Subscription plan, PS2, PS1 games coming to PS Now.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/11/13/playstation-now-subscription-plan-news-coming-soon-ps1ps2-and-more-first-party-games-planned/

First of all, news about a subscription plans are coming soon:

Yes, A subscription plan is being worked on, and I’m very excited about it. We see it adding a complimentary option to rentals as a way to enjoy immediate access to PlayStation 3 games via PlayStation Now. More details coming in the near future!

Jamshidi also game some info on the plans to make more first party games by Sony available in the service:

Recently we published God of War: Ascension, Twisted Metal, and Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus.

Yes, we will definitely have more first party titles coming soon to the service and realize a lot of people may have missed out on the types of amazing experiences you mention that are only available on PlayStation.

Per my earlier comment, making our first party PS3 games available is definitely a strong part of the vision of PlayStation Now. We want to make these amazing PlayStation 3 games accessible to more people than ever and on more devices than ever, including on the PS4.

So yes, we definitely have more first party titles lined up for release in the near future. Hold tight!

PS If you haven’t already, check out some of the first party titles already available for PS Now including Infamous 2, Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, God of War: Ascension, and Twisted Metal.

Finally, we hear that there are plans for PS1 and PS2 games as well, but those will come on the longer term.

We are focusing on the amazing PS3 library at the moment, but do have plans to go back even further in time and offer PS2 and PS1 games longer term."

Good thing cows hate subscription services.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

They need to get more ps1 and ps2 games on Vita. Playing legend of dragoon on Vita = badass

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I have over 50 PS1 and 40 PS2 games on disc still. I have the games I want to play from those generations.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Just transfer it from your PS3. That's where my LoD currently is until I make space.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Will have to see what the pricing is like. Probably won't be getting this though

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Awesome. Really excited to hear this news. I've been wanting Sony to add PS1 and PS2 games like the ps3 store. Hopefully they will soon add the ability to buy rather than rent. This and the addition of playstation vue makes the ps4 better by the day

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I hate this. Instead of just building in backwards compatibility into their consoles and simply charging $50 more they are going to nickle and dime you for the entire life of your new console. This way instead of the extra $50 you would have payed for BC it's now hundreds over the life of your console. Seems like Sony is going all in with these fees and subscription nonsense. **** building a better machine let's just transfer the cost of backwards compatibility completely over to the customer. And you guys want this? so psn subscription, ps now subscription, anything else they plan on nickle and diming us on? Also what are all of the extra fees they can milk out of you over at xbone land? Sometimes I feel the gaming industry would be better for everyone if we all just abandoned consoles and went to PC. Especially for the consumers. Sony and MS do not have your best interest in mind. They are always trying to come up with better ways to take your money. This would be like charging me to play just cause 2 because I built a new rig. Sense make no.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Screw renting and screw streaming. I want to be able to buy and download PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on my PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

This no psx/ps2 games stuff is nonsense. Honestly if someone wanted me to recommend them a games consoles I'd tell them ps3 is better than ps4. PS4 is suckin it big time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

PS1 and PS2 compatibility is what I had wanted from PS Now all along. I may give this service another chance now, as long as the prices aren't as batshit ridiculous as they are currently.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

I hate this. Instead of just building in backwards compatibility into their consoles and simply charging $50 more they are going to nickle and dime you for the entire life of your new console. This way instead of the extra $50 you would have payed for BC it's now hundreds over the life of your console. Seems like Sony is going all in with these fees and subscription nonsense. **** building a better machine let's just transfer the cost of backwards compatibility completely over to the customer. And you guys want this? so psn subscription, ps now subscription, anything else they plan on nickle and diming us on? Also what are all of the extra fees they can milk out of you over at xbone land? Sometimes I feel the gaming industry would be better for everyone if we all just abandoned consoles and went to PC. Especially for the consumers. Sony and MS do not have your best interest in mind. They are always trying to come up with better ways to take your money. This would be like charging me to play just cause 2 because I built a new rig. Sense make no.

its business 101 brah..

purple0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 purple0
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Still hope that they implement at least ps1 disc compatibility. No reason why they couldn't do it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@purple0 said:

Still hope that they implement at least ps1 disc compatibility. No reason why they couldn't do it

Two completely different architectures...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I would find it hard to go back and play those old games now.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@purple0 said:

Software emulator. If my PC can do it, so can the PS4 with it's incredible supercomputer SOC and GDDR5!

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

To be honest, there really nothing on the PS1 and PS2 i care to play again.

I bought San Andreas for $5 2 years ago on PS3 and only played it for 15 mins (didnt even get pas the tutorials). Great game back in the day, but just couldnt care to replay it when i bought it for $5.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@mikhail said:

@charizard1605 said:

@purple0 said:

Software emulator. If my PC can do it, so can the PS4 with it's incredible supercomputer SOC and GDDR5!

Technically, yes. But in that case, I am assuming that given the cost it would necessitate to develop an emulator, it might just be more cost effective to go the PS Now route (and also get some hefty returns while you are at it).

That said, it would be nice if all the PSOne and PS2 games we already own on PSN somehow carried over to PS Now, but I doubt it.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Streaming is the worst kind of gaming IMO.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Anyone find this announcements timing with the PS Vue unveiling interesting? Perhaps there will be different tiers of PSN+ soon.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Telekill said:

I have over 50 PS1 and 40 PS2 games on disc still. I have the games I want to play from those generations.

why don't just use an emulator and play the games at higher resolution and stuff? Even through streaming you can bet they will not enhance the games and they will look really bad on HDTV's. PCSX2 requirements are not even that high anymore and the emu can now make every single game true 16:9. This is something that greatly enhances the viewing of the game on an HDTV and not to mention the option to set up a custom internal resolutions. The same for ePSXe, although this one doesn't offer the advantage of making every game true 16:9. With Scarlet Crush drivers if your system has bluetooth you can even use DS3 wireless-y with no lag. Some bugs will always happen with PCSX2 though if you tweak it too much but making every game wide-screen and running at native resolution will not break most games.

------------------

I wouldn't expect a cheap subscription out of PS Now like the $8 a month of Netflix. The tech for streaming games is more demanding than the one used to stream a movie. You can bet the subscriptions will be expensive enough to make this service fail.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

Don't buy a subscription and keep your old consoles?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I'll never bite. Gonna keep my godly backwards compatible PS3. I like my Sony consoles as much as the next guy, but this is really a dick move on their part. Smart move, but a dick move all the same.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

10-15 dollars a month sony or epic fail

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@purple0 said:

Architecture has nothing to do with it, at least as far as PS1 games. It's a joke to emulate PS1 games. Even PS2 games the PS4 could probably do no problem.

Obviously architecture has alot to do with PS3 games not being natively backwards compatible, that's a different task entirely.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

My old laptop can emulate ps1/2 games. It shouldn't be a issue for the most powerful console in the history of mankind to do it. This is just another cash grab by Sony.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

That's where I'm at with this stuff too.

Just a few short years ago it seemed every console gamer was against this type of thing. All digital, online requirements, subscriptions, etc...

Now consoles are leading the charge all under the guise of Sony's "for gamers" image they gave off by making a mockery of Microsoft's approach to online requirements. Soon enough you'll buy a Playstation 5 and spend $50 a year for online gaming, $100 a year to stream new titles + additional fees for older games, and another $10-$15 a month for media services.

Meanwhile PC is just sitting idly by without any online requirements, or $50+ yearly subscriptions to play games. And then services like GOG take it a step further by removing any sort of DRM entirely.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Wow that's great! Any news on Vita? No? **** you Sony.

Also, pay again to play games you already own through streaming, AKA considerably worse way to play a game in current technology? It's not good. And people who buy into this shit need their heads checked because they must be full of shits poured by these big corporations that don't give a shit about them as a human being anymore.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@VanDammFan said:

@NFJSupreme said:

its business 101 brah..

So are the most bullshit practices a lot of these companies do.