

#3 Posted by KungfuKitten (26052 posts) -

I wonder what the score would be for someone who did not play the original like me.

#4 Edited by Sgt_Crow (6005 posts) -

New Super Mario Bros. is extremely boring after the incredible Mario Odyssey, especially since it's a port.
I guess the reviewer felt the same way.

#5 Posted by The_Deepblue (757 posts) -

@Sgt_Crow: It doesn't seem fair to compare the two, though. The games have the same characters and technically fall into the same series, but they play as totally different games, most obviously due to one being a 2D entry and the other a 3D entry.

I still want to get this deluxe edition at some point, but I do respect the 7 score.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (50848 posts) -

The pricing of Switch games is something to behold.

#7 Posted by uninspiredcup (30047 posts) -

The main complaint seems to be that it's fa miler, which is fine, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Tradtional experience is exactly what i'm after.

Price tag, he should have complained about, as with Tropical Freeze.

#8 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

It’s lacklustre games like this that make me not want a Switch. Honestly, the only WiiU game I enjoyed was Super Mario World 3D.

#9 Posted by sakaiXx (4529 posts) -

7 is being generous. Its a mario game and a fukin port

#10 Posted by mojito1988 (3356 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

The main complaint seems to be that it's fa miler, which is fine, doesn't bother me in the slightest. Tradtional experience is exactly what i'm after.

Price tag, he should have complained about, as with Tropical Freeze.

This. It should be $39.99 at the very most.

#11 Posted by Oemenia (10355 posts) -

Now imagine without the Nintendo bump!

#12 Posted by pyro1245 (4417 posts) -

Cool. Well it's gonna be new to me.

Though I don't think I'll be buying it as soon as it launches.

#13 Posted by TheEroica (18016 posts) -

@KungfuKitten: I never played it either... Its a brand new game to me.

#14 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@KungfuKitten said:

I wonder what the score would be for someone who did not play the original like me.

#15 Posted by FinalFighters (3015 posts) -

$60 for a 6 year old port..Ridiculous.

#16 Posted by dzimm (5133 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:

$60 for a quality game that is fun and has good replay value. Not so ridiculous.

#17 Posted by pdogg93 (1248 posts) -

lol switch.

#18 Posted by SecretPolice (34345 posts) -

Try doing something like this on X1 and GS would have scored it a 2/10. :P

#19 Edited by Solaryellow (4556 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

The pricing of Switch games is something to behold.

Have you checked the price(s) of the Wii U version as well as the Luigi expansion?

Edit: On a side note, I can't remember if there are any secret levels like we saw in the 3DS platformer.

#20 Posted by Xabiss (2202 posts) -

Game is fun and I cant wait to play it on Switch.

#21 Posted by DaVillain- (33768 posts) -

#22 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29827 posts) -

I just can't get over the fact that I paid 40 euro for these games (Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros U, Donkey Kong Country) on WiiU and years later the same games are released for Switch with a 50% price hike.

#23 Posted by Archangel3371 (26729 posts) -

Fine with me. I had a great time with the Wii U version and am very much looking forward to having a great time with the Switch version as well.

#24 Edited by uninspiredcup (30047 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I just can't get over the fact that I paid 40 euro for these games (Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros U, Donkey Kong Country) on WiiU and years later the same games are released for Switch with a 50% price hike.

It's shitty, but from a business perspective clever. Alot of people simply didn't buy a WiiU, so it might as well be new games to them.

Nintendos arrogance is pretty astounding, especially when it comes to it's (fucking awful) paid for online.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (30047 posts) -

Digital Foundry

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-new-super-mario-bros-u-deluxe-tech-analysis

Loading Video...

#26 Posted by lundy86_4 (51139 posts) -

Not bad. I have yet to play the game, so i'll enjoy it for my first try.

#27 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2038 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Try doing something like this on X1 and GS would have scored it a 2/10. :P

I hate to say this but for once I agree with you lmao

#28 Posted by SecretPolice (34345 posts) -

@valgaav_219:

:)

lol

#29 Posted by Xabiss (2202 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Looks great to me!

#30 Posted by onesiphorus (2655 posts) -

The original Wii U game which Deluxe is based on was reviewed by GameSpot and was given a 8.5 score (before GameSpot dropped the half-point in latter reviews). A 7 score is surprising as I thought that GameSpot will give it a 6 for lack of originality.

#31 Posted by jaydan (1732 posts) -

I have not played a single New Super Mario Bros. game since the original one that came out on the DS. The original feels like such a relic at this point. I am surprised they have been making these games all along. It doesn't matter to me, I still have no desire in buying this one.

#32 Posted by Litchie (22900 posts) -

Score seems about right. It's a good game, but it's also old and is being sold like a new game. Game itself is an 8 to me. Nintendo's business practice with this game gets a 3/10.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#33 Posted by drummerdave9099 (3968 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@KungfuKitten: I never played it either... Its a brand new game to me.

It's tough to explain- I've beaten all 4 NSMB games. I would rank this one the best, but I don't think any of them are tremendous, especially when you compare them to SMB3 or SMW.

None of them are hard games at all, this one is probably the hardest, but still pretty easy overall. It looks good, it plays well, it has a few new ideas not in the other ones like the baby yoshis and the flying squirrel suit which is pretty fun.

The franchise was experiencing fatigue at this point though. If it weren't for the other NSMB games it would probably be loved a lot more, but its another grass land, desert land, water land, poison land, snow land, mountain land, lava land which is just tremendously played out in all these games (and also frustrated me in Odyssey).

I'd give it an 8/10, and the others a 7 or 6. Worth your $ if you like 2D Mario, have never played it before, and especially if you never played the other NSMB games (or haven't in a long time)

Mario Maker would have been a much more well received port.

#34 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (7042 posts) -
@DocSanchez said:

Oof. An incredibly lazy original game gets an incredibly lazy port...for full price. 7 is generous.

Exactly.

Frankly the original game should have launched at budget price. Game looks like a higher res version of the Wii game which already wasn't a looker even by Wii standards.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
#35 Posted by EyeBoonsEyebrow (274 posts) -

Flop. Not surprising. The NSMB are shit and probably the worst 2d Mario games ever made. Hideous art styles and they should have stayed dead with the Wii era consoles.

#36 Posted by BlueIon (92 posts) -

I was expecting this game to score just a TAD higher...still doesen’t change my decision to get it next month tho :)

#37 Edited by cainetao11 (36009 posts) -

No desire to play on my WiiU and then no desire to play it now on my Switch. Only the fact that its Mario keeps it above a 5/10

#38 Posted by Mandzilla (2742 posts) -

@cainetao11: The original game got an 8.5/10. This is a fair score for a port.

#39 Posted by cainetao11 (36009 posts) -

@mandzilla said:

@cainetao11: The original game got an 8.5/10. This is a fair score for a port.

According to you.

#40 Posted by KBFloYd (21236 posts) -

bu but..switch games get 9 and 10 for nostalgia!

a 7? nintendo didnt pay of the reviewers! thats why

/sarcasm

#41 Posted by Mandzilla (2742 posts) -

@cainetao11: Yup my bad, should have put 'in my opinion.'

#42 Edited by KBFloYd (21236 posts) -

@eyeboonseyebrow said:

Flop. Not surprising. The NSMB are shit and probably the worst 2d Mario games ever made. Hideous art styles and they should have stayed dead with the Wii era consoles.

this game is flop proof. its a 2D mario game. It's garunteed to sell millions. it could of got a 0/10 and still outsell any 2d platformer on playstation.

although this is a port. the original scored an 8. so back then it was sort of a flop critically.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
#43 Edited by EyeBoonsEyebrow (274 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:
@eyeboonseyebrow said:

this game is flop proof. its a 2D mario game. It's garunteed to sell millions. it could of got a 0/10 and still outsell any 2d platformer on playstation.

although this is a port. the original scored an 8. so back then it was sort of a flop critically.

I know it will sell millions. I was talking more critically flop. Porting this game is easy money for Nintendo. They know their fans will buy a turd if it has the Nintendo logo on the side of it. That was proven last year with the card board thing.

#44 Posted by jeezers (2105 posts) -

i skipped wii u so i know ill enjoy playing through it, will wait for a price drop tho, same as i did with bayonetta 2. skipping the wii U was such a good decision lol.

#45 Posted by Solaryellow (4556 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

The thing will put up excellent numbers and how can it not. Like other Mario themed games it will have long legs. You'd pay more to play this on the Wii U (today years after release) than you would to play this on Switch. A brand new copy of Luigi U is insane and alone would cost more than the deluxe version.

#46 Posted by robert_sparkes (2039 posts) -

A 7 is about right as it is just a remaster with a handful of extras. It's worth it if you didn't play the Wii u version. For me though too many 2D games have done it better like Ori so it's strange going back to the basics of 2D mario.

#47 Posted by Papermario (238 posts) -
@dzimm said:
@FinalFighters said:

$60 for a quality game that is fun and has good replay value. Not so ridiculous.

not 60 $ worth replay value..more like a 30$ game to me...

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#48 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (3592 posts) -
@FinalFighters said:

Nintendo gaming, folks. Easiest fanbase to milk money out of.

#49 Posted by TheEroica (18016 posts) -

@drummerdave9099: I'd love a Mario maker update.... That game was crazy good.

#50 Posted by MarioFan264 (1012 posts) -
@dzimm said:
@FinalFighters said:

Ah yes. Such great replay value that when I got this game for free with my Wii U I couldn't even get through it the first time. Even Pokemon LGP/E has more value than this, and that game most certainly shouldn't have been even half of $60 either.