Super Mario 3D Land Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TankBusterJenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TankBusterJenn
Member since 2011 • 154 Posts

So I just got back from the second day of New York Comic Con 2011. Nintendo once again has a booth set up with their demos from E3, so I played a few of them so I could share with you guys here.

Super Mario 3D land. Where do I begin? For starters, perhaps I'll talk about some of my expectations before I played it.

Let me make this clear right now: I'm a very, very big fan of both traits of Mario games: I grew up with the 2D ones, from 1 and onward, and I spent my teenage years with 3D Mario. I've always loved both (though more specifically, I always loved Mario 64). Before playing Super Mario 3D land, I watched a lot of videos, and saw all the interviews and stuff. Now aside from the insulting comments from Miyamoto and the stupid things he put in this game, I was hoping, deep down inside, that at the very least, it would be at least a little faithful to the fun, now traditional 3D type I've enjoyed in the past.

Boy was I wrong.

The first thing I want to make clear is that, though this is obvious by now, this is not 2D Mario. Not even in the slightest, most stretched definition of the term. But there's something else you may not have been expecting that you hadn't noticed either, that became very clear as I played this game: this is not 3D Mario either. This is some seriously twisted bastard child of 3D Mario, with gimmicks packed in by the shovelful, no polish, and most of all, no content.

So, as you've all probably seen, the demo lets you sample 4 different levels. You also have probably heard that the timer from 2D Mario games is here. Why though, I'll never know. I want you to picture this. Do you remember Super Mario Sunshine's bonus no-pack levels? Okay, think of the shortest one you possibly can, in all its generic glory, and then chop 3/4ths of it off. That's a level in Super Mario 3D land. They are by far the shortest levels I've ever played in any mario game ever. They go by in such a meaningless, forgettable blur. Every stage is completely contentless (I played the first 3 out of the 4). I mean, they really are the most generic, boring, worthless stages I've ever seen. Nothing about it is threatening (the first stage has moving platforms you have to jump on, but for some reason there's a platform underneath them so you can't die if you fall off anyway???), nothing about it is remotely interesting or fun, and the stages are so laughably short I really thought someone was playing a prank on me. Seriously,

I can't stress this enough: the. levels. are. so. short. it's. a. joke.

The Tanooki tail. What a worthless addition. The attack is basically what you'd expect, but pretty worthless considering:

1. this is a 3D game

2. there's no point in attacking when nothing in the levels is a threat.

For some weird reason, instead of pressing the button repeatedly to glide, you hold it instead. Every single person at the table was constantly asking the Nintendo rep how to turn into the statue, only to be met with disappointment when he told them you can't. No matter what it might look like, this just isn't the actual tanooki powerup from SMB3. This is something else entirely, and boy does it suck.

Something else that might be the only thing I would consider what I hated more than the length of the levels: the controls. Oh my god I hate these controls so much, and they're a big part of the reason I don't consider this a 3D Mario game. I can't tell how much of it is the game and how much of it is the fact that the slide pad is terrible for 3D mario, but either way it's garbage.

He's just so frustrating to control, it doesn't feel fluid at all. The analog stick was so great at giving you precise control and allowing you to move with very specific amounts of precision, but the slide pad just can't do it at all. You're either going full blast or you aren't. And it makes the levels so, so frustrating to play. The third level is one that takes place in the sky, and I got frustrated with it so fast I ended up walking away from the booth. And no, I'm not a novice, I'm anything but: I've 100% all the 3D Mario games (except galaxy 2 which I've never played), and I never thought anything about them was particularly challenging. I'm amazing at pretty much any Mario game I play, 2D or 3D, so the issue here definitely wasn't challenge.

The controls were just so godawful to the point of being frustrating. It was really hard to accept at first, because I've never played a mario game with controls this bad. I kept trying and trying and trying, but just kept finding myself dying, not from challenge, but from a lack of precision in the controls. It was really unbelievable, and I'm honestly considering trying it again just to see if I might have been wrong.

The only other thing I can think to touch on is the 3D effect. What people had said was that they noticed a lot of attention had went into putting lots of polish into the 3D (it sure as HELL isn't anywhere else). One thing I can give them credit for (literally the only thing), is that they definitely are using the 3D for the actual gameplay. That's where the positives end. Let me guarantee you something: the 3D in this game does not help you judge distances when jumping. Not at all. If anything, the 3D effect just made the game that much harder for me, because the 3DS is just so finicky about the 3D effect only working when you view it at a certain angle, so while you're standing there trying to make jumps accurately you're also constantly readjusting the angle of the screen so the whole thing isn't a huge blur as you play, so that's just ONE MORE thing frustrating you while you're making relatively easy jumps with crap controls (and still dying). Nothing about the 3D is really impressive or adds to the experience at all, all it does is piss you off. It's a gimmick at best, and a annoyance at worst.

I've said a lot of things and I could probably say a whole lot more, but I'll sum it up: Super Mario 3D land is the worst Mario game I've ever played in my life, and might just be the worst game Miyamoto has ever made. It's a completely contentless, frustrating, insulting piece of garbage with levels the size of my thumb. You'll hate it if you're a 2D Mario fan, you'll hate it if you're a 3D Mario fan, and you'll hate it if you're a fan of good games in general. Nintendo apologists are going to have to dig really, really deep to justify this pile of dogcrap. It's nothing more than an unpolished insult to gaming, and has no right to bear Mario's name.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's just a demo yo.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

Based on the videos I believe you

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ImSwordMan
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

This isnt really a review, more of a preview since you just played a demo

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Do you mean a preview?
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 peterw007
Member since 2005 • 3653 Posts

Hey TC, cool blog.

What does it have to do with SW again?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Demo.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Interesting article.

I'll still pick it up on release and judge for myself. I think you're exaggerating the level lengths, though.

TankBusterJenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TankBusterJenn

Ah, so you are just copying and pasting posts from there to here.

Slashkice
Oh really? Where?
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

You should make some original topics, yo.

Original as in not just near copy and paste. >.>

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

It looks a little generic and unpolished to me, too, but I think I'm still going to try it out. I like my platformers. Some games are worth the hassle for me (like Scribblenauts). Despite the hate that game got for its controls, I enjoyed the concept enough to rough it out and work around its bugs. Still a fun game. Hopefully this one will be, too. I don't care much for for the circle pad either. I'm hoping that if there is a new version of the 3DS in the future, that they enlarge the D-pad and improve the circle pad somehow. And get rid of that damn gloss. Other than that, perfect.

AngryJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AngryJuice
Member since 2011 • 305 Posts
[QUOTE="timmy00"]

Original as in not just copy and paste. >.>

TankBusterJenn
I tried Googling my original review and I could not find anything. Thanks for trying to lie .

Woah, no need to call him that. That's taking things a bit too far.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
nice job judging a whole game on an old demo all the way back from e3
mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I tried Googling my original review and I could not find anything. Thanks for trying to lie *****.TankBusterJenn

Let's keep it civilized, okay? :|

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Found this on that board that shall not be named.

TankBusterJenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TankBusterJenn
Do you mean a preview?funsohng

ImSwordMan
No I'm going to declare this a review. It's way too close to completion to be considered a preview.
ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ImSwordMan
[QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"] No I'm going to declare this a review. It's way too close to completion to be considered a preview.

But its not the final product, therefore it shouldnt be a review :/
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"]Do you mean a preview?TankBusterJenn

ImSwordMan
No I'm going to declare this a review. It's way too close to completion to be considered a preview.

It's an old e3 demo :| It only had 4 friggin levels. Do you really believe thats enough to review a game on?
TankBusterJenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TankBusterJenn
[QUOTE="ImSwordMan"][QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"] No I'm going to declare this a review. It's way too close to completion to be considered a preview.

When it's 97% completion for game development it doesn't matter.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

TankBusterJenn

I tried Googling my original review and I could not find anything. Thanks for trying to lie scumbag.

Read my post again, yo.

Doesn't matter anyways. This is barely a review.

Moar edit- I do like what you called me though. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

ImSwordMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ImSwordMan
[QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"][QUOTE="ImSwordMan"][QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"] No I'm going to declare this a review. It's way too close to completion to be considered a preview.

Was it at 97% the time e3 was around, you know when the demo was released? probably not
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Reviewing a demo?

I'll wait for gamespots and ign's and Gameinformers review.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

About the controls; have you played Super Mario 64 DS?

TankBusterJenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TankBusterJenn

Epak_
Yeah it was a rehash.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

TankBusterJenn

Yeah it was a rehash.

That doesn't matter. How'd you like the controls? They sure get trashed a lot but the game is far from playable.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"][QUOTE="ImSwordMan"][QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"] No I'm going to declare this a review. It's way too close to completion to be considered a preview.

Doesn't matter how close it is to completion (which you probably have no clear idea anyway), you only played small part of an entire game and call it a review. That's why it's wrong to call this a review. Say, if I play Gears of War 3 for one hour and write my impression and call it a review, is it a right thing? no.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
A review of a demo. I lol'd.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

[QUOTE="timmy00"]

TankBusterJenn

I tried Googling my original review and I could not find anything. Thanks for trying to lie ****

Yeah...you won't last much in GS.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Cool story bro

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Worst PREVIEW ever with no credibility what-so-ever.

Lambent7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lambent7
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts
I'm gonna laugh when everyone here is deny this game could possibly be crap...and when it comes out it is...it may be a demo but one at 97% completion? There something wrong with that. The levels getting longer isn't really going to help when the controls suck in general. Super Mario 3DS looked bad from when I first saw it.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
it never ceases to amaze me when some threads just don't get locked when they should
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 peterw007

We have no idea where this "review" came from. So, we have no idea if this guy is telling the truth or not.

Even if he is, we have no idea if the levels were just sample, demo levels or if they actually represented in-game levels.

And even if they did actually represent in-game levels, we have no idea how many levels are included...or if these are just the beginning levels...

It's all way too nebulous to take anything in this thread seriously.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

We have no idea where this "review" came from. So, we have no idea if this guy is telling the truth or not.

peterw007

Google FTW

Quite simple, but never even heard of that board :| He lost all credibility by saying the slide pad is terrible for 3D Mario. It's no different than an analog stick, which controlled SMG quite well.

BTW, there's language in that link.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
and here i was thinking there was some review up. misleading title is misleading.
peterw007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 peterw007

[QUOTE="peterw007"]

ChubbyGuy40

Google FTW

Quite simple, but never even heard of that board :| He lost all credibility by saying the slide pad is terrible for 3D Mario. It's no different than an analog stick, which controlled SMG quite well.

BTW, there's language in that link.

My point still stands. A forum post with no journalism ties does not equal credibility.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

Based on the videos I believe you

nhh18

+1 the moment I saw the videos I went to gamestop and traded in my 3ds...it has done nothing but dissapoint me. Its bad when the BEST game you own is a 10+ year old port...and I loved it to death. Everything about the 3DS feels rushed like Nintendo wanted SO badly to cash in on the 3d craze a year ago and now after everything has settled down everyone is like, '3d mehhh' which is true IMO. Anyway I believe you but we will see...if this game gets bad reviews everyone on system wars is going to go nuts.