Steam Machines and Steam Controllers shipping December 13th

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26578 posts) -

The time has come! We are ready to begin shipping Steam Machines and Steam Controllers to the 300 selected beta participants. The machines are due to leave the factory on Friday!

The 300 selected beta testers are being notified today (at about 2:00 p.m. Pacific Time) that they’ll soon receive Steam hardware and SteamOS for testing. Each selected user is also being awarded a special badge on their Steam Community profile, indicating that they’re a beta participant. In addition, a number of games that run natively on SteamOS are being added to each selected user’s library.

We’ve had to make the difficult decision to limit our beta to the U.S. only, because of regulatory hurdles. This was not our original plan, and it means we can’t collect beta feedback from Steam customers world-wide, which is pretty unfortunate. All things considered, we’re sure it was the right decision, because the alternative was to delay the whole beta beyond the point when we’d be able to incorporate any feedback into the 2014 products. This decision only affects Valve’s 300 prototype units;

the commercial versions of Steam Machines that are for sale in 2014 won’t be affected by this. More information on those will be announced at CES on January 6.

SteamOS will be made available when the prototype hardware ships. It will be downloadable by individual users and commercial OEMs. (But unless you’re an intrepid Linux hacker already, we’re going to recommend that you wait until later in 2014 to try it out.) We’ll post info soon about that. Oh, and stay tuned for the in-home streaming beta to begin soon, too!

Happy holidays. And happy unboxing to our beta testers. See you on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements

So it begins. Good luck to any US GameSpotters who signed up!

#2 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -

US only..... BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#3 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

cool beans

#4 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

Just give me Steam OS with that in-home streaming and I can try the controller later.

#5 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26578 posts) -

I want one of those boxes so bad. 3 hours until I find out if I'm a participant. I'm sure I am not, but I can dream, damnit.

#6 Edited by TheFadeForever (2649 posts) -

Valve has money to produce their own hardware and controllers looks like they have a shit ton of cash from games us pc gamers bought go figure

#7 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions said:

I want one of those boxes so bad. 3 hours until I find out if I'm a participant. I'm sure I am not, but I can dream, damnit.

yeah, chances aren't that good. 300 out of 70 odd million.

#8 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

Well the beta is now only for US participants so the odds are a little better I guess.

#9 Posted by TheEroica (17238 posts) -

I bet rage gets one... Dude is a level 40+ on steam... I've not seen anyone higher than that.

#10 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26578 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

What? 300 out of about 400,000. Minus those who aren't US residents. Still not good, but where the hell did you pull "70 million" from? Not familiar with the signup system for this, are you?

@TheEroica said:

I bet rage gets one... Dude is a level 40+ on steam... I've not seen anyone higher than that.

meh. someone on my friends list was like 70 or 80 last i checked.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#11 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30823 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

You'd just say you wanted one and show off the shipping order and then not open it and try and sell it on ebay :D

#12 Edited by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions said:

@lostrib said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

What? 300 out of about 400,000. Still not good, but where the hell did you pull "70 million" from? Not familiar with the signup system for this, are you?

oh i just used the number of steam accounts, I forgot you actually had to sign up for the beta program...which is odd since I'm pretty sure I'm in it

#13 Posted by gameofthering (11100 posts) -

@TheEroica: I've seen a few around level 160

#14 Edited by TheEroica (17238 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions: @gameofthering: Daumn!! That is some serious game time...

#15 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26578 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@Dreams-Visions: @gameofthering: Daumn!! That is some serious game time...

I have no idea how he did it and never asked. I think he just traded a lot of cards and such.

#16 Posted by uninspiredcup (24975 posts) -

Defiantly picking up the pad. That shit looks hot.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (57720 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Dreams-Visions said:

All 70 million Steam users signed up? Anyways, the odds are against me getting one :P

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#18 Edited by ShepardCommandr (4825 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

This guy is on my friends list and is level 131.....

#19 Edited by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I saw a level 164 a few weeks ago.

#20 Posted by KHAndAnime (17565 posts) -

I wish I signed up, but I forgot to. I live really close to Valve's offices and have a Steam account from when Steam just started, I feel like I may have had a chance..

#21 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26578 posts) -

courtesy Reddit:

#22 Posted by -Unreal- (24650 posts) -

SteamOS on friday then.

#23 Posted by Snugenz (13388 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

^^ FU Steam, FU Gabe

#24 Posted by gameofthering (11100 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions said:

courtesy Reddit:

It's not over 400K anymore since they made it US only. So he's not "that" lucky :P

#26 Posted by cainetao11 (32498 posts) -

wonder if hl3 is going to be their big exclusive at launch.

#27 Edited by Jankarcop (11056 posts) -

pc wins again

#28 Posted by PC_Otter (1623 posts) -

Sounds awesome.

I'm interested in one of those $500 iBuyPower machines myself.

#29 Edited by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

*cough* http://steamcommunity.com/id/sinsrebellion

#31 Edited by osirisx3 (2113 posts) -

console pc hybird has never worked