Stunning new Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer revealed

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (34969 posts) -

Another game people will madly hype, only for reality to set in.

Stunning new Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer revealed

Cloud doing exercises confirmed.

News by Tom Phillips, News Editor Updated on 11 September 2019

A brand new Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer has landed ahead of Tokyo Games Show, and it's full of surprises.

Following on from the more action-focused E3 gameplay earlier this year, the trailer recreates some more eccentric aspects of the original game. In particular, we get to see the slums and Wall Market area, the darker, seedier under-belly of the game's central city, Midgar. Here we see some bizarre mini-games recreated, and later, the introduction of a mysterious new character.

New clips of its battle system are revealed. We get a debut for fan-favourite battle summons, like the diamond-dusted Shiva, a glimpse of what could be a chariot-riding Odin and the fiery Ifrit. Old faces make a glossy return in the remake as well, with fan favourites Reno and Rude swaggering into a ruined church.

All of it looks stunning - right down to the designs of Cloud, Tifa and Aerith, all shown banded together. Visually, the church area looks comparable - or arguably superior - to its appearance in the 2005 movie tie-in, Advent Children, which is an incredible feat.

A new character is also briefly shown. Described simply as "a soldier," this blonde-haired newcomer is seen riding a motorbike during a chase scene, wielding a longsword. His exact connection with the main cast is not yet known. Potentially he's another member of SOLDIER - the military force Cloud once belonged to, though it'll be curious to see if he ties into the game's wider plot arc.

Whether this is a sign Square Enix intends to radically change other parts of the story is unclear. Until this point, much of what we've seen of the game has broadly stuck to the beats of the original. Indeed, stylish tweaks are made all round to the existing script, to spectacular effect - including President Shinra's first appearance being as a giant, looming hologram.

A few mini-games are also revealed too. Here, the entire cast is shown squatting and lunging at a gym, to a beat with button prompts. This links back to the 1997 original, which had Cloud doing exercises as part of a challenge to progress through the game. Other quirky asides include what appears to be a darts mini-game, with Cloud lining up a shot at a board. We even see him turn into a frog (note the tiny buster sword on his back) - as a result of a status-effect spell in battle. It's all utterly barmy seeing it realised at such a high level of detail. Even so, it's great to see Square Enix embracing the often bizarre asides of the original.

Another key part of introducing the slums is revealing Don Corneo - a pimp that presides over it. It's the first time seeing this enemy, and Cloud, Tifa and Aerith's goal here marks one of the more memorable episodes in the original game. It'll be fascinating to see how this segment turns out when Final Fantasy 7 Remake releases next March.

#2 Posted by pyro1245 (5246 posts) -

I'm most hyped for the Remake's OST.

Nobuo Uematsu is making a return.

#3 Posted by texasgoldrush (12935 posts) -

Wow

Commercial product, nothing more. It goes to show that FFVII's influence has hurt, not helped, SquareEnix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7ce72a5fd01
#4 Posted by deactivated-5d7ce72a5fd01 (25 posts) -

This will certainly be gold. But I'll obviously wait for the eventual Superior PC version because I don't want to be hindered by garbage console hardware.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (34969 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

Wow

Commercial product, nothing more. It goes to show that FFVII's influence has hurt, not helped, SquareEnix.

People buying this in droves when they could be playing The Legend Of Heroes.

#7 Posted by Archangel3371 (28534 posts) -

Dayum. This game is looking so absolutely freaking amazing it’s ridiculous. I’m super hyped for this and can’t wait to play it.

#8 Posted by adsparky (1450 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Wow

I've "sold" several franchises to a lot of people around me, but sadly nobody ends up buying the legend of heroes games, I dunno why but it is like something confabulates against it.

#9 Edited by texasgoldrush (12935 posts) -

Its funny, Cyberpunk 2077 will crush this remake in sales.

FFVII stunted the evolution of JRPGs, plain and simple.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#10 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5020 posts) -

That looks great. I like all the FF7 callbacks in it. Next year, I'm gonna be overloaded on games, this year was super slow in comparison.

#11 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2514 posts) -

@texasgoldrush said:

I doubt it. FFXV had like 5 million preordered and had that many units sold day 1. And it was kind of a turd. This FFVII remake is going to sell like hotcakes, whether it's good or bad, off of hype and nostalgia alone

#12 Edited by KungfuKitten (26796 posts) -
@adsparky said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Wow

I've "sold" several franchises to a lot of people around me, but sadly nobody ends up buying the legend of heroes games, I dunno why but it is like something confabulates against it.

Oh! Those games! The trails of something something. I have one of those! Still haven't played it though.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (34969 posts) -

#14 Posted by texasgoldrush (12935 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

I doubt it. FFXV had like 5 million preordered and had that many units sold day 1. And it was kind of a turd. This FFVII remake is going to sell like hotcakes, whether it's good or bad, off of hype and nostalgia alone

But Cyberpunk has Rockstar games level of hype. TW3 outsold FFVII's lifetime sales maybe twice over.

#15 Posted by Valgaav_219 (2514 posts) -

@texasgoldrush: twice over my a** FFVII sold over 11 million copies. I think the entire Witcher series is just north of 25 million. I call bs unless TW3 sold over 22 million singlehandedly

#16 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5188 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I'm super hyped for this game!! The reality here is that it will be Square Enix's best game ever and expect no less!

#17 Posted by nepu7supastar7 (5188 posts) -

@texasgoldrush: I suspect that Cyberpunk 2077 will do moderately well in sales but FF7 will definitely sell more. Personally, I'm interested in both but FF7 Remake has the edge thanks to the big history it has in the jrpg world. It was also my first jrpg so there's a lot of sentimental value in it too.

#18 Edited by lundy86_4 (53822 posts) -

That's actually more impressive as time goes on. Clearly, a lot of content has been added.

#19 Posted by Fedor (5339 posts) -

Looking fantastic, going to be a ton of new content it seems. Easy day 1.

#20 Edited by R-Gamer (622 posts) -

Looks amazing to me. They seem to be doing a perfect job.

#21 Posted by djoffer (1451 posts) -

Looks great, if they can combine the great engine m/gameplay from FF15 without the ridiculous boring story and all the long boring car rides I am all in!

#22 Posted by pelvist (7445 posts) -

Perhaps if they didn't faff around putting in useless shit like QTE exercise games they wouldn't have to release the game in episodes.

#23 Posted by Pedro (35616 posts) -

Great visuals but the story and gameplay is not moving me.

#24 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1321 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

One of the best JRPG series I delved into. Such a shame Nihon Falcom doesn't get much praise from their games, especially the Kiseki Series.

#25 Edited by uninspiredcup (34969 posts) -

@jasonofa36 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

One of the best JRPG series I delved into. Such a shame Nihon Falcom doesn't get much praise from their games, especially the Kiseki Series.

Aye. Same with YS.

Oath in Felghana and YS: Origin sit as the best action-rpgs I've played.

#26 Posted by texasgoldrush (12935 posts) -

@valgaav_219 said:

@texasgoldrush: twice over my a** FFVII sold over 11 million copies. I think the entire Witcher series is just north of 25 million. I call bs unless TW3 sold over 22 million singlehandedly

OUTDATED

TW3 sold 20 million and the series 40 million.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-06-13-the-witcher-3-has-passed-20m-lifetime-sale#targetText=The%20Witcher%203%3A%20Wild%20Hunt,first%20game%20launched%20in%202007.

It also still has room to sell as the Switch version is coming.

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@texasgoldrush: I suspect that Cyberpunk 2077 will do moderately well in sales but FF7 will definitely sell more. Personally, I'm interested in both but FF7 Remake has the edge thanks to the big history it has in the jrpg world. It was also my first jrpg so there's a lot of sentimental value in it too.

Cyberpunk is hyped at GTA/Rockstar game levels right now, and right now is the most hyped game. It will sell 10 million copies very quickly. It will do more than just moderately well, it will be one of the best selling RPGs of all time. It will probably even outsell TW3.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#27 Posted by ___gamemaster__ (2682 posts) -

i found witcher3 and ff7 abit overrated, but i would probably enjoy ff7 more.

#28 Posted by VFighter (5237 posts) -

FF7 remake is looking amazing, I wasn't down with it coming out in installments but that was quickly squashed when they reported this first installment took up two blu rays, I'm guessing its going to pack a lot of content. Day 1 for me!

#29 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10430 posts) -

It's not the game I wanted, but I will check it out anyway. I'm not hyped at all though. I hated KH3 and it looks like a KH3 with FF7 skin.

#30 Posted by sakaiXx (6057 posts) -

@crabj: or ps5