Story-driven vs Arcade-like games

Posted by pitty8982 (1007 posts) 1 year, 8 months ago

Poll: Story-driven vs Arcade-like games (41 votes)

Story-driven 41%
Arcade-like 59%

What's your overall preference?

In the arcade games I'm including all those games that don't rely on story, or if they do, it's very minimal, i.e. Super Mario platformers. Also some FPS's, sports, racings, fightings, simulations etc... - multiplayer or not - and all those games that just test the player's skill through their gameplay/game mechanics.

In the story-driven games I include all those games that really absorb you into the story and thus heavily rely on it.

#1 Posted by afrihan (117 posts) -

No story-driven game will ever beat the fun I had with arcade games. I miss the days where people would go to the arcades, play games and socialize with the people there. And I miss the Dreamcast, too.

I'd be happy with more Arcade games, but arcade games nowadays are in the form of online multiplayer.

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (56917 posts) -

I prefer story driven games. Arcade games are cool but they never hook me for long

#3 Posted by iandizion713 (16025 posts) -

Arcade games all the way. I read books and watch TV Shows, Movies, etc. Most story games bore me.

#4 Posted by ConanTheStoner (17370 posts) -

Throwing all of the gameplay driven titles/genres under the term Arcade-like seems a bit odd, but I won't go semantics stupid on ya, I see what you're saying. I just have a very specific idea of games that fall under arcade-like titles. Like MGSV for example, that game is absolutely gameplay driven, but it's hardly what I would call an Arcade-like title.

But yes, I'm about the gameplay driven stuff 100%. Those are the games that I can immediately enjoy and they're also the games I can get mileage out of for years after the fact. I can still jump right back into my favorite beat em ups, platformers, fighting games, stealth games, shooters, action adventures, etc. and have a great time no matter how old they are. The story driven stuff that I used to enjoy? Well that stuff just remains in the past. Might have been an interesting one-off, but that's about it.

@iandizion713 said:

Arcade games all the way. I read books and watch TV Shows, Movies, etc. Most story games bore me.

That's pretty much my take on it. When I want a story, I prefer to just sit back and enjoy a good story. When I feel like gaming I feel like gaming, plain and simple. I understand that there is room for both in this medium, but stories in games rarely appeal to me. As I get older I become increasingly less tolerant of games wasting my time and game stories tend to be a big offender when it comes to that. They usually do bore me and when they're too intrusive they frustrate me.

They do have their place of course. For example, I'm not going to enjoy a CRPG much if their isn't some decent story to go along with it. But for the most part I prefer the narrative to be in the back seat, or not even present at all in some cases.

#5 Posted by I_P_Daily (7676 posts) -

I love my racing games, so arcade for me as i can make my own fun in games like Forza Horizon 3.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (28190 posts) -

Fun > story and context

#7 Edited by Pikminmaniac (11261 posts) -

I tend to greatly dislike games that focus on story. I much prefer a focus on quality gameplay, level design,and player-focused interaction.

Games like Uncharted 2 or Bioshock Infinite are almost completely devoid of engaging content for a person like me.

#8 Posted by Howmakewood (5222 posts) -

Mostly you get a lot more out of the gameplay focused ones, few story driven ones are worth a replay

#9 Edited by Alucard_Prime (9410 posts) -

I'm more into arcade type gameplay but I absolutely love a good story and ideally I look for games that have both. TitanFall 2 is a good example, the gameplay is arcade like but while playing through the campaign it is the cool story that is driving me forward.

#10 Edited by Juub1990 (7929 posts) -

I'm having a blast with DOOM and there is barely any story. Quantum Break bores me to death and supposedly it has a great story.

#11 Edited by italygamer (635 posts) -

I finish most games without fully understanding their story. In fact very rarely am I attracted by a story in games to the point that I'd follow every single dialogue or read those annoying papers or books that you find along the game, like for example this:

In fact I wonder how many people actually bother reading all those collectibles scattered throughout the games?

So, I actually play games, even story-driven games just to enjoy the gameplay part of them. I definitely finished Dishonored collecting but ignoring most of the book excerpts/notes and focused on reading info useful to the gameplay itself, like how to use super powers, in what situations, their function and so on.

#12 Edited by jg4xchamp (61470 posts) -

In that context, arcade. Because video game stories are pretty bad, sans like maybe 5 of them that aren't point and click adventure games. And Point and click adventure games are usually really bad puzzle games, sans like 5 of them.

#13 Posted by aigis (7354 posts) -

A great story driven game will always best a great arcade game

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#14 Edited by storm_of_swords (2267 posts) -

Definitely arcade games.

I can enjoy a great story-driven game on occasion, but I don't care for most of them. I can count the number of story-driven games that I've enjoyed on my fingers. When I want a great story, I have movies, TV shows, and books for that and those mediums provide better stories than I've ever seen in a video game. When I play games, I'm generally doing it because I want a fun challenge.

The biggest reason why I tend to prefer retro games over modern games is because I find games are too story-driven these days and we don't get enough arcadey experiences that are just focused on fun and challenging gameplay anymore.

#15 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20001 posts) -

Arcade, ofc. I can't think of many story driven games that I've ever replayed.

Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
#16 Posted by deactivated-58319077a6477 (4954 posts) -

Story-Driven

#17 Posted by ArchoNils2 (9903 posts) -

Depends on the genre, a JRPG for example needs a solid story or a fantastic gameplay. However, overall I'd rather have a gamelay focus instead of a story focus. I can live without games like Uncharted.

#18 Posted by mark1974 (4201 posts) -

Arcade/ gameplay focused. Games are supposed to be fun and actually "games". The stories in video games have always been mostly worthless and I think it's the last thing developers should make the primary element of a game. If you want a good story you need to watch a movie.

#19 Posted by Sushiglutton (6889 posts) -

I have trouble to keep playing pure arcade games like Luftraussers for long tbh. It's that there are so many games out there that it's nice to have a beginning and end. That said I did play the arcade mode a ton in games like Arkham Asylum, Call of Juarez, Mirror's Edge etc. So I kind of like both I guess, but leaning towards story these days.

#20 Edited by cainetao11 (34585 posts) -

I don't have a preference. I like/dislike games on an individual basis for when it comes to this topic.

Unlike others I don't believe games stories are all shit. I haven't written or created any story of note so what would I know about that?

As I have gotten older I do play many games because gaming has become a story telling medium along with being a hobby of improving playing skills. And I can dig both types of games. Some I don't care for, some I like. But when I make a conscious decision to not like a type of game then I have gone into it with a strike against it already. Don't see the point in that in a hobby I am trying to use as a form of entertainment.

That's not to say I don't have genre's I don't care for. RTS, racing and fighting games aren't really my thing. But I will play one or two for the story or gameplay itch.

#21 Edited by Telekill (7821 posts) -

I prefer story driven but also enjoy arcade type games.

#22 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (16561 posts) -

Definitely story-driven.

#23 Posted by afrihan (117 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

I have trouble to keep playing pure arcade games like Luftraussers for long tbh. It's that there are so many games out there that it's nice to have a beginning and end. That said I did play the arcade mode a ton in games like Arkham Asylum, Call of Juarez, Mirror's Edge etc. So I kind of like both I guess, but leaning towards story these days.

There's an arcade mode in Arkham Asylum?

#24 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (23741 posts) -

Story-driven have their place such as adventure and RPG games. There, dialogue is key. Where there's dialogue, there better be a story.

For FPS games and other shooters, just the bare minimum would do because action (gameplay) is key. When I play a shooter, I want to kill everything in sight and not hear a sob story which then stops my fun mid-game.

Do I have room for both? Sure. Just don't mix em up.

#25 Posted by NakedHeadcrab (138 posts) -

It pretty much depends on the game's "personal appeal".

Serious Sam series has been really successful, it's one of the best arcade games to play solo or online; though this formula hasn't worked for other similar games.

The same goes for story-driven games: Outlast, Metro 2033/Last Light and Dishonored are good examples of great games that successfully absorb players into the story. However, some other story-driven games have failed in this attempt. Why? Many games are so heavily scripted that they eventually turn into a sort of interactive movie that can't be actually enjoyed.

#26 Posted by dynamitecop (6395 posts) -

A strong mix of both is what I have my roots in, I enjoy story driven games when I want to zone out of reality for a few hours, and arcade style games when I just want to have fun.

Also, make no mistake, just because a game is arcade based doesn't mean for a second that it doesn't possess engrossing levels of depth.

#27 Posted by italygamer (635 posts) -

Well I guess it has to do with the type of genre you're playing, like what sense would it make to play Tomb Raider without a story?

#28 Posted by lamprey263 (35412 posts) -

where do you draw the line between the two, you still have fun games that don't try to be realistic or cinematic but still have fun stories and you have games that care nothing except exposition and production values... I'll take gameplay first over the superficial bullshit, that's just where I weigh in on it

#29 Edited by italygamer (635 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

where do you draw the line between the two, you still have fun games that don't try to be realistic or cinematic but still have fun stories and you have games that care nothing except exposition and production values... I'll take gameplay first over the superficial bullshit, that's just where I weigh in on it

That's a good point.

#30 Posted by MirkoS77 (13044 posts) -

As a younger gamer arcade, but as I've grown older I prefer my games to have some amount of meaning and purpose instead of just gameplay. If it can hit a fine balance (TLoU), I'll choose that any day of the week over a game like Mario Galaxy.