Super Mario 3D World is a blast!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I gotta say, only Nintendo can make an old school type game feel fresh. Which is a great thing, because the new consoles are moving away from that type of thing (and it's becoming more expensive; gotta pay $50 for online). Played with a few friends yesterday and it was good ol school co-op fun. Anyone else pick it up?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Picking it up as soon as I get $10. I'm that shy of getting it :P I can't wait to get it though

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah and I've already sunk over 10 hours into it. That Tokyo team is just incredible. They've taken one of the longest running franchises in gaming history and made something completely fresh and creative yet again.

I'm on some of the latest levels now and I can assure you the challenge sky rockets towards the end. It's a properly satisfying platformer and perhaps a further example that Nintendo EAD Tokyo is still taking steps towards making the perfect 3D platformer. I have to say that this might be their best effort yet.

P.S. the multiplying cherry power up is just crazy!

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

I saw my niece playing this the other day and I laugh at her.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@supercowelitist: your niece laughs at you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

it is en route by mail atm so yeah gonna be good. Something about the elegance of gameplay that they manage to create which I simply can not ignore.

Sure we can have "mature" games (read whatever gameplay, as long as it is bloody and gritty, then it is good, right?) But something to be said about a happy game with good gameplay that is simply happy.

However it is only my 4th Wii U game, so I do hope the console gets some more traction, I do not require alot of games for it, a few very Unique ones will Do, I am mainly a PC gamer, Getting the PS4/Vita bundle, but Nintendo games like these? come on. If you do not have and love the MArio Bros and LoZ games then there is just something fundamently wrong.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

Truly a great game , havin a blast with my kid doing multiplayer she loved the cat upgrade

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

It releases the 29th over here.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Great to hear. I plan on picking it up this week sometime.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

It's pretty clear Nintendo's future is in good hands post-Miyamoto. Miyamoto has established a new generation of talented people in EAD Tokyo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That's probably why it has a 94 on Metacritic.

kazrium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 kazrium
Member since 2006 • 1632 Posts

I want to get this game, but I just got Link to the Past. Might have to wait until that is done, since it is ruling my life atm.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44532 Posts

I picked up my copy but I'm waiting to finish Wind Waker first before playing it. I feel quitting games midway through to play others is a bad habit and leads to having a large backlog of games to finish.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#14 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

it seems like Galaxy without the gravity to me, which sounds good. I thought the gravity elements of Galaxy were overrated and a bit of a gimmick.

SharpBlades3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SharpBlades3
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I haven't purchased a Nintendo console since the N64 & Gamecube, but I love seeing some of these new games... a Wii U might be on the purchase list early next year. I always loved Nintendo, ever since the NES, but just didn't get into the last two consoles until the last few weeks reading about some the great re-hashes coming down the pike. (and I don't mean "re-hash" as a negative)

It might just be Wii U > XBone for me this generation (I've got the PS4)...nah, probably not, but it's nice to be interested in N again, and I'll consider picking up a U before the X next year. Good for Nintendo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@SharpBlades3 said:

I haven't purchased a Nintendo console since the N64 & Gamecube, but I love seeing some of these new games... a Wii U might be on the purchase list early next year. I always loved Nintendo, ever since the NES, but just didn't get into the last two consoles until the last few weeks reading about some the great re-hashes coming down the pike. (and I don't mean "re-hash" as a negative)

It might just be Wii U > XBone for me this generation (I've got the PS4)...nah, probably not, but it's nice to be interested in N again, and I'll consider picking up a U before the X next year. Good for Nintendo.

The only "rehashes" Nintendo has ever produced is the NSMB series. But despite the bland art style and conspicuous nostalgia tugging, they are still very well-made and cleverly designed games.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#17 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Was going to wait til Decemeber to get a Wii U, but I caved and bought the Zelda bundle version and a copy of Super Mario 3D World yesterday. So far, it feels like a wonderful mesh of Super Mario Galaxy and 3D Land in terms of depth. That said, it's not quite as good as the Galaxy games, but expecting any platformer to be that awesome ain't right. 3D World is excellent!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

It is a great game, nice to see a mario in hd finally. I bought a wiiu for this game,got a good deal from a buddy. I know there will only be a few great games like this trough out the wiiu generation, but I ok with that.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Wow. 94 on Metacritic, and early in the gen too. That will help Wii U.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

I'll the hell out of it during Christmas vacations,can't wait

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#23 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I still think it has somewhere to go before people say it's better than Galaxy and 64 but it looks a great title.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#24  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

What'd you expect? It's Nintendo, the gaming king.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Good on you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

Picked this up along with all my xb1 games. Hard to pull away from forza and others but Mario is great. just got to world 2.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Damn the game looks great. The level design looks really solid. Seems like co op is even more fun than in New Super Mario Bros. wii and u. They actually have a point system so you can actually be rewarded for impairing your friends progress.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@SharpBlades3 said:

The only "rehashes" Nintendo has ever produced is the NSMB series. But despite the bland art style and conspicuous nostalgia tugging, they are still very well-made and cleverly designed games.

Mario Party comes to mind as well.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think this is easily the best Mario game that I have ever played. I "beat" the game last night. I still have to mop up the remaining stars and play the levels that I just unlocked. I think that the timed runs against the ghost Mii's are a very nice touch and can't help but think that Nintendo might have slightly missed the boat by leaving out online multiplayer. I don't really mind the lack of an online coop mode anymore, as that would have really just been more of an exercise in frustration than anything else, but I think they should have included a competitive multiplayer mode where you impede the other players' progress and race to the flag. It would sort of be like Mario Kart on foot with no track, and it would be awesome. It would make this the best game I have ever played instead of just one of the best.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Congratulations on your first good game ;)