Story-telling of games like BioShock, Half-Life, Dead Space is still underrated

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

And of course System Shock 1 that begat them all (yes, even Half-Life)...

But anyway, I don't think the games I mentioned in the thread title and others that also use similar approach to telling a story, that is without interrupting the gameplay with cut-scenes and breaking the perspective away from the default point-of-view are rated enough. There's still too much acquiescence and sentimentalism for traditional cut scenes-heavy-style...

And to think that abominations with backwards 1990s design like Resident Evil 5 with simply ATROCIOUS and ABYSMAL presentation still exist and are taken seriously and people still omit this element in comparison to, say, Dead Space is simply a disgrace.

Resident Evil 5: a cut-scene pops up, then it ends, then a loading screen with some background info appears (that doesn't amount to anything), then yet another cut-scene begins! What were they thinking?

Of course this convention has also its disadvantages, limitations and its full potential is yet to be unleashed in certain aspects but let's be frank: most of stories in video games still suck, and overliance on cutscenes make them look even worse, but System Shock-ish convention of telling story can even make an average story feel like it's cleverly done.

I just feel that not enough respect is being given by the gaming community to this kind of storytelling that is simultaneously post-modern and better suited to the video-gaming medium.

What say you, System Warriors?

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i still dont think games are the best way to tell a story

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

I think there are pros and cons to any story telling platform. I believe interactive experiences will be the future though. Certianly story telling in video games doesn't get the respect it deserves, this is always the case with new technology though. In time when this generation ages, video games will be looked at differently.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Story telling is an example of everything wrong with modern gaming.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

I agree with Half Life, and to some extent Bioshock, but Dead Space? You lost me there.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Salt_The_Fries

I agree with Half Life, and to some extent Bioshock, but Dead Space? You lost me there.

SW__Troll
Not the story itself but how the story was told.
SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

[QUOTE="SW__Troll"]

Salt_The_Fries

Not the story itself but how the story was told.

I know, I'm lost because you stuck Dead Space next to titles like Half Life when talking about story-telling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

dontshackzmii

Just because they aren't the best doesn't mean they can't still tell a story very well. Plus, being an interactive medium, games have a capability of immersion other mediums are incapable of.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#9 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

TheFallenDemon
nope nope nope
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

TheFallenDemon

THIS!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
all games you mentioned in the title are extremely overrated
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#12 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

ferret-gamer

Just because they aren't the best doesn't mean they can't still tell a story very well. Plus, being an interactive medium, games have a capability of immersion other mediums are incapable of.

what Ferret-gamer here said. games like Bioshock, Half-Life, and even Dead Space. the way those games TELL the story to the player is probably the best way to tell a story to the gamer. Where it's all or mostly ingame with the other NPC's talking to the main character.

then you have RPG's like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Deus Ex that can tell a story through a more open world format.

The thing about games and why some gamers poo poo story telling and some don't is pretty simple. because all one has to do is look at the spectrum of which games can occupy and still entertain the masses.

from Angry Birds all the way to the most obtuse realistic RTS series

from simple story of Mario to a much more complex story like say a Metal Gear Solid.

This is the strength of the medium, not a weakness. the weakest form of story telling i think is if you pretty much disperse your story telling in only non-involving cut scenes, like say Uncharted. which while i love it, it's still not the best way to tell a story.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

Aljosa23

THIS!

for the most part, this is rather true

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

all games you mentioned in the title are extremely overratedmems_1224
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I agree with Half Life, and to some extent Bioshock, but Dead Space? You lost me there.SW__Troll
Indeed. Dead Space is nothing like the other two... and has a horrible story to boot.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I think Bioshock did it great but Dead Space not so much. First we have the "datapads". In Bioshock they were well written, clever and interesting. In dead space the overall quality is much lower imo. Some of the texts make no sense for anyone to record. And they are often uninspired. Secondly the use of "real time cut-scenes" (aka u are still in control but NPC are talking to you and doing stuff). Problem is that they have to use an artificial way to stop you from interacting with the other characters. In Bioshock I thought the did this organically and clever. In dead space there's always a convenient glass pane blocking you.I really don't mind a cut-scene every now and then either. I think games like Mass effect and the witcher have brilliant story telling.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i like valve's storytelling and bioshock has its moments, but those sorts of games also really throw the story right in the player's face. they are effective and they are good, and they also get acclaim from major media outlets and numerous gamers for their storytelling.

i think what gets recognized the least are the types of games where the player probably wont encounter much of the story unless they search or interpret such as dark souls, demon's souls, limbo, and metroid prime. the souls games in particular often get stuck with the label of "no story."

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

Pikminmaniac

THIS!

for the most part, this is rather true

How the hell so? As in the stories are shallow, poorly executed, or do you think games should just be purely gameplay?

Some games should have no story, and should just have gameplay (rage woulda been better for it)

Some games should have a strong story, but no game should ever ignore gameplay (I'll never understand why 'rpg' means "bad gameplay is 'good' or 'acceptable")

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#19 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I think Bioshock did it great but Dead Space not so much. First we have the "datapads". In Bioshock they were well written, clever and interesting. In dead space the overall quality is much lower imo. Some of the texts make no sense for anyone to record. And they are often uninspired. Secondly the use of "real time cut-scenes" (aka u are still in control but NPC are talking to you and doing stuff). Problem is that they have to use an artificial way to stop you from interacting with the other characters. In Bioshock I thought the did this organically and clever. In dead space there's always a convenient glass pane blocking you.I really don't mind a cut-scene every now and then either. I think games like Mass effect and the witcher have brilliant story telling. Sushiglutton

I think a large part of the reason why i didn't mind the data pads not making sense was simply because of how crazy ***** went down on the USG Ishimura. It n not making a whole lot of sense or seamlessly weaving into each other worked for me.

I dunno that's part of the reason i didn't mind Dead Space's story telling method so much. granted i'm always going to give the edge to Bioshock as it's story is more focused and is put with it's gameplay mechanics well. When i think of a game where i'd like to tell a story in a certain world and it's an action-adventure game. the one thing i'd want to do is to relay story elements and character dialog through means of which the player is almost always in full control. Maybe limiting that control in order to relay very important specific information.

On a related topic i had a friend who ALWAYS skips cut scenes, even if it's the first time playing he will skip it right away. not coincidentally he often times gets confused if the game does not bark at him what he is supposed to be doing. While i understand what it means to play a game, if it's gotta story you probably should be listening to that bit, at least the first time.

This is the equivalent of going to see an action movie skipping all the dialog scenes just to watch the fight scenes then leaving the theater to say "yeah the fight scenes were great but none of it made any sense why did X hit Y?".

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
How the hell so?Inconsistancy
Games are not movies, so they should tell their story through the gameplay rather than movie-style cutscenes. A great example of story-telling through gameplay is Shadow of the Colossus. One feels the struggle that Wander is going through, because the gameplay reflects both his perseverance and physical limitations.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I think Metroid Prime is perhaps the highest form of video game story telling. The entire story is told through the landscape. No speaking and no cutscenes. Just you and the game. You can either just play through it or stop, look around, and scan the environment to discover what is going on. YOU are the one who has to piece together the story, it isn't shoved in front of you. The story is optional, but it's there for you to discover

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I can't say about Dead Space, but Half Life 2 has a very interesting way to present its story... Bioshock would be something between it and Mass Effect.
Each one serves a different purpose and I like all three.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Salt_The_Fries

I think Metroid Prime is perhaps the highest form of video game story telling. The entire story is told through the landscape. No speaking and no cutscenes. Just you and the game. You can either just play through it or stop, look around, and scan the environment to discover what is going on. YOU are the one who has to piece together the story, it isn't shoved in front of you. The story is optional, but it's there for you to discover

Pikminmaniac

Agreed, I also liked Metroid Prime in this respect!

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]How the hell so?foxhound_fox
Games are not movies, so they should tell their story through the gameplay rather than movie-style cutscenes. A great example of story-telling through gameplay is Shadow of the Colossus. One feels the struggle that Wander is going through, because the gameplay reflects both his perseverance and physical limitations.

Not all games are the same, and they shouldn't focus on one pretentious way of telling a story.

Traditional story telling is perfectly valid in many games.

---

"One feels the struggle that..."

You really come off as one smug piece of sh*t.

SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

And of course System Shock 1 that begat them all (yes, even Half-Life)...

But anyway, I don't think the games I mentioned in the thread title and others that also use similar approach to telling a story, that is without interrupting the gameplay with cut-scenes and breaking the perspective away from the default point-of-view are rated enough. There's still too much acquiescence and sentimentalism for traditional cut scenes-heavy-style...

And to think that abominations with backwards 1990s design like Resident Evil 5 with simply ATROCIOUS and ABYSMAL presentation still exist and are taken seriously and people still omit this element in comparison to, say, Dead Space is simply a disgrace.

Resident Evil 5: a cut-scene pops up, then it ends, then a loading screen with some background info appears (that doesn't amount to anything), then yet another cut-scene begins! What were they thinking?

Of course this convention has also its disadvantages, limitations and its full potential is yet to be unleashed in certain aspects but let's be frank: most of stories in video games still suck, and overliance on cutscenes make them look even worse, but System Shock-ish convention of telling story can even make an average story feel like it's cleverly done.

I just feel that not enough respect is being given by the gaming community to this kind of storytelling that is simultaneously post-modern and better suited to the video-gaming medium.

What say you, System Warriors?Salt_The_Fries

What is the "respect" you are talking about, OP, and how do you want us to pay it to the games you mentioned?

Also, speaking of respect - the real one- , to me it looks like you would be the first who would need a lesson about speaking about game respectfully. In your post, you've successfully managed to berate both the games that use cutscenes ("abominations with backwards 1990s design like Resident Evil 5 with simply ATROCIOUS and ABYSMAL presentation") and games in general ("most of stories in video games still suck").

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Yeah, games have a great potential for storytelling, and while they may have not reached the higher tier yet they sure have advanced a long way.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wewantdoom4now
Member since 2012 • 1792 Posts

half life was the beggining of the end for fps games.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

half life was the beggining of the end for boring fps games.

wewantdoom4now
fixed
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Yes, I also love it when the gameplay comes to a complete halt and I'm locked in a room for a couple of minutes while Exposition-bot delivers exposition. So immersive!

These crappy we-swear-they're-not-cutscenes keep me away from replaying HL2.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#31 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I think Cryostasis is a perfect example of getting this right. Even in the cutscenes, you can still move around and see the action unfold from multiple angles. Some level of interactivity is always maintained, and at some points the difference between what's a cutscene and what's gameplay is blurred, making things all the more interesting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but cutscenes are basically concessions of the developer who is incapable of telling the story in a more elegant fashion. This is why I think 'cinematic' games are a curse rather than a blessing. I'd also consider QTEs cheap workarounds rather than viable solutions to this problem.

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

TheFallenDemon

This. So tired of games full of cutscenes and more cutscenes. I spend almost 50% of the game (in some games) watching freaking cutscenes!

Sure, games can and SHOULD tell a story, but not by harming the gameplay with dozens of cutscenes

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Salt_The_Fries

Yes, I also love it when the gameplay comes to a complete halt and I'm locked in a room for a couple of minutes while Exposition-bot delivers exposition. So immersive!

These crappy we-swear-they're-not-cutscenes keep me away from replaying HL2.

Baranga
This is something I had in mind while talking about limitations of this convention. Good point!
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

From the games that I've played, Morrowind and Portal 2 have the best use of story telling via their gameplay. I was really engulfed in Portal 2's story because it never once left the game to go into a cut-scene or something, you (Chell) were there in the heat of the moment listening to all the conversations happening around you and while you never spoke you were (imo) immersed into the world. I really felt alone and felt happy with Wheatly as he was my only friend, I really felt dread and fear going through the destroyed underground appeture science facility, I felt sadness yet understanding at the end where the thing happened to Wheatly with the GLaDOS and da bombs and da moon and da jello pudding.

Morrowind has crap loads of text which can in some cases break the immersion of the story, yet it doesn't. While walking around in the world you come across so many amazing sights that all have a story to tell but they never have an NPC explaining what happened...they're constructed in a way that tells the player without any dialouge what happened and where to go and who had done it and such. Morrowind may not have that good of a story (I wouldn't know) but just the way the world is alive and speaks to you is quite amazing, imo.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

[QUOTE="wewantdoom4now"]

mems_1224

fixed

the other guy was right half life was a goddamn bore

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

dontshackzmii

story telling is something of a lost art in computer games, don't forget about the days of monkey island, day of the tentacle and other adventure games which seamlessly combined game and story. obviously a different type of game to those mentioned in the op but still games nonetheless ;)

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
What's so special about Half Life's story? :s
wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wewantdoom4now

[QUOTE="wewantdoom4now"]

mems_1224

fixed

quake is more fun than half life

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Yeah but the plot in all of em save the first 2/3rds of Bioshock(and then the final third and ending happens) aren't exactly compelling.
SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

I think Metroid Prime is perhaps the highest form of video game story telling. The entire story is told through the landscape. No speaking and no cutscenes. Just you and the game. You can either just play through it or stop, look around, and scan the environment to discover what is going on. YOU are the one who has to piece together the story, it isn't shoved in front of you. The story is optional, but it's there for you to discoverPikminmaniac

Actually, that sounds pretty boring to me. At least the way you described it - I've never played the game myself. But, just going from location to location searching for clues and traces of what might have happened there without any chance to interact with any character in real time, let alone to change his or her mind about anything, well, I don't think I would be immersed for too long before the feeling that I am in a very empty and static world would come. I don't know, maybe if I wanted to play a detective for a while or something. But that is not often.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

dontshackzmii

Why? Video games tell great stories aswell. If they could be decently ported to the movies.. that would be even better.

wewantdoom4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wewantdoom4now

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

tjricardo089

Why? Video games tell great stories aswell. If they could be decently ported to the movies.. that would be even better.

movies have better stories.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DraugenCP

Actually, that sounds pretty boring to me. At least the way you described it - I've never played the game myself. But, just going from location to location searching for clues and traces of what might have happened there without any chance to interact with any character in real time, let alone to change his or her mind about anything, well, I don't think I would be immersed for too long before the feeling that I am in a very empty and static world would come. I don't know, maybe if I wanted to play a detective for a while or something. But that is not often.SciFiRPGfan

Yeah, it sounds boring, but it isn't. I was sceptical at first myself, but when I made the effort of delving into Prime's world, I became immersed by it like few other games could. This applies to Prime 2 as well. I urge you to give it a try sometime.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DraugenCP

Lox_Cropek

That pic is such bullcrap. Designing a shooter like in the old days (find key, open door) would really make the game feel ancient.

WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#45 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

I think BioShock's story is very overrated. It's pretty clever and is based around some interesting philosophical ideas, but the way it goes about telling the story is extremely heavy-handed. Andrew Ryan's final monologue is just about as forced and overbearing as story sequences can get.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

I would like to add infamous2 to the list.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I think it depends as it is handled, for example Bioshock used the no cutscene (except for brief end and beginning) route very well, while other games, like Halo for example use them as a chance to advnce the story in between missions. While taking full control away from a player isnt alwaya a good thing, it can show things not possible through in-game first person perspective. An example is, again Halo, in Halo 3 you have an epic cutscene of the space battle to land on the ark, and as the level starts you go 'in game' to your normal point of view, ad besides for breif moments to highlight moments, the story during the level is told as we play, for example how the space battl is gong, the landing of the UNSC ship.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]How the hell so?foxhound_fox

I agree 100%. ;)

Cutscenes and the cinematic feel are so "important" nowadays that game design became the least priority for many mainstream developers. You can clearly see how games such as The Force Unleashed II were developed around the cutscenes, with anything between one movie and the other for the player mash some buttons. It's sad.

Paoksis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 Paoksis
Member since 2006 • 589 Posts

unfolding a story in real time needs balls,thats why...prerendered cutscenes is like a walk in the park