Steam OS Announced!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#151 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

Sorry for the very noobish question, but what maching do I need? To play STEAMOS games?? Thanks.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

IS THE STEAM OS GOING TO HAVE HALF LIFE 3??

NO? Then i'll stick to steam on a gaming PC...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Sorry for the very noobish question, but what maching do I need? To play STEAMOS games?? Thanks.

outworld222
Any pc will do . SteamOS is a front end for linux with heavy focus on gaming. Also there are no SteamOS games. Those are pc games running on windows and some of them are ported to Linux and hopefully with steam OS more will be ported over
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#154 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts
[QUOTE="outworld222"]

adamosmaki
Any pc will do . SteamOS is a front end for linux with heavy focus on gaming. Also there are no SteamOS games. Those are pc games running on windows and some of them are ported to Linux and hopefully with steam OS more will be ported over

Ah thanks for the explanation. Linux based for the most part.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Another possibility that I thought of:

Kinthalis

The reason for "to the metal" of consoles is because of fixed hardware. A developer knows exactly what kind of GPU, CPU, RAM every player will have and will optimize his game around that combination of hardware. On a PS4 game when he designs a level he doesn't have to go "I have to make sure this runs on those PS4 with 2 GB RAM too."

You can't do that on PC. You have to target a range of hardware and a crazy combination from different manufactures. You have to make it run on 2GB and 8 GB RAM, 280gtx and titan. You will never have that console like optimization on PC. Is the trade off you get for an open system so you need an API to standardize that mess somehow. 

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

A main issue that people always bring up is the lack of direct access to the GPU that develoeprs have in terms of the CPU. It's what consoel gamers always harp on "writing to the metal" not that nay of them understands what that actually means.

But regardless, since this is Steam's OS, it's entirely possible that they could mess with the GPU stack in such a way as to get the best of both worlds: An API that is flexible enough to accomodate various different hardware, AND optimized/open enough to allow CPU-like communicaiton at least for certain critical tasks that would normally have a lot of overhead on windows + DX.

It could mean parity in terms of performance between consoles and PC, as well the possibility of some really cool things coming out of creative, skilled developers, becase of it's open source nature.

Imagine the likes of indies on PC having near full access of the hardware as they do on consoles, but without having to spend the millions it takes to build a successful game there!

Kinthalis
I'm well aware of what the term means. Do you ever get tired of pretending you must be superior to everyone else?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#157 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

What we need is a SteamOS device that is less that $100 and includes a wireless controller and USB ports for mouse and keyboard support. The whole thing would be specifically for streaming games and accessing your PC library from your living room. I would happily part with my cash for that.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#158 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

A main issue that people always bring up is the lack of direct access to the GPU that develoeprs have in terms of the CPU. It's what consoel gamers always harp on "writing to the metal" not that nay of them understands what that actually means.

But regardless, since this is Steam's OS, it's entirely possible that they could mess with the GPU stack in such a way as to get the best of both worlds: An API that is flexible enough to accomodate various different hardware, AND optimized/open enough to allow CPU-like communicaiton at least for certain critical tasks that would normally have a lot of overhead on windows + DX.

It could mean parity in terms of performance between consoles and PC, as well the possibility of some really cool things coming out of creative, skilled developers, becase of it's open source nature.

Imagine the likes of indies on PC having near full access of the hardware as they do on consoles, but without having to spend the millions it takes to build a successful game there!

lowe0

I'm well aware of what the term means. Do you ever get tired of pretending you must be superior to everyone else?

The hell?  Did I even mention you, you idiot?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Kinthalis

Also:

ishXpnDqHhMzM.gif

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

edidili

The reason for "to the metal" of consoles is because of fixed hardware. A developer knows exactly what kind of GPU, CPU, RAM every player will have and will optimize his game around that combination of hardware. On a PS4 game when he designs a level he doesn't have to go "I have to make sure this runs on those PS4 with 2 GB RAM too."

You can't do that on PC. You have to target a range of hardware and a crazy combination from different manufactures. You have to make it run on 2GB and 8 GB RAM, 280gtx and titan. You will never have that console like optimization on PC. Is the trade off you get for an open system so you need an API to standardize that mess somehow. 

That is part of it. But there are, possibly, huge gains to be made by tlaking to the GPU as it were a CPU. Stuff that isn't even possible on consoles.

In fact, Valve has managed to improve performance of games like Left 4 dead 2 on Linux up to 80% vs windows. Pretty good.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Well there goes Gio's entire plasma tv arguement.

PC now has the living room locked down. No matter what. 

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I'm well aware of what the term means. Do you ever get tired of pretending you must be superior to everyone else?Kinthalis

Hilariously I think he was writing a reply to me in another thread but somehow posted that in this one :lol:.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

What we need is a SteamOS device that is less that $100 and includes a wireless controller and USB ports for mouse and keyboard support. The whole thing would be specifically for streaming games and accessing your PC library from your living room. I would happily part with my cash for that.

Timstuff
You could just build one that does that. The operating systems main use for now will be on console-like devices that will be announced in two days.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Jankarcop

More like a lazy fix. Now you get a bastardized media PC that pretends to be a console that ignores the advantages of either side :?

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

Jankarcop
That depends on SteamBox (if we talk about gaming).
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Kinthalis

You said "consoel gamers". I'm a console gamer. So yes, you did mention me.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#168 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

When Steam launched all it had were Valve games and a handful of other supporters and we hated it. 11 years on and it dominates the digital download market with an estimated 50 - 70% market share and around 5 million concurrent users at any one time.

They are doing the same again, only this time they are promoting a free OS specifically designed with living room gaming in mind. They are going to come into all kinds of flak from haters and naysayers. Give it time and I'll guarantee that with in a couple of years SteamOS will be a standard operating system used for gaming and home entertainment happily embraced by developers who are already largely annoyed by MS and their futile attempts to lock down PC games development. (Vista and windows 8)

This is just a first step, it will not be that long before many of us are dual booting our PC's with windows and SteamOS (many people already do with Windows and Linux). As it develops, eventually lots home PC's will be sole booting from SteamOS without a Windows installation being needed at all. It's going to take years to get to that stage, it's probably extremely unlikely that it will make a dent in the use of windows in businesses. Linux already offers many applications comparable to MS Office etc. and they are almost entirely free. Linux lacks focus and can be a pain to use but with Valve (and Google) seeing the value in it, it could gain the corporate know how and direction it sorely requires.

All in this could be the shake up that the home operating system market, almost entirely monopolised by MS, needs.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

OK. I suspected this would happen. This is great news. 

I tested Ubuntu 13.04 with Steam the other day ... bar entering one line into the command line interface - everything worked perfectly. 

But what Steam on Linux needs moving forward is native support for games. My steam list suffers a 90% cull if I only view the Linux titles. Plus why isn't Doom³, an ID Software game - linux enthusiasts, why isn't that Linux supported? :S

Ah well. They can only improve. Great that for the poor or anti-MS they have a PC option which unshackles gaming from windows (though at a ~90% cull)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#170 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

When Steam launched all it had were Valve games and a handful of other supporters and we hated it. 11 years on and it dominates the digital download market with an estimated 50 - 70% market share and around 5 million concurrent users at any one time.

They are doing the same again, only this time they are promoting a free OS specifically designed with living room gaming in mind. They are going to come into all kinds of flak from haters and naysayers. Give it time and I'll guarantee that with in a couple of years SteamOS will be a standard operating system used for gaming and home entertainment happily embraced by developers who are already largely annoyed by MS and their futile attempts to lock down PC games development. (Vista and windows 8)

This is just a first step, it will not be that long before many of us are dual booting our PC's with windows and SteamOS (many people already do with Windows and Linux). As it develops, eventually lots home PC's will be sole booting from SteamOS without a Windows installation being needed at all. It's going to take years to get to that stage, it's probably extremely unlikely that it will make a dent in the use of windows in businesses. Linux already offers many applications comparable to MS Office etc. and they are almost entirely free. Linux lacks focus and can be a pain to use but with Valve (and Google) seeing the value in it, it could gain the corporate know how and direction it sorely requires.

All in this could be the shake up that the home operating system market, almost entirely monopolised by MS, needs.

GarGx1

Exactly. All the crap this guy typed out. Valve e.t.c...

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I don't understand this. It can't actually run games, just stream them from an actual PC? What's the point of that? I mean it's not awful but it's not exactly a megaton either is it?
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="lowe0"] I'm well aware of what the term means. Do you ever get tired of pretending you must be superior to everyone else?lowe0

I said "not that many of them..."  Or that's what I meant to say, the ent swallowed my letters.

How about you ask for clarificaiton next time instead of assumign things and acting like a dick.

wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 wiiutroll
Member since 2013 • 543 Posts

GarGx1

but your data doesn't  count for the  fact that pc are use  more then  gaming and if  70%  doesn't  have  specs of  ps4 a or  xbone  then it's means they bought  pc  not  for only  gaming  as well as  someone of them having a  chance  of sharing  pc and i fail to see  what   you are talking will come about

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 ShadowriverUB

GarGx1
Problem is Google does not help Linux on desktop side other then providing Chrome and Android SDK to Linux: -Android is mobile UI that runs on top of Linux, it a Java-based platform that can run on there own and technically does not need Linux to function and could be run on any other system (some Chinese developer already ported Android to Windows, Cygwig style, http://asia.cnet.com/android-4-0-3-gets-a-native-port-to-windows-62220260.htm ) -Chrome OS.... it's just desktop looking Chrome browser that runs on top of Linux, does not even run any Linux desktop applications = does not attract developers to run code for Linux Steam is big step for Linux, it reanimates games on Linux (Linux already had sime big names games, but it was rare) and decently will attract more users to system, specially those dual-booters. But still there many things to be done, and same as you i belive Linux needs a shiny armor knight to help it out, because Canonical and Valve alone is not enoth to push Linux marketing.
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#175 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

I don't understand this. It can't actually run games, just stream them from an actual PC? What's the point of that? I mean it's not awful but it's not exactly a megaton either is it?locopatho

3 parts son. And if like me you have a huge pc, it's great news. If I want to play with the pad in the living room i can just use the magical valve dongle rather than carrying 30lb downstair or using a 20 foot HDMI cable.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I don't understand this. It can't actually run games, just stream them from an actual PC? What's the point of that? I mean it's not awful but it's not exactly a megaton either is it?locopatho

It can play Linux based games but those are rather few. Granted support will obviously rise.

One problem I can see arising if this takes off is developers using the Steambox as target hardware instead of the usual mid-range PCs. We still don't know if the Steambox will be fixed hardware or upgradeable though. If it's upgradeable then it sounds like it'll be a far cry from the living room plug & play replacement due to all the problems that will stem from switching hardware, installing drivers, etc. If it's fixed then Steamboxes will be outdated just as soon as regular consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#177 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

wiiutroll

but your data doesn't count for the fact that pc are use more then gaming and if 70% doesn't have specs of ps4 a or xbone then it's means they bought pc not for only gaming as well as someone of them having a chance of sharing pc and i fail to see what you are talking will come about

This gives me a headache just by reading it.. Did I say read it? I meant TRYING to read it.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Kinthalis

Well, they are saying that you would be able to play SOME games natively. Specificlaly, I'm guessing anything developed with SteamOS in mind, and possbly anythign that can run on OpenGL.

I mean, isn't that what console gamers are going to do this upcoming gen?  If they buy a PS4, they only get PS4 games from that point on.

It would suck if that's the situation with SteamOS, and it might not be. But yeah, it's likely that this is going to be the case.

Basically, people are tyring to compare this to a console and Valve attempting to appeal to the console demographic.  This might be the case with the other 2 announcements, but this particular one is clearly aimed at the core PC gaming market. People like me.

This is about people who already have gaming PC's and like to game on their PC's, but would also like to occasionally do some PC gmaing on the TV. This gives me a way to build a thin client for my TV, without having to worry about windows. 

It's niche, but only for now. Once third party manufacturers create hardware with this embdded OS, more options, for more mainstream customers might appear.

For example, smart TVs that cna stream games from your laptop/tablet, Roku-like devices that can do the same. And int he future, who knows? Dell/HPetc branded small form factor HTPC's with SteamOs for cheap, capable of playign games, and maybe even stream not only media, but a desktop OS to a "dumb" terminal.

I can see families doing that - having one main computing device that enhances mobile paltforms vs going the traditional desktop PC.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="locopatho"]I don't understand this. It can't actually run games, just stream them from an actual PC? What's the point of that? I mean it's not awful but it's not exactly a megaton either is it?whiskeystrike

It can play Linux based games but those are rather few. Granted support will obviously rise.

One problem I can see arising if this takes off is developers using the Steambox as target hardware instead of the usual mid-range PCs. We still don't know if the Steambox will be fixed hardware or upgradeable though. If it's upgradeable then it sounds like it'll be a far cry from the living room plug & play replacement due to all the problems that will stem from switching hardware, installing drivers, etc. If it's fixed then Steamboxes will be outdated just as soon as regular consoles.

Linux is constructed in a way that it does not need driver installations (in most cases), as drivers are integral part of kernel and it being distributed with it. http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/ Now days some manufacture submits code for hardware that not even relesed yet! Together with udev upgradability should not be any problem.... biggest problem is GPU drivers that both Nvidia (Aspecially) and AMD is shy about opensourceign them to kernel and require sperate instals, but if Valve will be smart it could done seemless.... it just 2 drivers. This brings to other aspect of Steam OS, it will attact more hardware manufacture to submit code to Linux kernel
ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="locopatho"]I don't understand this. It can't actually run games, just stream them from an actual PC? What's the point of that? I mean it's not awful but it's not exactly a megaton either is it?Kinthalis

Well, they are saying that you would be able to play SOME games natively. Specificlaly, I'm guessing anything developed with SteamOS in mind, and possbly anythign that can run on OpenGL.

I mean, isn't that what console gamers are going to do this upcoming gen?  If they buy a PS4, they only get PS4 games from that point on.

It would suck if that's the situation with SteamOS, and it might not be. But yeah, it's likely that this is going to be the case.

Basically, people are tyring to compare this to a console and Valve attempting to appeal to the console demographic.  This might be the case with the other 2 announcements, but this particular one is clearly aimed at the core PC gaming market. People like me.

This is about people who already have gaming PC's and like to game on their PC's, but would also like to occasionally do some PC gmaing on the TV. This gives me a way to build a thin client for my TV, without having to worry about windows. 

It's niche, but only for now. Once third party manufacturers create hardware with this embdded OS, more options, for more mainstream customers might appear.

Well it more like "Oh, we making this Steam OS for our console-like device, as our device is like PC, why not let install it on other PC if people like to do that?" then target hardcore PC gamers ;p Let's wait for SteamBox announcement to jurge it Speaking of hardcore PC gamers, you could dual boot Steam OS, making you games available faster then wait for booting Windows, it's cool option too
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 psymon100

I hope they release this by the weekend, would have some time to have a play with it. 

first thing to do is

sudo rm /

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 GarGx1

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

wiiutroll

but your data doesn't count for the fact that pc are use more then gaming and if 70% doesn't have specs of ps4 a or xbone then it's means they bought pc not for only gaming as well as someone of them having a chance of sharing pc and i fail to see what you are talking will come about

Did you miss this part while skimming my post?

"Linux already offers many applications comparable to MS Office etc. and they are almost entirely free"

Also 30% of 2 billion PC in use by 2014, means there are quite a few that are more powerful than the PS4 or Xbox One.

It's first step into a multi-billion dollar industry and it's going to take a long time for them to nail it down but I beleive that, with the right incentive to developers for both gaming and appilcations, they will get there. You do know that Valve offer more than games on Steam these days?

wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 wiiutroll

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"]

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

GarGx1

"Linux already offers many applications comparable to MS Office etc. and they are almost entirely free"

Also 30% of 2 billion PC in use by 2014, means there are quite a few that are more powerful than the PS4 or Xbox One.

It's first step into a multi-billion dollar industry and it's going to take a long time for them to nail it down but I beleive that, with the right incentive to developers for both gaming and appilcations, they will get there. You do know that Valve offer more than games on Steam these days?

they are use  business, jobs which you don't account for.Believe or  not  high end   pc are  use  more then gaming and  that  people are  not interested  in it.  They don't  have  industry  standard  appilcations.  

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ShadowriverUB

I hope they release this by the weekend, would have some time to have a play with it. 

first thing to do is

sudo rm /

psymon100
rm -rf / rm command alone does not delete directory without -r option on (you could use rmdir too), -f option force the delete if there any questionable files/directories
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Um.. I have no use for this...  Not with a 11mb download speed any way.  I doubt that would be good enough to stream PC games in HD.  So I guess one of the next few announcements is going to be a SteamBox? 

Crossel777
Why I have around 11-12 mb and i stream hd films to my smart tv in the same fashion from my pc....
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 psymon100

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

first thing to do is

sudo rm /

ShadowriverUB

rm -rf / rm command alone does not delete directory without -r option on (you could use rmdir too), -f option force the delete if there any questionable files/directories

Yeah that's right. I forgot. At least I remembered to

mkdir ~/.pr0n

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 GarGx1

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"] but your data doesn't count for the fact that pc are use more then gaming and if 70% doesn't have specs of ps4 a or xbone then it's means they bought pc not for only gaming as well as someone of them having a chance of sharing pc and i fail to see what you are talking will come about

wiiutroll

they are use business, jobs which you don't account for.Believe or not high end pc are use more then gaming and that people are not interested in it. They don't have industry standard appilcations.

Oh dear, you really don't know what you're on about, do you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercomputer

http://www.zdnet.com/20-great-years-of-linux-and-supercomputers-7000018681/

You don't get much more 'industry' than that

or for the more 'normal' industry usage, if this is what you're infering to

http://www.linux.com/directory/Software/applications

Anywhere that people use work stations, you will find Linux running the machines, especially where power and stability are needed. Yes your average office administrator and home user are running a version of windows, including just about everyone who frequents these forums, but the big boys use Linux.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#188 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I won't use this until the majority of games are on linux.

wiiutroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 wiiutroll

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"]

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

GarGx1

they are use business, jobs which you don't account for.Believe or not high end pc are use more then gaming and that people are not interested in it. They don't have industry standard appilcations.

Anywhere that people use work stations, you will find Linux running the machines, especially where power and stability are needed. Yes your average office administrator and home user are running a version of windows, including just about everyone who frequents these forums, but the big boys use Linux.

you  got be  kidding me, do you use  supercomputer    for gaming! This isn't linux  vs  pc. Architecture , 3d modeling and autocad isn't  for  linux , the workflow  doesn't work.None of the big boys  in these  industry use  linux, they use  macs to pcs.

/done

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#190 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Half Life 3 exclusive to Steam OS.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#191 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
definitely should have called it GLADoS
m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts
Valve should release a PC to HDTV streaming device similar to PS Vita TV. That would really take off I think
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 lowe0

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Kinthalis

I said "not that many of them..."  Or that's what I meant to say, the ent swallowed my letters.

How about you ask for clarificaiton next time instead of assumign things and acting like a dick.

So let me get this straight. You make a completely unsubstantiated personal attack... and it's my fault for not asking you for clarification? Wow.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 psymon100

Half Life 3 exclusive to Steam OS.

JangoWuzHere

That's crossed my mind. A timed exclusive. Why not?

Technically the only people it hurts are those who can't figure out how to run SteamOS, but they're probably quite busy figuring out how their underpants work too. 

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

[QUOTE="wiiutroll"]they are use business, jobs which you don't account for.Believe or not high end pc are use more then gaming and that people are not interested in it. They don't have industry standard appilcations.

wiiutroll

you  got be  kidding me, do you use  supercomputer    for gaming! This isn't linux  vs  pc. Architecture , 3d modeling and autocad isn't  for  linux , the workflow  doesn't work.None of the big boys  in these  industry use  linux, they use  macs to pcs.

/done

Emmm Linux works on PC ...and Windows is not PC as software is not hardware
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

What if it's a $50 dongle that you connect to your TV? Powered by SteamOS with nothing but the streaming capability. Kind of like the Chromecast. That would be freaking HUGE! Yeah I know you can just connect your PC to your TV but for most people that's not really convenient. But with a cheap dongle that streams from your PC, one of the major console advantages goes out of the window.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 ShadowriverUB

[QUOTE="locopatho"]I don't understand this. It can't actually run games, just stream them from an actual PC? What's the point of that? I mean it's not awful but it's not exactly a megaton either is it?nunovlopes

What if it's a $50 dongle that you connect to your TV? Powered by SteamOS with nothing but the streaming capability. Kind of like the Chromecast. That would be freaking HUGE! Yeah I know you can just connect your PC to your TV but for most people that's not really convenient. But with a cheap dongle that streams from your PC, one of the major console advantages goes out of the window.

It runs Linux games too and besides it would be waste for Valve to invest so much on Linux game devlopment... just to relese streaming dongle. Also Chromecast is not really steaming dongle, but internet content viewer based on Chrome running on Linux :p It different kind of thing unlike this SteamOS feature
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

extra post that was useless because the stupid window didn't update the text I wrote in it.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

Another linux distrobution, exactly what the linux community needs, instead of one solid OS another one specializing in something else.

In all seriousness I'm kind of upset they diddn't just leverage Ubuntu or something. The linux community really needs to focus on what it has and making that package the best possible package you can get. What you end up with is piles of linux's that are almost as good as windows. And even then some features are split up across different libraries to try to make a fully encompasing system.

I love the kernel, I hate all the developers behind the desktops on linux. I'll stick with windows.