Sunset Overdrive Mixes Platforming And Shooting (Updated)

Avatar image for kuu2
#1 Edited by kuu2 (10417 posts) -

Leaks of the Edge article are coming in and it sounds like a winner.

Winning!

Microsoft and Insomniac Games unveiled the first look at the world, story and gameplay of “Sunset Overdrive” today through an action-packed video. Alongside the video, Microsoft announced the first details for the Day One Edition of the game. Traverse Sunset City in Style with Exclusive Day One Edition Outfits and Weapons With an exclusive gun, melee weapon and in-game character outfit, the “Sunset Overdrive” Day One Edition is the ultimate package for fans who want to fight through the end of days with flair. The “Sunset Overdrive” Day One Edition features the following exclusive digital content that you won’t find anywhere else:

  • “Nothin’ but the Hits” gun: An overcharged version of the High Fidelity gun that launches limited edition, priceless, multi-colored vinyls that do increased damage.
  • “It’s Me! Fizzie!” outfit: Fizzie is more popular than you because he has a great marketing budget. So, why not dress up as him and get in on some of that fame?
  • “Hardcore! Hammer”: You ponder buying the Day One Edition of “Sunset Overdrive.” A spot check reveals that if you do, you can equip a mighty hammer made from a bat and spiked dumb-bells. You buy the Day One Edition of “Sunset Overdrive.”

More Winning With Winning Video

Here’s a summary for your perusal:

  • According to Insomniac they’ve finally begun to understand what they love the most, and that reflects in the tone of the game.
  • Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting, and places equal weight on both skills
  • Insomniac has never made guns this powerful. You can take out five enemies with one shot.
  • The guns in the game play completely different from each other.
  • You’ll have to accumulate “style” before you fight some of the harder bosses. Some bosses won’t even notice you’re shooting at them if you’re at style level one or two.
  • Players are rewarded for playing fast and hard and not stopping. If you stop your style meter drops: “getting in there, mixing it up and mantaining that velocity is your aim.”
  • The island’s boss is a Fizzco balloon named Fizzle. The fight is “On rails,” but not in the way we usually think. The rails are coils wrapped around the tower you can grind on. Fizzle’s weak spots are spring-loaded drums above the city’s rooftops, and you’ll have to leap back and forth between them and the rails while avoiding fire and without ever stopping.
  • The player can ride the city’s telephone cables from above or below, changing with a tap of X to avoid low bridges or enemy fire.
  • Little Tokyo’s Japanese-inspired architecture involves lots of short wall runs and oddly angled buildings.
  • The world transforms at night, and so does the way the game plays. Sunset Overdrive promises to offer new ways to to deal with the night both alone and with friends.
  • In the last generation players have been trained to seek cover and wait combat out. Sunset Overdrive asks players “to think differently, use a different toolset and push forward.” Players are rewarded for jumping over the cover and take the initiative.
  • Attack is the new defense and wall running is the new cover.
  • Insomniac wants to create a different experience from the usual shooter that plays like Call of Duty.
  • Microsoft told Insomniac “We want Insomniac to be Insomniac” and allowed the developer to own the intellectual property, which is very important for the developer.
  • Insomniac wants to bring elements from games like Jet Set Radio and Tony Hawk to a more modern experience, adding depth, story and a campaign with a lot of unique ideas.
  • They’re trying to make a really great arcade game that is really fun to play regardless of how long you play.
  • For Insomniac the next generation is about “pop.” They want to see more “popping off the screen:” more colors, more effects, more things to see in the city.
  • Xbox One owners will be involved with the decisions that will shape the game post-release.
  • While you play you’ll see big screens broadcasting “Sunset TV,” an in-game TV channel discussing the current and future state of the game and offering players a way to vote on how it’ll change and evolve.
  • Insomniac feels that the first year or two of a new generation are when most risks are taken.
  • The developer is looking at Sunset Overdrive as the first of a series and want to build it into something bigger, “a real franchise.”
  • Everything was born from a lunch conversation a few years ago. It was never meant to be a real game at that time, but in the end they made it.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#2 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#3 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

I hope you buy it, there's nothing else on the schedule until they announce Halo 2 rehash at E3.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
#4 Posted by freedomfreak (50187 posts) -

"Everything was born from a lunch conversation a few years ago. It was never meant to be a real game at that time, but in the end they made it."

Guess they were having shrooms.

Avatar image for sts106mat
#5 Edited by sts106mat (24234 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I hope you buy it, there's nothing else on the schedule until they announce Halo 2 rehash at E3.

one thing halo 2 wont be is a rehash.

If you look at how Halo CE anniversary was handled...that is how remakes should be done.......I dont think you'll find anything to complain about

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#6 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

I doubt it was any better than REmake. Now that, THAT is how a remake should be done. RIP Resident Evil. ;_;

Avatar image for kuu2
#7 Posted by kuu2 (10417 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Your crystal ball gaming skills are amazing.

Avatar image for sts106mat
#8 Posted by sts106mat (24234 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I doubt it was any better than REmake. Now that, THAT is how a remake should be done. RIP Resident Evil. ;_;

haven;t played that one. but all new high quality audio. the option to switch at the press of a button to the old graphics and back to the new again? a complete remake

Avatar image for Sagemode87
#9 Posted by Sagemode87 (1285 posts) -

@kuu2: Doubt you would give a shit about this game if it wasn't exclusive to X1. Xbox fans don't even like games like this. Don't know what Insomniac was thinking.

Avatar image for locopatho
#10 Posted by locopatho (23176 posts) -

I haven't really enjoyed an Insomniac game since PS2 really. Can do without this one.

Avatar image for RossRichard
#11 Edited by RossRichard (3632 posts) -

I'll just stick with Contra and Metal Slug.

Avatar image for funk21312
#12 Posted by Funk21312 (242 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I hope you buy it, there's nothing else on the schedule until they announce Halo 2 rehash at E3.

Yeah, I'm sick of rehashes too. Sony are the absolute worst for it but at least they release other good games

Avatar image for IgGy621985
#13 Posted by IgGy621985 (5455 posts) -

@kuu2: Here's some gameplay from game informer: link.

Looks okay, I guess. I'm not that impressed though...

Avatar image for Heil68
#14 Edited by Heil68 (57941 posts) -

The platforming in the Ratchet games was ok, nothing great but it did offer something more to do than just shoot.

Screen shot looks great!

GI describes it as Tony Hawk meets Infamous!

:D

In game action from @IgGy621985 link looks awesome, cant wait for this game!

Avatar image for BattleSpectre
#15 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Eh, still not decided on this game. We'll see what happens.

Avatar image for kuu2
#16 Posted by kuu2 (10417 posts) -

@IgGy621985 said:

@kuu2: Here's some gameplay from game informer: link.

Looks okay, I guess. I'm not that impressed though...

Thanks I will update in the main post!

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#17 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

heres a vid. looks very good. its a good thing insomanic own the ip

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#18 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I doubt it was any better than REmake. Now that, THAT is how a remake should be done. RIP Resident Evil. ;_;

haven;t played that one. but all new high quality audio. the option to switch at the press of a button to the old graphics and back to the new again? a complete remake

WHATTTTTTTTTTTT? Bah Gawd! Get yourself an old Gamecube (or a Wii with the BC), a copy and prepare yourself for one of the best games of the sixth gen if not of all time.

Avatar image for kuu2
#19 Posted by kuu2 (10417 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

heres a vid. looks very good. its a good thing insomanic own the ip

I think that is what big time devs will do from now on. Why on earth would you ever allow someone to keep your IP.

Officially pumped for this game after watching the footage.

It passes the test for me when the first words out of someone's mouth are 'it's fun'.

Avatar image for sts106mat
#20 Posted by sts106mat (24234 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I doubt it was any better than REmake. Now that, THAT is how a remake should be done. RIP Resident Evil. ;_;

haven;t played that one. but all new high quality audio. the option to switch at the press of a button to the old graphics and back to the new again? a complete remake

WHATTTTTTTTTTTT? Bah Gawd! Get yourself an old Gamecube (or a Wii with the BC), a copy and prepare yourself for one of the best games of the sixth gen if not of all time.

I loved resident evil 4, but swore off capcom games for all of last gen after the Resi 5 joke of trying to charge for co-op mode and on-disc dlc. I can't see me bothering to be honest.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#22 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

heres a vid. looks very good. its a good thing insomanic own the ip

I think that is what big time devs will do from now on. Why on earth would you ever allow someone to keep your IP.

Officially pumped for this game after watching the footage.

It passes the test for me when the first words out of someone's mouth are 'it's fun'.

looks like infamous with guns which isnt a bad combo. the problem with this type of games is after the novelty wears off they are usually dry on content

Avatar image for killzowned24
#24 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

More static foliage for the xbone I see.

Avatar image for shawn30
#25 Posted by shawn30 (4409 posts) -

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/05/08/see-sunset-overdrive-39-s-frenzied-gameplay-in-action.aspx?utm_content=buffer95e9f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

More footage, sorry if repost. Game looks amazing, great detail and art. This has gone from interest to a must buy for me. City looks alive with color, and you can hold 8 weapons at once. I think MS has a big winner here.

Avatar image for blackace
#26 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Keep hoping, praying and dreaming troll. Don't be jelly.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

heres a vid. looks very good. its a good thing insomanic own the ip

Game looks great. Nice and colorful with over the top action. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

Avatar image for kuu2
#27 Posted by kuu2 (10417 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

The platforming in the Ratchet games was ok, nothing great but it did offer something more to do than just shoot.

Screen shot looks great!

GI describes it as Tony Hawk meets Infamous!

:D

In game action from @IgGy621985 link looks awesome, cant wait for this game!

Mmmmmmmmm, tasty.

Can't wait to see the nighttime gameplay.

e3 on its way.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#28 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I doubt it was any better than REmake. Now that, THAT is how a remake should be done. RIP Resident Evil. ;_;

haven;t played that one. but all new high quality audio. the option to switch at the press of a button to the old graphics and back to the new again? a complete remake

WHATTTTTTTTTTTT? Bah Gawd! Get yourself an old Gamecube (or a Wii with the BC), a copy and prepare yourself for one of the best games of the sixth gen if not of all time.

I loved resident evil 4, but swore off capcom games for all of last gen after the Resi 5 joke of trying to charge for co-op mode and on-disc dlc. I can't see me bothering to be honest.

Nothing like RE5 at all. It's one of the last great Resident Evils, and it still looks great 12 years on.

Avatar image for lglz1337
#29 Edited by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

LMAO lemmings hyping a insomniac game haha the irony!

suddenly they are the best devs in this industry

Avatar image for blackace
#30 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

LMAO lemmings hyping a insomniac game haha the irony!

Someone's jelly.

http://www.ensenandoacomeramihijo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/crying_cow-150x150.jpg

Avatar image for sts106mat
#31 Posted by sts106mat (24234 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@sts106mat said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

I doubt it was any better than REmake. Now that, THAT is how a remake should be done. RIP Resident Evil. ;_;

haven;t played that one. but all new high quality audio. the option to switch at the press of a button to the old graphics and back to the new again? a complete remake

WHATTTTTTTTTTTT? Bah Gawd! Get yourself an old Gamecube (or a Wii with the BC), a copy and prepare yourself for one of the best games of the sixth gen if not of all time.

I loved resident evil 4, but swore off capcom games for all of last gen after the Resi 5 joke of trying to charge for co-op mode and on-disc dlc. I can't see me bothering to be honest.

Nothing like RE5 at all. It's one of the last great Resident Evils, and it still looks great 12 years on.

I looked at it online. I didn't expect it to be like Resi5. anyway, if Halo 2 anniversary is real, it wont be a rehash, because CE certainly wasn't. I'll get it though cause Halo 2 is the only one i haven't played (other than a little bit of the MP).

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#32 Edited by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Keep hoping, praying and dreaming troll. Don't be jelly.

Your jimmies, they be showing. :)

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#33 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11361 posts) -

Game looks and sounds terrible. The only Bone exclusive that sounds remotely interesting is Quantum Break.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#34 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Keep hoping, praying and dreaming troll. Don't be jelly.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

heres a vid. looks very good. its a good thing insomanic own the ip

Game looks great. Nice and colorful with over the top action. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

if insomanic proposed this game to sony i can see why it would have been rejected, sony already offer infamous and this just looks a lot like that. no point offering 2 games of very similar gameplay within a few months of each other. this is why either the order or uncharted is getting delayed into 2015

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#35 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11361 posts) -

@blackace said:

@lglz1337 said:

LMAO lemmings hyping a insomniac game haha the irony!

Someone's jelly.

After Fuse, the last 2 R&C games and Resistance 3 I don't see anything to be jelly of. Insomniac has sucked for years.

Avatar image for GamingGod999
#36 Edited by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -

Lemmings are now complimenting Insomniac? Oh my.

:P

Avatar image for shawn30
#38 Edited by shawn30 (4409 posts) -
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Game looks and sounds terrible. The only Bone exclusive that sounds remotely interesting is Quantum Break.

Cows Gonna Cow

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
#39 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (3948 posts) -

Avatar image for misterpmedia
#40 Edited by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

Looks decent actually, looks like a lem's Infamous game except not as next gen looking. Third person stuff is my jam. Will definitely buy this used on the cheap when ever I get an Xbone in the distance future.

Avatar image for blackace
#41 Edited by blackace (23576 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@blackace said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Keep hoping, praying and dreaming troll. Don't be jelly.

Your jimmies, they be showing. :)

You're tears are drowning us all.

Avatar image for lglz1337
#42 Posted by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

@blackace: bahaha you think ?

LMAO

Avatar image for jsmoke03
#43 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife said:

looks sweet. seems like this is going to be my next xb1 game.

Avatar image for kuu2
#44 Edited by kuu2 (10417 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

Looks decent actually, looks like a lem's Infamous game except not as next gen looking. Third person stuff is my jam. Will definitely buy this used on the cheap when ever I get an Xbone in the distance future.

You know the game is awesome when folks like this are praising it................. Even if there is a little Cow showing through.

Avatar image for Bigboi500
#45 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

@blackace said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Your jimmies, they be showing. :)

You're tears are drowning us all.

Your butthurt is raising the cost of ObamaCare.

Avatar image for lglz1337
#46 Edited by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

@FreedomFreeLife: what is this ? wanabee infamous ? hahaha

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#47 Edited by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

See those gifs get me excited.

So essentially it's a crackdownish clone?

Avatar image for Animal-Mother
#48 Posted by Animal-Mother (27353 posts) -

@shawn30 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Game looks and sounds terrible. The only Bone exclusive that sounds remotely interesting is Quantum Break.

Cows Gonna Cow

Completely wrong use of that meme.

Avatar image for blackace
#49 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@blackace said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Keep hoping, praying and dreaming troll. Don't be jelly.

@ghostwarrior786 said:

heres a vid. looks very good. its a good thing insomanic own the ip

Game looks great. Nice and colorful with over the top action. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

if insomanic proposed this game to sony i can see why it would have been rejected, sony already offer infamous and this just looks a lot like that. no point offering 2 games of very similar gameplay within a few months of each other. this is why either the order or uncharted is getting delayed into 2015

I liked Infamous SS, so I'll probably like this game as well. I wouldn't reject this game if it was on PS4. I'd still get it if it was good like Infamous SS. This won't be out until the Fall 2014. I'll be finished with Infamous SS by then. Uncharted 4 was started late and The Order 1886 still had things to be fixed on it. The delays aren't huge deal breakers though since there are other things to play on XBox 360 and PS3.

Avatar image for shawn30
#50 Edited by shawn30 (4409 posts) -