uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

So I've been playing Sega Collections, and specifically a game I shouldn't be able to play. Castlevania: Bloodlines.

This is because Sega's workshop hacking has effectively allowed them to swap roms around. The emulator thinks this is Golden Axe, but nope, a fully working Casttlevania game.

Looking over the workshop, there are currently hundreds of roms from Mortal Kombat, Disney games, Dragonball games etc... Practically every major game released for the platform, and it's growing daily.

Given how recently a couple was sued foe 12 million dollars for hosting a rom site, and how Valve are essentially a giant bag of money, Is Valve about to be in shit if they aren't careful?

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

uh, that's an interessting story. I wonder what will happen

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

At least you got to play a really good game. Castlevania Bloodlines never gets the same amount of love as the other classic Castlevania games.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

When you upload stuff on the Workshop, you undoubtedly sign a hundred waivers saying that it is wholly your own work, any liability for copyright infringement is on the uploader, etc.

I doubt Steam will get in trouble for this, but Sega can probably sue the people uploading the files without too much trouble.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@Planeforger said:

When you upload stuff on the Workshop, you undoubtedly sign a hundred waivers saying that it is wholly your own work, any liability for copyright infringement is on the uploader, etc.

I doubt Steam will get in trouble for this, but Sega can probably sue the people uploading the files without too much trouble.

Like steam is going to give there information towards Sega good joke.

The only thing steam will do is remove them if they get a complain about it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

Pretty sure Sega is aware of it, but don't give a shit. Unlike Nintendo they aren't knob-heads to their fans.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hah, I was just playing this yesterday - but on my Genesis. Great game

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

So hackers used the emulator of a store game to run ROMs? I imagine this can be done on other platforms if one were so inclined. Hell, hackers were able to separate the emulators to PS2 games on PS3 to run their own ISOs to PS2 games. I imagine though platforms like Steam and consoles can look to see if users are altering files and ban them, is there not risk of that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Pretty sure Sega is aware of it, but don't give a shit. Unlike Nintendo they aren't knob-heads to their fans.

I doubt Nintendo see the people stealing games off ROM sites as 'fans'.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@boycie said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I doubt Nintendo see the people stealing games off ROM sites as 'fans'.

That's true. If they were fans they'd be trying to monetize their videos and closing down fan projects.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@AcidTango said:

At least you got to play a really good game. Castlevania Bloodlines never gets the same amount of love as the other classic Castlevania games.

Haven't played much in the way of Castlevania but I'm enjoying it far more so than the reboot, esp Mirrors Of Fate.

Thought Master Of Darkness on the SMS was better than the NES Castlevania, but like many games, Sega just ditched it and forgot about it.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Haven't played much in the way of Castlevania but I'm enjoying it far more so than the reboot, esp Mirrors Of Fate.

Thought Master Of Darkness on the SMS was better than the NES Castlevania, but like many games, Sega just ditched it and forgot about it.

Pretty much all classic Castlevania games are better then Mirrors Of Fate.

Never played Master Of Darkness but you're right about Sega ditching a lot of their other classic games.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

So I've been playing Sega Collections, and specifically a game I shouldn't be able to play. Castlevania: Bloodlines.

This is because Sega's workshop hacking has effectively allowed them to swap roms around. The emulator thinks this is Golden Axe, but nope, a fully working Casttlevania game.

Looking over the workshop, there are currently hundreds of roms from Mortal Kombat, Disney games, Dragonball games etc... Practically every major game released for the platform, and it's growing daily.

Given how recently a couple was sued foe 12 million dollars for hosting a rom site, and how Valve are essentially a giant bag of money, Is Valve about to be in shit if they aren't careful?

yeah...they designed a wild west open selling platform that is completely not curated because they overlooked legal concerns.

or not.

The people liable will be the company selling it, not Valve which just provides a store for those sales to happen and you can bet your ass they worked thru such questions with a legal team before they opened up Steam

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup

@AcidTango said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Pretty much all classic Castlevania games are better then Mirrors Of Fate.

Never played Master Of Darkness but you're right about Sega ditching a lot of their other classic games.

Master Of Darkness is dope, but it was only released in Europe. It's abit easier than Castlevania, doesn't fee; like someone is banging your anus without permission.

NES basically took all the third party so they just said "**** it, let's make it ourselfx".

MS has it's own Zelda as well.

Loading Video...