WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#52 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

I actually thought a lot of what they showed looked and sounded interesting. Elden Ring looked better than I expected. A new Gungrave, Payday 3, Evil Dead, Tales of Arise, Blood Hunt, and a couple others all caught my attention... that's a lot more than I was initially guessing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@madrocketeer said:
@Zero_epyon said:

What's the big deal about Elden Ring? Not knocking it, just want to understand the hype and why it's been sought after so much.

It's a new title from a highly acclaimed developer. Yeah, it's a developer who just do one thing, and yeah, I personally don't really agree with that; I've always said I believe a true test of a developer's ability is when they do something completely different. However, that one thing is something FromSoftware does really well, and I can respect that. Whatever floats their boat, and I'm not here to sink it.

As for specifics, their formula is pretty established at this point: grim dying world, high difficulty combat based on resource management, interconnected world design where if you see something in the distance you'll eventually get to go there, and inscrutable plot that you piece together over time. It's not for everyone, but it's for enough people to sell by the millions with every instalment, so it's definitely significant.

Dunno if I'll buy it myself. Tried Dark Souls II and wasn't really grabbed, but I did enjoy Remnant: From the Ashes and Jedi Fallen Order, so I'm not ready to shut the door on the genre just yet. As always, I'm open minded.

I'll also add 2 more about why it's not called Dark Souls 4.

1. Is that Miyazaki said the series is over (in his mid) after Dark Souls 3, he took his vision to completion.
  2. George R.R. Martin is involved, so if his lore writing is different from the lore style in the Soulsborne series, it is better to differentiate to reduce people's expectations of how the lore will be explored.

After all, if the lore doesn't fit the Souls series, it can't be Souls. Even if it technically is but that's besides the point and the reason why Elden Ring is a big deal. I'll definitely get it on day one but I wouldn't say I'm super hype either.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@AcidTango said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@pc_rocks said:

Meh, Elden Ring looked more of the same. I'm tired of Souls like formula. Would rather they have evolved Sekiro.

Exactly. thats what I have to say. thier fans be like "OMG greatest thing ever" it looks exact same as Demon souls in 2009. same undead guy with sword and RPG elements in dark fantasy world.

if they donot reveal the name i would have though its dark soul 4.

I'm still excited for the game but I have to admit it looks like Dark Souls. I was hoping it would look a little bit different. Also the graphics looks dated. The Demon's Souls remake looks better. But we should wait and see what the actual full game will be like. I wonder how involved George RR Martin is with the game.

He helped with the lore and world building. That's it.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Not as generic as modern FPS games.